1. #1

    [BM] exactly stat priority?

    i got now 7,5% hit 15% expertise... and now is the question till wich point is haste usefull and what comes after haste more mastery or crit?

    if its already at the brewmaster guide im sry

  2. #2
    There's no total consensus on the best stat priority for Brewmasters. If you can't be bothered thinking or reading then just reforge everything to haste and crit like most brewmasters you will see running around. If you'd like a better idea on the reasons behind prioritising one stat over another so that you can make a decision for yourself on what you think is best then you should browse around the Monk forum here, there are plenty of threads full of stat priority discussion.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Lameoxx View Post
    i got now 7,5% hit 15% expertise... and now is the question till wich point is haste usefull and what comes after haste more mastery or crit?

    if its already at the brewmaster guide im sry
    You can do just fine with 7.5% Expertise, 15% is mostly (not always) a waste over other stats, though if you want it it's not the worst thing ever. And it's QUITE clear in the guide about the order of the other stats. Like there's a very clear line that says Haste > Crit > Parry > Dodge > Mastery. Like, it's right under the section that talks about stat priorities. You know, if you'd even ATTEMPTED to look at the guide.

  4. #4
    The correct answer is that it depends on the gear you already have. Stat values change relative to each other based on how much of each you already have, and as a result the priority order changes too. There is an excellent modelling tool, courtesy of Venyasure over at Elitist Jerks, which calculates how much damage you avoid per additional point of each stat. Do keep in mind that this tool only does what it says it does, and it is up to the user to interpret its generated data.

    http://www.filedropper.com/brewmasterspreadsheetcopy_1

  5. #5
    Also what content are you running?

    Heroic Mode Raids? Some encounters prefer Stamina/Mastery to reduce spikeyness of damage when overall damage mitigation is less of an issue.

    Heroic mode dungeons? Why are we even talking about 7.5% anything as if it actually exists as a number for this content?

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Disgruntler View Post
    Also what content are you running?

    Heroic Mode Raids? Some encounters prefer Stamina/Mastery to reduce spikeyness of damage when overall damage mitigation is less of an issue.

    Heroic mode dungeons? Why are we even talking about 7.5% anything as if it actually exists as a number for this content?
    Because people are used to coming to forums and getting a number thrown at them which they can follow blindly.

  7. #7
    15% expertise is doing it wrong - the math that supported this was flawed, as stated by the original author (Venyasure of EJ). There's little reason (beyond getting extra benefit from your Ox Statue) to stack Expertise and Hit from a survivability standpoint. Blackout Kick applies Shuffle even if you miss and you get most of your energy back if you miss a Jab or Keg Smash. The only thing you lose is the efficient Chi generation of Keg Smash (which is nothing to sneeze at) and threat generation at the start of the pull (which as much as folks like to say is rarer than getting struck by lightning, you'll still notice it if your hit/exp is low enough).

    There's currently a lively debate in another thread on this forum about whether you should even bother to get hit/exp up to 7.5%. It's looking like the discussion is leaning towards no.

    So, what stats?

    1) Get enough Stamina, and possibly Mastery to survive the encounters you're tanking. If you aren't doing Heroic Modes, its doubtful that you'll really need to stack Mastery, and you don't need much Stamina.

    2) Hit and Expertise to taste, honestly. The jury's still out here. At least you can say that there's a much better argument for tanks to stack these stats than there was back in Cataclysm. If you want a smoother rotation, better Ox Statue healing, and you want to be quick at picking up adds, then you can go for the caps (soft for expertise): 7.5%/7.5%. If you don't mind a miss now and then, and you just want raw survivability against bosses, then you can drop your hit/exp below those caps and do just fine. Don't drop too far, or your rotation may get unreliable, but there is not much reason beyond personal preference to even go to 7.5%/7.5%. Hit and Exp are also the best DPS stats, and Tank DPS matters for enrage timers, especially for 10 mans.

    3) Agi>Haste>Crit>Mastery. Agi gives Dodge and makes your Guard stronger. Haste gives more shuffle uptime and Chi for Purifying Brew. Crit gives faster stacks of Elusive Brew. Mastery increases the amount of damage you send to your Stagger debuff, and thus increases your survivability against burst damage.

    I've seen HM Brewmasters who go for heavy Mastery/Stam, and others who are Hit/Exp/Haste/Crit. Find a balance with Stam/Hit/Exp/Mastery where you and your healers are comfortable, then get more Haste and Crit.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Felade View Post
    So, what stats?

    1) Get enough Stamina, and possibly Mastery to survive the encounters you're tanking. If you aren't doing Heroic Modes, its doubtful that you'll really need to stack Mastery, and you don't need much Stamina.

    2) Hit and Expertise to taste, honestly. The jury's still out here. At least you can say that there's a much better argument for tanks to stack these stats than there was back in Cataclysm. If you want a smoother rotation, better Ox Statue healing, and you want to be quick at picking up adds, then you can go for the caps (soft for expertise): 7.5%/7.5%. If you don't mind a miss now and then, and you just want raw survivability against bosses, then you can drop your hit/exp below those caps and do just fine. Don't drop too far, or your rotation may get unreliable, but there is not much reason beyond personal preference to even go to 7.5%/7.5%. Hit and Exp are also the best DPS stats, and Tank DPS matters for enrage timers, especially for 10 mans.

    3) Agi>Haste>Crit>Mastery. Agi gives Dodge and makes your Guard stronger. Haste gives more shuffle uptime and Chi for Purifying Brew. Crit gives faster stacks of Elusive Brew. Mastery increases the amount of damage you send to your Stagger debuff, and thus increases your survivability against burst damage.

    I've seen HM Brewmasters who go for heavy Mastery/Stam, and others who are Hit/Exp/Haste/Crit. Find a balance with Stam/Hit/Exp/Mastery where you and your healers are comfortable, then get more Haste and Crit.
    1. Even if doing Heroic modes, mastery stacking is a waste of time. There are very few encounters right now where I would stack mastery.
    2. 7.5% for both is optimal for smooth rotations. You aren't losing out on survivability. At all.
    3. Correct.

    Sig made by Shyama. Click sig for current Warlock armory.
    Forthright Website - Blog coming soon.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •