Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    The Lightbringer Kevyne-Shandris's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kane49 View Post
    Either your way over 50, from some random backwards place or delusional.
    Neither.

But I was raised in a family and locale that is stricter than San Francisco, that's for sure -- http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headline...san-francisco/ -- even by lose standards in this day and age, that's a tad extreme even for San Franciscans.
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes. They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."
    Blizzard's blame game in action: Deleting 6,100+ of Kevyne's posts and threads from the WoW forums.

I would honestly give him his own account. If you two can play together it's a great idea.

Back when is was around 12 or 13, I showed my dad WoW and he really liked it. He ended up getting his own account and actually progressed further that I did at first. It may sound cheesy, but I think it really strengthened our father-son bond. After playing 5 almost 6 years together we still really enjoy it.

I'm not sure what my relationship with my dad would be if we weren't able to spend time together and play WoW and I'm really happy to have had the chance to play with him. Most of my friends that I played WoW with back than thought my dad was badass for playing video games with me so that was a plus too.

Quote Originally Posted by Phookah View Post
    You play with 13 year olds everyday in WoW, if you do any kind of random grouping activity.
    OT: I'd say so, just make sure he understands what he's doing to a certain extent, don't need any more "What does this button do?" level 90's.
    There was a thread were someone asked how old we are and we find out that most of WoW players are around 25 years old, but we also know that most of players own 13 years old kid brains !!! So, if u ask me, then yes, made him hes own account.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheckameohs View Post
    I've been playing WoW for a good six years now, and since day one my oldest son has watched me play. When he was younger, I used to sit him on my lap while my guild and I raided, and recently I began allowing him to play on my account here and there. Since he's turning 13 next week though, would you say it would be a good idea for me to go ahead and finally buy him his own account?
    I wouldn't do it, speaking as a parent also.
    I have a twin of 12 and they watch me play also and sometimes they enjoy riding and flying on my mounts; they have a lot of fun doing that.

But buying them an account? I would say no.

Not because of chat... but more because I think, personally, 13 is too young to engage in an MMO.
    It is quite intensive and demands quite some time to be put in.
    At 13, my personal believe is that kids aren't able yet to have good time management and aren't good at prioritizing things.
    It could be that they will put in too much time into wow, at expense of other important things, like school for example.

Now, I know not all children are alike and probably you are one of the two best persons to decide wether wow is a good thing for your kids or not.
    You know what it brought you and maybe, maybe, what it prevented in your live. You know your kids better than anybody on this forum, so pls discuss this with your spouce and take into consideration what consequenses wow had for you.

When it comes to kids: preventing is better than correcting.

Im a gamer and my 6 month old son will grow up to be one too!, you should check out his mad skills on my keyboard....well when i say skills i mean being fixated on the neon lights while bashing it and dribbling all over the keys....its a start in fact i even do that myself still while getting over excited with certain games

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerfiend View Post
    If, I ended up playing an MMO again. I'd make my child farm for me. That would be his only job. I'd say MOOCH! If you want to play, then make sure I don't have to do dailies anymore.

And all your gold are belong to me.

This.....was how my lot started

"Daddy needs ore, let me show you what you have to do, it's fun ... honest"

I certainly wouldn't want my child to play this game, I remember as a kid getting hooked on gamins playing shit on the amstrad, this game is going to be even worse. I would hope I quit wow by the time my kids are old enough to want to play.

I've been playing WoW for a good six years now, and since day one my oldest son has watched me play. When he was younger, I used to sit him on my lap while my guild and I raided, and recently I began allowing him to play on my account here and there. Since he's turning 13 next week though, would you say it would be a good idea for me to go ahead and finally buy him his own account?
    Im also long time player and haveing some experience with kids and wow, I am guardian and responsible for a 15 year old boy that I allowed play at my account at age of 5.
    My advice is that u can nicely let them play any game that are in their range of understanding, but personal I find wow a bit to mutch time consumeing in the age your son is inn, restricted game time is needed since they dont balance irl/game time verry well in that age.
    I would recomend u to let him try several different game types free to play in a limited time to see what type of game he most enjoy befoure takeing a desition.
    They attend to shift fast betwene games in that age, and to have games without any monthly sub would be highly recomended due to this switching of games. I would recomend gw2 for him cause its easy for them to combine Irl stuff and playtime, wow is to mutch obligation, also there is another game out there that boys in his age are verry verry good at this days and that is Smite also easy to combine with Irl.
    Most important is to have them beside u when they play, a sentral place where u and him can sit and play, not the same games if nessesary but where u can have an influence in behaveior and he can get companied by u if its things he wonder.
    PS! they learn extremely fast in that age and will outrank your skills verry fast *wink*

Quote Originally Posted by Telila View Post
    This.....was how my lot started

"Daddy needs ore, let me show you what you have to do, it's fun ... honest"
    Child labor is back, sweatshop 2.0.

Or well, its actually a way of buying gold by having an active sub.

I agree with Tahsou: the sub is a burden to the youth or their parents, and makes it a strange gift due to its upkeep. There are plenty non-grindy MMOs out there which are much more casual-friendly. Such as GW2.
    "When i am done with you, you won't trust your own mind."

Buy him an account and play with him. It will give you a unique opportunity to spend some quality time with your child. Consider it an option that most other parents, who care for their children, would kill to have.

Quote Originally Posted by Tekkommo View Post
    It's fine.

People will say 13 is too young and they will be exposed to bad language yadda yadda, but you get all of that at school and in real life etc.
    It's funny how people get about bad language with kids. By the time I was 8 I knew all the swear words I know now. That's what you get at public school.

I'd buy him his own account but I'd moderate his time in some way; either "you can play it 'X' hours a day" or "you can play after you've done your homework" or a combination of those. Turn it into a treat.
    Last edited by TobiasX; 2012-11-19 at 08:38 AM.

Doomhammer EU

I say go for it, and teach him how to deal with the asshattery that goes on in WoW on a daily basis. Too often do parents shelter their kids from everything that could cause even a slight booboo, and I honestly think we're raising a generation of wimps because of it. Don't shelter him from it; let him experience it and teach him the correct ways to deal with it (i.e. teach him not to let what people say get to him). That's what I would do if it were my kid.

Bloodsail Admiral
    Give it to him as a birthday gift.
    "If you are going to do something, including being an alcoholic, don't half-ass it. /Cheers." - Vezrah, 2012

I wouldn't. I would buy him books instead. Give him a different path. Your child could do so much better without WoW in my opinion. At least I know I would of.

I deeply regret that I didn't listen to my father when he kept telling me to stop playing the warcraft franchise. All those years I consider wasted because i could have been doing so much better in school (high school and college). WoW doesn't teach you responsibility. The whole "take things into moderation" isn't really much of an argument.

People may berate me for saying all this but it's what you decide in the end. Just know that whatever you do from that point on, your actions will have consequences, good or bad depending on what you make your child do.

Quote Originally Posted by TidesOfBlood View Post
    I wouldn't. I would buy him books instead. Give him a different path. Your child could do so much better without WoW in my opinion. At least I know I would of.

I deeply regret that I didn't listen to my father when he kept telling me to stop playing the warcraft franchise. All those years I consider wasted because i could have been doing so much better in school (high school and college). WoW doesn't teach you responsibility. The whole "take things into moderation" isn't really much of an argument.

People may berate me for saying all this but it's what you decide in the end. Just know that whatever you do from that point on, your actions will have consequences, good or bad depending on what you make your child do.
    Books don't "teach you responsibility" either. They're just a pastime, like video games. Don't blame the game because you couldn't control your gaming. :/

Mechagnome
    I'd go for it. About bad things he might hear in chat - I am sure at age of 13 he already heard em all in school
    Quote Originally Posted by Slummish View Post
    I don't get it. I've gone AFK a million times to blow my bf so he'd get off my back and let me raid. What's the problem here? People have sex...
    Quote Originally Posted by Malkiah View Post
    "you need to understand that my computer and i have a relationship that was here before i met you, and will be here long after we break up. if i could have sex with the CD-rom drive, you would be irrelevant. just so we're clear on this"

my nephew used to come over our house after school and watch me play until his mom picked him up. he was in elementary school.

he started to show some interest, so i let him create a character on my account. this was WotLK.

my sister bought him the game and by the end of WotLK, he was raiding ICC with me in our guild and even downed the Lich King, lol.

by the time Cata hit, he started to lose interest. he doesn't even log now. im glad. got the WoW itch out of him early.

Quote Originally Posted by Moontalon View Post
    Books don't "teach you responsibility" either. They're just a pastime, like video games. Don't blame the game because you couldn't control your gaming. :/
    That said I'd suggest moderating your child's game time yourself to start with.

Doomhammer EU

Quote Originally Posted by TobiasX View Post
    That said I'd suggest moderating your child's game time yourself to start with.
    Well, yeah, I'm not saying to throw him to the wolves and see how it goes. lol