Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Requires rooting the phone though, which will remove some features (buying music/movies from google play store for example).
    News to me. I purchased Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Allelujah! Don't Bend! Ascend! via Google Play on my rooted device on October 15th. Just purchased Both - We Are The Romans to see if it may be something new. Running AOKP Milestone 6; also rooted.

Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    News to me. I purchased Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Allelujah! Don't Bend! Ascend! via Google Play on my rooted device on October 15th. Just purchased Both - We Are The Romans to see if it may be something new. Running AOKP Milestone 6; also rooted.
    To be more precise, rooting an Android device should make you unable to play back any DRM'ed content which is locked to your phone.

Maybe the music you got is not DRM protected, as more and more stores are moving towards plain vanilla mp3's again. Should have much more problems with video purchases, especially on streaming video services and digital rentals.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Good to hear Samsung is so fast with the patches, already was looking that direction for my next phone.

Somewhat related to topic but not quite: my Nexus 7 installed Android 4.2 yesterday.
    I wouldn't call Samsung fast with updates at best they aren't as slow as the other bunch, I think it still takes a average of 6 months before they update anything. I think it took Samsung around 10 months (close to a year at least) to update the Galaxy S2 to 4.0 while at the same time ignoring every other phone.

And Samsung is exactly the same as the other companies which refuses to update their devices even though it has been proven that it is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    I wouldn't call Samsung fast with updates at best they aren't as slow as the other bunch, I think it still takes a average of 6 months before they update anything. I think it took Samsung around 10 months (close to a year at least) to update the Galaxy S2 to 4.0 while at the same time ignoring every other phone.

And Samsung is exactly the same as the other companies which refuses to update their devices even though it has been proven that it is possible.
    Bah... Puts WP8 back on the list of possibilities then.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    To be more precise, rooting an Android device should make you unable to play back any DRM'ed content which is locked to your phone.

Maybe the music you got is not DRM protected, as more and more stores are moving towards plain vanilla mp3's again. Should have much more problems with video purchases, especially on streaming video services and digital rentals.
    Google Play Movies no longer detects and blocks rooted devices.

What I gather is that most content is DRM-free, and all their music is DRM-free. Items that can include DRM don't explicitly state that they check rooted devices, but it can be pretty much whatever the developer wants it to be. Most common check seem to be the one they suggest:

Your application does not query the licensing server directly, but instead calls the Google Play client over remote IPC to initiate a license request. In the license request:

• Your application provides: its package name, a nonce that is later used to validate any response from the server, and a callback over which the response can be returned asynchronously.
    • The Google Play client collects the necessary information about the user and the device, such as the device's primary Google account username, IMSI, and other information. It then sends the license check request to the server on behalf of your application.
    • The Google Play server evaluates the request using all available information, attempting to establish the user's identity to a sufficient level of confidence. The server then checks the user identity against purchase records for your application and returns a license response, which the Google Play client returns to your application over the IPC callback.

You can choose when, and how often, you want your application to check its license and you have full control over how it handles the response, verifies the signed response data, and enforces access controls.
    Just seems to be a way to confirm purchase of product; doesn't seem to interfere with being rooted.

Is there an official HTC update? HTC has a reputation for slow to non-existent updates. Samsung too for that matter. However sometimes carriers like to block updates as well. Nexus devices are okay if you don't mind being forced to the cloud if you want more space.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuji V2 View Post
    Not only that, but also the Galaxy S2 is at 4.1.2.

Though, instead of relying on carriers, why don't you flash an international version yourself?
    That's what I do. I generally wait for a stable ROM from Samsung to be released and flash it manually myself (which is pretty easy for SamDevices).
    It's possible you can do the same with HTC as well.
    doesnt the international version require root anyways? if it is the case you might as well just flash CM10... going back to my days with my htc touch running windows plus the first version of sense, i had to root to update to the international version. not sure if it still holds as this was prob 6 years ago at least.

to OP: ive been on 4.1 for months now, stable. rooting your phone is easy and while someone said there is negatives to it in this thread im not even sure those are really true, yet ive never tried downloading music from the play store but who has??

either way ill be on 4.2 probably within a month. rooting is the way to go and the CM or AOKP team is always there to back you up.
    Intel i5-2500k@4.4ghz
    Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3
    Gigabyte N560OC 1gb gpu
    Corsair 2x4gb
    Antec v2 Two Hundred
    Razer Blackwidow Ultimate
    Razer Naga

15+ Year Old Account
    If Google controlled the OS updates like Apple does with iOS, we wouldn't have this problem.

I just got JB on my Galaxy Nexus about a month ago, and it's been available since July when Google released the source to the Android Open Source Project (AOSP). Verizon had been holding the update back for "testing" (a new DROID just came out around that time so take that how you want).

Deleted
    Unless you root your phone, you will have to wait for the manufacturer to release Android updates. HTC usually doesn't take this long, but like Motorola, they are slow because they need to incorporate their silly UI onto the product from Google. HTC uses Sense, which is probably delaying your update. If you want the updates quicker, your best best is to have a Google branded phone.

I also have a unlocked/rooted GNex and am using mmuzzy's 4.2 It's stable and beautiful.

Deleted
    Why are you expecting this so soon?. My nexus 7 only for jelly bean last week and this is google's own tablet. Also I don't see much reason to want it. It's not very stable in it's current release and the features it brings (swipe keyboard, photosphere) being the big 2 talking points, are downloadable in app form. This has not been one of the best releases for Android.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by razorback07 View Post
    Why are you expecting this so soon?. My nexus 7 only for jelly bean last week and this is google's own tablet. Also I don't see much reason to want it. It's not very stable in it's current release and the features it brings (swipe keyboard, photosphere) being the big 2 talking points, are downloadable in app form. This has not been one of the best releases for Android.
    Thats 4.2.

Us HTC One X users are still waiting for 4.1 which brings Project Butter and more battery improvements (apparently). I've been waiting for them to fix the battery issues (its so crap) for a while now and I hoped that 4.1 would have been released by now.

I have the unlocked international HTC One X from Amazon. Please update

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by razorback07 View Post
    That's 4.2, which is the 2nd version of jelly bean, same as both 2.0 and 2.1 were both called "eclair".

jelly bean 4.1 was released back in July.

Deleted
    Why not flash a custom rom then? :S There are some great 4.1.2 roms out on XDA. I know you need an unlocked bootloader and rooted phone, but imo you are not getting the full potential of your phone if you not doing this. Just my opinion though..

I know it kinda defeats the point of OTA updates, but the 1st thing I do when I get a new phone is root/unlock and flash custom recovery/rom. It just adds to the experience of android.

Deleted
    Voids warranty. I don't dare, besides, it is a lot of hassle.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by coolkingler1 View Post
    No it doesn't (and no it's not, so easy nowadays compared to the HTC Hero days).

https://fsfe.org/freesoftware/legal/...evices.en.html

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by coolkingler1 View Post
    Doesn't HTC honor warranty on unlocked phones? I thought they even provided the tools to help you unlock the bootloader.

Think link above me cleared it up nicely.

The "a lot of hassle" isn't really an excuse either, most phones now have a 1 click unlock/root application. You can pretty much root/unlock any phone in 10 mins tops now-a-days.
    Last edited by mmoca8c3a8c487; 2012-11-23 at 03:32 PM.

My HTC One X was purchased from a Taiwanese store. I see the SINA Weibo app on it, and plus when the phone was restored to factory, the default language was Chinese. Makes me think that OK - I obviously have the International version. Furthermore it's the quadcore world edition.

HTC announced a little while back that they released the 4.1 Jellybean update, but first to International devices. So why then, hasn't my HTC One X received any sign of an update? The last one I got was merely just an incremental update to ICS(4.0.4). I also noticed that, for me to even get the 4.0.4 update, I had to connect the phone to Wi-Fi(otherwise the phone would report "there are no new updates). Interesting, so the carrier blocks HTC's update server?

I've been through the whole rooting and ROM flashing thing. XDA was my home page for the longest time. I used to own a Galaxy Nexus and just about every few days I was trying different ROMs and it was exciting to try and see what each had to offer. But I soon spotted some downsides - first, you'd have these weird bugs here and there(mundane things like the weather app not working properly, and yes I tried clearing the data). Or my Galaxy Nexus would lock up entirely, forcing me to pull the battery(yes I researched this and some phones are sensitive to the default voltages set, luck of the draw). Or the volume would be low, despite cranking it up all the way to max and even loading in Volume+.

In the end, the novelty and fun of trying new ROMs got a little tiresome, especially during times when the phone would outright freeze up. I wanted a reliable device.

---------- Post added 2012-11-24 at 02:00 AM ----------

More to add. Your HTC CID must be on this list in order for you to be eligible for JellyBean.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1957376

If you're not on the list, then you aren't gonna get it. Use the app CID Getter to determine your phone's CID:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...soft.cidgetter

My HTC One X was HTC_622. I looked at the list and I see HTC_621 on the list -_-

That explains why I haven't gotten the JellyBean update. And lord only knows if and when I'll ever see it.

Deleted
    So it's December and still no Jelly Bean.

That's it, I will do everything in my might to switch to a S3.

This is absolute crap service.

And no, they have not released it yet. My provider doesn't even know about it. All the employee could say was: It has been delayed.
    Last edited by mmoc13485c3c3f; 2012-12-03 at 04:10 PM.

Deleted
    Maybe you should have some more patience, it is only 5/12. And you should be able to download it now.

http://tweakers.net/nieuws/85935/htc...ers-one-x.html