Page 1 of 3
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #1
    The Patient Principe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    281

    Mages really need to be fixed, getting out of hand.

    See title.

    Watching the pressure ven is able to put on those matches is just ridiculous.

  2. #2
    Moderator Yvaelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    5,161
    They're getting nerfed in 5.1, whether it's going to be big enough nerfs to actually change their effective performance remains to be seen. I suspect the top mages will be about as strong as they are now though (they'll just have slightly longer cooldowns on a couple things), the result if anything of nerfing some of their CC cooldowns like Circle of Frost will be that Frost Mages will spend more time DPS'ing - their damage will rise while their CC falls - and the effective pressure of good mages will probably stay just about the same as it is now.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

  3. #3
    All the overpowered classes right now are getting toned down, including mages, but their nerfs seem comparatively less than the other classes, so if anything they'll just be stronger in 5.1.

  4. #4
    Frost bomb is the biggest cause of their overpoweredness right now from what i can tell.
    that needs a nerf first of all.

  5. #5
    Bloodsail Admiral Rickmagnus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    The darkest corner with the best view.
    Posts
    1,039
    Well at least they got rid of that pyro CD. I can do with anything else other than that. My mage is my main, but my Warrior is my pvp char, and even with Avatar up catching and actually killing a skilled mage is a headache...not looking forward to what it'll be like when Avatar gets nerfed though...
    "I don't believe in an afterlife, so I don't have to spend my whole life fearing hell, or fearing heaven even more. For whatever the tortures of hell, I think the boredom of heaven would be even worse."
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'” - Issac Asimov

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunterpower View Post
    Frost bomb is the biggest cause of their overpoweredness right now from what i can tell.
    that needs a nerf first of all.
    Frost Bomb needs to be hit by the nerf bat quick. That much damage on an instant cast is just garbage design. (For PVP anyways.)

  7. #7
    I am Murloc! Firebert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Colchester, land of the squaddies, UK
    Posts
    5,381
    Quote Originally Posted by bionics View Post
    Frost Bomb needs to be hit by the nerf bat quick. That much damage on an instant cast is just garbage design. (For PVP anyways.)
    Unfortunately, it's a talent, so whatever you do to Frost Bomb you also need to do to the other bombs.

    Oh, and Frost Bomb is already a 1.5s cast, it's only instant with Presence of Mind.

    Best thing to do would be to make the bomb do equal damage to all targets in its AoE (that is, reduce the single target DPS and increase the AoE DPS).
    37 + (3*7) + (3*7)
    W/L/Death count: Wolf: 0/1/1 | Mafia: 0/5/5 | TPR: 0/4/4
    SK: 0/1/1 | VT: 1.5/3.5/5 | Cult: 1/0/1
    Legendary Overlooked, Glyphmaster Gunhaver

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebert View Post
    Best thing to do would be to make the bomb do equal damage to all targets in its AoE (that is, reduce the single target DPS and increase the AoE DPS).
    I could live with that.

    The problem, as always, is that these abilities are fine for PVE and imba for PVP. But Blizzard has already made it clear that PVE will always come first, which is how they intend it to be.

  9. #9
    I am Murloc! Firebert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Colchester, land of the squaddies, UK
    Posts
    5,381
    Quote Originally Posted by bionics View Post
    The problem, as always, is that these abilities are fine for PVE and imba for PVP. But Blizzard has already made it clear that PVE will always come first, which is how they intend it to be.
    They've already fixed Stampede, they're working on Heroic Strike, and they've said that Chaos Bolt is an L2P issue.

    Not sure where this one falls in their eyes.
    37 + (3*7) + (3*7)
    W/L/Death count: Wolf: 0/1/1 | Mafia: 0/5/5 | TPR: 0/4/4
    SK: 0/1/1 | VT: 1.5/3.5/5 | Cult: 1/0/1
    Legendary Overlooked, Glyphmaster Gunhaver

  10. #10
    http://da.twitch.tv/wow_2/b/340989575 - @ 2.47.00 . Obviously, Mage "pressure" is the outlier in this tournament.

  11. #11
    Forget the Frost Bombs, did you see the ridiculous amounts of burst that Azael put onto Yaz Presents for their 2 wins? He quite literally one-shot the warrior and shaman in each respective game.

  12. #12
    Bloodsail Admiral Rickmagnus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    The darkest corner with the best view.
    Posts
    1,039
    Quote Originally Posted by bionics View Post
    I could live with that.

    The problem, as always, is that these abilities are fine for PVE and imba for PVP. But Blizzard has already made it clear that PVE will always come first, which is how they intend it to be.
    The funny thing is they're a decent chunk of people that would say quite the opposite in terms of balance.
    "I don't believe in an afterlife, so I don't have to spend my whole life fearing hell, or fearing heaven even more. For whatever the tortures of hell, I think the boredom of heaven would be even worse."
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'” - Issac Asimov

  13. #13
    I am Murloc! Firebert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Colchester, land of the squaddies, UK
    Posts
    5,381
    Quote Originally Posted by Penguintamer View Post
    Forget the Frost Bombs, did you see the ridiculous amounts of burst that Azael put onto Yaz Presents for their 2 wins? He quite literally one-shot the warrior and shaman in each respective game.
    In before Shatter nerf.

    Now doubles your crit chance and then adds 25%, down from adding 50%. This makes the soft crit cap 37.5%, down from 25%.
    37 + (3*7) + (3*7)
    W/L/Death count: Wolf: 0/1/1 | Mafia: 0/5/5 | TPR: 0/4/4
    SK: 0/1/1 | VT: 1.5/3.5/5 | Cult: 1/0/1
    Legendary Overlooked, Glyphmaster Gunhaver

  14. #14
    I've been watching the last several rounds of matches on the twitch stream, and almost every match has ended in such an unbelievable one-shot burst that makes the stream's chat explode with "WTF HOW DID THAT HAPPEN I DIDNT EVEN SEE IT". I've missed almost every kill just by blinking or looking at another part of the screen. It's so stupid.

    The worst part is, this is only the beginning of the expansion. It's only gonna get burstier.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickmagnus View Post
    The funny thing is they're a decent chunk of people that would say quite the opposite in terms of balance.
    How? Name one instance where Blizzard buffed something for PVP and if it made things wonky in PVE -- they didn't just hotfix it or fix it immediately or shortly thereafter?

    The game is PVE first and PVP an afterthought -- they've said it themselves.

  16. #16
    The Patient Principe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    281
    Okay im seriously so annoyed with frostbomb at the fact its a 10 second cd and can basically wipe out someones health by 50%

    only thing that has killed cdew in these matches.

  17. #17
    It was pretty hilarious seeing Cdew going from 200k health to 0 in one frost bomb and seeing everyone, commentators included going "????????".

    Mages in this game have the best of every worlds: Good and instant damage including burst, mobility, plenty of CC (AoE, hard, soft... you name it), defensive CDs together a invulnerability spell, offensive dispel that steals the buff they remove, etc etc...

    The only thing I can give them is that they require a average-high skillcap to play to full extent... but when that skillcap is reached, they are uncontrollable beasts.

    Blizzard will never nerf them, though.

  18. #18
    The Patient Principe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    281
    Quote Originally Posted by Infighter View Post
    It was pretty hilarious seeing Cdew going from 200k health to 0 in one frost bomb and seeing everyone, commentators included going "????????".

    Mages in this game have the best of every worlds: Good and instant damage including burst, mobility, plenty of CC (AoE, hard, soft... you name it), defensive CDs together a invulnerability spell, offensive dispel that steals the buff they remove, etc etc...

    The only thing I can give them is that they require a average-high skillcap to play to full extent... but when that skillcap is reached, they are uncontrollable beasts.

    Blizzard will never nerf them, though.
    Yes correct, there is fine line between an average mage and a good mage but it shouldn't give them the right to be gods.

  19. #19
    The Patient crazymack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    <--- that way
    Posts
    260
    I know mages have like nothing in their arsenal that can stop me from walk over to them and pounding their face into the ground.
    Wait... that's not what this thread is about?

  20. #20
    so many things wrong in this thread. lol.

    nerf F-bomb / buff frost bolt. problem solved. armor nerf and barrier nerf are going to hurt mages enough after that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shahada View Post
    The devs aren't stupid.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •