1. #1

    Favorite Fractal so far - Freeing the Colossus

    I've completed 6 fractals so far, that's 2 levels and the Jade Maw boss.

    Hands down favorite has to be Freeing the Colossus or Cliffside Giant.

    You work your way up a cliff, breaking seals that have the Colossus chained to the cliff. You start off by killing a Legendary boss, taking his hammer and charging the hammer by killing mobs. The hammer comes with condition damage however and your party must coordinate switching off on who is holding the hammer or you die. The hammer must deal the killing blow on the mob to get the seal breaking ability.

    The seals need to be weakened before they are broken and you must go back and forth through a back passageway between the seals on each level (ankles, chest, arms), alternately charging the hammer with mob kills and using the seal breaking ability.

    On your way up the cliff you deal with gargoyles that will try to knock you down and the flame pops that will blow you off that you need to time right on when to run up.

    At the very top you have another Legendary boss and a final seal. The boss spawns adds at each 25% health and will randomly throw a party member into a cage. Break the cage, kill the mobs, charge the hammer, break the seal, keep switching off the hammer. When the boss dies and you break the final seal you get this:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRtPweuU26o

    This all sounds pretty straightforward, but words cannot convey how EPIC this fight is. Working your way up that cliff with the Colossus struggling to be free. After he bows to you, if you bow in return you get an achievement.

    I completed it at level 1 difficulty, it will be interesting to see how it scales up when like Emeril Lagasse says BAM! and we kick it up a notch and take it to the next fractal level.
    Did you think we had forgotten? Did you think we had forgiven?

  2. #2
    That was a pretty cool one. I wonder if we will meet him or his race again.

  3. #3
    The boss fight after difficulty 2 is also pretty good.

  4. #4
    That looks really cool/fun.

    Is there platform/trap jumping involved in that fractal?

  5. #5
    The Patient
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    255
    This one was the 3rd fractal I did.
    We all fell down in some point due to wind and explosions, luckily we had a mesmer with portals that saved us a lot of time.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    That looks really cool/fun.

    Is there platform/trap jumping involved in that fractal?
    I think 2 Fractals have jumping parts. One is the Asura Fractal where it looks like some mad scientist took over Rata Sum (Future perhaps?) and the 2nd one is the collossus which has more traps and narrow ledges and wind to knock you off.

  7. #7
    The bonus boss every 6 fractals also has jumping, but nothing I would call puzzle.

    colossus actually has no jumping, only parts with gimmicks which can kick you down and one part with very narrow boards. no jumping.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeek Daniels View Post
    I think 2 Fractals have jumping parts. One is the Asura Fractal where it looks like some mad scientist took over Rata Sum (Future perhaps?) and the 2nd one is the collossus which has more traps and narrow ledges and wind to knock you off.
    The Asura Kitty Cube has really easy jumps with big platforms and small spaces between.
    The underground dredge one has a few, again real easy jumps.
    That's all I know so far.
    Did you think we had forgotten? Did you think we had forgiven?

  9. #9
    Warchief barackopala's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Chile, Viña del Mar
    Posts
    2,141
    My favourite was the tentacle boss one, lazers and tentacles with crystals, every hentai girl dream.

  10. #10
    The Lightbringer Rukh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    3,575
    My favorite is the snow one. They did _so_good_ with really making it feel like trekking out in the cold dark forest. The first boss fight uses this ability that puts you in a random location around a camp and puts out all the camp fires, and you really feel the dred chill of nature close in as you scramble around to figure out where the torches were dropped so you can light the fire. I've never seen it done so well in any game. And, after that going through the forest. I really wish they'd always use that level of darkness at night in zones. You see the glow of your team's torches off in front and behind like a real night journey, and all around the still darkness.

  11. #11
    The Lightbringer Durzlla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    3,650
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukh View Post
    My favorite is the snow one. They did _so_good_ with really making it feel like trekking out in the cold dark forest. The first boss fight uses this ability that puts you in a random location around a camp and puts out all the camp fires, and you really feel the dred chill of nature close in as you scramble around to figure out where the torches were dropped so you can light the fire. I've never seen it done so well in any game. And, after that going through the forest. I really wish they'd always use that level of darkness at night in zones. You see the glow of your team's torches off in front and behind like a real night journey, and all around the still darkness.
    lol i find it funny how i, the only ranger in the group, am the only one who doesn't get completely bonned in both the snow and the swamp one lol, in the swamp one i avoid all the traps like a champion (and as such i always take the furthest wisp to the pole thingy), and then in the snow one i seem to be the only one that can not only navigate that dark (and REALLY bad ass) forest, but also not freeze to death!

    Ah, it just goes to show how much more awesome us rangers are compared to all you LESSER professions...

    PS: My favorite out of the ~5 i've done so far is easily the Grawl and the Swamp ones, i love the whole theme and feel of the grawl one, and i can't help but to yell KALI MA!! KALI MA!! in vent while doing it...
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

  12. #12
    I am Murloc! Firebert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Colchester, land of the squaddies, UK
    Posts
    5,384
    Came here expecting mathematics, was disappointed.

    For anyone else expecting mathematics, here's the Mandelbrot set.

    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...elbrot_set.jpg
    37 + (3*7) + (3*7)
    W/L/Death count: Wolf: 0/1/1 | Mafia: 0/5/5 | TPR: 0/4/4
    SK: 0/1/1 | VT: 1.5/3.5/5 | Cult: 1/0/1
    Glyphmaster Gunhaver

  13. #13
    My first Fractal run started off with the same thing. Nobody in the group had done it before either, was fun figuring out each successive shackle. Thoroughly enjoyed freeing Dr Manhattan from his bonds!

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeek Daniels View Post
    That was a pretty cool one. I wonder if we will meet him or his race again.
    I hope so! His bow was so kind! I wanna hug him!

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    Thoroughly enjoyed freeing Dr Manhattan from his bonds!
    Bwahahaha. I lost it.

    Goodness, I literally choked on my bagel and almost died.

  16. #16
    Warchief barackopala's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Chile, Viña del Mar
    Posts
    2,141
    Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    lol i find it funny how i, the only ranger in the group, am the only one who doesn't get completely bonned in both the snow and the swamp one lol, in the swamp one i avoid all the traps like a champion (and as such i always take the furthest wisp to the pole thingy), and then in the snow one i seem to be the only one that can not only navigate that dark (and REALLY bad ass) forest, but also not freeze to death!

    Ah, it just goes to show how much more awesome us rangers are compared to all you LESSER professions...

    PS: My favorite out of the ~5 i've done so far is easily the Grawl and the Swamp ones, i love the whole theme and feel of the grawl one, and i can't help but to yell KALI MA!! KALI MA!! in vent while doing it...
    Havent done the swamp one yet sadly, but the snow one with the blizzard encounter felt amazing, same as rukh, the fact of you getting somewhat lost in the blizzard was great (little tip: Put a waypoint near the bonfire so you won't get lost and confused, the first time I did it I started roaming around getting frost stacks !).

    Last night I did the colosus encounter, none of us knew about it, but as my party started going up we got used to the mechanic quite easily, loved the encounter and the ending.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •