Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Excuse me for my blunt words but think about it carefully, real money to unlock a part of your hud which when SWTOR launched was free anyway.... does it not make you think twice about how fucking idiotic it is. I came back after quitting in March and... personally this F2P is one of the biggest disasters in any game I have ever seen. Reinstalled and Uninstalled all in one day. It's just for me just to throw away the discs and accept the SWTOR is a massive failure.

It makes no sense actually, so they make the game F2P which is not so bad tbh. There are a lot of good F2P games out there which run nice. But they give you only 2 actionbars? And you've got more skills than could fit on these bars. So you are forcing people to either play with the spellbook open? Or purchase extra bars. Something is wrong here I think.

I wonder how much money Blizz can make by removing some addon functionality like DBM and then adding it to the blizz store lol.

Point being, they should make the game completely functional and charge for content and fluff. I think it was a wrong move to impact playability like they have. Their model hasn't changed because of it. You still have to pay to play (comfortably).

I've retried swotor because well why not now...but the gameplay limitations just turn me off. If I was actually able to enjoy the game I would be more willing to spend money on them for awesome things like the cartel packs.

Quote Originally Posted by Lefrog View Post
    I wonder how much money Blizz can make by removing some addon functionality like DBM and then adding it to the blizz store lol.
    An addon marketplace would actually be kind of interesting, provided it's a free market and you can list addons for free.

There are more abilities in the game for most classes than the two action bars would fill. Hope F2P players have fun activating their mounts and buffs from the spellbook. It's really endemic of how EA doesn't seem to understand that they need to think of their free players as a resource and customer base rather than some kind of larval form of subscriber.

The point I am trying to make is.. Giving every character 4 bars would only cost you one time 15 bucks..That's right. .one time 15 bucks and you get pretty much access to 8 different story lines each for 35-40 hours..

How is that a bad deal? I've dropped 59.99 on games I finished in 8 hours.

Hell. Blizzard charges 39.99 every two years on top of their monthly subscriptions.. all just to log in the game.. That.. is insane..
    Last edited by Semihage; 2012-11-18 at 05:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Semihage View Post
    The point I am trying to make is.. Giving every character 4 bars would only cost you one time 15 bucks..That's right. .one time 15 bucks and you get pretty much access to 8 different story lines each for 35-40 hours..

How is that a bad deal? I've dropped 59.99 on games I finished in 8 hours.

Hell. Blizzard charges 39.99 every two years on top of their monthly subscriptions.. all just to log in the game.. That.. is insane..
    Let's say you make a game, a decide to give it out for free with a real money store what isn't pay to win. Why would you do that? Well you hope that enough people would play and love your game to death that they will spend some money on it to enhance your already enjoyful gaming experience.

The difference here is that EA made the game purposely unenjoyable (in my opinion anyways) for the free portion of their game. This doesn't really give me incentive to purchase anything from them, as I'm not having fun with all the restrictions.

Look how many people purchased things off the blizzard store already. It's just crazy. That is because people like and enjoy playing WoW, and don't mind dropping another 10-15 dollars for highly overpriced fluff material that you use maybe 1/100th of the time you are playing the game.

There is something seriously wrong with their business plan when I'd rather spend 15 dollars for a cute cinder kitten I will hardly ever have out past the first month than 15 dollars to have 4 more bars.

I didn't find it that bad, i logged in today for the first time in about 5 months and was able to fit nearly everything on my 2 action bars for my consular, heck if i take off my 2 melee abilities i could fit both my relics on there aswell.

It really is about the principle, not the cost. The fact that they would charge for a playability aspect of the game just goes to show how far they are willing to take it to ensure that you have to pay them. Some people seem to think this is fine... considering UI bars. What if it was something else?

What if they tried to charge you to be able to change to Windowed Mode?
    What about any other playability option?
    Maybe you should have to pay cartel points to be able to toggle run?

That is the mentality that is being displayed by these inane choices to impact playability with the market.

Also, in order to play through all of the stories as a F2P or Preferred player, when limited to 2 character slots; won't you have to delete them after putting all that time in? I'm unaware of any ability to purchase more character slots.

This is where my fancy character signature would be, if I had one.

The game is still very much playable from 1-25 easily with 2 bars.. It's when you get to 30+ then you start to feel you really need that additional bar for all your skills.

It's not impossible to play, but is just nice to have. So in essence that's the same as WoW/RIFT except the restriction is a lot softer. And consider that if you really like what you are seeing, then you can unlock them with just one time cost.. That's a hellova better than WoW/RIFT where you have to start subscribing juts to access your max level character for one month.

I don't get how people keep saying this is insane.. If one time charge is insane, then what about WoW/RIFT that requires monthly charge just to log in to your existing characters?
    Last edited by Semihage; 2012-11-18 at 06:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lefrog View Post
    Let's say you make a game, a decide to give it out for free with a real money store what isn't pay to win. Why would you do that? Well you hope that enough people would play and love your game to death that they will spend some money on it to enhance your already enjoyful gaming experience.

The difference here is that EA made the game purposely unenjoyable (in my opinion anyways) for the free portion of their game. This doesn't really give me incentive to purchase anything from them, as I'm not having fun with all the restrictions.

Look how many people purchased things off the blizzard store already. It's just crazy. That is because people like and enjoy playing WoW, and don't mind dropping another 10-15 dollars for highly overpriced fluff material that you use maybe 1/100th of the time you are playing the game.

There is something seriously wrong with their business plan when I'd rather spend 15 dollars for a cute cinder kitten I will hardly ever have out past the first month than 15 dollars to have 4 more bars.
    I bought the game and played it for about 3 months before quitting when they didn't release ranked when they said they would, alongside countless other horrible, broken things. Bugs, horrible control, how RNG and grinding got you gear. Me and my guild, which was about 12 or 13 really amazing PvPers really didn't have any competition when PvPing, so we all quit the game. Anyway, I was interested in coming back and playing the game a bit, but seeing as I already bought the game and I still am restricted as if I didn't buy it, and all these stupid restrictions on XP that, due to running out of quests and warzone grinding for xp being too difficult, and really a sad restriction like 2 action bars? I have 0 interest in playing this game, fuck EA and this garbage F2P model, trying to squeeze money out of people harder than any other F2P game, and doing it unfairly. *surprised*

Quote Originally Posted by chocobo606 View Post
    I bought the game and played it for about 3 months before quitting when they didn't release ranked when they said they would, alongside countless other horrible, broken things. Bugs, horrible control, how RNG and grinding got you gear. Me and my guild, which was about 12 or 13 really amazing PvPers really didn't have any competition when PvPing, so we all quit the game. Anyway, I was interested in coming back and playing the game a bit, but seeing as I already bought the game and I still am restricted as if I didn't buy it, and all these stupid restrictions on XP that, due to running out of quests and warzone grinding for xp being too difficult, and really a sad restriction like 2 action bars? I have 0 interest in playing this game, fuck EA and this garbage F2P model, trying to squeeze money out of people harder than any other F2P game, and doing it unfairly. *surprised*
    Oh I agree for hardcore players the game is really not there yet.. I am purely speaking from the view that if you like to play casual and just leveling different toons and enjoy stories.. 15 bucks one time cost is dirt cheap for the content you get.

10+ Year Old Account
    What really irks me is that they advertise it as Free to play when in fact it's just a demo ... Kinda like a car company offering a car for free but charges you for steering wheel, belt buckles, extra seats for a ridiculous price... It just pisses me off... I understand there having to be some limitations... but it's just ridiculous, and the worst thing is that you can't really play with only 2 bars after a point ...

Deleted
    The game is still very much playable from 1-25 easily with 2 bars.. It's when you get to 30+ then you start to feel you really need that additional bar for all your skills.

It's not impossible to play, but is just nice to have. So in essence that's the same as WoW/RIFT except the restriction is a lot softer. And consider that if you really like what you are seeing, then you can unlock them with just one time cost.. That's a hellova better than WoW/RIFT where you have to start subscribing juts to access your max level character for one month.

I don't get how people keep saying this is insane.. If one time charge is insane, then what about WoW/RIFT that requires monthly charge just to log in to your existing characters?
    EA should have stayed with the subscription model, because nothing good can come from a half hearted F2P conversion that revolves around restricting players and separating the player base into categories of P2W, now we get subscribers and rich people who can play for real, and everyone else is screwed, what is the point, they could just have launched the fucking shop in a subscription model like WoW did and we would have no problems.

EA is mismanaged, they are clueless if they think they will steal away with a ton of new players who are willing to shell out more than subscribers yet were somehow unwilling to pay for a subscription, the audience they should pursue are those who are unwilling to pay a subscription but can afford to pay for some fluff, and that train is speeding away with these imposed restrictions, and fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabid View Post
    EA should have stayed with the subscription model, because nothing good can come from a half hearted F2P conversion that revolves around restricting players and separating the player base into categories of P2W, now we get subscribers and rich people who can play for real, and everyone else is screwed, what is the point, they could just have launched the fucking shop in a subscription model like WoW did and we would have no problems.

EA is mismanaged, they are clueless if they think they will steal away with a ton of new players who are willing to shell out more than subscribers yet were somehow unwilling to pay for a subscription, the audience they should pursue are those who are unwilling to pay a subscription but can afford to pay for some fluff, and that train is speeding away with these imposed restrictions, and fast.
    There is no fluff.. You can go 1-50 without any subscription. A couple more bars are very cheap to obtain for one time cost. I have no idea why player base would be separated.. If you enjoyed the game before, you can keep your subscriptions and nothing would have changed for you. Except now you have greater flexibility because should you choose to take maybe one month off you can still have the option of logging back and play a bit.

And most existing subscriber should have enough complementary cartel point stashed up they can easily spend on unlocking those precious action bars.

What really irks me is that they advertise it as Free to play when in fact it's just a demo ... Kinda like a car company offering a car for free but charges you for steering wheel, belt buckles, extra seats for a ridiculous price... It just pisses me off... I understand there having to be some limitations... but it's just ridiculous, and the worst thing is that you can't really play with only 2 bars after a point ...
    That pretty much is true for WoW/RIFT as well.. So again.. nothing new here. .Except SWTOR has much softer requirement.
    Last edited by Semihage; 2012-11-18 at 07:26 PM.

Think the problem is they bill it as free to play but don't even give you the basics that other cheaper f2p games do ...even ones done badly...it's like saying that your life is free 2 play but we are going to restrict access to your fingers mouth an lungs but you can pay to unlock them.

Deleted
    Even If I was a millionaire I wouldn't pay the price to use basic UI functions for principle reasons, it's a fucking joke.
    Last edited by mmoceeceb76e25; 2012-11-18 at 07:47 PM.

People keep saying "it's plain wrong"

But what's right? Charging 15 bucks per month just so that you can log into WoW/RIFT and sometimes just to chat.. Is that right? Charging 59.99 just so that you can log into D2/GW2.. Is that right?...

At certain point you have to look at the price point and the stuff you are getting and then ask yourself, compare to other games I have bought, does this money seems like worth it? I would say yes... Why not.. I can easily play the game from 1-25 with only 2 bars.. and if I enjoy what I am doing, I don't mind throw in 10 bucks so I can unlock the whole 6 bars permanently.

F2P really is just like the shareware demo back in the 90s.. In another word, there is nothing brand new about this kind of pricing strategy.
    If you have never played before f2p and didn't buy the game the charges are a deal and not too much to ask. The real ppl that seem to be upset are the one that were subbed in some cases for several months after buying the game and they are treated just like the random folks that have paid nothing. Making ppl sub again to unlock the cartel coins was a dirty move.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Sighz View Post
    "Although BioWare has not disclosed development costs, industry leaders and financial analysts have estimated it to be between $150 million and $200 million. If accurate, this would make it the most expensive video game ever developed."

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wa...e_Old_Republic

Why do people insist on revving up what the cost was?
    The bolded part would explain why. As long as their is no hardcore evidence, it will always be up for speculation.

at the end of the day any business is there to make money, there is only so much you can actually do to convert chunks of your game to fit around a f2p model, sure they want you to play for free and enjoy all the messing around you would otherwise have to sit on a subscription to do. but unless you think of ways to monetize the whole game, crap tons of ppl will just suck up the restrictions or work around it.

if your casual there is only a few things that even get in the way of a headacheless game.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2012-11-18 at 08:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TanksBosses View Post
    The bolded part would explain why. As long as their is no hardcore evidence, it will always be up for speculation.
    True, every discussion we had around here for the past year ended up concluding that the 150-200 number is accurate, I'm sure we can have it again and again and still end up with the same conclusion.