Page 4 of 36 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    They have proven time and time again that they have absolutely NO idea what they are doing. However, to answer your question, this free to play style of SW:tOR is perfect for people like my little brother. He has no real interest in ever achieving maximum level. Instead, he would just like to log on and feel like a badass. Sure the restrictions will limit him; however, he gets a lot of what he wants out of the game.

This game has been disappointing from the start, why not continue down the path? There really is no recovering from what they did (or didn't do) to the game. We have seen a lot of MMOs completely flop over the years, none harder than SW:tOR in my opinion.

10+ Year Old Account
    lets not forget restricting customer support, i understand wanting preference to those who pay but restricting a f2p person or previous sub from report a bug of give any sort of feedback, really?
    Quote Originally Posted by ohshift View Post
    Mess with someone's head enough, you can turn a scared little kid into an all powerful bitch.
    only two things are infinite the universe, and human stupidity,
    and i'm not too sure about the universe -Albert Einstein

They took it entirely too far. I don't mind not having quite as much as people who are subbed. That makes sense. It's understandable since they're paying and I'm not. But I draw the line at not even being able to hide my fucking helm without being subbed. It's fucking ridiculous.

I literally just logged on to see how it was, and I had heard something about the action bars. I was thinking, whatever a couple action bars gone, I don't mind. But you can't even see your COMPANION BAR. It's ridiculous. You get the bottom one and that's it.
    It's just... it's completely fucking insane.

And it's all because EA is fucking money-hungry.

./anger
    There are good people in every corner of the planet. Unfortunately, the Earth is round.

So...apparently you're locked out of some quest rewards unless you subscribe? Had that happen to me a few times so far leveling my consular. Granted, the locked rewards are just chests of credits but still...does not make me feel good.

Quote Originally Posted by hk-51 View Post
    There are industry standards.
    Then the industry must not agree with you, as many F2P games lock content behind subscriptions/cash shops. That's not to say that I agree with it, and SWTOR definitely goes too far with restricting things such as the number of action bars and the ability to hide your head piece.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xerra View Post
    Really if they wanted to make things better in say dungeons they should of made it so you can do as many as you want but can roll only on like 4 items a week no promise you will even get them. At least it lets people farm dungeons and hence make a smooth moving queue.
    actually it seems that they already do this for fp's, you are allowed 3 ROLLS on loot (though i tested this and it apparently only counts wins) but you can do as many fp's as you want. that's something at least, if only it gave me a reasonable amount of xp (even with 2 fp xp boosts from legacy)

oh and that's another thing, you can not send credits over mail unless you are a sub. So let's use me as an example, i have a 44 marauder and i was wanting to work on my operative, in order to make things less painful i was going to send him a few k's so i could get legacy xp boosts, but wait! I'm not allowed to send credits! so my 17 op is not allowed to get the credits he needs so that he can level with less pain.
    Mess with someone's head enough, you can turn a scared little kid into an all powerful bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by StationaryHawk View Post
    Then the industry must not agree with you, as many F2P games lock content behind subscriptions/cash shops. That's not to say that I agree with it, and SWTOR definitely goes too far with restricting things such as the number of action bars and the ability to hide your head piece.
    The games that lock content tend to offer the ability to gain secondary currency in game. Which swtor doesn't.
    The games that don't lock content are the ones that don't allow you to acquire secondary currency in game. But they tend to sell things like under wear and hair cuts.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hk-51 View Post
    The games that lock content tend to offer the ability to gain secondary currency in game. Which swtor doesn't.
    The games that don't lock content are the ones that don't allow you to acquire secondary currency in game. But they tend to sell things like under wear and hair cuts.
    or at least they offer a separate way to get said currency, such as through daily quests you can get a very small amount of this currency so that it may be easier to pay for the cash shop but it is not necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by ranku View Post
    or at least they offer a separate way to get said currency, such as through daily quests you can get a very small amount of this currency so that it may be easier to pay for the cash shop but it is not necessary.
    That's the first type of game I was talking about. Those tend to lock content while offering you a way to get access without paying (lotro for example)

The second type is something like vindictus, league of legends, ect. Its a little more common. They have cash shops full of cosmetics, minor boosts, random crap (skinslol).

Swtor is having issues. First, they don't let you access end game with a f2p account. Their passes don't unlock HM/NMM ops or ranked wzs. That immediately invalidates it as a "model" and downgrades it to a "trial". Now, I don't have as much of a rabid hatred of the action bars, but it marks something very wrong about their cash shop. They are missing a lot of cosmetics. Armor dyes, unlock hair cuts, character remake, ect. If they had more in their shop they wouldn't need to charge for hide helm. There's countless things they could do but have not done yet. Which is why they have the crap they do. Its lazy, confused, and lacking.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Deleted
    They were also really really shit responding to the community with the jedi hood problem. I know it sounds silly to some reading this but remember SWTOR is a story game and it SUCKS to have your JK covered in a hood for 80% of the story unable to see your char's hair. (hide head slot option did not work for hoods as the hood is part of the chest armor).

For those that dont know here is the story:

>Before f2p there wasnt a single, thats right not one jedi robe available to the jedi guardian class that didnt have its hood down.
    >JK players have had a huge thread on the JK official forums that has been present since launch pleading to have a robe implemented or a hood toggle option despite every promo video or class progression vid showing the JK hoodless.
    >Not only did BW ignore this but they strung along players saying the feature would make it into the game in 1.3 (if i remember rightly). It did not happen.
    >I've now been lead to believe to further piss off every JK out there there is now one available in the cartel box that costs real mone to buy and is RANDOM if you get it or not.
    > So basically instead of pleasing players they decided to lie and stall until they could make money off desperate players.
    Last edited by mmoc79cd15b503; 2012-11-19 at 01:27 AM.

I really feel the effects of the change and the PvP. I'm not sure if alot of people decided to go F2P or what, but I see pretty much the same names in WZ's all the time. Pretty boring.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitobunny View Post
    Those are actually pretty normal f2p restrictions to be honest. I think I read something about having to buy UI elements like more action/tool bars....THAT is a little too far imo.
    Yeah, it's true. You gotta PAY for a second/third/fourth actionbar which is just REALLY, like REALLY! ridiculous. Also, wouldn't lowering the experience gain for F2P desync the quests? I mean, it means that people have to start farming mobs in order to keep up.

I think they should've layed off of the UI restrictions and perhaps up the character slots to 4 instead of only 2.

I also heard there is a cap on being able to play wargames? That's also really stupid.

Deleted
    It seems they want to lure player into subscription instead of generating money via shop. That`s why they`ll fail.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitobunny View Post
    Those are actually pretty normal f2p restrictions to be honest. I think I read something about having to buy UI elements like more action/tool bars....THAT is a little too far imo.
    GW2 and TF2 are both F2P and they don't restrict your gameplay at all. World of Warcraft's starter edition is free as well, and they don't limit how many Battlegrounds or Dungeons you can do.

I was pumped to play, then I read the restrictions and said nvm.. not worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by alexday14 View Post
    I know they're giving us a game for free now (apart from buying the initial game in the first place, I don't know if the 'F2P' extends to the actual game itself now) and they're well within their rights to tell us what we can and can't do now we're not paying them anything..

But restricting your exp gain? Only two character slots? Isn't that a bit harsh? I don't know what this means for others of you that are playing F2P SWtOR, but the idea that there are certain things that I'll have to pay for to properly enjoy the game pisses me off a little bit.. To the point that i'd rather just wait until christmas and play Guild Wars 2.

What do you guys think?
    They need to justify hosting the game on servers, so ultimately it's always going to be a more attractive option to actually sub to the game and then buy the cash shop extras. F2P is designed for that guy who logs on once a week to do a few quests or WZs and eventually gets to level 50.

It's really disappointing, but it's not like EA is good at making important decisions with their games. SWTOR was a failure from day one, and it hasn't proven otherwise in the last year.

The xp thing, and char slots are harsh but OK, the dealbreaker is limiting the UI for f2p players. That's what's so pathetically retarded about it

They should have taken the Gw2 route in terms of the f2p model in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by chocobo606 View Post
    can you name any other games that are f2p and restrict xp and character slots? I can't remember any f2p game I've ever played, years ago or recently doing it. Most f2p games have a marketplace you spend money to buy fake currency for clothing and increasing an already large inventory, or gaining double xp, stuff like that. This is just an incredibly greedy f2p model and it's not going to work for them very well.
    LOTRO, DDO, STO, CO, all restrict the number of characters you can make to less then then the paid sub offers. I don't know of any free MMO that restricts XP earned.

Quote Originally Posted by Broloth View Post
    GW2 and TF2 are both F2P and they don't restrict your gameplay at all. World of Warcraft's starter edition is free as well, and they don't limit how many Battlegrounds or Dungeons you can do.
    Guild Wars 2 isn't free to play, TF2 is an entirely different animal, and WoW's free trail is infinitely more limiting than SWTOR.

GW2 is buy to play and has been developed around that business model from the start. If BW wanted to move in that direction, they could, but they decided to remove the initial barrier for entry, that's their decision. Comparing what GW2 and SWTOR deliver isn't a good move since the two use different business models.

TF2...I don't see how you can draw any comparison here beyond the fact that neither cost any money to play. The games are so vastly different it's like trying to compare a squirrel to a whale simply because they're both mammals. Doesn't really work.

As for WoW's free trail...it limits you to level 20. SWTOR delivers the full leveling experience (content-wise) and access to far more of the game than WoW's trial does.

I'm not defending BW's model here, I hate it. But these aren't really good comparisons if you're trying to highlight how poor it is.