Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst ...
5
6
7
8
9
17
... LastLast
  1. #121
    Brewmaster Waervyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Denmark/Netherlands/Finland
    Posts
    1,346
    Quote Originally Posted by thek3mp View Post

    A comparable situation would World of Warcraft getting retrofit to work on consoles, then consoles getting exclusive updates, raids, expansions etc, while leaving the pc version as is. Granted they can technically do whatever they want with the money they earn, but so can i, and i wouldn't continue to support such behavior.
    No it isn't comparable...at...all.
    WoW you pay a subscription for, which means you pay for continued services.
    With Terraria, you bought the game...they didn't have to give you jack shit afterwards. They give you a game...and you play it, and you should be happy.
    Whatever they do with the money they earned is none of our damn business. If they want to release it for a broader audience (xbox players), then that's their own business.

    Of course I would loved it if they would have used the money instead to make more content for terraria, but I far from expected it. They really don't owe us everything. We gave them money (not a lot), and they gave us a great game...I call that an even deal.
    My recently created science blog about ants: AntyScience

  2. #122
    Quote Originally Posted by Waervyn View Post
    No it isn't comparable...at...all.
    WoW you pay a subscription for, which means you pay for continued services.
    With Terraria, you bought the game...they didn't have to give you jack shit afterwards. They give you a game...and you play it, and you should be happy.
    Whatever they do with the money they earned is none of our damn business. If they want to release it for a broader audience (xbox players), then that's their own business.

    Of course I would loved it if they would have used the money instead to make more content for terraria, but I far from expected it. They really don't owe us everything. We gave them money (not a lot), and they gave us a great game...I call that an even deal.
    Have to agree with this guy^^. Would be more comparable to a publisher giving free console specific DLC (which I'm sure happens already). Either way though I got more than what I paid for with 100 hours logged (way more than I get out of a lot of AAA titles) and I also believe it was linked somewhere in the thread they said they were going to put the update out for PC users.

  3. #123
    Quote Originally Posted by thek3mp View Post
    People weren't pissed because they chose not to continue development on terraria, They were pissed because they added new features and updated the console version using the profits generated from the pc version, Which is a bit of a dick move.
    You might have a point if it weren't for the fact that many people were upset about the situation long before anything was said about the console release.
    I don't think they're being "Entitled masses" when quite frankly, they have a right to be entitled.
    Ten bucks is all you need to be rightfully entitled?

    I would think half a year worth of free updates it worth far more than ten bucks.
    I mourn the loss of a man of true vision and talent. You were my idol, Mr. Giger.
    You gave faces to my dreams and nightmares and sparked my imagination throughout my entire life. You will be missed.

    Hans Rudolf Giger
    2/5/1940 - 5/12/2014

  4. #124
    Titan Kelimbror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Bear Taco, Left Hand of Death
    Posts
    13,624
    Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    You might have a point if it weren't for the fact that many people were upset about the situation long before anything was said about the console release
    Which is pretty ridiculous if you think about it. At most people paid what, $10-$15? at least they paid $2.50. If I even spent 1 hour enjoynig a game for $2.50 it's technically worth my time. Considering I've spent almost 100 hours for $2.50 makes me feel like I robbed their company several times over.
    BAD WOLF

  5. #125
    It seems a lot of people are indoctrinated into believing that criticism - constructive or otherwise - of a business or company's perceived questionable practices are due to 'entitlement'. If you got your money's worth and feel happy with how the game turned out, that's great! Really, it is. At least up until you start telling everyone else how they should feel regarding what happened.

    For the record, I'm pretty happy with Terraria and intend to purchase Starbound in the future.

  6. #126
    Quote Originally Posted by Calthric View Post
    It seems a lot of people are indoctrinated into believing that criticism - constructive or otherwise - of a business or company's perceived questionable practices are due to 'entitlement'. If you got your money's worth and feel happy with how the game turned out, that's great! Really, it is. At least up until you start telling everyone else how they should feel regarding what happened.
    And apparently pointing out things that should be common sense is something you do because of indoctrination.

    I don't consider it criticism, much less constructive criticism, to swear off the game and anything related to it because they stopped supporting it after half a year of free updates. Especially considering how no one has bothered to answer my question: How long does a company have to provide free content updates to a budget priced game to appease the entitled masses?
    I mourn the loss of a man of true vision and talent. You were my idol, Mr. Giger.
    You gave faces to my dreams and nightmares and sparked my imagination throughout my entire life. You will be missed.

    Hans Rudolf Giger
    2/5/1940 - 5/12/2014

  7. #127
    Brewmaster Waervyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Denmark/Netherlands/Finland
    Posts
    1,346
    Quote Originally Posted by Calthric View Post
    It seems a lot of people are indoctrinated into believing that criticism - constructive or otherwise - of a business or company's perceived questionable practices are due to 'entitlement'. If you got your money's worth and feel happy with how the game turned out, that's great! Really, it is. At least up until you start telling everyone else how they should feel regarding what happened.

    For the record, I'm pretty happy with Terraria and intend to purchase Starbound in the future.
    How is stating something and giving reasons for stating that (i.e. a proper argument) telling people how they should think?
    I guess I'll stop doing normal discussions then and say OMGn00byusostupid, if proper arguments already count as 'telling people what to do'.
    My recently created science blog about ants: AntyScience

  8. #128
    Are you deliberately ignoring my points or just trying to twist my words? Please do not try and warp my post into something completely different.

  9. #129
    Brewmaster Waervyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Denmark/Netherlands/Finland
    Posts
    1,346
    Maybe I misunderstood you, in that case sorry, but:

    If you got your money's worth and feel happy with how the game turned out, that's great! Really, it is. At least up until you start telling everyone else how they should feel regarding what happened.
    when I said

    With Terraria, you bought the game...they didn't have to give you jack shit afterwards. They give you a game...and you play it, and you should be happy.
    Whatever they do with the money they earned is none of our damn business. If they want to release it for a broader audience (xbox players), then that's their own business.

    Of course I would loved it if they would have used the money instead to make more content for terraria, but I far from expected it. They really don't owe us everything. We gave them money (not a lot), and they gave us a great game...I call that an even deal.
    I feel that's faaaaaaaaaaaaar from telling other people how they should feel about it...just giving arguments to support my view. But again, if I misunderstood, my apologies.
    My recently created science blog about ants: AntyScience

  10. #130
    Quote Originally Posted by Calthric View Post
    Are you deliberately ignoring my points or just trying to twist my words? Please do not try and warp my post into something completely different.
    You would do well to actually quote who you are responding to and specifically what they said that warrants your post.
    I mourn the loss of a man of true vision and talent. You were my idol, Mr. Giger.
    You gave faces to my dreams and nightmares and sparked my imagination throughout my entire life. You will be missed.

    Hans Rudolf Giger
    2/5/1940 - 5/12/2014

  11. #131
    Moderator Sj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    5,496
    Take the arguments to PMs. Let's keep the discussion on Starbound; if you need to discuss Terraria, it needs to be outside this thread.

  12. #132
    Quote Originally Posted by Sj View Post
    Take the arguments to PMs. Let's keep the discussion on Starbound; if you need to discuss Terraria, it needs to be outside this thread.
    With this thread's title and the assumed connection between Starbound and Terraria many people have this topic of discussion is going to keep coming up.
    I mourn the loss of a man of true vision and talent. You were my idol, Mr. Giger.
    You gave faces to my dreams and nightmares and sparked my imagination throughout my entire life. You will be missed.

    Hans Rudolf Giger
    2/5/1940 - 5/12/2014

  13. #133
    Hour long lets play video with Yogscast from the Insomnia Gaming Festival: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTqsIwd4EFU

    Still no beta.

    *grumble*grumble*
    I mourn the loss of a man of true vision and talent. You were my idol, Mr. Giger.
    You gave faces to my dreams and nightmares and sparked my imagination throughout my entire life. You will be missed.

    Hans Rudolf Giger
    2/5/1940 - 5/12/2014

  14. #134
    Dreadlord Enjeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    817
    Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    Hour long lets play video with Yogscast from the Insomnia Gaming Festival: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTqsIwd4EFU

    Still no beta.

    *grumble*grumble*
    Looks pretty fun.
    Also Sips is awesome. :I

  15. #135
    Quote Originally Posted by Enjeh View Post
    Looks pretty fun.
    Also Sips is awesome. :I
    It looks perfectly playable. And from following their blog it sounds like there's significantly more systems working that never got seen in the video. So maybe they could release that beta so players could start giving feedback...
    I mourn the loss of a man of true vision and talent. You were my idol, Mr. Giger.
    You gave faces to my dreams and nightmares and sparked my imagination throughout my entire life. You will be missed.

    Hans Rudolf Giger
    2/5/1940 - 5/12/2014

  16. #136
    The release schedule is for 2014 iirc, so plenty of time before a beta still.

    Author of: Goggle Cat Comics.

  17. #137
    Quote Originally Posted by bbr View Post
    The release schedule is for 2014 iirc, so plenty of time before a beta still.
    You recall incorrectly.

    http://www.playstarbound.com/roadmap/
    I mourn the loss of a man of true vision and talent. You were my idol, Mr. Giger.
    You gave faces to my dreams and nightmares and sparked my imagination throughout my entire life. You will be missed.

    Hans Rudolf Giger
    2/5/1940 - 5/12/2014

  18. #138

  19. #139
    Quote Originally Posted by Affixiation View Post
    Good read, thanks for the link.

  20. #140
    Quote Originally Posted by Affixiation View Post
    Finally, tier 1 is only partially finished, we're using a boss that's probably not even going to be the tier 1 boss. There's no side quests, nothing outside of the main tutorial line of quests. We don't have serialization stability. Party mechanics are only accessible via chat commands, as are much of everything else. The state the game is in is kinda cool to kick around in for about an hour. But it really isn't ready to be released to the general public.
    Does someone need to explain to them what a beta test is?
    I mourn the loss of a man of true vision and talent. You were my idol, Mr. Giger.
    You gave faces to my dreams and nightmares and sparked my imagination throughout my entire life. You will be missed.

    Hans Rudolf Giger
    2/5/1940 - 5/12/2014

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •