Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

1st tier of Cataclysm

Was the first tier of cataclysm the best? (personally i think so) after that i quiit and came back for mop.
    i really liked BOT the other 2 were ok but the beginning of cata was really fun but about 3 months into it i was bored

10+ Year Old Account
    the best load of crap in the toilet of failure isnt saying much
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

haha people are starting to use "cataclysm" and "best" in the same sentence now.

One shall not be the shiniest of two turds...
    You must become a Master Baiter if you want to want to master the One-eyed Fish of the Dark Caverns!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tierbook View Post
    the best load of crap in the toilet of failure isnt saying much
    im talking about out of cata i still think wrath is the best expac next to bc then van then cata then mop

yeah, it was pretty ok imo, the raids were a lot more challenging then the first tier of mop imo.

The following is my opinion and only my opinion:

Cataclysm is the 2nd best overall expansion for raiding. It has the best tier of raiding in the game (tier 11), it has the best raid boss ever put into the game (Heroic Ragnaros), and it has a fairly decent raid in Dragon Soul.

Only TBC was a better expansion for raiding, in my opinion. It has a lot of epic encounters like Vashj, Kael'thas, Illidan, Archimonde, Several other BT fights were very memorable. It had karazhan which you will be hard pressed to find someone to say a negative thing about and Gruul's and Magtheridon were both very fun.

Vanilla was fun raiding but it was before Blizzard had really polished their skills as raid encounter designers. Naxx60 is one of the better raid zones ever.

WotLK is bottom of the list for me. Ulduar is a very good raid and ICC is an above average raid....the problem is ICC while being not awful was WAY below expectations. It didn't have the epic size, depth or boss encounters for me. Ulduar is one of the best raids ever, but its sandwiched between the 2 worst raid tiers ever tier 7 and tier 9.

The first tier of Cata was very challenging, at least for a 10man raiding guild.
    However, many heroic encounters were almost impossible for a 10man raid at first (I'm looking at you Maloriak, Omnotron, Atramedes, Magmaw and Drakes) which is why my guild quit.
    Many encounters had to be adjusted to be even killable in 10man (Maloriak dark blobs hp nerf, Magmaw adds nerf, Omnotron damage nerf and so on).
    It was a lot more challenging than the current tier anyhow.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by whatthefudge View Post
    The following is my opinion and only my opinion:

Cataclysm is the 2nd best overall expansion for raiding. It has the best tier of raiding in the game (tier 11), it has the best raid boss ever put into the game (Heroic Ragnaros), and it has a fairly decent raid in Dragon Soul.

Only TBC was a better expansion for raiding, in my opinion. It has a lot of epic encounters like Vashj, Kael'thas, Illidan, Archimonde, Several other BT fights were very memorable. It had karazhan which you will be hard pressed to find someone to say a negative thing about and Gruul's and Magtheridon were both very fun.

Vanilla was fun raiding but it was before Blizzard had really polished their skills as raid encounter designers. Naxx60 is one of the better raid zones ever.

WotLK is bottom of the list for me. Ulduar is a very good raid and ICC is an above average raid....the problem is ICC while being not awful was WAY below expectations. It didn't have the epic size, depth or boss encounters for me. Ulduar is one of the best raids ever, but its sandwiched between the 2 worst raid tiers ever tier 7 and tier 9.

This, I till think wrath was the best expansion, but ultimately its raids were subpar. Cataclysm was great for raiding, but ultimately was cmpletely dead outside of it
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol

Tier 11 was great

Well i didn't last long enough to raid in Cata since i started traveling soon after, but the heroic dungeons were great fun, a lot better than the wrath heroics.

BWD for me - nice fights and difficulty

I really liked how Nefarian was really difficult in the normal(well in heroic it's different but). Really felt like final boss

It's not t11 but Firelands is really well made raid(except for trash - I loathed them). The problem was that it was the only raid in the tier and 7 bosses were too little, but thinking of just raid it was great.

DS kind of sucked but not as much as people say they are - encounter design was crappy but it wasn't easy prenerf.
    Also I kind of enjoyed maximize-dps-heal encounters. Wasn't too bad as I believed in heroic.
    DS normal is worst thing ever because it was so undertuned - Morchok is easier than heroic dungeon bosses, Yorsajh/Hagara/Ultraxion no different from LFR, Warmaster really easy. Only madness had bit of DPS requirements but other than that normals were just way way way waaaay too easy

10+ Year Old Account
    No, I hated that tier, I couldn't find a decent guild and didn't clear a single raid.

I like to lump in heroics with the first "tier" of stuff, so by that standard Cataclysm was probably the most fun I ever had in PvE at the start. Not since watching videos at WoW's launch had I felt the sense of creativity in the aesthetic of dungeons such as Throne of the Tides (watching TotalBiscuit's beta footage, hah. Only time I watched that guy) and then felt even just satisfied with doing normal mode raids after how lackluster Wrath's PvE was. (*sigh* I'm a dwarf/titan lover. I loved Ulduar. Yes, I'm highly original. ICC was w/e to me except the end fights, honestly.)

Came off that sugar rush pretty quick.
    Last edited by Confirm Deny; 2012-11-17 at 05:57 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    People's perceptions of cataclysm are interesting. It was not until about 4.3 that people started saying "Oh this thing sucks," and then started "remembering" about how much they supposedly hated the rest of the expansion, and then eventually started to pretend that they had hated Cataclysm the entire time. Things people did way back at the beginning, and didn't care too much one way or the other, suddenly became "the tragic failures of Cataclysm." It's really kind of cute. This extends to every part... leveling, raids, you name it. Hell, people even started to complain about how Cataclysm content "reused skins" too much (when they really meant skeletons, which blizzard has been doing forever) because they were so bored at the end of 4.3.

Cataclysm out of the box was fine. I felt leveling was done fine... all the complaints that arose about it, at the end of the expansion after everyone had by and far finished leveling for the better part of the year, seemed to revolve around it being too "disjointed" story-wise and yet somehow too linear. The linear-ness has merit to it (likely an issue that arose for people leveling alts) but I feel the stories in each zone were told with... competency (especially if you compare it to burning crusade... "stories?") I thought Hyjal and twilight highlands were bland and boring, but Vash'jir and Uldum were great zones.

I really enjoyed the so called "difficult" heroics. I don't recall ever really having issues with any of them... ask if anyone needs an explanation for a fight, stop, explain it, pewpewpew, move on. Moreover, the dungeons were really cool too... Lost City of the Tol'Vir and Halls of Origination are two of my favorite dungeons. I also liked how ALL of the boss fights, from all the dungeons, had fun little quirks to them (that you actually had to observe.) A shame that there was a community outcry to "dumb them down" into triviality.

As for the raiding... I thought the first tier and Firelands were quite well done.... Unfortunate that they fumbled it so badly on dragon soul. While Bastion of Twilight was a little... trite... (pointless corridors leading to boss, followed by more pointless corridors) Blackwing Descent was a really nice raid overall. (Though I feel It should have been more expansive layout-wise, and with more trash too.) Throne of the Four Winds was a nice, simple raid. All of the bosses from the raids had a nice unique aspect to them. Despite the raid's various shortcomings, they all had interesting boss fights.

I really enjoyed Firelands too. Again, all interesting boss fights (baleroc was a little bleh from a DPS standpoint though,) with a nice overall theme. You can tell Blizzard put a lot of work into making it... among other things, it and ZA are the only content patch raids in the game to use different newly introduced models for each boss.

As for Dragon soul... ehh. I've always displayed my distaste for this raid. The setting in Dragonblight, while sensible, is no less boring. While the bosses aren't bad in it of themselves, their complete pencil-lore status and relative simplicity (compared to earlier Cata raid bosses) drags the raid down. Most of all, I dislike it because I feel they thoroughly squandered Deathwing as an epic fight, and as a villain overall.

I do not believe the relative failure, however, of Dragon Soul serves to really "pollute" the actual good parts of Cataclsym.
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2012-11-17 at 06:05 AM.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

T11 is the role model tier that Blizzard should look at when they wanna do first tier of xpac. First tier of WotLk now that's garbage.

After tier 11 cataclysm went down the tubes, which is why I quit. MoP has been a huge shitfest which is why I quit in at the end of october.

Glad i'm done with that game.

People had established that Cataclysm was turning out shitty with the advent of redone Troll zones in 4.1. While 4.2 was great for both FL and the dailies, 4.3 was hands down one of the worst all around experiences in this game for most people in all aspects of the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

10+ Year Old Account
    I wish we'd seen a raid in MoP with some bonus, heroic mode only bosses. The Sha of Fear has a heroic mode only phase a la Ragnaros, so that's pretty cool. But I always like bonus super-bosses!

Deleted
    I actually quite enjoyed T11 with the 3 different raids. It was after that, that cataclysm went downhill imo (apart from rag hc)