Deleted

Melanie Smith (43) Charged with murdering her family.

A 43-year-old woman has appeared in court charged with a fifth murder following a house fire in Denbighshire.

Melanie Smith, 42, is charged with the murders of Lee-Anna Shiers, 20, her 15-month-old son Charlie, nephew Bailey Allen, four, niece Skye, two, and partner Liam Timbrell, 23.

She was remanded in custody at Caernarfon Crown Court until 7 January.

Ms Smith is also accused of one count of arson with intent to endanger life and threats to commit criminal damage.

She appeared via video link for the eight-minute court hearing on Friday. She will be asked to enter a plea in court on 7 January.

Matthew Curtis, prosecuting, said she had been charged with Mr Timbrell's murder on Tuesday.

Mr Timbrell was Ms Shiers' partner and Charlie's father.

He had been in a critical condition since the blaze on 19 October and died on 5 November at Glenfield Hospital, Leicester.

Ms Shiers died in the blaze along with her niece and nephew. Charlie died at Alder Hey Children's Hospital in Liverpool.

Article is here http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-n...wales-20373105
    I know this is my second open thread, but this touched me personally (An old friend lives in said area) And i would like to hear your opinions on this, i am leaning towards mentally unstable currently. I believe she needs to be kept under lock and key for a long period of time to assess and treat her accordingly.

She'll probably get ruled mentally unstable and if she doesn't she'll get a couple years.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    She'll probably get ruled mentally unstable and if she doesn't she'll get a couple years.
    If she doesnt get a ruling declaring her mentally unsound, i'd certainly hope for more than a few years. (10-20)

I don't the UK has the death penalty or I'd opt for that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavril View Post
    Im a firm believer of abolishing the death penalty, even for these cases. But yes, the united kingdom abolished the death penalty in 1965 we still however practice retributive justice instead of restorative... however David cameron recently gave a speech backing that we should be moving away from retributive justice to restorative.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    I have a feeling that this is true. She'll likely get ruled crazy, get a few years of prison/rehabilitation, and then relapse by 2020.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

If this was a man he'd already be in jail. Hope she gets hard time. Emphasis on time.

Kill her and move on to the next imo.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

10+ Year Old Account
    Okay maybe I'm tired but I'm having trouble working out how this family fits together. How does Melanie Smith relate to these people? If timbell was the partner of shiers and it was their kid and shiers niece and nephew who died. It's confusing me, unless she is Mrs Shiers mother? But they all have different last names.

O.T
    Five murders, whether put in prison or a mental facility I hope she's away for a long time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavril View Post
    Disagree with death penalty, but life without parole for multiple first-degree murders? Sure, why not?
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

10+ Year Old Account
    What's wrong with the idea of the death penalty? We're not looking at an accident here. From the article, it sounds like a pure intention to do harm. Even if she does have a case of the crazies, stick her in the chair. Psychological conditions don't generally spontaniously pop up and cause someone to kill 5 people. If you don't get checked up when you notice yourself showing symptoms of a disease, I don't see it any different than a case of negligence.

Deleted
    Very unfortunate case. Made me think about this subject:

youtube.com/watch?v=iqNqf7aI8tc

10+ Year Old Account
    While it sucks, do we need a new thread every time someone kills their family.

Seems like it happens once a week at least.

10+ Year Old Account
    While I'm not saying she didn't do it, we're not told a lot, hardly anything tbh.

Why was this thread even created? This is a gaming website. Some of you take these forums too far.

Put her down Old Yeller style, take her out back and put a bullet between her eyes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dercaderca View Post
    Put her down Old Yeller style, take her out back and put a bullet between her eyes.
    While I agree with this, I'd like to know why/how this happened. Why did she decide to kill the whole family? The article didn't say how she did this and I'm to lazy to go look. Did she just leave something on? Did she light a fire in the house then walk out while everyone was asleep? But if this was all intentional, she should be put down. There is no fixing someone who kills little children.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tekkommo View Post
    While I'm not saying she didn't do it, we're not told a lot, hardly anything tbh.

Why was this thread even created? This is a gaming website. Some of you take these forums too far.
    Because this is the off-section of the forum?

Life without parole or death. No mentally ill defense for this lady! Premeditated. She knew what she was doing.
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

If she were an arab, everyone would blame islam and praise the white nuclear family for not being capable of such horrors

Quote Originally Posted by Manakin View Post
    Im a firm believer of abolishing the death penalty, even for these cases. But yes, the united kingdom abolished the death penalty in 1965 we still however practice retributive justice instead of restorative... however David cameron recently gave a speech backing that we should be moving away from retributive justice to restorative.
    Question is, if she was declared mentally ill and served 7 years in intense therapy, was declared redeemed by the UK justice system and fit for society by a bunch of doctors, would you be ok with her living next door to your family? What if you had little kids?

Pedophiles and sex offenders get out of jail every day and are deemed "cured" but their social pariah will never go away. So what do you do with a bunch of completely rehabilitated social pariahs whom people will still fear? Do the governments owe it to those who have always followed the law to keep them safe as well (in their own minds)?