Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ...
    Brazil women ;] and bad video gamers...

---------- Post added 2012-11-22 at 12:10 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Chaozu View Post
    Know next to nothing about Brazil, when we studied geography in School we basically went through the world real quick and focused the most on Sweden's own "landskap" for whatever reason.

The things that came to mind when I saw the thread:
    It's in south America.
    They have really beautiful women.
    They love football.

That's pretty much it. ^^

How much do you know about Sweden?
    When I think of Sweden I think of a Blonde skinny dude named Hanns...

Provides me with paper and has pretty decent crime rates.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaozu View Post
    How much do you know about Sweden?
    Köttbullar and blondes please.

Well i'm positively surprised. Some people really do know quite a bit about this country. I'll highlight the major points and comment on how they affect my life particularly as someone who lives in Brazil.

What you know:
    -Colonized by Portugal (Interesting story)
    -Portuguese speakers (Alone in south america. Another interesting point)
    -Great in soccer (Don't care)
    -Giant Jesus statue (Don't care)
    -Hot women (True, can't complain)
    -Nice beaches (That's cool)
    -Nice weather (That's cool)
    -Carnival and crazy parties (I don't like Carinival and i don't go to crazy parties)
    -Samba (I don't like samba, it's annoying as hell. I'd rather listen to good music)
    -Capoeira (Lousy fight-styled. I learned Karate and Jiu-Jitsu instead. More effective.)
    -Bad and rude in video games (Generally true, which is why i play with americans. There are some individual good players tho)
    -Deforestation (I don't see it happening, don't know much about it)
    -Crimes and slums (It exists, rarely affects my life tho)

What you don't know:
    -Low culture. A typical brazilian youngman rarely or never reads a book, isn't used to philosophical debates/thinking, lacks general knowledge (you know more about brazil than he knows about your country)
    -Weak democracy. Political thinking is not common here, maybe due to the above. And as mentioned above, we had several constitutions.
    -Religious folks. The typical brazilian is surprisingly a religious guy, bearing conservative values. Traditionally a catholic country. Spirtism is widely popular here aswell.
    -Agricultural economy. I think it wasn't mentioned that the core of our economy has always been exporting agricultural products.
    Last edited by Magemaer; 2012-11-23 at 11:29 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Syro View Post
    Rio, brasilia, amazon, that dance karate, samba, big booties, brazilian waxing, crazy football fans with ak s, corinthians, sao paolo, santos, ronaldinho, robinho, neymar, tchu tchu tcha, michel telo, gustavo lima, that rio statue of jesus, amazing beaches, decent telenovelas, ronaldo, rivaldo, pele, dida, kaka and many other soccer players, i think i already mentioned big booties, amazing beach voley team <3, and many other things .

Also i live half way around the world, distance isnt a reason to be ignorant.
    It's called Capoeria.

10+ Year Old Account
    GIBE MONI PLS HEUheuSHEUAhASEUHAuehsuaheaUEHasehaUEHASEHAuehuasha

10+ Year Old Account
    and bad video gamers...
    Tell that to the guy that defeated Tokido at the Street Fighter 25th Anniversary event.

Quote Originally Posted by Hraklea View Post
    Tell that to the guy that defeated Tokido at the Street Fighter 25th Anniversary event.
    As i said there are some exceptional players. It's just that the majority is crap. But what majority isn't crap, right?

I know what most people know about Brazil. They really love Mordekaiser, and that he es infact numbero uno.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    When Brazil is next up on the minds of most people to becoming a Superpower, a little bit of awareness would go a long way.

Sure it's easy to say "hey you know nothing about (tiny insignificant country in Africa with the GDP of a town full of Quakers)" but that's not really the same thing as saying someone is ignorant about Brazil. That's like poking fun at someone for not knowing the Capital of China, then blasting back at you for not knowing the national bird of Zaire.
    No, it is the same thing.

It's about each individuals experience with the world at large. I could know the average cornflake consumption of Brazil, but short of being a rep for Kellogg l don't see how that information would be of any use to anyone.

It's easy to say that country XXX is doing YYY in the world arena and so is a concern for everyone else but when it comes down to it, it's not going to directly affect everyone on the planet in a major way and when they all have their own lives, their own concerns, why should they waste their time learning about it? Not saying there is anything wrong with people who take an interest in other countries but there is when they try to act superior over those that don't.

I know where Brazil is on the map. I also know 17 programming languages to a degree that I could code in a text editor and know they will compile without fault, I also help maintain the IT infrastructure of 4 hospitals and a handful of health clinics in the UK.

And I'm dumb because I know nothing about a country on the other side of an ocean from me?

GTA 6 will be on Brasil

I know Brazil has a spider that, if it bites you, will give you a painful erection for hours which might kill you.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    I know Brazil has a spider that, if it bites you, will give you a painful erection for hours which might kill you.
    Yeah, it's scary. T.T

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazilian_wandering_spider

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtua View Post
    I know that I generally don't like Brazilians. They tend to be obnoxious and rude. Oh and I also hate seeing them in online video games.
    Elaborate... Where you got that generalization from?

Just so much.... Every 2 years, the World travels around the globe for the two biggest sports events on the planet.
    Summer Olympics, and Football World Cup. And Brazilians are always most welcome. They are very pleasant guests in the host countries.
    Especially their football supporters are pure fun.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    Elaborate... Where you got that generalization from?
    A lot of Brazilians are care free, and generally happy, and that may come out to other people as being obnoxious and rude, because they might be jealous or just annoyed by it, it happens.

I know a lot of Brazilian people so yeah.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Majad View Post
    A lot of Brazilians are care free, and generally happy, and that may come out to other people as being obnoxious and rude, because they might be jealous or just annoyed by it, it happens.

I know a lot of Brazilian people so yeah.
    What you describe about the Brazilians is an awesome thing.
    I have little sympathy for people who got a stick up their ass so high that it almost shows through their throat. Making them so stiff, they cannot even bend over for a laughter. I like happy care free people. Happiness is a good thing.
    Anyone who cannot handle joy and happiness needs to hide in their basement and pamper their agony there.

My take on that.