There are plenty of thread pointing out the failures of swtor, what it didn't get right, but there are, imo, some inovating feature they did get right.
- Story and voice acting: I won't go back to this, pretty much everyone agree it's the best thing about the game. It's nice while you are making your way to max level, you enjoy story about your class or the universe around. I'll leave it at that
- Companion mechanic. At first i though i wouldn't like it. I wanted to be the lone warrior, the hero taking on the galaxy. But it grew on me, and ikind of like to micro manage my companion. i like to have a tank distract an enemy while i'm taking down the rest of the group, picking something on the ground, or cover my escape. I like having my pocket healer while blasting my way thrue hord of enemy.
- Difficulty in leveling SWTOR is not really hard by any strech but does offer some challenge at times. You do have elite type mob in the world, some you can't skip because they are target of a planet or class quest. you also have group quest H2 and H4. You have to up your game to progress the story. A nice change of pace from wow philosophy, that remove every elite and every group quest in the world.
- Combat animation: I like the fact that every single spell and ability has it's own animation. it's not the same generic casting or sword winging animation for any spell and attack. It regretable that there are not race specific animation like in wow, but at least within the same class, combat animation feels varied and well done. I can see parrying attack, deflecting laser blast.
- Crafting: : Crafting feels right to me. Being able to reverse engeneering a green to make a bleu or purple quality out of it is genius. I wish it would be extended to any green you encounter, not just the green craft you learn. I like the fact that you can complement the traditional gathering mats in the world by mission, i like the fact that crafting advanced equipement is not just a 5-10seconds cast.
- Mod gear: this basically combine gemming, reforging and transmog into one. You can choose your skin (although i admit, most skin aren't very good, but the system is good) . you can mix and match mod and enh. to get the best stats for your class.
- Legacy Legacy also i like. I like having a surname. I like having every buff of the game. I like being able to send soul bound mods using a "bind to legacy" orange gear.
So here are some few feature i think SWTOR did get right. Of course, i am not bling to other aspect where SWTOR failed to deliver, but at least, let's recognize what they did get right.
EDIT: Another thing SWTOR did right, i meant to mention it, i forgot
Mirror Class: Basically the same class but feels and look very different. Especially trooper and bounty hunter, different yet same ressource mechanics. Great job on mirroring class. some balance problem, adressed in later patch