Page 1 of 13
... LastLast
    Deleted

Do outdated graphics turn you off playing old games that you know you'd like?

This is an odd question, but allowed me to share some context.
    By the title, I mean games that are perhaps highly recommended, your type of genre, or perhaps even an older game in a series you enjoy.

This is the feeling I get.
    When I go back and play FF7 I don't notice the graphics. When I go back and play MGS I don't notice the graphics.
    When I go back and play Ocarina of Time I don't notice the graphics.

However, anything that I didn't play when I was "growing up", (like earlier Zelda games) and I didn't have the chance to go back and play now, even though I know I'd love them, like really early FF games, earlier Zelda games, and just games that people have recommended (like this game called Terranigma which sounds awesome.)

Same with the friend who told me to play Terranigma, I urge him to play FF7 and the like, and he just can't get into it.

This is incredibly shallow, and I was wondering if it affected anyone else.

EDIT: This is absolutely NOT an "are old games better than new games" or vice versa thread. If you bringing it up you can fuck off, because truth be told there are magnificent games on every platform, in every era, and any "gaming is not what is used to be" or similar "old games look cheap and gay lol" will just make you look like a clown.
    Last edited by mmocd7e429002a; 2012-11-17 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Clarification.

Deleted
    Nope. Best games ever made are from the era when graphics were bad compared to now. Including FF VII.

Deleted
    Dude.

Seriously.

Go play Terranigma.

Not getting into the debate about old games and graphics, just wanted to say that.

Depends how out dated. Lots of people like retro 8 bit, 16bit style graphics but i personally can't stomach them anymore. Which is a shame since i own quite a few i've never completed. A good example would be some of the Final Fantasys before 7.
    We are warriors, born from the light
    An army for freedom, defenders of life
    Warriors, euphoria will rise
    Returning from darkness we bury all lies

Deleted
    Not really,
    Recently got the free Battlefield 1942 off origin. I know I will be installing DC Final mod and trying to find some old FBZ clan members to shoot in the face

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xucuroz View Post
    Depends how out dated. Lots of people like retro 8 bit, 16bit style graphics but i personally can't stomach them anymore. Which is a shame since i own quite a few i've never completed. A good example would be some of the Final Fantasys before 7.
    Aye, my situation exactly.
    I played FF 1 and 2 as they were released on the PS1 (in the "Origins") package, and at the time they were epic, and I could happily play those 2 now (especially 1), however ones I've not played now with that graphics style (like 4 and 5) I have tried to go back and play, but just can't stomach them.

A great out lier in this is probably FF6, which I played for the first time very, very recently, and that was pretty great. The story caught me, and although I didn't complete it, I could just about look past the graphics.

Deleted
    Sometimes it bothers me, other times it doesn't. Depends on the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Suizid View Post
    Nope. Best games ever made are from the era when graphics were bad compared to now. Including FF VII.
    Nostalgia is a terrible thing.

Sometimes if I'm honest. Some games date better then others.

Don't underestimate the power of nostalgia either. Old games that you have previously yourself played can't really count. The real test is would you play an old game you have never played before? That is where friends fail sometimes because you want them to play an old game they have never tried before.

Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    was just about to post that

I kind of miss sprites to be honest. They can look really good in the modern day if done right e.g Street Fighter Third Strike, Breath of Fire 3&4. ❤

Deleted
    Graphics is a bonus. Gameplay is what its all about. That is why for instance wow still pwns all other flashy mmos that come.

Gameplay>Graphics

Deleted
    Not at all. Games like minecraft prove the graphics of a game are nothing to do with how popular it is.

Game play over graphics , ALWAYS!

Deleted
    Not so much.

I have tried going back and playing older games that I haven't played in a while and hated them due to how dated they feel. Not graphics wise either, most FPS games feel really sluggish when you compare them to BF3 for example.
    I'd rather not play older games and shatter my nostalgia with reality, new games smash most older games out of the water now in almost every way.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Chillstream View Post
    Not at all. Games like minecraft prove the graphics of a game are nothing to do with how popular it is.

Game play over graphics , ALWAYS!
    I knew someone would bring up Minecraft, but tbh if it didn't look like it did, it would be "it".
    You can't have a graphicly good minecraft... because it would not work the same.

Gameplay over graphics any day. There are still lots of great games nowadays, but it seems like back-in-the-day before game graphics got "realistic" the focus of games were on gameplay versus realism and story. I preferred that. I love going back and playing old games. I buy them all the time on my Wii and 360.

Gameplay > Graphics.
    I don't mind Graphics, i usually have everything set to lowest possible graphical settings anyway, with my 7 year old computer >.<

But i have to say, the fluidity and character animations really matter to me.
    I've enjoyed Rift when it came out and i've played it for abit, but when i tried to return to it, the charater animations really turned me off.
    There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want

Deleted
    Graphics do make a game fresh. Look at Half life 1, I could not sit through that game again, yet I could sit through Black Mesa Source (Just Half Life 1 remade in source) and enjoy it.

I would personally enjoy games to be more like tf2 style. Not the art style of it, but the smoothness of its graphics. None of this bullshit by adding dust and mist to cover up bad level design. TF2 is clean, polished and runs like a dream. If more game developers adopted this and stopped covering their mistakes by using bad techniques, we would have a better overall games market.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    So what you're saying is old games can't be good?