Page 6 of 37 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I think pets will be a cool feature and all, I just don't think they're <pinky>one million dollars</pinky> stretch goal material.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sadly I'm not in a financially stable place to be able to preorder, but I'm still stoked, my terraria hours are off the charts so I can safely say this is a buy on release, something I never do... probably 4 pack too since my brother loves it and I have two friends who liked playing terraria.
    I have eaten all the popcorn, I left none for anyone else.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    Once upon a time, not so long ago, lived a generation of gamers who bought a game, played a game, and didn't expect more from a game.

An MMO, or games with continuing development in order to sell your more things via cash shops/dlc/expansions, I totally understand. Games like Terraria...I'm not sure why we pay $3-$10 and expect a never ending stream of updates. I'm not criticizing you, because I would also like updates with a lot of games, but I don't understand why we've developed that mentality.

But yes, updates are coming as someone else pointed out.
    You're right, that's why i'm not terribly against DLC. we're basically getting an expansions worth of updates through a games life cycle.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    You're right, that's why i'm not terribly against DLC. we're basically getting an expansions worth of updates through a games life cycle.
    And to be honest, if a game like Terraria or Minecraft charge you 5-10 more for updates, we should be pretty glad to give it to them. They provided outstanding, unique games at a discounted price from the get go. I think I may be able to understand why we expect future content from a game like Terraria or Starbound, because of the whole Kickstarter phenomenon.

We often pay way more money up front to help develop a game, so we don't really expect to pay any more for that game in the future. Possibly this is also what enables a developer to give free content updates, as they generate enough revenue from backers in the beginning so they use any extra sales after launch for profit and updates.
    BAD WOLF

Deleted
    Once upon a time, not so long ago, lived a generation of gamers who bought a game, played a game, and didn't expect more from a game.

An MMO, or games with continuing development in order to sell your more things via cash shops/dlc/expansions, I totally understand. Games like Terraria...I'm not sure why we pay $3-$10 and expect a never ending stream of updates. I'm not criticizing you, because I would also like updates with a lot of games, but I don't understand why we've developed that mentality.

But yes, updates are coming as someone else pointed out.
    It was pretty clear when Terrarria was released that it was in a beta state...it didn't even have widescreen support. Remember how you had to download a tool to force it into a shitty widescreen? :P That's the reason why I expected updates, because. they told you they would give them.

Normally I hate updates, because it means that either they released a game unfinished or they were holding it back to make you feel like they are rewarding you. DLC jumps to mind, nobody actually believes that most DLC is getting made after the game release do they?

I wouldn't have been that upset if back then they pulled the plug...it was the fact it got updated for console and PC gamers were left hanging that got me by surprise.

Games didn't need updates or DLC in the past...they got released when they were finished and not a second earlier. I'm just taking Resident Evil 6 as an example...the game is awesome, but don't you find it funny how it was very broken on release (and still is for that matter).

Edit: Just noticed I'm derailing the thread, sorry for that. I won't go into the updates part any further. ^^
    Last edited by mmoc6f961e454e; 2013-04-19 at 09:37 PM.

Remember that the face of gaming has changed very, very dramatically since the ever-so-nebulous 'past.' Many games are still just like they were before; that is to say, released and then left to simply be there, full and complete.

But many other games nowadays are different, games aren't just bite-size entertainment bits, games have become a service. After all, we're all posting on what is at its heart an MMO forum, and nothing encapsulates 'games as a service' more than an MMO.

In any case, seems like lots of people are pretty pointlessly angry for some reason that pets is the million dollar stretch goal... silly people saying they feel cheated, or its somehow not a mighty enough reward. What's most funny about it is that these are all things that they were going to add anyways (they said so, quite exactly), and that meeting the stretch goals just allows them to squeeze the stuff for release, rather than post-release... which means that when post release comes around, they won't have to work on this stuff, and they can work on even cooler stuff.

Like that FTL-style space travel portion. LIKE THAT PART. WORK ON THAT PART CAN YOU HEAR ME CHUCKLEFISH WORK ON THAT PART
    Last edited by Herecius; 2013-04-19 at 09:51 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    Remember that the face of gaming has changed very, very dramatically since the ever-so-nebulous 'past.' Many games are still just like they were before; that is to say, released and then left to simply be there, full and complete.

But many other games nowadays are different, games aren't just bite-size entertainment bits, games have become a service. After all, we're all posting on what is at its heart an MMO forum, and nothing encapsulates 'games as a service' more than an MMO.

In any case, seems like lots of people are pretty pointlessly angry for some reason that pets is the million dollar stretch goal... silly people saying they feel cheated, or its somehow not a mighty enough reward. What's most funny about it is that these are all things that they were going to add anyways (they said so, quite exactly), and that meeting the stretch goals just allows them to squeeze the stuff for release, rather than post-release... which means that when post release comes around, they won't have to work on this stuff, and they can work on even cooler stuff.

Like that FTL-style space travel portion. LIKE THAT PART. WORK ON THAT PART CAN YOU HEAR ME CHUCKLEFISH WORK ON THAT PART
    As I said before, we are kinda derailing the thread by going on about this. :P

10+ Year Old Account
    $812,000 now this third stretch goal seems completely doable especially since there isn't a date on when beta will be coming out yet!!!

EDIT: 907k as of the 45th! Getting there!!

EDIT: 996k!!!
    Last edited by Treeskee; 2013-04-29 at 03:28 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    AND YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1,000,000 Goal met! Good Job everyone who bought/backed.

Where my beta at? </Sheriff Bart voice>

10+ Year Old Account
    not sure if it's been posted in here yet, but if any of you guys are big Starbound fans like me, might as well vote for it here

http://indiescrashe3.com/nomination/...D-D9EB6F0DF43E

Right now they're just barely in first. The devs have been asking people to spread the word, so I figure I might as well, and maybe get some more people to talk about Starbound on this place since ehhhhhhhhhhhhh I really like it what are you gonna do

oh, by the way, the second place person that Starbound is almost losing to is essentially an Argentinian Pewdiepie, so that was reason enough for me to vote for Starbound. Cuz pls

pls no pewdiepies pls

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ms Andry View Post
    not sure if it's been posted in here yet, but if any of you guys are big Starbound fans like me, might as well vote for it here

http://indiescrashe3.com/nomination/...D-D9EB6F0DF43E

Right now they're just barely in first. The devs have been asking people to spread the word, so I figure I might as well, and maybe get some more people to talk about Starbound on this place since ehhhhhhhhhhhhh I really like it what are you gonna do

oh, by the way, the second place person that Starbound is almost losing to is essentially an Argentinian Pewdiepie, so that was reason enough for me to vote for Starbound. Cuz pls

pls no pewdiepies pls
    WTH is a pewdiepie?

WTH is a pewdiepie?
    Justin Bieber of lets players, less you know the better.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    WTH is a pewdiepie?
    The all powerful Google's first result is a youtube channel with the tagline: "Become a Bro Today".

Kill it. Kill it with fire.
    BAD WOLF

While I am all for more information and/or recognition for Starbound, the contest does say:

Remember: when nominating The indier, the better

We're not looking to give some 50-man team another leg up. We want to help the garage-dwelling, midnight-coding, bootstrapping indies: the little guys.
    I would rather see some lesser-known indie game get the nod.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by icedwarrior View Post
    While I am all for more information and/or recognition for Starbound, the contest does say:

I would rather see some lesser-known indie game get the nod.
    as it turns out, pretty much like an hour after I posted this, the devs suddenly decided that they don't want to be in the contest anymore.

there's also this http://penny-arcade.com/report/artic...ketchy-tale-of

so it actually is pretty much probably gonna turn out to be fake.

I don't really know, so I guess no need to vote for it after all?????

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm really excited for this game. Terraria still gets play time on my comp...so being to expand on it and provide possibly limitless replay ability is an exciting process.

The all powerful Google's first result is a youtube channel with the tagline: "Become a Bro Today".

Kill it. Kill it with fire.
    I made the mistake of watching his 'funniest moments' montage on YouTube. Guess its alright if you like grown men overreacting and screaming like a girl at just about....everything. My ears couldn't take more than a few minutes of it.

Here's a useful link: https://twitter.com/StarRoadTracker

A twitter feed about updates to the roadmap.

10+ Year Old Account
    Been a little bit so here are some new updates!!!!!

Chat Bubbles/Face Animations

Mech Graphic

Random Screenshot

Space Travel Animation

3D Printer Interface

Codex

Terrain Features

Deleted
    People weren't pissed because they chose not to continue development on terraria, They were pissed because they added new features and updated the console version using the profits generated from the pc version, Which is a bit of a dick move.

And let's remember, PC players made this small, rather untested developer into a multi million company, That money was earnt off of PC players, using a pc game, exploiting a huge desperation market at the time (The fast becoming popular Exploration/World Building genre). Abandoning the game to work on other projects is fine, But developing content updates for a secondary platform so you can sell your game multiple times on different platforms is not.

I don't think they're being "Entitled masses" when quite frankly, they have a right to be entitled.

A comparable situation would World of Warcraft getting retrofit to work on consoles, then consoles getting exclusive updates, raids, expansions etc, while leaving the pc version as is. Granted they can technically do whatever they want with the money they earn, but so can i, and i wouldn't continue to support such behavior.

All that said I'm excited for starbound and i can't wait to play it