Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    1.4.5 "Magic Pack" Just released on the FTB Launcher!

My wife and I tried this, as an 'alternative' to tekkit/technic.

We did it LAN style. No matter what the settings, framerate issues, and/or screen glitchyness galore.

We have nearly identical PCs, minus hers having 16GB Ram vs my 8. 560Ti, 2500K ... really shouldn't be much of a problem, especially since we've run tekkit servers with our friends.

We went back to using Technic on LAN, we just want to play together with mods for now, no server hostings. We gave FTB an honest try, and might again in the future ... but for us, the ease and simplicity of Tekkit, smooth working version, far outweighs Feed the Beast, for the moment.

Good to see options for people, especially for those who don't want to mess with doing mods on their own, or want a simple solution to play with friends, and a no-stress way to get everyone on the same playing field, no matter their technical level.

It is a shame to see the Tekkit hate here. Personally, don't care about anyone's negativity to it. If they were complaining about real playability issues, not some past drama, that is one thing ... in fact, it is the reason I'm posting here, to bring up a FtB issue, possibly so one of the experienced with it can provide a solution to someone who may read this thread, who either doesn't post much, or doesn't have an account here ... so they can get help ... and I will lurk for the suggestions.

In no way do I intend any negativity towards FtB. The launcher is more elegant than tekkit, and it feels you have more control over everything. I hope to see this continue, grow, and get all its bugs worked out. With regular updates, I'll be testing it once in a while to see if the problems my wife and I have go away ... but we aren't going to waste our time for the moment with a choppy game, we will just continue Technic on LAN and test FtB for improvements over time, with clean installs and checking on forums for fixes.

Have fun with whichever mod pack you run ^_^ Modded minecraft is how the game should be, with the money notch/mojang has made. It is a shame a bunch of people doing stuff for fun for the community can make the game so much better than the developers raking in millions (cough* throw the mod makers a bone and include their stuff and options imo).

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zeropeorth View Post
    -snip-
    Biggest drawback is tekkit is still 1.2.5. The mods are very outdated. FTB is also a beta pack. It's official release hasn't been made available yet and wont likely be available until RP2 and EE3 are ready.

If you're having performance issues you should install optifine or look at your settings in Minecraft. Also make sure your drivers are up to date.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zeropeorth View Post
    It is a shame to see the Tekkit hate here. Personally, don't care about anyone's negativity to it. If they were complaining about real playability issues, not some past drama, that is one thing ... in fact, it is the reason I'm posting here, to bring up a FtB issue, possibly so one of the experienced with it can provide a solution to someone who may read this thread, who either doesn't post much, or doesn't have an account here ... so they can get help ... and I will lurk for the suggestions.
    There is no Tekkit hate here, certainly not on my part. I (the OP) use Tekkit on a daily basis and still have a private Tekkit server. I tried hard not to over exaggerate the issue or take sides in the OP, however I felt it necessary to point out that there have been issues (which there have) where permission was not granted to use all the mods in the Technic launcher (which is wasn't) and that the FTB launcher definitely does have permission from all the adon developers (which they have) for those who care enough for this to make a difference.

I think the whole situation was blown out of all proportion and could have probably been handled better on all sides of the argument without causing such harsh divides within the Minecraft modding community. It's certainly a sad day when people like the FTB devs and the Technic Pack devs feel they can't work together for the benefit of players. I'm sure we would have some fantastic progress if these guys could put aside their differences and work together.

For the record, I'm not actually using the FTB pack right now either. There are just too many issues and bugs to iron out before I can invest in it fully. I will however be swapping my Tekkit server over to a FTB server when it's more stable. Now this is not down to any want or need to ditch Tekkit, but rather me wanting a server running on a more recent build of the Minecraft core. If Tekkit was updated to 1.4.5 I'd probably play them both side by side and certainly wouldn't be getting rid of my server... but as it feels Tekkit will probably never be updated it's only a matter of time before we have to find an alternative... and what a fantastic alternative will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post
    Yes! You can actually buy Proven Frames from some villagers with emeralds. It's the only way to get them AFAIK. They give the max output. If you find someone that sells them, buy a lot
    I think that only difference is duriability, otherwise they have the same output (maybe they are slightly different).

Also, I think I spoiled myself too much with recipes, now I stopped mining diamonds, redstone and lapis until I get silk touch, that way I will get bigger output (2 diamonds from single ore).
    Last edited by Verdugo; 2012-12-03 at 05:31 PM.

Deleted
    Hello, I would firstly like to introduce myself,
    I am one of the developers of the FTB launcher, and I would just like to say how great it is to see so many people using it and enjoying it.

When we started this project a few months ago we didn't expect it to escalate the way it has, and it's been a really crazy month.

I'd like you all to know that we are grateful for the support you all show us, and that I will be keeping watch of this thread

Thanks
    Last edited by mmoc4d97fd07d5; 2012-12-04 at 09:35 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jjw123 View Post
    I'd like you all to know that we are grateful for the support you all show us, and that I will be keeping watch of this thread
    *searches for the "like" button*

I was playing tekkit with some friends not long ago, and honestly even the beta version has been more enjoyable. Due to our relatively low skill level with computers n stuffs (as a collective, personally some people are fine to handle modding), making sure everyone has the right mods can be a pain and a timewaster. It's much easier to point at a pack and say "we're playing this". Anyway, to the point.

While I await desperately for the new redpower to be out and in FTB, I must say overall FTB seems to have more complimentary mods. Maybe I just hated EE2, but I felt it trivialized the entirety of the game. People can say "oh but it was an endgame thing" but the fact is, it not only made endgame hit within about 5 real life hours, it also made it trivially easy to do anything in endgame. Hopefully EE3 is better (unrelated to the actual packs, but I feel the choice of mods to add is relevant to the pack in its entirety)

Twilight forest is amazing, and between about 6 of us we haven't encountered a single bug on FTB so far. I understand this may be slightly down to luck but honestly, it's not the bugheap some people make it out to be. A beta may be intended to iron out bugs but it doesn't state or even imply that it must be full of bugs just because its beta.

Regardless, keep up the great work FTB team. Personally I really love the thought of a modpack with no EE2 regardless of what it is, but usually whenever I've needed assistance it's already been answered. Despite Tekkit being "live" for so long I encountered endless amount of bugs and found it difficult to find my way through the game at times, not true for FTB so far.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably going to move away from FTB. Seems to be drama going on with them atm and I'd rather get out now before I get too attached to it. Probably just gonna stick with doing my own "pack", something along the lines of Fuzzies stuff but with a chunk of it gutted.

Deleted
    Just started playing the Universal Electricity modpack which is part of FTB. I've not got far enough into it to really judge the collection of mods but it's definitely an interesting alternative to the mods we are all familiar with. I'll post more if I manage to get something interesting going.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by spambanjo View Post
    Just started playing the Universal Electricity modpack which is part of FTB. I've not got far enough into it to really judge the collection of mods but it's definitely an interesting alternative to the mods we are all familiar with. I'll post more if I manage to get something interesting going.
    Only mod I'm really familiar with is the ICBM mod. I like the idea of universal electricity, but it bothers me that the mod author refused to make it compatible with other energies (EU, MJ etc).

15+ Year Old Account
    This is kinda interesting:

With the Feed The Beast Launcher now getting to the point where the distribution of mods is getting close to stable; we are ready to move onto the next stage of our plans for the launcher. From day one, we planned to have the launcher useable not just by the FTB Mod Packs, but also by the community. Over time we want to enable server admins and other people to create their own mod packs, and provide them with the infrastructure to distribute and install these mods for their communities in a safe and secure manner.

With this in mind; we expect these packs to adhere to the same standards that we have for ourselves. Specifically mod packs must have full consent for each and every mod included. However I do not wish to swamp Mod Developers with requests for consent to distribute. My plan to alieviate this is the Central Permissions Repository. This central repository will be hosted on the Feed the Beast website. Mod pack developers can draw on this database when creating a pack, secure in the knowledge that these mods are pre-approved for distribution.

I would ask that any mod developer that is willing to add their mod to this repository join the website at:

http://www.feed-the-beast.com

and then go to this thread:

http://forum.feed-th...y-mod-packs.48/

Please leave the details of your mod, along with any conditions you wish to add with regards to distribution (this may incude limiting the use of which mods may be distributed alongside your mod, or how far your permissions extend). From this, your mod will then be added onto the Central Permissions List, which mod pack makers can use. Please do not post anything in the thread that is not related to mod pack permissions.
    Source: http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/...od-developers/

The only thing I dont understand is that server specific mod packs don't require permissions so... How will that work?

10+ Year Old Account
    This is kinda interesting:

Source: http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/...od-developers/

The only thing I dont understand is that server specific mod packs don't require permissions so... How will that work?
    Sounds good. I really hope they give us the ability to create our own "pack". I like the aesthetics of the launcher and would like to use it as a "replacement" for MultiMC. Plus this would make it easy for me to distribute a pack to family and friends. (Or have Fuzzie distribute his)

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Greevir View Post
    Sounds good. I really hope they give us the ability to create our own "pack". I like the aesthetics of the launcher and would like to use it as a "replacement" for MultiMC. Plus this would make it easy for me to distribute a pack to family and friends. (Or have Fuzzie distribute his)
    Given the list of mods that already has permission, I just don't know. Granted it's only been a day, but right now Forestry is already off the table.

Creating and maintaining a mod pack is not something I'm really that interested in. The hassle of permissions is just not worth the time. My list is pretty much FTB + a few other things so you can pretty much add them if you wish.

10+ Year Old Account
    Meh, was merely a thought. I really can't say the last time I've actually used FTB anyways. Been busy playing with your setup.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Greevir View Post
    I really can't say the last time I've actually used FTB anyways
    I'm in the same boat at the moment. I had to nuke the Tekkit server I use so now it's just me playing on there which is kind of nice, but mostly I've been playing (almost) Vanilla with my 7 year old son.

I found out about a way to trick the LAN game into allowing multiplayer with just one account so we are milking it while it's still an option. We played for a while on creative mode (he said it was like futuristic Lego lol) but I suggested trying survival mode and he gave it a go. He's absolutely loving it, can't wait till I can grab him an account of his own so I can introduce him to Tekkit and FTB.

15+ Year Old Account
    I think a lot of people are holding out for RP2 and EE3 pr2. It's probably when we'll see an update to ftb. As many mods as you can build with FTB as it stands, its missing 2 huge components.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hello everyone,

Due to a minor error, peoples usernames and passwords were printed to the console in a recent launcher version. We apologise for this, and would recommend everyone that pasted a recent log to pastebin to change your passwords; only users that pasted logs relating to failed login were affected by this all other logs did not contain any passwords. We will be doing absolutely everything in our power to ensure that nothing like this happens again, but if you suspect you may have posted it to pastebin, we strongly recommend you change the password now, to avoid any unfortunate things happening with your details. Once again we apologise for any inconvenience caused.

-jjw123 and the rest of the launcher team
    http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/

15+ Year Old Account
    lovely... lol

I've kinda cooled off on FTB. Ever since Slowpoke decided to use the news to troll people about redpower. It's just very unprofessional and looks bad on him and his community.

Deleted
    Ever since Slowpoke decided to use the news to troll people about redpower. It's just very unprofessional and looks bad on him and his community.
    Indeed. It's just not cricket