Thread: OS Type Help

OS Type Help

Hello. I am building a new computer and have a question regarding which operating system version I should buy. Currently looking into Windows 7 over 8 due to the accessibility issues I've been reading about with Windows 8. My question is regarding which type is ideal, Windows 7 Home Premium which is on Amazon for $169.99 or the Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit (Full) System Builder DVD 1 Pack which is on Amazon for only $91.99. What is the difference and which should I buy? The system is being built for playing games mainly, fairly mid-tier nothing too fancy, just the first computer I have ever built and have no idea which OS version is best and concerned about the difference in prices.

There's really no difference between the two, well outside of the packaging, the software's the exact same in both cases. The OEM one is technically for system builders(like it says in the description) and would normally be used if you plan on building the system to sell(supplying the DVD with the new system). However most anyone that builds their own rigs go with the OEM one for the simple fact that it is cheaper.

I would say, go with Windows 8 simply for Metro App support. By SP1, they'll fix the UI in Windows 8 but they'll never add App support to Windows 7.

If you go 7 now and realize there are some nice Metro Apps you'd like to have, you're out $100.

Deleted
    also check if eligble for any promotions (students/work IT department etc)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    I would say, go with Windows 8 simply for Metro App support. By SP1, they'll fix the UI in Windows 8 but they'll never add App support to Windows 7.

If you go 7 now and realize there are some nice Metro Apps you'd like to have, you're out $100.
    Weren't MS offering Win 8 upgrade packs (from Win7) for like $30-40? I forget >_<

Personally I would play it safe with Win 7. With Win 8 the first service pack isn't even out yet, and the list of application/game compatibility issues is...well, there are known issues. It's a newborn baby OS, needs some time :P
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2012-11-18 at 08:31 PM.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

10+ Year Old Account
    Windows 8 have some issues with gaming, I never seen one in my case...

Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    Weren't MS offering Win 8 upgrade packs (from Win7) for like $30-40? I forget >_<

Personally I would play it safe with Win 7. With Win 8 the first service pack isn't even out yet, and the list of application/game compatibility issues is...well, there are known issues. It's a newborn baby OS, needs some time :P
    Win8 uses the same core as Vista and Win7. I don't know any issues with Win8 that can't be fixed by simply setting compatibility mode to Win7. For now I'm impressed how good and fast Win8 runs and that there aren't any issues at all. All the old Win7 drivers work without a problem and as said all programs work.

As for the difference between retail and OEM version. OEM version don't have official support from Microsoft. So when you have a problem you can't call them to help you and you have to choose from the beginning which version you want (32bit or 64bit).

The whole SP thing is overrated at this day and age. W7 only has a single service pack and it runs great without it.

XP needed multiply SP because the whole computer and internet industry was still new at release and the concept of actual security was a bigger unknown for companies at that time.
    Vista was a mess at launch because all of the software which was written for XP didn't work on Vista. I've read that Microsoft changed how programs where allowed to interact with the OS.

However that isn't the case wit w8, as far as I know everything that works on W7 should work on W8.

I'm pretty sure thats a pre-order promotion. They're also being offered on Windows 7 prebuilts but the offer's probably going to end in the next few months.

You can buy a Windows 8 Upgrade for $40 download or $70 DVD.
    Source: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...opHP_FPP_Light

"* Offer valid from October 26, 2012 until January 31, 2013 and is limited to five upgrade licenses per customer. To install Windows 8 Pro, customers must be running Windows XP SP3, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8 Consumer Preview, or Windows 8 Release Preview."

Quote Originally Posted by momirmaster View Post
    Although I believe that We never killed osama and OBAMA just used it as propaganda to win a election cause Osama's was probably dead for years I Usually am not gullible.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MCMXCIX View Post
    You can buy a Windows 8 Upgrade for $40 download or $70 DVD.
    Source: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...opHP_FPP_Light

"* Offer valid from October 26, 2012 until January 31, 2013 and is limited to five upgrade licenses per customer. To install Windows 8 Pro, customers must be running Windows XP SP3, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8 Consumer Preview, or Windows 8 Release Preview."
    BINGO that's the one, thanks for finding it bud
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze