Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Most of these caps are entirely reasonable for an F2P game. I mean, most of these restrictions are reasonable and you can get by with them, but you'll certainly see the merit to subscribe if you do end up liking the game. What is absolutely ridiculous, however, was the fact that they put restrictions on things that severely impair their paying members. Sure, no paying member would care if an F2P player only get 2 ability bars, a money cap of 200,000 or that they have to pay to wear epic items, but I would imagine that paying subscribers would care that F2P players have a limit to the amount of Flashpoints and Warzones they can do weekly.

Honestly, by having at least Flashpoints uncapped, P2P players would get groups a plenty for their Flashpoints while leveling which would make them damn happy. I would imagine they would be happy to have Warzones somewhat uncapped as well (maybe no cap until the 40ies, then a slow decline of availible warzones a week once you approach 50).

It is a reasonable model with some really weird decisions, not only from a quality of life perspective, but from a income gain perspective as well.

I think the model has some pretty serious flaws, especially in the "too far" department. I mean, come on, you have to pay for action bars. GODDAMN ACTION BARS

I almost regret making this thread- The more posts I read the more negative things I discover about F2P and the less I want to return to it.

slime

imo nothing is "too far" as it shouldn't be free to play to begin with. I don't mind paying if content is delivered. patch 1,5 brought content, i'm paying and contented. If it dries up I stop paying. Just pay tbh, the levelling experience is worth the money either way

Quote Originally Posted by Lemmiwink View Post
    imo nothing is "too far" as it shouldn't be free to play to begin with. I don't mind paying if content is delivered. patch 1,5 brought content, i'm paying and contented. If it dries up I stop paying. Just pay tbh, the levelling experience is worth the money either way
    Careful. That's a tall horse.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Deleted
    you get to play 1-50 for free, which is the best part of the game, you can buy stuff in small amounts - or sub and get everything for a fraction of the cost, its a good deal - considering that the leveling is the most fun, far superior to any other mmo, and the 5man dungeons are also a load of fun - raiding is more arcade like than any other mmo, still worth looking into but lacking behind the other big games

A little? their F2P model STINKS!

The game is more or less unplayable, its just a glorified trial, rather than an actual free to play conversion.

IMO if you can't make it in the game without shelling out, then the game aint really free. Were it in my hands I would had done these restrictions: 2 character slots per realm, can do only 7 dungeons and warzones per week, can't do raids, can't buy the social gear, and can't go to Illum. There, it allows you to enjoy most of the game, while still making subs worth taking due to the gearing up, progression, and overall unlimited activities per day.

But they crossed the line, then went back, pissed at the line, then crossed it again, gleefully laughing the whole way.

Restricting the UI, Reducing XP, only THREE dungeons and BGs per week, only 3 space missions per week (seriously, WHY restrict these? they don't give any loot, why on earth would they restrict them?) no bank, only 2 auctions per day (WTF?) and a list that just goes on and on and on and on.

Their F2P model is laughable at best.

Por que odiar si amar es mas dulce? (*^_^*)

The F2P model doesn't address any of the problems that caused the subscription drops in the first place- unless of course your money was the issue and you needed to tighten the wallet.

If you quit for any other reason than financial reasons, you'll find nothing has changed, except you may have a bunch of coins for vanity items. And a bastardized version of HK-47.

I was sorely tempted to rejoin my SWTOR characters if the game went F2P, but after having seen exactly how draconian their F2P policies are (via word of mouth from friends and a few online reviews), there's absolutely no way I'll waste my time or bandwidth redownloading it. I got a paltry handful of Cartel Coins for being a former subscriber, but they don't even come close to making up for what they've stripped out of the F2P version. Just plain awful. But surely this makes people want to subscribe? Probably not. If they're going to screw up something as relatively simple--tried and true--as a standard F2P model (that even Age of Conan is currently having mild success with), I'm no longer willing to give them the benefit of the doubt with a subscription fee. I'll most likely happily play their singleplayer games in the future, no doubt, but I think they need to step out of the MMO arena.

I have mixed feelings on them nickle and diming ppl to death with cartel coin options. Sure it sucks to have to pay for so many different things, yet the core of the game even if it is reduced to almost nothing is free. Complaining that something that is free isn't good enough is a pretty ridiculous. The main issue I have is they made a big deal about f2p when it is really still a sub game that you can play a large demo of for free. Either I am giving gamers too much credit or BW isn't giving them enough thinking they can smoke and mirrors ppl into being happy with the current state of things.

---------- Post added 2012-11-17 at 05:21 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by alexday14 View Post
    I almost regret making this thread- The more posts I read the more negative things I discover about F2P and the less I want to return to it.
    You should always check it out for yourself if you are interested in it. Forum posters are often sitting at one extreme or another so you get the zealot posters that will defend the game like it gave birth to them and the rest of humanity then you have the other that will attack everything about the game and any support for it.

The hardest part of SWTOR atm is the toxic nature of all the ppl that just came back to see f2p and are flipping out that they weren't given the keys to the castle. It is much like the first few months of the game where it was constant this game sucks bashing in reference to SWTOR itself or the games ppl just bitterly quit to play SWTOR.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by NoiseTank13 View Post
    The F2P model doesn't address any of the problems that caused the subscription drops in the first place- unless of course your money was the issue and you needed to tighten the wallet.

If you quit for any other reason than financial reasons, you'll find nothing has changed, except you may have a bunch of coins for vanity items. And a bastardized version of HK-47.
    I would like to point out something very interesting here. Derah has a very good point. If you look back though everything that has happened to this game one blazing point stands out. Bioware has taken a stance that no matter what they do, they are right. They have ignored the basic rules of creating a MMO, and have have taken it to an extreme the likes of which i have never seen. My primary field of work is Video Game Design and Development and though all my experience I have never seen a company make such a horrible series of mistakes and bad decisions before. And out of all these the worst that stands out is the sheer fact that they did not even try to make a good game, they jsut expected the Star Wars name to carry the game. They released the initial game with no end game content. They tried to force player focus to be on leveling alts, experiencing the story line, and PvP. Most of the Flashpoints were boring and the Raids where childish. Now don't get me wrong this game has great potential still, but if it has any chance to make a comeback it's going to have to go through what FFXIV is going though which is a total redesign.

Overall the development team at Bioware has just last sight of the goal, which with any MMO is not just to make a lot of money off a popular name like Star Wars but to provide a creation to the fans that can stand by and be proud of to call your creation. As Bioware is a company that primary produces single player game like Mass Effect this is the first time they have had to deal with a game such as this and they really need to start asking for help from veteran in the field before they run the game into the ground so far they can't bring it back.

Well I have said my piece.

f2p would be doable if swtor had world pvp. in its current state they will only lose more people

Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    I think the model has some pretty serious flaws, especially in the "too far" department. I mean, come on, you have to pay for action bars. GODDAMN ACTION BARS
    like I said two days ago on the fleet... I would offer my two additional action bars to f2p people as I don't need 6 actionbars. However for new players, it might not be such a big thing?!

However 3 actionbars, not 2, should have been the minimum in my point of view.

Honestly you can unlock all bars for 9.99 permanently.

People keep making all these big deal like you have to subscribe the game forever in order to keep 6 bars (which is not true).

For one time payment of 9.99 you get pretty much the full single player experience of SWTOR permanently, is that really such a bad deal?

Give it 6 more months and they'll pay you to play at this rate.

I am downloading the game currently (30GB!!!), but I think they have some flaws in their design. You should have limitations on Free players, but the restricted features must be offered for a reasonable price. $10 for all action bars seems okay, but if it is just for ONE character, then that is overkill and will definitely leave a sour taste in my mouth. Similarly, limiting character slots is okay, but additional slots must be available for purchase.

Also, raids or BGs or quest packs etc should be limited, but there should be a permanent unlock available for them. It can have a good cost, but allowing only weekly passes seems like a strange option to me.

I guess I will find it out soon enough. I was hoping to play LOTR Online as well, but that game's tech problems are giving me a bad headache. I hope SWTOR lives up to my expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by Semihage View Post
    Honestly you can unlock all bars for 9.99 permanently.

People keep making all these big deal like you have to subscribe the game forever in order to keep 6 bars (which is not true).

For one time payment of 9.99 you get pretty much the full single player experience of SWTOR permanently, is that really such a bad deal?
    When you complain about a game (insert whatever one you want WOW - Adventures in pandaland, SWTOR, etc) its kind of hypocritical to keep handing them money for it. Its awesome reading the WOW forums about people complaining about the game, saying it sucks, etc and keep on paying $15 a month to play.

Bioware stated the reason people were quitting was because of the $15 a month subscription fee. If people didn't think the game was worth $15 a month for the full version, what makes them think people are going to pay $10 to unlock UI bars?

Quote Originally Posted by chocobo606 View Post
    can you name any other games that are f2p and restrict xp and character slots? I can't remember any f2p game I've ever played, years ago or recently doing it. Most f2p games have a marketplace you spend money to buy fake currency for clothing and increasing an already large inventory, or gaining double xp, stuff like that. This is just an incredibly greedy f2p model and it's not going to work for them very well.
    Guild Wars 2 restricts character slots unless you buy 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by ariakul View Post
    When you complain about a game (insert whatever one you want WOW - Adventures in pandaland, SWTOR, etc) its kind of hypocritical to keep handing them money for it. Its awesome reading the WOW forums about people complaining about the game, saying it sucks, etc and keep on paying $15 a month to play.

Bioware stated the reason people were quitting was because of the $15 a month subscription fee. If people didn't think the game was worth $15 a month for the full version, what makes them think people are going to pay $10 to unlock UI bars?
    Umm because it's only 10 bucks one time fee? Or 15 bucks ONE TIME FEE to get 4 bars on all characters.

15 bucks paid once is a lot different from 15 bucks every month..
    Last edited by Semihage; 2012-11-18 at 05:27 PM.

Deleted
    Did BioWare really think it was the sub that caused people (like myself) to stop playing??

Have had a crack on my old account, as a "preferred" account. Nothing has changed, almost nothing that was wrong has been fixed, and the restrictions....my god the restrictions. Yes, I understand a free player shouldn't have access to everything a subbed player does, but surely things like FP and WZ queues are hurting your subbed players, as most people playing (I'd assume) are now F2P accounts and once they've used their limit are out??

Sadly, all I can see is, TOR is dead and buried