New player, trying Cleric

Hey guys, longtime WoW player here making a potential switch to Rift after around 7 years of playing. I love the game so far, it reminds me a lot of early WoW when leveling wasn't so damn easy and there were a lot more options around, and the overall feel is just...less childish. I'm also a longtime MMO-Champ forum user (albeit "browser" would better suit me) and I've decided to register for the sake of some Rift talk, so forgive the post count.
    Anyways, I've decided to pick up a Cleric as a pally was one of the few classes I never got around to playing, and from what I've seen and read, Justicars work a lot like a prot pally does, and there are obviously some great healing options available (which is most likely what I'll be doing endgame).

So back to the topic at hand: what do you all suggest for speedy leveling? Right now I've tried Cab/Inq/Warden (as the game suggested it) and instantly switched to a more melee-esque spec (as casting felt kind of...clunky) to Cab/Sham/Warden. I loved the charge I got through the Shaman spec, but it still seemed to lack something.

Now I'm playing Justicar/Druid/Warden and I've gotta say...it's pretty filthy. With a faerie healer up, I never die, and mobs seem to melt away. What I can't really seem to find, though, is any really powerful AoE damage. When I pull, I'll pull multiple mobs, sure, but they only die one at a time for the most part. Is there anything I have access to that can help this situation?

Also, apart from leveling advice, any other tips would be greatly appreciated right now. Profs wise, I'm going armorsmith with butchery and mining, and all I've been doing so far is following the path the quests take me..and it's taken a couple of hours just to get down Freemarch,which is amazing to me as when I last picked up a new monk, I was level 40 before 3 hours had passed.

So thanks in advance guys! I've also read that "shard" transfers are free, so if there are a lot of ya'll on a certain server that play together or something, I'd be happy to join!

Quote Originally Posted by BarnabyAngel View Post
    Hey guys, longtime WoW player here making a potential switch to Rift after around 7 years of playing. I love the game so far, it reminds me a lot of early WoW when leveling wasn't so damn easy and there were a lot more options around, and the overall feel is just...less childish. I'm also a longtime MMO-Champ forum user (albeit "browser" would better suit me) and I've decided to register for the sake of some Rift talk, so forgive the post count.
    Anyways, I've decided to pick up a Cleric as a pally was one of the few classes I never got around to playing, and from what I've seen and read, Justicars work a lot like a prot pally does, and there are obviously some great healing options available (which is most likely what I'll be doing endgame).

So back to the topic at hand: what do you all suggest for speedy leveling? Right now I've tried Cab/Inq/Warden (as the game suggested it) and instantly switched to a more melee-esque spec (as casting felt kind of...clunky) to Cab/Sham/Warden. I loved the charge I got through the Shaman spec, but it still seemed to lack something.

Now I'm playing Justicar/Druid/Warden and I've gotta say...it's pretty filthy. With a faerie healer up, I never die, and mobs seem to melt away. What I can't really seem to find, though, is any really powerful AoE damage. When I pull, I'll pull multiple mobs, sure, but they only die one at a time for the most part. Is there anything I have access to that can help this situation?

Also, apart from leveling advice, any other tips would be greatly appreciated right now. Profs wise, I'm going armorsmith with butchery and mining, and all I've been doing so far is following the path the quests take me..and it's taken a couple of hours just to get down Freemarch,which is amazing to me as when I last picked up a new monk, I was level 40 before 3 hours had passed.

So thanks in advance guys! I've also read that "shard" transfers are free, so if there are a lot of ya'll on a certain server that play together or something, I'd be happy to join!
    Cab/defiler/X Just tears everything up. Defiler is insane solo because of beacon of despair you get 16 (?) points in. You pull everything you can possibly see. Dot one target - transfer all those dots - then finish with nuking from cab aoe.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    Cab/defiler/X Just tears everything up. Defiler is insane solo because of beacon of despair you get 16 (?) points in. You pull everything you can possibly see. Dot one target - transfer all those dots - then finish with nuking from cab aoe.
    sounds like a blast, unfortunately I don't have access to Defiler yet since I'm on a trial. Do they let you use it if you purchase the full version without the expansion?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BarnabyAngel View Post
    sounds like a blast, unfortunately I don't have access to Defiler yet since I'm on a trial. Do they let you use it if you purchase the full version without the expansion?
    The defiler soul doesn't actually doesn't come with classic Rift. If you haven't already bought the came consider the standard edition for new players. It comes with both classic Rift, Storm legion and 30 days of game time for $10 more. Just though I'd toss that out there. You can upgrade your trial account to so you won't loose the level 20 character you already made.

http://www.riftgame.com/en/products/

Good luck and have fun!
    Last edited by Azuri; 2012-11-18 at 01:07 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    Druid-car. Max points in druid, 18 in justicar (you dont need more, you only go 18 for the aoe spamattack)
    Greater ranged dps pet, turn on the aoe buffs and pet healing via attacks and start pulling in packs of 5+++. I was doing easily 10k+ dps and ~1.xk hps between lvls 55-8. Apart from some OP warrior mob packs that can make it slightly challenging this spec will p-i-s-s (yes this means planar inscribed source stone) all over every other defiler and what not spec. Key thing. You run and gun not the joke of a soul static stuff defiler brings. Just remember pet-attacks=cone. Also keep rm on it and simply taunt pets off of it or port them over to you with the druid ability.
    Last edited by mmoc09fbcdc894; 2012-11-18 at 01:04 PM.

as a new player i would send you over to http://raptr.com. they give out free rewards for rift. this even inc a free copy of rift. so you only need to pay for the sub. till 50 then if you still love it you could always buy sl. since sl only gives new souls pre 50.

Quote Originally Posted by loki504 View Post
    as a new player i would send you over to -----. they give out free rewards for rift. this even inc a free copy of rift. so you only need to pay for the sub. till 50 then if you still love it you could always buy sl. since sl only gives new souls pre 50.
    Thanks! I actually just signed up, but I'm having issues connecting Rift to Raptr...I even made a Steam account to try and get that to help connect, but it can't even recognize my Gamer ID. Ever try this yourself/have a solution?

---------- Post added 2012-11-19 at 04:24 AM ----------

Got it to work! Full version downloaded now (minus SL, that'll come though i'm sure). Now, to guilds...are most of you active Rift posters on EU? That'd be unfortunate, since I'm on US...but..it'd still be nice to get to know the MMO-champ community firsthand