Page 1 of 5
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1

    The thing SWTOR did get right.

    There are plenty of thread pointing out the failures of swtor, what it didn't get right, but there are, imo, some inovating feature they did get right.


    - Story and voice acting: I won't go back to this, pretty much everyone agree it's the best thing about the game. It's nice while you are making your way to max level, you enjoy story about your class or the universe around. I'll leave it at that

    - Companion mechanic. At first i though i wouldn't like it. I wanted to be the lone warrior, the hero taking on the galaxy. But it grew on me, and ikind of like to micro manage my companion. i like to have a tank distract an enemy while i'm taking down the rest of the group, picking something on the ground, or cover my escape. I like having my pocket healer while blasting my way thrue hord of enemy.

    - Difficulty in leveling SWTOR is not really hard by any strech but does offer some challenge at times. You do have elite type mob in the world, some you can't skip because they are target of a planet or class quest. you also have group quest H2 and H4. You have to up your game to progress the story. A nice change of pace from wow philosophy, that remove every elite and every group quest in the world.

    - Combat animation: I like the fact that every single spell and ability has it's own animation. it's not the same generic casting or sword winging animation for any spell and attack. It regretable that there are not race specific animation like in wow, but at least within the same class, combat animation feels varied and well done. I can see parrying attack, deflecting laser blast.

    - Crafting: : Crafting feels right to me. Being able to reverse engeneering a green to make a bleu or purple quality out of it is genius. I wish it would be extended to any green you encounter, not just the green craft you learn. I like the fact that you can complement the traditional gathering mats in the world by mission, i like the fact that crafting advanced equipement is not just a 5-10seconds cast.

    - Mod gear: this basically combine gemming, reforging and transmog into one. You can choose your skin (although i admit, most skin aren't very good, but the system is good) . you can mix and match mod and enh. to get the best stats for your class.

    - Legacy Legacy also i like. I like having a surname. I like having every buff of the game. I like being able to send soul bound mods using a "bind to legacy" orange gear.



    So here are some few feature i think SWTOR did get right. Of course, i am not bling to other aspect where SWTOR failed to deliver, but at least, let's recognize what they did get right.



    EDIT: Another thing SWTOR did right, i meant to mention it, i forgot

    Mirror Class: Basically the same class but feels and look very different. Especially trooper and bounty hunter, different yet same ressource mechanics. Great job on mirroring class. some balance problem, adressed in later patch
    Last edited by Vankrys; 2012-12-12 at 10:40 PM.

  2. #2
    haha - no responses. Try bashing the game urll get 30 pages of responses. Positive comments "Error does not compute"

    So there's 1 reply - we can push for 3 - as
    Kitty will reply, he usually decontructs my comments.
    Leth - Level 50 Sith Maurader - War Hero - 1300 Exp

  3. #3
    Banned Kelimbror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Bear Taco, Left Hand of Death
    Posts
    13,629
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethorien View Post
    haha - no responses. Try bashing the game urll get 30 pages of responses. Positive comments "Error does not compute"

    So there's 1 reply - we can push for 3 - as
    Kitty will reply, he usually decontructs my comments.
    I'm growing tired of pointing out that every thread created on here has been done 100 times this week already. Just because moderators aren't going to curtail the action doesn't mean I'm going to keep contributing. Not to mention that these posts quickly devolve into straight up bashing the game...which I don't actually participate in.

    It's all great to have balanced discussions, but we've been over this topic infinitely in the last month. It seriously needs to die. Just go play the damn game or don't, please don't start new threads from things we've exhaustively covered already. I don't want to see another what swtor did right/wrong, what f2p did right/wrong, I'm coming back/new to swtor, etc etc.

    Kill it. Kill it with fire.

  4. #4
    I agree with EVERYTHING you have said. The only thing i dislike is being unable to run crafting myself. I mean, why can't I create items from biochem? Just kinda wierd to me, but not a deal breaker.

    This game has gotten so many things right, but people dwell on what they feel is wrong. Personally the only thing that gets on my nerves is the size of the planets. I still want a game that makes planets circumnavigable. I know this is a tall order, but some of the planets are just far to small. Tatooine could have had so many other locales that people would have flocked to just for immersion and lore. The sarlacc pit was nice to see, but Mos Eisley would have been an amazing addition. Guess there is plenty of room for an expansion!

    If you didn't notice i just did what I said others do... *sigh* I'm at school on break atm and daydreaming is fun. I'm still loving SWTOR though, after taking a 6 month break due to server pop it's great to be on a bustling server with more than enough to do.
    Last edited by Elgand; 2012-12-12 at 05:43 PM.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Vankrys View Post
    There are plenty of thread pointing out the failures of swtor, what it didn't get right, but there are, imo, some inovating feature they did get right.


    - Story and voice acting: I won't go back to this, pretty much everyone agree it's the best thing about the game. It's nice while you are making your way to max level, you enjoy story about your class or the universe around. I'll leave it at that

    - Companion mechanic. At first i though i wouldn't like it. I wanted to be the lone warrior, the hero taking on the galaxy. But it grew on me, and ikind of like to micro manage my companion. i like to have a tank distract an enemy while i'm taking down the rest of the group, picking something on the ground, or cover my escape. I like having my pocket healer while blasting my way thrue hord of enemy.

    - Difficulty in leveling SWTOR is not really hard by any strech but does offer some challenge at times. You do have elite type mob in the world, some you can't skip because they are target of a planet or class quest. you also have group quest H2 and H4. You have to up your game to progress the story. A nice change of pace from wow philosophy, that remove every elite and every group quest in the world.

    - Combat animation: I like the fact that every single spell and ability has it's own animation. it's not the same generic casting or sword winging animation for any spell and attack. It regretable that there are not race specific animation like in wow, but at least within the same class, combat animation feels varied and well done. I can see parrying attack, deflecting laser blast.

    - Crafting: : Crafting feels right to me. Being able to reverse engeneering a green to make a bleu or purple quality out of it is genius. I wish it would be extended to any green you encounter, not just the green craft you learn. I like the fact that you can complement the traditional gathering mats in the world by mission, i like the fact that crafting advanced equipement is not just a 5-10seconds cast.

    - Mod gear: this basically combine gemming, reforging and transmog into one. You can choose your skin (although i admit, most skin aren't very good, but the system is good) . you can mix and match mod and enh. to get the best stats for your class.

    - Legacy Legacy also i like. I like having a surname. I like having every buff of the game. I like being able to send soul bound mods using a "bind to legacy" orange gear.



    So here are some few feature i think SWTOR did get right. Of course, i am not bling to other aspect where SWTOR failed to deliver, but at least, let's recognize what they did get right.
    I wish they had limited the voice acting to the main planet quests and the personal quests. The current system seems to tire people of voice acting. Also, having 5 people standing around with quest indicators hovering over their heads is not nearly as stream lined as storm legion leveling in rift. Having to sit there and listen to an old man explain that womprats have been chewing up the wires of his speeders and you have to kill 5 and bring back their tails as proof and then talk to the guy next to him who tells you about an apple tree and his need to have pies and blah blah blah. BLAH. Story quests get VA, get rid of those stupid "10 npcs standing around a camp fire" crap.

    Companions are great. I wish they would implement a "chronicle" like instancing system where it was you an several of your companions completing a hard dungeon related to your personal quest. You and 2 squad members of your choice go into in instance and kick some ass.

    The actual process of leveling is filled with back tracking and spamming aoe or single target rotations. Getting sick of mashing hot keys in a row.

    Animations are meh. I don't care much for them. You knife attacks and shot gun attacks don't change appearance when you get new weapons.

    Crafting. Holy hell crafting in this game is crap. Its basically a way to get credits. The only really meaningful profession at end game is biochem for flasks. I just can't get over how good the gathering system is compared to how bad the things you make are. I just don't even know what to say about this.

    Mod gear. Everything should be moddable. Every item. In the game. Period.

    Legacy. Eh. Its okay.
    Last edited by Bardarian; 2012-12-12 at 05:57 PM.
    Lv30 (Warframe) - Zephyr - Boltor Prime - Lex Prime - Dakra Prime -
    Lv40 (Firefall) - Dragonfly - Recluse - Biotech - Mammoth - Arsenal - Rhino- Dreadnought - Nighthawk - Raptor - Recon - Tigerclaw - Electron -
    Lv60 (Neverwinter) - Rogue - Fighter - Wizard - Guardian - Cleric -

  6. #6
    I agree 100% with the OP. Also the holocrones or something where a fun edition while leveling.

  7. #7
    Pit Lord philefluxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Silicon Highway
    Posts
    2,315
    Trying not to be too negative because I apparently get under a certain mods skin when I'm honest, but the truth is your "What SWTOR did right" is irrelevant when a game that took as much time and money to develop as this did goes F2P in less than a year. Im up for giving the golden poo poo to EA again this year for SWTOR alone.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by philefluxx View Post
    but the truth is your "What SWTOR did right" is irrelevant
    Successful mechanics are never irrelevant.
    I wouldn't care if we were talking about My little Pony online. If it had a unique and good/well received mechanic its not something you can just say "well that's irrelevant because the game as a whole isn't doing well".
    Lv30 (Warframe) - Zephyr - Boltor Prime - Lex Prime - Dakra Prime -
    Lv40 (Firefall) - Dragonfly - Recluse - Biotech - Mammoth - Arsenal - Rhino- Dreadnought - Nighthawk - Raptor - Recon - Tigerclaw - Electron -
    Lv60 (Neverwinter) - Rogue - Fighter - Wizard - Guardian - Cleric -

  9. #9
    Herald of the Titans Hanto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Florida!
    Posts
    2,986
    I personally liked the voice acting in the beginning, hated it after around lvl 20. Phrases kept being reused, responses seemed generic and I guess somewhat soulless (like your response to an NPC had little effect on what the NPC replied with).

    Granted the other aspects were immensely fun, I did like PvP a lot! I have to say GW2 made me feel more immersed in the conversations between your character and NPCs. I actually felt like I was a part of the struggle and the tones of the voices emphasized and conveyed feelings better than my Inquisitor (sounded like a fake English accent without emotion to her words).

    ... I did like being a Jedi and making all Dark Side choices, however. Being "The Biggest Douche" of the good guys was quite comical. x3

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by philefluxx View Post
    Trying not to be too negative because I apparently get under a certain mods skin when I'm honest, but the truth is your "What SWTOR did right" is irrelevant when a game that took as much time and money to develop as this did goes F2P in less than a year. Im up for giving the golden poo poo to EA again this year for SWTOR alone.
    I see the f2p EA has implemented in this game not as a last ditch effort, but as a money grab because they knew it could make them MORE money. Also, looking at what a game did right is one way to make future games better. It is hardly irrevelant.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanto View Post
    I personally liked the voice acting in the beginning, hated it after around lvl 20. Phrases kept being reused, responses seemed generic and I guess somewhat soulless (like your response to an NPC had little effect on what the NPC replied with).
    ^ This is what I am talking about.
    It should have only been used for personal story lines and the main planet quest. Too many people can't stand the 10 irrelevant quests to 1 main quest ratio.
    Lv30 (Warframe) - Zephyr - Boltor Prime - Lex Prime - Dakra Prime -
    Lv40 (Firefall) - Dragonfly - Recluse - Biotech - Mammoth - Arsenal - Rhino- Dreadnought - Nighthawk - Raptor - Recon - Tigerclaw - Electron -
    Lv60 (Neverwinter) - Rogue - Fighter - Wizard - Guardian - Cleric -

  12. #12
    Legendary! Spl4sh3r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    6,740
    Quote Originally Posted by hk-51 View Post
    I wish they had limited the voice acting to the main planet quests and the personal quests. The current system seems to tire people of voice acting. Also, having 5 people standing around with quest indicators hovering over their heads is not nearly as stream lined as storm legion leveling in rift. Having to sit there and listen to an old man explain that womprats have been chewing up the wires of his speeders and you have to kill 5 and bring back their tails as proof and then talk to the guy next to him who tells you about an apple tree and his need to have pies and blah blah blah. BLAH. Story quests get VA, get rid of those stupid "10 npcs standing around a camp fire" crap.
    You do know that you can skip the cutscenes and just read the quest afterwards?

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Spl4sh3r View Post
    You do know that you can skip the cutscenes and just read the quest afterwards?
    Yep. I abuse my space bar.

    But if you look at the post above you where I quoted what I was talking about, people still find it annoying.
    Lv30 (Warframe) - Zephyr - Boltor Prime - Lex Prime - Dakra Prime -
    Lv40 (Firefall) - Dragonfly - Recluse - Biotech - Mammoth - Arsenal - Rhino- Dreadnought - Nighthawk - Raptor - Recon - Tigerclaw - Electron -
    Lv60 (Neverwinter) - Rogue - Fighter - Wizard - Guardian - Cleric -

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by hk-51 View Post
    Yep. I abuse my space bar.

    But if you look at the post above you where I quoted what I was talking about, people still find it annoying.
    <--- this guy. I love the cutscenes for the main story quests and the first time I go through a dungeon, but all the side quest cutscenes...spacebarspacebarspacebarspacebare. I feel bad for my poor space bar between the abuse it gets skipping cutscenes and constantly jumping everywhere : (

  15. #15
    The Insane det's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    The forums
    Posts
    17,962
    I think that voice acting and story as well as crafting work well has indeed been pointed out numerous times. But as with every other game, people usually like to point out the bads rather than the goods....at least on MMO C it feels like that....
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    One cause is a cognitive bias called projection bias. Essentially living inside your own head your entire life makes it exceedingly difficult to understand how others do not also live your same life, think your same thoughts, and hold your same beliefs. In many cases it's quite frustrating to try to empathize and understand why you yourself may not be the center of the universe, which generally results in one 'acting out' in various ways.
    So, in short: the internet.

  16. #16
    Yeah I think they overdid it with voicing all of the side quests.

    With the list in the OP, I agree with about all of it.



    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    .at least on MMO C it feels like that....
    It's like that in every single game forum for every game in existence.

  17. #17
    Pit Lord philefluxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Silicon Highway
    Posts
    2,315
    Quote Originally Posted by hk-51 View Post
    Successful mechanics are never irrelevant.
    I wouldn't care if we were talking about My little Pony online. If it had a unique and good/well received mechanic its not something you can just say "well that's irrelevant because the game as a whole isn't doing well".
    Ok, Ill agree with your point. But in my defense I consider it irrelevant since those "successful mechanics" weren't really all that successful if the game had to go F2P within the first year right?

    I mean I could stand here and tell you the #1 thing they did right was to create a Star Wars IP because I f**king LOVE Star Wars. But the fact it spiraled into a flaming piece of crap just a few short months after launch isn't going to make that #1 thing mean much in the long run. I guess that was really my point.

  18. #18
    f2p was a great business decision by EA, attracts the zerg who ultimately must pay if they want to (a) get the full experience and (b) join a serious guild. The brass has not a single care what we players think about f2p.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    I'm growing tired of pointing out that every thread created on here has been done 100 times this week already. Just because moderators aren't going to curtail the action doesn't mean I'm going to keep contributing. Not to mention that these posts quickly devolve into straight up bashing the game...which I don't actually participate in.

    It's all great to have balanced discussions, but we've been over this topic infinitely in the last month. It seriously needs to die. Just go play the damn game or don't, please don't start new threads from things we've exhaustively covered already. I don't want to see another what swtor did right/wrong, what f2p did right/wrong, I'm coming back/new to swtor, etc etc.

    Kill it. Kill it with fire.
    This requires a round of applause.

  20. #20
    I would have something to say but I can't think of anything right now that wouldn't be considered game bashing or EA bashing, so I won't post anything on topic.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •