Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Terahertz View Post
    I tried out warrior with double axe (not sword/axe I believe) which was fun-ish to play, but my real problem with warrior is that everytime you charge to your opponent or use some sort of ability (only some of them, like 100 blades) you have to stand still. Which is a big deal for me because I enjoy being mobile if I have to.

BUT I will definately try out Warrior sword/axe double axe and see if there are traits that will focus a bit more on defens/CC.

Guardian I recently tried out because it was also recommended (note: I didn't try out ALL builds but I tried out a more DMG focused build) but I didnt really like it.

Mesmer I also havent tried out a lot but looking at their traits and abilities make me think they focus TOO much on illusions, but ill try that one out too.

Engineer turret build IDK. I've seen a vid about them before and like you said, they make great point holders but idk. Will try it out more thoroughly though.

I tried this build out already and liked it on the axe part, but i just dont like 100 blades that much because you have to stand still ya know.

I'll be trying professions out again. I've tried out engineer again but a different build which I like. Will try out mesmer and warrior again too.
    You should probably keep in mind that hundred blades is generally not useful unless you have quickness from either Frenzy, traits, or a Sigil of Rage.

Seriously, it's simply not worth using at all if it takes the full 4 seconds to channel.
    Playing Path of Exile and Guild Wars 2

I tried out warrior with double axe (not sword/axe I believe) which was fun-ish to play, but my real problem with warrior is that everytime you charge to your opponent or use some sort of ability (only some of them, like 100 blades) you have to stand still. Which is a big deal for me because I enjoy being mobile if I have to.

BUT I will definately try out Warrior sword/axe double axe and see if there are traits that will focus a bit more on defens/CC.

Guardian I recently tried out because it was also recommended (note: I didn't try out ALL builds but I tried out a more DMG focused build) but I didnt really like it.

Mesmer I also havent tried out a lot but looking at their traits and abilities make me think they focus TOO much on illusions, but ill try that one out too.

Engineer turret build IDK. I've seen a vid about them before and like you said, they make great point holders but idk. Will try it out more thoroughly though.
    Yeah, i hear ya. In SPvP-non tournament you can cookie cut on every profession and still get a lot of glory points in the fight and be at the top depending how you play it. And I hear you that you don't like so much -lose of control- abilities on the warrior, and that is agreeable. Hundred blades is great in PvE, but lacks that usefulness in PvP where ppl can dodge, break stuns and even anticipate your combo. Hundred blades with a haste boon is a mediocre build, and the worst part of it it's that you rely on only ONE ability and that ability locks you into the place.

I played a little and got an Thief surv/dmg build up, and as always, the problem is mobility. Thief is meant to be played as | get in-do all the sh** you can-bail out | and that is true, you get in, burn all your cds, maybe pick low health targets and back away. The good thing, though, is that he can back away from the fight while using stealth, so I NEVER had problems with dying too soon in combat ( you can always back away with stealth ) and you can always pick your fight, which is great about thieves.

I don't know why, but i love all professions. Find a way to play with them ( i never use GW2 sites to find builds, just use whatever suits my playstyle the best in the traits and with the weapon/rune/sigil combination ). When you find your build and playstyle with a particular profession, you'll love the hack of it!

So now we have Guardian, Necromancer, Rangers and Mesmer left.

Guardian doesn't seem to really have a DPS build besides only one I believe.

Mesmer is really confusing. Having tried out all weapons and looking at the traits I already know they don't really fit my playstyle...

ANY help would be appreciated.
    You're really misinformed - Guardian can build for dmg and dish out lots of pain, also with aviable tools Guardians can easilly build a great hybrid of CC/Dmg/Survivability. In a proper builds Guardians are both hard to take down and also hard to ignore. Definetly worth a try if you haven't yet - just read pvp section on guildwars2guru.com and you'll find there most common and viable builds for them.

Myself i'm playing a Mesmer and i should say that class is a lot of fun. It's a class that has most mind tricks ingame, very mobile with a wide array of tools fitting every situation. Mesmers are squishy, but properly played with proper skills setup are hard to take down between dazes/distortions (immunity)/stealth and great cleansing. In PvE it's not that good of a dps or durable character, but exels at buff destribution and can hold its own be it cleasing/control/dmg all in one build (confusion working poorly in pve is probably the only reason holding mesmers from being top tier dps).

Anyway just read some forums, becouse elementalists can build very tanky or supportive too and generally there're tons of viable builds in sPvP for all classes (well in top tier tournament play less builds are viable).

The Patient AnotherInternetOpinion's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Great game. Just didnt have the longevity for me. But again, great game.

Deleted
    Well, pvp still has some issues that needs to be fixed. Thieves must get done right sometime, they can pull off too high damage with no punishment. Other than that balance is ok, they got the rest of professions in a good place now.
    There are also other things needed, like a ladder, and some way to separate premades from pugs. Some way to progress endlessly, like these bronze leagues, silver leagues, gold leagues etc. I like it that there will be private servers so players can organize their own tournaments, and spectator mode inc and removed that forced red/blue colour that will come soon. However, if there's endless progress on equal terms through a ladder, and best way to have it separate... either you progress as solo when you pug or as a team when you premade. That would make people play forever.
    I have taken a break now, perhaps not completely volountary, but my friends and I are playing Planetside 2 and have a good time there now. I will hop in when december patch hit and see what they managed to get done.
    I wish they would hotfix big issues more often, like guardian block bug they waited until the big patch hit while some candycorn out in the world got a hotfix... that's just not right in priorities.
    I think last patch took a step in right direction, I hope december one give us at least same amount of fixes and new things added.

I've played alooot of Mesmer. It's really fun, but it's very hard to be good at it in PvP due to the "low dmg" if you don't know how to build your burst up. However I think they have the greatest tools when it comes too movement and well survival.

I've also played some elemental. I feel the profession has great potential. After have only played a few sPvP games, I already felt like I could do some great damage and survive pretty well.

I've also tried some necro, but I really didn't like the playstyle very much, even though I was sure I was gonna play one when the game released. They are really tanky with good survivability. Also, i've seen some necros that do crazy amounts of damage.

I've also tried out Thief, which I REALLY hate to play in PvE and I DISGUST them in PvP due to them being RIDICULOUSLY OP.
    I havent played in a while, but unless they buffed thief it was not at all overpowered *against a good player*

Thieves have a few quite potent builds, each with their own strengths and weaknesses.

Quickness/pistol whip build might qualify as overpowered, but its really not much different from thousand blades.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dennisdkramer View Post
    I havent played in a while, but unless they buffed thief it was not at all overpowered *against a good player*

Thieves have a few quite potent builds, each with their own strengths and weaknesses.

Quickness/pistol whip build might qualify as overpowered, but its really not much different from thousand blades.
    Well pistolwhip and heartseeker like it was before feels like a breeze compared to now. The worst is the cloak steal and backstab combo that still plows through pretty much anything. I feel happy when I see heartseeker pros spamming around, you can manage those but that backstab combo is painful especially since there's no reaction time unless you spot the thief first which will be hard in big battles. It's just too rewarding at low cost and that's why it needs to be dealth with. Many ways to do it, but it's taking way long to get it right for ANet... I would welcome more hotfixes while we wait for big patches, hotfixes that sort out things like these and former guardian blockbug. Much rather than hotfixing some candy corn out in the world which for some reason seems important and doable.

Deleted
    I'm quite sad I didn't play original Guild Wars during it's prime time, I have only played it for around one and a half year. I logged back in to it and it wasn't many people online.

I'm also pretty sad with the sudden turn ArenaNet took with Guild Wars 2 by adding a new gear tier and putting them in the fractals. I have started to log in less and less after the Lost Shores patch.

Its always hard to "see" people in GW1 due to most of the game being instanced. Towns/camps are the only social areas. Not a lot of reason to ever hang out in towns in Guild Wars 1 either. Well, unless you are selling mini pets.

There are still folks and whole guilds playing GW1, however. But they tend to be insular/hanging out in their guild halls or doing private missions. That's the other thing about Guild Wars 1-- virtually the entire game can be solo'd. Even hard modes. Pure skill based game.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    virtually the entire game can be solo'd. Even hard modes. Pure skill based game.
    True that, though I still find it very, very hard to solo Underworld with Heroes only.

I can't say I'm super skilled either in that matter...

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post
    Well pistolwhip and heartseeker like it was before feels like a breeze compared to now. The worst is the cloak steal and backstab combo that still plows through pretty much anything. I feel happy when I see heartseeker pros spamming around, you can manage those but that backstab combo is painful especially since there's no reaction time unless you spot the thief first which will be hard in big battles. It's just too rewarding at low cost and that's why it needs to be dealth with. Many ways to do it, but it's taking way long to get it right for ANet... I would welcome more hotfixes while we wait for big patches, hotfixes that sort out things like these and former guardian blockbug. Much rather than hotfixing some candy corn out in the world which for some reason seems important and doable.
    The biggest problem with the stealth/back stab thieves is the culling and the time it takes for the Thief to redraw after stealth. They can literally run around you and auto attack a number of time before the show up on screen. This is why the seem to have permanent stealth. Maybe they need to put a cooldown on stealth or backstab until they can get the culling and redraw issues worked out, because without these issues BS Thieves are pretty easy to deal with.

I started with a warrior and play now my guardian as main. I am also quite content pvp and pve wise. I play a 0/10/30/30/0 build with gs and scepter/shield. Dmg is of course not the highest possible, but with ~5 stacks might in average, 80% critical dmg and 40% crit chance I can't say that I do little dmg besides having a really great survivability.

I wrote that since you described your character of choice somewhat like I'd do. And I am really happy, playing my longbow warrior as second and if I feel like it I lvl my thief or mesmer.

Don't look at a class for a few hours via SPvP and think that you have now understood every trait combination of this class. You most certainly have not and probably need to put more time into it. Or look for another game.

---------- Post added 2012-11-26 at 02:04 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Klavier Gavin View Post
    I'm quite sad I didn't play original Guild Wars during it's prime time, I have only played it for around one and a half year. I logged back in to it and it wasn't many people online.

I'm also pretty sad with the sudden turn ArenaNet took with Guild Wars 2 by adding a new gear tier and putting them in the fractals. I have started to log in less and less after the Lost Shores patch.
    I don't like that either. Better back slots were kinda necessary but not a whole new gear tier which will eventually come.

10+ Year Old Account
    I too seem to have this problem with the classes. I think it has something to do with the combat mechanics and I could very well be in the same boat that the game may not be for me. But I still feel it was worth the $60 and the little off and on I play Im sure Ive got my moneys worth. Oh well.

Deleted
    OP:

Go Engineer with Toolkit, Supply Crate, Shield and Pistol, you get a ton of utility, you get a knock back, cripple (tool kit), you get 3 blocks (2 shield, +1 tool kit) you get extra heals and dmg utility from supply crate, a blind from pistol along with poision.

Trait into Firearms and Tools the rest can be placed as you feel fit.

But if you seems based on your points that you will be best suited to a guardian. I started leveling my guardian a few days ago and never went back to my engineer, needless to say in WvW if you use the right gear, you are a mobile redoubt.

Deleted
    I can more than recomend mesmer. Pure love when you got the hang of it.

/Osicat

I have just stopped playing GW2 for a bit. I need a break! I got really into and I just got overwhelmed! I love the game though, it is a lot of fun and its a lot different then some other games I have played!

Deleted
    I find the story a bit boring and don't want to roll alts but I'm likeling the crafting WvW and Fractals dungeons so yeah some I like more than others. There's alot to do.

I play a thief which isnt built around burst but on sustained dmg and elusiveness and distractions. I can kill most players or at least F with them to the point of them needing backup in which case ill use one of my many stealths to hide until backup leaves.

The classes i have trouble with in 1v1 situations is ele's who have a dagger and use the lightning sheild effect on CD, and since i dont have a good dps ranged weapon meleeing them is basically a no win situation for me as ill be stunned if i attack them, i usually stealth and wait for the buff to go away.

Another build is a ranger using traps and i believe melee weapons. That build i have only seen once and not many ppl run it.

And the other was a guardian. I can handle most guardian bunkers but this one had enough offensive firepower to make it a challenge. If i didnt steal his might stacks off him or use my boon removing skill on him (most of the time it misses due to him moving or poor positioning on my part) then he could stun me and get of some good burst.

Thiefs arent all about burst. My thief is about multiple stealths (steal, 25% hp blinding powder, Heal, Blinding powder) as well as making use of thief trap to spawn 2 thiefs as well as the thief elite skill to get 2 more out.

Shortbow to get away (works well when ur stealthed) And useing my surroundings to hide myself. Also shadowstep for breaking stuns/fears etc. Also boon removing skill acts as an evade so if someone immobilizes me and tries to use a burst combo i can use it to evade all the damage. (mesmers and warriors im looking at you)