Thread: LFR old raids?

  1. #1
    Mechagnome Mikehuntz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Frozen Throne
    Posts
    532

    LFR old raids?

    Now I know this idea has most likely been brought up but couldn't help to think how good it'll be. Bringing us down to the respective levels with a group of 10, 25 or 40 people to run through the whole raid. Bringing back the old days for the older players or just new experiences for the newer players. No nerfs done to them or anything. Just something to think about.

  2. #2
    The problem that I see from that is our damage potential, healing, and tanking are way different then it used to be. Encounters, while still difficult in a way, will be a pushover to what they used to be. Nifty idea though.

  3. #3
    It was very hard back then.
    The trash in molten core alone could wipe you with ease. In blackwing lair you needed 5 warlocks(i think it was) at some trash pack to get past it.

    They made LFR very easy, to make sure people didn't ragequit on the first boss.
    You need a real raid if you want the cooperation needed for a raid like that

    Edit: I can't read. Changed all ;P
    Last edited by Terridon; 2012-11-20 at 06:36 AM.
    Everyone has so much to say
    They talk talk talk their lives away

  4. #4
    Not sure why you'd need RF for something like MC that a single 90 can destroy.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    Not sure why you'd need RF for something like MC that a single 90 can destroy.
    Hehe.. You did the same mistake as me.

    OP wrote "bringing us down to the respective levels with a group of 10, 25 or 40 "
    Everyone has so much to say
    They talk talk talk their lives away

  6. #6
    It'd be great, even if all they did was give you the ability to queue for old content raids. Just something to do for kicks when bored, and an easier way to find a few extra people for a transmog run or achi run (some achis might be a bit hard with LFR pugs though haha).

    Actually down-scaling you would be a bigger ask, they're only in the early stages of that tech with CMs, I think it'll be quite a while before LFR of all old raids would be possible.

  7. #7
    they have the technology now to scale gear, so a little fine tuning there to compensate for the level difference and old raids can become a great LFR addition. i know i'd give it a go once if it was available via LFR.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by rnbwtrout View Post
    they have the technology now to scale gear, so a little fine tuning there to compensate for the level difference and old raids can become a great LFR addition. i know i'd give it a go once if it was available via LFR.
    Problem is some encounters will need drastic tweaking. It's a lot of work. Plus some encounters have mechanics that your average LFR just won't grasp.

    A challenge mode style gear normalisation to allow LFR in all raids would be epic, but doubt its a 5 minute job.

    Now just think, if Blizzard could implement a form of gear up scaling... So run LFR in Black Temple (gear is normalised to BT levels), Bulwark shield drops, leave LFR, item up scales to lvl 90 value. Bit of thought behind ills to ensure its not op at max level and bingo.
    WHEN I POST IN CAPS CURSE SPEAK FOR ALL PALADINS AND REFRAIN FROM PUNCTUATION EXCEPT AT THE END OF MY SENTENCE WHERE I USE EXTRA YOU CAN'T ARGUE WITH MY LOGIC!!!!!!!

  9. #9
    mc is way to easy for lvl 60ish because blizzard made lowers lvls more powerfull with each exp.

  10. #10
    even if you scale down a current level 90 the new abilities and spells we have are way more refined than the old one, making old raid basically a joke, to make them challanging every single boss and trash pack should be rescripted from the ground making the job enormous.
    Btw if they allow queuing for trasmog run leaving the level as it is, it will be a nice future.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikehuntz View Post
    Now I know this idea has most likely been brought up but couldn't help to think how good it'll be. Bringing us down to the respective levels with a group of 10, 25 or 40 people to run through the whole raid. Bringing back the old days for the older players or just new experiences for the newer players. No nerfs done to them or anything. Just something to think about.
    I assume you have absolutely no idea how much the game has changed since those days. Even if there was LFR version for Molten Core for example with peoples level and gear level scaled down, it would be stupidly easy. There would not be any challenge like you remember (if you even played back in vanilla, which I actually believe to be the case).

  12. #12
    Stood in the Fire THoyt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    365
    How about scaling up old raids? Would seems easier to me.

  13. #13
    Stood in the Fire Centerra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Argent Dawn EU
    Posts
    385
    MC was never that hard really, it was just the first raid in wow, and the average level of play in vanilla was pretty low for quite a while from the majority of raiders, even then you could 20 man all of it. BWL was much harder, and AQ much harder still. A lot of guilds in BC found that most of their 40 man teams were actually not that good. C'thun was the only fight I can think of that actively required all 40 to work in perfect harmony.

    Although I like the idea of re balancing every old raid to current difficulty, maybe as an option in caverns of time, but in the case of nax what we got was a butchered easymode raid.
    Last edited by Centerra; 2012-11-20 at 07:15 AM.

  14. #14
    I think this would be a great addition to the game. People who never got a chance to experience those raids could then do so. I do see a few problems with this though.

    For one, players would need to have all of their core abilities by level 60. Right now, some specs don't even get all of them until past level 80. There's also the problem of the mastery bonuses which kick in at level 80. I could see them rearranging all of the skills so that people get all of their core abilities by level 60 and most of the cool, flashy abilities later on, but I don't know what they'd do about mastery.

    Also, where are all the players going to come from? Only a very small number of characters of the appropriate levels are active at any given time, and if even you allowed higher level players to temporarily shift their level and equipment power down, what's their incentive? You certainly wouldn't be able to give them something that would improve their power at the level cap like JP or VP because that would make doing them feel mandatory for the cap level players. You might be able to give lower level characters experience, but only up to a certain maximum level. The only other things people would run them for are achievements and transmog gear, neither of which is important to everyone.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Centerra View Post
    MC was never that hard really, it was just the first raid in wow, and the average level of play in vanilla was pretty low for quite a while from the majority of raiders, even then you could 20 man all of it. BWL was much harder, and AQ much harder still. A lot of guilds in BC found that most of their 40 man teams were actually not that good. C'thun was the only fight I can think of that actively required all 40 to work in perfect harmony.

    Although I like the idea of re balancing every old raid to current difficulty, maybe as an option in caverns of time, but in the case of nax what we got was a butchered easymode raid.
    It would be a great social experiment. Thrust 25 random players into a slightly modified MC with all lvl 90 abilities and mastery with gear normalised to MC level and see if they can overcome it.
    WHEN I POST IN CAPS CURSE SPEAK FOR ALL PALADINS AND REFRAIN FROM PUNCTUATION EXCEPT AT THE END OF MY SENTENCE WHERE I USE EXTRA YOU CAN'T ARGUE WITH MY LOGIC!!!!!!!

  16. #16
    I know it'd take a bunch of re-tuning but adding LFR for old raids AND spreading all the raids out over a greater amount of levels would make leveling so much better.

    Like leveling through a 15 man scholomance at level 55. Or through molten core at level 61. Or through Trial of the Crusader at level 83.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-860 @2.8GHz | Radeon HD 7770 | 8GB DDR3-1333MHz | Corsair CX 430W |

  17. #17
    I think the incentive to run old raids is gone, when you can't use the gear that drops... it could be fun for a couple of times, but my bet is that most people would loose interest fast.

    Another thing is resistance gear, how would they manage that...

    Some of the fun memories from the old raids is often tied to the people you played with anyway.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •