So I wrote a similar thread a while ago about this same issue, but after doing some thinking, I wanted to bring it up again to see if I could find real tangible reasons as to why the transfer of characters from a US guild to EU or vice versa, can't be accomplished. Some background information:
I live in the UK but raid on a US server 4 nights a week. We make good progress and I love my guild and everything about it, however I do sometimes wish I had the option to change to my region should it come to the point where I want to raid early evening and not on EST. I would also love to experience a raid without dealing with 100ms+ latency - at best. This latency may seem trivial to some, but when it affects raid calls, I can sometimes get caught out and die to mechanics when really it's just server lag trying to catch up.
- Blizzard allows internal server migration as a main feature, alongside name changes, race changes and faction change. All of these are just basic data swaps within their database of players
- Chosen data has to be passed from US to EU servers otherwise the same updates wouldn't apply to both US and EU game clients
- Why can't this be done with character transfers? even for an increased price
- With Blizzard's introduction of cross realm raiding/rbg's and battletags allowing for increased socialising with those on other servers, why hasn't a US to EU movement option at least been trialled?
- Even if the option isn't feasible for Blizzard, why can't they give people who wish to change clients a new character on their new chosen US/EU realm that is a copy of their current character?
- For example: I have a level 90 Warrior on a US server, if I chose to migrate to an EU client, I'd like to have a new Warrior with the same level/gear waiting for me on my new server so i could pick up where I left off.
- I wouldn't mind paying an increased fee for this, since it would allow me to play literally on my own time instead of meeting raid times in the middle of the night and having to deal with sometimes game changing latency. Plus not having to level from 1 to 90, acquire all the gear and achievements again would be more than worth an increased price tag.
My main concern out of all of this, above all the lag issues and time difference, is having a similar thing happen to when I started Diablo 3. Because all my friends from WoW (naturally) started playing on US servers I began there too. But an update appeared sometime after the game released and deleted all of my characters and forced me to play on EU servers, starting from scratch. I came to the conclusion it probably had something to do with the RMAH due to currency conversion perhaps giving me cheaper prices for items.
If this happened with WoW at any point, it would legitimately piss me off due to the countless hours I'd put into this character and community I had joined over the past 2 years. I don't want to quit WoW, but it would ruin the game for me if Blizzard decided to make this change. And from all I've written here, and all the thinking I've done, I don't see why there isn't an option at least in the works for us to transfer to where we want to go.