Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    From my point of view - as a player that has spent more money on SWTOR than on GW2 for example... why 1 game desides to remove quickbars that I was using at lvl 50 - but the other one does not (I dont need that many). I also do not have to buy multiple other features that I do expect a Buy to play game (like I did with SWTOR) to offer even tho Im not subscribing. The subscriber content in SWTOR is supposed to be different content - content that is also free btw in GW2.

So it should not take a genious to see why some ppl have issue with SWTOR F2P way of doing things. Cause they are still nickle and dimeing ppl that have already bought the game and have subscribed. Something that ppl dont expect at this point cause they see other games that avoid such features.

Why ppl are comparing RIFT and WOW with SWTOR is ok WHEN you are comparing the subscription features those games offer.

But if you have already bought SWTOR then you should compare it to game like GW2 that is offering same sort of long term features. And its then when you realise that even 300-400$ already spend in SWTOR only punishes you if you are not gonna pay more in "F2P" while GW2 doesn't. And thats probably why ppl feel Bioware did a really poor job.

For me - its ok for Bioware to charge former buyers and subscribers of NEW content that is coming later down the line. What is not ok is to expect those players to shell out more for features they already bougth and subscribed for in the past. Then other games become much better value. Like GW 2 for example.
    Last edited by duster2; 2012-11-18 at 09:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    If you have never played before f2p and didn't buy the game the charges are a deal and not too much to ask. The real ppl that seem to be upset are the one that were subbed in some cases for several months after buying the game and they are treated just like the random folks that have paid nothing. Making ppl sub again to unlock the cartel coins was a dirty move.
    This I will agree.. Paying 1 month sub just to unlock complementary point seems to be a slap in the face to the early adopters that wanted to support this game.

Quote Originally Posted by Semihage View Post
    This I will agree.. Paying 1 month sub just to unlock complementary point seems to be a slap in the face to the early adopters that wanted to support this game.
    I'll agree with you too. I did the CE order when they first became available, played all from the beginning of beta, and kept about a 3 month paid sub. The bugs and my time limits simply were too much to keep paying.

For a person just signing up now, I can see the restrictions on # of toons, races, inventory slots, etc.................but on UI bars, hiding helm (some of the graphics are the worst I've ever seen in an MMO, heck, a pancake with a hamster on top would look better on my head), ridiculous.

You can buy all the unlocks from the GTN for credits. That is if someone is selling them. And because you cannot have more that 250k credits they are/will be pretty cheap. Yes even your action bars. Besides, they are 250 cartel which is about $2.50. if you REALLY need that extra action bar stop being so tight. Free to play, does not mean free. Most free to play games let you do only a certian amount before charging you to unlock zones and area's. SWTOR is generous by letting you experience all the game has to offer. In no means is it a trial, and that suggestion is obsurd and ignorant on so many levels.. Its all the content for free.

Quote Originally Posted by hoarus View Post
    You can buy all the unlocks from the GTN for credits. That is if someone is selling them. And because you cannot have more that 250k credits they are/will be pretty cheap. Yes even your action bars. Besides, they are 250 cartel which is about $2.50. if you REALLY need that extra action bar stop being so tight. Free to play, does not mean free. Most free to play games let you do only a certian amount before charging you to unlock zones and area's. SWTOR is generous by letting you experience all the game has to offer. In no means is it a trial, and that suggestion is obsurd and ignorant on so many levels.. Its all the content for free.
    Mm.. that's actually interesting.. Since subscribers get 600 coins every month anyway.. Maybe they'll use this to sell action for F2P players?

---------- Post added 2012-11-18 at 11:21 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by duster2 View Post
    From my point of view - as a player that has spent more money on SWTOR than on GW2 for example... why 1 game desides to remove quickbars that I was using at lvl 50 - but the other one does not (I dont need that many). I also do not have to buy multiple other features that I do expect a Buy to play game (like I did with SWTOR) to offer even tho Im not subscribing. The subscriber content in SWTOR is supposed to be different content - content that is also free btw in GW2.

So it should not take a genious to see why some ppl have issue with SWTOR F2P way of doing things. Cause they are still nickle and dimeing ppl that have already bought the game and have subscribed. Something that ppl dont expect at this point cause they see other games that avoid such features.

Why ppl are comparing RIFT and WOW with SWTOR is ok WHEN you are comparing the subscription features those games offer.

But if you have already bought SWTOR then you should compare it to game like GW2 that is offering same sort of long term features. And its then when you realise that even 300-400$ already spend in SWTOR only punishes you if you are not gonna pay more in "F2P" while GW2 doesn't. And thats probably why ppl feel Bioware did a really poor job.

For me - its ok for Bioware to charge former buyers and subscribers of NEW content that is coming later down the line. What is not ok is to expect those players to shell out more for features they already bougth and subscribed for in the past. Then other games become much better value. Like GW 2 for example.

Hold on a sec.. If you are subscribed.. you have all the access.. In fact you probably already got the complementary cartel point to get those unlocked.. So I am not so sure what you are complaining about.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hoarus View Post
    You can buy all the unlocks from the GTN for credits.
    Since this person only has 1 post, can someone confirm this? B/c this is basically buying gold...if that's what you are after, it is much cheaper to do it other ways. Not advocating that, but money for gold in an MMO is pretty craptastic.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    let's apply some logics to this non sense

they is a crowd, on forum, that dislike having only 2 actions bars to play the game as F2P players.
    F2P players can buy extra action bars in the cash shop for $2.50 per bar and per character.
    Therefore, i conclude that this crowd doesn't want to spend $$$ to get those extra action bar

So far i don't think i'm wrong. Let's continue

Now this crowd claims that having 2 action bars is not enough. They go as far as saying it make their experience unenjoyable. Some say at least 4 action bars is or should be a standard for this type of hotkey MMO game.

Therefore, this crowd is not willing to spend $5 for an essential and game enhancing/ game standard feature that would allow them to enjoy the game. In summary, they are not willing to spend any money to enjoy the game more.

I came to the conclusion that this type of player, not willing to spend any money to a feature that would enhance they enjoyment of the game, is very likely to never spend any money in the cash shop, especially for what they call "fluff"

So, if conclusion is correct, loosing this crowd of player would probably have a minimum effect, almost unnoticeable, to incomes. They would only clutter server and increase queue times for other players.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vankrys View Post
    I came to the conclusion that this type of player, not willing to spend any money to a feature that would enhance they enjoyment of the game, is very likely to never spend any money in the cash shop, especially for what they call "fluff"

So, if conclusion is correct, loosing this crowd of player would probably have a minimum effect, almost unnoticeable, to incomes. They would only clutter server and increase queue times for other players.
    Conclusion is not correct. In fact, you made a jump in logic as large as the recent free fall from space. I actually won't even call it a conclusion. It was an assumption. One that is, in most cases, completely wrong.

This type of player would love to spend money on fluff. If the game was completely free and not hindered in any way, they would have already had my equivalent money just buying cartel packs. If subsequent awesome items came out, they would keep getting my money. Stop jumping down the consumers throat when a company wants to be lazy. They are going this route so they don't have to actually create content for the game or the Cartel Market. They rushed the release, have been sitting on their thumbs for far too long. This many months and they can't have something other than Cartel Packs and reskins to spend money on?

i

Quote Originally Posted by Vankrys View Post
    let's apply some logics to this non sense

they is a crowd, on forum, that dislike having only 2 actions bars to play the game as F2P players.
    F2P players can buy extra action bars in the cash shop for $2.50 per bar and per character.
    Therefore, i conclude that this crowd doesn't want to spend $$$ to get those extra action bar

So far i don't think i'm wrong. Let's continue

Now this crowd claims that having 2 action bars is not enough. They go as far as saying it make their experience unenjoyable. Some say at least 4 action bars is or should be a standard for this type of hotkey MMO game.

Therefore, this crowd is not willing to spend $5 for an essential and game enhancing/ game standard feature that would allow them to enjoy the game. In summary, they are not willing to spend any money to enjoy the game more.

I would spend money on cool "fluff" before tool bars.

Cool fluff to me though, is NOT a wooden axe, floating chair, or a bag filled with random crap (with a chance for something cool).

If it was like a lazer axe, whip, or very cool looking armor, vehicles, etc...................I would buy it.

10 bucks in most other F2P MMOs gets me a lot more than two measly UI action bars on one character. One game I know that happens to lock non-main storyline content behind purchases would open access to 2-3 questing zones worth of content, permanently, across all your characters for the life of your account for about the same price.

Even ignoring the poor message it sends when you lock things like that behind a price tag, it's a total rip off.

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    Since this person only has 1 post, can someone confirm this? B/c this is basically buying gold...if that's what you are after, it is much cheaper to do it other ways. Not advocating that, but money for gold in an MMO is pretty craptastic.
    I believe anything that deposits a physical item in your bag can be sold on the GTN, but don't quote me on that. I know for a fact the Cartel market stuff can following the 24+ hour cooldown on trading the item, and I wouldn't be surprised if the other physical items can be sold as well. However, I don't know what is and isn't unlocked via physical items.

Tested it. He's correct
    imgur . com/5FZaq,uzdw7,iW2NS,o0Yhh
    (remove the spaces around the .)

Quote Originally Posted by Zocat View Post
    Tested it. He's correct
    imgur . com/5FZaq,uzdw7,iW2NS,o0Yhh
    (remove the spaces around the .)
    Well, free players have a 200k credit cap, no? That probably price those unlocks out of reach for free players.

Yeah, 200k for F2P.
    I'm preferred and have a cap of 350k. But that's 350k per character. Just need someone who is subbed who I can trust with that much money

Also you can buy multiple items which are worth 200k (or 350k) each and then trade those at once against one big ticket item. Sure it's inconvenient but it's possible.

Comparing GW2 F2P with SWTOR F2P is as wrong as calling a Formula One Driver a Nascar Driver... both are driving but entirely different circumstances. To transfer a subscription game to a F2P game is much more complicated than building a F2P game from the beginning because people don't know what they "had" before and therefor they won't complain about it.

Go play any of the myriad of F2P games out there, see how many of them charge you for something as basic as action bars...

When star wars was announced as free to play I was pretty excited, i enjoyed the game but didn't feel it was worth the cost of a monthly sub. The free to play model bioware and EA are raping their players for every last cent they can and then they wonder why their game crashed and burned so hard? Quite simply they have no idea how to give their consumers what they want and are just addicted to trying to eke out every last dime they can from those willing to pay for sub par quality/service.

Deleted
    Spent 3 days downloading swtor after the FtP patch, and gave up playing it in 10minutes...
    1. The game took 3+minutes to start, brings memories of how long I had to wait when changing a planet every single time.
    2. Action bars, cash gain, xpgain etc : all limited while you aren't subscribed

F2P feels like half a game

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeleh View Post
    Go play any of the myriad of F2P games out there, see how many of them charge you for something as basic as action bars...

When star wars was announced as free to play I was pretty excited, i enjoyed the game but didn't feel it was worth the cost of a monthly sub. The free to play model bioware and EA are raping their players for every last cent they can and then they wonder why their game crashed and burned so hard? Quite simply they have no idea how to give their consumers what they want and are just addicted to trying to eke out every last dime they can from those willing to pay for sub par quality/service.
    by all means, suggest one. I'm serious, i'll try it, and see by myself what good F2P should be. (not lotro though, as i heard, in lotro, you have to buy quest package to continue leveling by questing, doesn't seem fun to me)

Since this person only has 1 post,
    F2P players cannot post at the official forums. This is the first result for the "swtor forum" at the google search. 1+1= There will be lots of new faces here.

meh, a "f2p" game isn't a f2p game unless it goes with formats like FlyFF, ie you can do everything without spending any money, however you'll need to buy cash shop items from other players

stuff like ddo,lotro and obviously swtor are not f2p

Didn't know about SWTOR restricting quick bars, was planning to go f2p to level cap then resub again :P

This kinda seems petty of Bioware, I'm not sure if I'm going to even bother with f2p now...turns me off from the game somewhat. Too bad, I was looking forward to playing again.

Maybe I'll just buy some Skyrim addon packs instead...>.<