Poll: Should we keep daylight savings?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Daylight Savings Time

Why do we still roll our clocks back?

Is it still worth losing an hour of light when most everyone is active? It gets dark at 5pm here during this nonsense. Right during rush hour. I know some have it worse, but why do this crap at all?
    I like sandwiches

Deleted
    I have no idea why they change the hours, I think it's absurd, doesn't make much sense...

Do the farm animals really care what time it is when the sun comes up?

Deleted
    I think it was originally for the benefit of those in agriculture or something. Gives them more daylight to work the fields etc.

I kinda like it myself. Keeps one on one's toes. Plus, it's especially nice when the clocks go back and you get an extra hour in bed. =B

I much prefer waking up to sunshine rather than darkness.

Quote Originally Posted by Baiyn View Post
    I think it was originally for the benefit of those in agriculture or something. Gives them more daylight to work the fields etc.

I kinda like it myself. Keeps one on one's toes. Plus, it's especially nice when the clocks go back and you get an extra hour in bed. =B
    It is also because some people think it saves energy. There is less heating and lights necessary for people who get up in the morning to go to work if the sun is already up. The problem is that when the sun goes down early, those people are still awake and using heat and light so there really isnt any savings.

It would also be better if the sun was out when people got off work/school because at least when I went to school in Colorado, I got to school when the sun was down, was inside for 7 hours, and by the time school was over there was 30 min of light left. It was pretty depressing to basically hardly ever see the sun during the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Roose View Post
    It gets dark at 5pm here during this nonsense.
    If you didn't roll the clocks back for winter, it would be getting dark at 4pm. On the upside, when the clocks roll back, the pubs stay open for another hour because 3am is suddenly 2am

Quote Originally Posted by Kerdozia View Post
    pretty hilarious and spot on

Quote Originally Posted by Slashendash View Post
    If you didn't roll the clocks back for winter, it would be getting dark at 4pm. On the upside, when the clocks roll back, the pubs stay open for another hour because 3am is suddenly 2am
    You have it backwards. If the sun goes down at 5pm DST and you roll back 1 hr for ST the sun goes down at 4pm. So when he says the sun goes down at 5pm ST, it would go down at 6pm DST if the clocks were never changed.

I think we should actually stay at DST. Somehow when they developed time zones people wanted the day to start early, 5am ish, but now working hours are 9-5 so it would be better if the sun came up in the 6-7 am range when people start getting up for work and have the sun go down at 6-7pm so they still have some light when they get off work.

---------- Post added 2012-11-17 at 12:39 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by klaps_05 View Post
    pretty hilarious and spot on
    Yeah it was right. I dont agree with the reason Arizona doesnt use DST (its too hot) since when I lived there the sun would go down between 9-10pm during the summer and theres no reason why you would need sunlight after 10pm which would happen if they used DST.

10+ Year Old Account
    Personally, I'd like to do away with time zones. Just have everyone set their clocks to GMT.

I much prefer standard time (which is what we have now). I like going through rush hour at night.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

10+ Year Old Account
    It gets dark for at 4pm. Woo.

Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    I much prefer waking up to sunshine rather than darkness.
    Speak for yourself. =P If it wasn't so damn necessary I'd destroy the sun.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Roose View Post
    Congress ignores reality (as usual) and believes that it makes a relevant difference in power consumption, and since America is The Leader Of The Free World and Centre Of The Economic Universe, just about everyone else in the world follows them.

Except of course Saskatchewan, where half the province is permanently on DST since the 60s because the time zone dividing line runs straight through the province and it was devices that we wanted the whole province on the same time zone.

10+ Year Old Account
    No its retarded. My shift ends at 4PM and that means by the time I drive home (20 minute commute) its dark.
    Putin khuliyo

Deleted
    Losing an hour of light? Really that's your issue here? I'm more upset with losing 1 hour of my beauty sleep at that one transition day.
    It ruins half the year basically.

10+ Year Old Account
    Daylight savings time is an outdated concept, really wish we would stop using it. Russia did not so long ago afaik, because they realized it messed people up.

Every damn year you hear about the negative effects of this here in Norway, people lose sleep, get confused if they should turn the clock forward or backwards (despite all the helpful sayings etc).

It's heaven when the clocks go back to standard time, feels so great going back to normal.

Worse than turning the clock back or forward was when I moved (with my parents back then) from middle Norway, to the south of Norway. Now that was incredibly confusing when it came to light and dark.

If I got this right (still confused lol!).

During the summer, it's lighter the further north you go (midnight sun north of the arctic circle). And darker the further south you go.
    So we where used to lighter summer nights, and came down here where the summer nights where darker. We had difficulties sleeping and it took us a lot of time adjusting. And of course the opposite during winter.

It's been around 7 years, and it's still kinda odd. And I have plans to move back north, once again needing to adjust.... :O

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerdozia View Post
    Was going to link that but first I went to check if someone else had
    Very good video.

O.T
    We don't have daylights savings, the only annoying part of that is that it makes it more difficult to work out time differences because my time difference to someone else depends on if they have DST or not. So if everyone stops having it then that'd be fixed

It was a bit strange the first year I moved here, during winter it gets dark at 5:30ish to 6pm and during summer the sun begins rising at about 4am. (Even though it's summer now I'm not entirely sure at the time it gets dark, but I'd guess around 7:30ish)
    But once you get used to that it's not an issue at all.

Yes people, daylight savings was created to piss everyone off and confuse people.....
    no but seriously it was created to save power and such, there is a good reason for it, but it does suck that the whole world doesn't do it, but I'm totally for daylight saving.

People just hate it because its annoying having to lose an hour then gain an hour... people are too comfortable and freak out when it comes to changes
    Last edited by Nanaboostme; 2012-11-17 at 07:16 AM.