Poll: What did you think of the Lost Shores event?

Page 1 of 8
... LastLast
    Deleted

What do you think of Lost Shores Weekend Event?

Simple question, with a poll. I think it was buggy as hell and if they make these one time events they should first check that they're not bugged in key parts. If it was an event available for more time, sure, the bug would get fixed once, but like this... bugs kind of stopped you from going forward with the chain, had problems in P2 because of disappearing kraka and being one of the last servers to actually get to fight etc. I don't know, I found it a bit disappointing.
    Even if there's another phase tomorrow, after both previous phases were bugged... I don't think this last one will be any better.
    As I said before, ArenaNet are good at many things... but not these one time events.

We're only talking about event here, the island is ok, went there, I like how it looks. Since I'm not 80 for good, the mobs are too hard for me so didn't sit long, but that's another thing.

Edit: Ok, just did the last part. I'm glad to say I was wrong. The third part was great. I really liked it. It felt ok, had some nice rewards, no lag, and the only thing I disliked about it was that there could have been 1 less reinforcements part (so from 2 to 1) but besides that it was great
    Last edited by mmoc994dcc48c2; 2012-11-19 at 12:54 AM.

For me, Noll won't spawn and the event at noon today never happen on the overflow server I was on. So I'm going to have to rate this as bad. They need to just stop one time events since they have proven twice now they can't handle them.

The Fractals are great (some of the best 5-man dungeons I've ever played in any MMO), the island is nice and the bugged out event chains before the island opened up sucked. I'll say it's OK. Definitely worth my time.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Clymene View Post
    For me, Noll won't spawn and the event at noon today never happen on the overflow server I was on. So I'm going to have to rate this as bad. They need to just stop one time events since they have proven twice now they can't handle them.
    Same. Noll first wasn't there at all. Then, after they gave the mini-patch he was there, but wouldn't do anything. After that, now with P2 he's gone again...

As for event, the P1 went ok, though a bit laggy, but P2 was horrible. I was on an overflow and stood 45 min for the catapult to be built, then we were only a few left, we fought some veteran krakas, then getting to half of the bar they all left and the big one came. So we went to it, I didn't even manage to hit it, I was first there, and it just jumped away... That sucked horrible, I just feel like I've wasted my time with this honestly.

I mean no offense, but GW2 also had the trial thing, if that's what people saw, a game more filled with bugs then some betas, I don't think they'll convince many to buy.

Epic. The lag doesn't bother me, the bugged events are going to happen with people spamming the npc (fixes inc, woo!). The Fractals are amazing and the island was really fun, though a little short-lived. Just completed the jumping puzzles too, which were awesome fun.

10+ Year Old Account
    I loved the event, no bugs yet O: loved the new area so far

The events are pretty cool, it's just a shame the bugs have spoiled them a little.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have loved it so far! The lag didn’t bug me, and I absolutely adored wandering around the new zone, it’s beautiful.

Pretty boring.

Same old stuff; stand in a zerg, auto attack. More collection / gussied up dailies for trivial & inconsequential items. Cash shop encouraged throughout the event.

The game is unbelievably shallow compared to Guild Wars 1. I've probably logged... 3-4 hours total over the past month and a half.

This maybe a dumb question but where do I start the event right now?

They send you mails that show where the crabs are attacking in any particular zone. There is no "starting". Its just happening.

Ahh alright thanks, I've been doing the events on the island but I thought there would have been more to it, is there a third part to all of this tomorrow?

The fractals dungeon is perhaps the best dungeon experience I've had, period. The sheer concept of a variable dungeon is one I would love to see greatly encouraged.

As for the new zone, eh it was pretty cool overall. I was in an overflow that took some time to get started. People started whining when it was 1 minute late and kept moaning louder as time went on, but the event came, we killed some baddies, and moved on to the new zone. It was ok. The zone itself is pretty and the mobs are challenging. Zerging of course happens, but these mobs roll over people and kill mindless zergers by the dozens. That alone is worth it.

I haven't yet had time to finish all the pre zone events, so i can't rate their buggyness.

Alright then, thanks for the info, it's much appreciated

15+ Year Old Account
    They seem to bite off more than they can chew with every event it seems. My view is focussing on the outdoor side of events.

At first the way the entire one-time only chain is a thing which is attracting many people and when they are funnelled into one place while the technological layer is unable to handle that kind of demand then it is a recipe of frustration and zero immersion.

Secondly they know their event scripts are prone to failure especially in crowded situations which hints an underlying lack of robustness within their event layer. The same issues plaguing current events are also plaguing crucial events during these lead-up events which in addition to being one-time only means that anyone who is not as patient is going to get much more frustrated than if they could come back in a week when it may have been fixed.

Thirdly their entire design flow is done with singleplayer gameplay in mind which can be easily noticed with their events being sequenced, their NPCs only being able to deal with one player at a time which becomes an even greater issue if they have lengthy lines of dialog and ends with mob-tagging whether characters may one shot the event NPC leaving the other 49/50 to wait up to 5 mins. again.

Fourthly the encounters so far still felt like zerg-this-zerg-that rewarding random brute force 'tactics' without any chance of failure. There is simply no need to play with combos there with so many players group-soloing side by side ignoring eachother aside from resurrecting eachother occasionally. It's much easier to sit back on your mortar and keep all buttons on cooldown for maximum profit.

In my opinion and developer POV it is simple on the technical side. They need to make feasibility studies for each undertaking they are planning for each step of content. If they cannot address the issues which are plaguing the features which their new content is revolving around in time then they should defer these features. Everything needs to be tested more thoroughly. The excuse they didn't expect to see thing working out like this on a larger scale is an embarrassing one when there's technologies which allow virtual scaling of stress-tests. This bruteforcing ambitions into the game needs to take a backseat in favour of working structures.

I really feel sorry for the art team which put so much efforts into all aspects of the artistic design only to see it completely wasted as their fruits of labor were buried beyond a layer of bugs, glitches and a giant zerg which doesn't care and which couldn't even if they wanted to.

All in all it left a bit of bitter taste and I really hope this is the turning point for them. Going by the forums I have never seen that much of negativity there, neither post-launch and neither during the Halloween event which even with the issues had plenty of things to offer.

That said I haven't done any fractal dungeon yet which may be their partial redemption.
    Last edited by Ravenblade; 2012-11-18 at 01:05 AM.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!

Frankly the lost shores itself is an abandoned rock covered in bugs. (the animal kind not the glitch kind but that too apparently) I'm not too impressed by it as there's not much to do there. It's nice to go see it, but that's about it. Nothing new there. I'm pretty impressed by fractals though. I was thinking just another dungeon but this thing is huge. Very pleased with that one.

Sorry but one-time events have proven to be a severe disappointment. I invited friends this weekend and they have found a buggy, lagged game with special events you don’t get to play.
    We don’t get to play much having two young children (under-3) so to have a night wasted is extremely upsetting. Reading about what you planned to have happen does not make up for having missed out on a “one time” experience we were actually trying to participate in
    I found this gem on the official boards, and even though I wasn't here for today's, I kind of have to agree.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Pretty boring.

Same old stuff; stand in a zerg, auto attack. More collection / gussied up dailies for trivial & inconsequential items. Cash shop encouraged throughout the event.

The game is unbelievably shallow compared to Guild Wars 1.
    I'm starting to agree. I find myself logging on less and less. I've only been playing enough each day to get the daily done and that's about it.

Can say go to another mmo but I can't even get myself to play those for longer than 20 minutes before getting tired of it. I think I'm just tired of mmos in general.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    I'm starting to agree. I find myself logging on less and less. I've only been playing enough each day to get the daily done and that's about it.

Can say go to another mmo but I can't even get myself to play those for longer than 20 minutes before getting tired of it. I think I'm just tired of mmos in general.
    Heh, wasn't it the goal to be the most casual MMO?

I am usually logging in in the evening for daily or to level alts. Not sure whether I am all okay with the new gear tier. Also it probably depends on what genre of MMO you are playing. MMORPG-wise it is not hard to get bored because it is the most common genre after all iirc. It seems moving forward is really hard in this genre. It's not just companies being conservative, players are as well, especially MMORPG players.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!