Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by casually View Post
    i was thinking of a solution blizz could try implementing : once u get a faction to exalted you could buy an accountwide badge of honor or something that you could send to your alt giving you increased rep for every daily quest of that faction you would need to do. thus making the grind less difficult.. maybe 50% more rep gained. plus with each faction needing to be exalted first you'd atleast have to work hard for that rep once.
    Something like that is coming with 5.1 You can buy it with Revered and gives you double reputation for that faction with every character on your account. This also halves the reputation needed from Revered to Exalted.

10+ Year Old Account
    The only problem I have with dailies is that the 140 rep reward it gives is too low.
    PEPE SILVA, PEPE SILVA

10+ Year Old Account
    The main thing i hate about the grind is profession recipes. If they made it so some factions werent hidden behind others that would make it a lot more bareable. As it is im not levelling any other alts to 90 until they change it, which will probably mean il run out of stuff to do very soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoochlol View Post
    The dailies work just as they did in TBC (I guess the people crying about it missed the only good expansion pre-mop), whereas if you wanted mounts etc, you earned it.

Actually, now I brought TBC up, the people crying about dailies now, all probably missed attunements. That's right, raids back then required you to do quest chains just to get through the doors, you have it extremely easy now, it's quite sad.
    Other than a few scattered dailies, most of the Dailies in TBC didn't come around until shattered sun offensive.

Other than that the primary way of getting rep in TBC was grinding it in dungeons and with rep turn ins.

I was there, but I have to question whether you were.
    Last edited by Gheld; 2012-11-18 at 04:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Windfury View Post
    If you'd gone back and read my post history, or even checked my other posts in this thread you would see that I've *always* said, across literally dozens of posts, that dailies should stay but rewards between the various different ways of earning rep should be better balanced to provide viable options for people who don't enjoy/can't do dailies can earn the rewards in a way in which they enjoy. I don't have a problem with other people having fun (I wonder how many would actually do the dailies for fun if they were genuinely optional?), my problem is when I'm not having any. Given all of the 'MoP is about giving you options to play how you want' talk I don't see why it's that hard to y'know, have some more viable options to achieve the same ends.

What is making the game daily focused is that you have to do dailies if you want to craft, to get generally accepted gear levels, to get coins, to join raid groups, to app to guilds, to join pugs, to basically participate in the server/game community. As someone who plays as a crafter could you explain to me how I can do that without doing dailies exactly, given that a large number of patterns require revered/exalted? While I acknowledge nothing in the game is mandatory, to participate fully in that aspect of the game you have to do dailies right now. Ok so the answer is don't participate fully, but honestly that's boring and not fun which is what people are complaining about.
    I think what we have here is an unfortunate example of me completely misconstruing an argument. Whoops!

But if I can play devil's advocate a moment, what do you think would be a good alternative to reputation rewards? I can see your point about the crafting recipes, especially; my main is exalted with the Shado-Pan, and I'm not exactly looking forward to repeating the rep grind with my enchanting alt to get those formulas. At the very least, I'd like to see those made BoA. That said, I don't think it's unreasonable for Blizzard to require some effort on the part of players to learn those formulas. I suppose they could offer them as trash drops in raids, much like the high-end crafting recipes for other professions.

And what about gear? There are several valor items that only require honored rep, which isn't very difficult at all to attain—even if you aren't fond of daily quests. There are also many ilvl 476 and 496 BoEs to be had. I suppose it would be nice to have a few pieces available from non-faction vendors, but I get the impression that Blizzard is hesitant to make too much raid-quality gear available at not-even-close-to-raid-quality effort. Still, anyone willing to invest their time should be able to make progress towards accomplishing their goals, and if that isn't the case, then hopefully it will be.

Deleted
    No one forces you to do dailes just like no one forces you to watch a really shitty program on TV

it there for some/most to enjoy.

Personally some of the dailies are doing my head in BUT i hope Blizz dont cave in to the QQers.

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    Other than a few scattered dailies, most of the Dailies in TBC didn't come around until shattered sun offensive.

Other than that the primary way of getting rep in TBC was grinding it in dungeons and with rep turn ins.

to add to this in bc the only way to get honor hold rep was to run helfire citadel instances for example, each zone on outland that had dungeons in it also had a faction that it accoiated with

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninaran View Post
    Is it now? Then why did I have to watch videos of the story for Shado-Pan / Celestials / Exalted Golden Lotus?

I can't even ride my Crimson Cloud Serpent..

So sad that everybody always only thinks about progression.
    You didn't HAVE to watch anything, you had the OPTION to look away, or go make a coffee instead?

Pretty sure you have other mounts that can fly, so again, if you want to fly a serpent, you have the OPTION of earning that right.

OPTIONAL progression. Makes no difference if you do them or not.

---------- Post added 2012-11-18 at 08:57 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post

As do I with you. Not all rep was gained through dungeons, I can think of 6 or 7 that had DAILIES as the ONLY way of getting rep, plus shattered sun. The factions had absolutely no effect on progression as it was (just like it is now) mounts as the main reason for levelling the rep. You clearly started in Lich, poor you

As do I with you. Not all rep was gained through dungeons, I can think of 6 or 7 that had DAILIES as the ONLY way of getting rep, plus shattered sun.
    Name them.

The factions had absolutely no effect on progression as it was (just like it is now) mounts as the main reason for levelling the rep. You clearly started in Lich, poor you
    http://www.wowwiki.com/Consortium

Rep gained by Mana Tombs instance and various item turn ins
    Rewards: Epics, Rares, and crafting patterns.

http://www.wowwiki.com/Cenarion_Expedition

Rep gained by Coilfang Resevoire instances and various item turn ins.

Rewards: Epics, Rares, crafting patterns, and the Hippogryph

http://www.wowwiki.com/Honor_Hold (or horde equivalent)

Rep gained by 1 daily quest, otherwise Hellfire Citadel dungeons.
    Rewards: Epics, Rares, and crafting patterns.

http://www.wowwiki.com/Keepers_of_Time

Rep gained by CoT dungeons only.
    Rewards: Epics, Rares and crafting patterns.

Aldor or Scryers
    Rep by item turn ins,
    Rewards: Epics, Rare and crafting patterns.

The main story-line related factions did not have daily quests. They had some of the regular quests lines, and rep turn in quests. And the awards could help with progression, in fact essential gem cuts and leg armors were rewarded by them. Aldor/Scryers provided shoulder enchants.

The raid related factions were advanced with trash/boss rep and rewarded epic crafting recipes and minor ugprade pieces (usually rings). With the exception of Shattered Sun Offensive, which had daily quests.

The factions that did have daily quests were fully optional and rewarded 'fun items' that didn't help with progression.

Daily questing didn't become a broad part of end game progression until WoTLK. (but was optional because of rep tabards, although you were initially forced to daily your way to hodir exalted for shoulder enchants)

Cata continued the "Daily or Dungeon" model.

Non Daily rep+Quartermaster with free epics and important crafting recipes STARTED IN TBC and remained until MoP.

EDIT: Forgot http://www.wowwiki.com/Lower_City

Deleted
    Oh lordy, somebody has selective reading.

And then you go on to contradict yourself. I also like how you snipped what I said to answer it in the bits you wanted to see. If you actually read what I said, I said I could think of 6 or 7 that had dailies, that had no effect at all on progression, which is completely correct. I am well aware of dungeon rep with the main factions. That however is completely different to what they have done in MoP, you are missing the point entirely. Example 1, skyguard, as I said, this is one of the 6 or 7 factions that were optional, just as ALL CURRENT DAILIES IN MOP.

The difference with tbc, was the factions held designs, patterns and so on, the badge gear wasn't dependant on faction standing and was actually worth getting. Unlike the very few pieces of valor gear now, which are a bonus if you CHOOSE to do dailies. If you don't then it really doesn't matter, not one little bit.

It seems you are trying so hard to make excuses as to why MoP dailies MUST BE DONE, when they clearly aren't, dailies are more optional now then they have ever been in the past. EVER.

10+ Year Old Account
    The difference with tbc, was the factions held designs, patterns and so on, the badge gear wasn't dependant on faction standing and was actually worth getting. Unlike the very few pieces of valor gear now, which are a bonus if you CHOOSE to do dailies.
    Being a tradeskiller, losing out on mid-tier and end-game recipes is not a choice.

Ashen Verdict in WotLK had the epic end-game recipes. In Cata Molten Front had 365 and raids dropped the end-game recipes (TBC style...blah). Those with tradeskillers who wanted to make use of tradeskills (to pay for leveling costs at least) grinded the reps as there were no other choice...BoP recipes are like that.

It's strange folks claim these things are optional, and probably more because they don't tradeskill fully.
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes.
    They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."

Quote Originally Posted by Kevyne-Shandris View Post
    Being a tradeskiller, losing out on mid-tier and end-game recipes is not a choice.

Ashen Verdict in WotLK had the epic end-game recipes. In Cata Molten Front had 365 and raids dropped the end-game recipes (TBC style...blah). Those with tradeskillers who wanted to make use of tradeskills (to pay for leveling costs at least) grinded the reps as there were no other choice...BoP recipes are like that.

It's strange folks claim these things are optional, and probably more because they don't tradeskill fully.
    So what I'm hearing is... the way that you choose to play the game includes choosing to do all of the factions because you can't play in your chosen playstyle unless you can get all of the patterns that you have chosen to believe that you need?

Yes. I see how they are forcing you now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Luciferiuz View Post
    So what I'm hearing is... the way that you choose to play the game includes choosing to do all of the factions because you can't play in your chosen playstyle unless you can get all of the patterns that you have chosen to believe that you need?

Yes. I see how they are forcing you now.
    So what I'm hearing is...If you don't want to get anywhere in WoW chose to do nothing.

Makes a great game by wasting millions of dollars each expansion on fluff, right?
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes.
    They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."

I sense something. A presence I've not felt since...... Cataclysm. History repeats.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I haven't really read anything past page 3. However while I... HATE dailies. I do enjoy doing dungeons as for some reason they don't seem to get stale for me at least... as quickly and if they do I can always do them in a different spec.

Again since I have not really read all the pages and maybe someone has said this but it can make both sides happy (possibly).

Since the two major sides are:

A: Keep dailies the only source of faction rep gains.
    B: Add another source or add tabard gains back.

Why not add dailies into the dungeons. At say friendly or higher of every faction (Yes that forces you to do most of the available dailies that rotate.) they would have 2-3 or so rotating Dungeon daily quests. Since nearly every dungeon has areas that are not traveled things can be added there to kill and or collect.

Take for example Shado-Pan reputation and Shadow-Pan Monastery you have a daily that would give you a quest to kill a... Sha-corrupted ghost of some Shado-Pan warrior that would be placed in the hallway after the first boss where the Sha are moving about and there's a throne to the right that has NOTHING there currently but an empty throne.

It's a slow way to gain rep. However you will eventually get the rep you need even if it's only 500 rep per day.
    Last edited by Vyce223; 2012-11-19 at 06:33 AM. Reason: Tiny clarfication change.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevyne-Shandris View Post
    So what I'm hearing is...If you don't want to get anywhere in WoW chose to do nothing.

Makes a great game by wasting millions of dollars each expansion on fluff, right?
    So just cause some people choose to be vegeterians all the meat in the world is wasted?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Suizid View Post
    So just cause some people choose to be vegeterians all the meat in the world is wasted?
    Or vice versa?

It's a pointless argument, as it's up to the gamer to decide...not others.

Deleted
    let me just squish in here for a moment and say to all you folks here , that doing dailies is NOT required and having alts is possible.

2 points on this matter and for the love of god read them and don't be a retard and ignore it.

point 1 , it's my own playstyle. i got my hunter to 90 and started with the cloud serpent / golden lotus. once the cloud serpent on exalted i only did the golden lotus. now with the golden lotus on revered i can finaly go and do my shado pan dailies for the mount / head transmog wich i wanted since the beginning they showed them in the beta. i am almost exalted with them , did i have to give up anything ? like my alts? my gear ? my fun ? no not at all! because only doing 1 rep at a time or maybe 2 if they are close together , gives me plenty of time to do other stuff! i got the cloud serpent exalted , golden lotus revered , shado pan revered ( almost exalted) and i got the august celestial on half to revered as well, as u can see i did not bother to do the others as of yet. but here if my point : i got 2 lvl 90s, 1 is good geared for PvP combat the way it is now, and the other 1 is still gearing, i got an 89 monk who is almost 90! did i have fun ? yes! did i do any scenarios ? yes! did i do sha of angar every week? yes! and look at my daily reputation! all fine for now.

now point 2 how my friend did it .
    he dinged lvl 90 and he really hates question on his main char , i don't know why it makes a different but what ever. the moment he dinged 90 he went straight into hcs ( he bought some 450 gear he missed in the AH for 500/600g a piece) and went gearing that way , within 3 days he was full 463 and he was ready to tank mogu shan vaults. they got till elegon the second week MoP went live , wich is not bad for a casual guild who only raids on fridays / saterday's . yet he maybe done 1 or 2 days dailies and then he gave up! his tank is full geared and ready to take on mogu shan vaults , yes maybe not heart of fear or terrace of the endles spring , but thats why he got to gear up in mogu shan normal/ LFR , wich he did.

if u are telling me , you NEED to have all your chars on exalted with EVERY rep , u are not a casual and u are plain dumb. whats the point ? once u reach exalted with all your chars ( for the gear that is , for recipes i understand!) they probarly add some hc's wich dropps the same item lvl as those!

so think before u QQ and think over your options , caus hearing : " omg i gotta have all my 9 chars to exalted and it takes way to much time" makes me sick of reading forums. caus if u got 9 lvl 90s what are u trying to do with them in a beginning of an expansion ? first expansion u are the level cap to begin with or what ? as for as i recall , in TBC u could't have 9 alts lvl 70 and have them full geared in the first 2 months. and neither did wotlk in the beginning. in the end maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Henkdejager View Post
    let me just squish in here for a moment and say to all you folks here , that doing dailies is NOT required and having alts is possible.

/snip
    Nice explanation, could you explain how I can get profession patterns without dailies please?

Regarding the posts above nobody is disputing dailies are optional, every single thing in the game, including the game itself, is optional. However participating in aspects of the game requires dailies, and people who want to participate in those things do need to do dailies. They don't enjoy them, and want another equal but different path to get to their goals, which is not unreasonable given that this xpac is supposedly meant to give players options about how they play and allowing people to play the game they enjoy. I'm not sure why that's so hard for people to grasp.

How would all the people who think dailies should be the one and only path feel if the one and only path was say arena? That has as much relation to the outcomes as dailies do. Would you be ok with that? I mean you wouldn't have to arena after all, it's all optional right?

Deleted
    If the only path was arena, we'd still have the CHOICE not to do it. I am starting to see it is hard for some people to understand, maybe they are CHOOSING to ignore the facts.

Basically what you are saying, is that you want to be just handed patterns for logging on. Return of the Lich Babies.