Page 28 of 37 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    The pixel curve is a little odd at the moment, pre-refinery it's very grindy but post-refinery it's the easiest thing in the world. Maybe opening the refinery up to tier1 wouldn't be a bad idea.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    No, it seems like people aren't actually reading what I'm saying. But hey, this is MMO-C subforums, the home of valiantly defending any criticism against *insert game* in its thread. I'm only up to level 3 because I like exploring and building instead of trying to get the best weapons, beat the bosses, hit threat 10 planets, etc.

I wanted to build because I found lots of cool things. Guess what? It's too expensive since you can only replicate the things and not actually craft them. The game is shallow and has an identity crisis which is magnified by the problem I have detailed. I don't need to hear anecdotes about being higher level and how it works just fine, as my criticism states I don't like that I need to level my way up in order to be able to build what I want on a small world. To me it's not enjoyable. It's perfectly fine if I feel that way. If it's the permanent design, the game won't be as enjoyable to me. It is what it is.
    I read your post, and answered based on what my experience of the game. I never ever had problems with pixels except for the late game where the crafts gets really expensive, but you'll have the refinery once you get there, that's what I'm saying
    I spent a shitload of time on the first planet, and got a lot of "common" ore (copper,silver and gold), after that the new sectors are just a matter of gathering the crafting ore for the tier (Iron/titanium etc.). I did that for the or level 1-4 and then rushed to level 10 just to see the endgame gear... having to fight bosses will extend the game by a lot, and I am looking forward to it.
    You are entitled to say whatever you want about the game and about me, and so am I... and that pixel thing sounds a bit odd to me, that's it.
    I didn't play the latest patch tho, I may be wrong and something changed on that side.

I played Terraria too (recently and for the first time), and there are way more things to artificially extend the game in there then in Starbound. Try to remember your first playthrough... Nightmares

Deleted
    Bought it yesterday, it's my first time playing a Sandbox game of this kind, sort of liking it so far. Feeling a bit lost though, but I'm figuring it out as I go. I've played plenty of cRPG's where I wanted to feel like an explorer and nothing really comes close to the vibe this game is giving me in the first few hours. Still on the first planet, mucking about, but I feel like the space age version of Indiana Jones so far. Except I don't have Chewbacca at my side.

The mesmerizing piano score does wonders too.
    Last edited by mmoc112630d291; 2013-12-19 at 08:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by noskillz View Post
    I read your post, and answered based on what my experience of the game. I never ever had problems with pixels except for the late game where the crafts gets really expensive, but you'll have the refinery once you get there, that's what I'm saying
    I spent a shitload of time on the first planet, and got a lot of "common" ore (copper,silver and gold), after that the new sectors are just a matter of gathering the crafting ore for the tier (Iron/titanium etc.). I did that for the or level 1-4 and then rushed to level 10 just to see the endgame gear... having to fight bosses will extend the game by a lot, and I am looking forward to it.
    You are entitled to say whatever you want about the game and about me, and so am I... and that pixel thing sounds a bit odd to me, that's it.
    I didn't play the latest patch tho, I may be wrong and something changed on that side.

I played Terraria too (recently and for the first time), and there are way more things to artificially extend the game in there then in Starbound. Try to remember your first playthrough... Nightmares
    I'd agree with this. Starbound's currently at the point Terraria was prior to having Hard Mode added, right now and it's still pre-release. Things can only get more involved and developed as it goes on.

Hello everyone!

I'm thinking of buying this game, but wanted to ask a couple of questions first :
    1) How similar is this to Terraria? I didn't like Terraria very much (although I didn't play it too much),but I just didn't get into it. But Starbound seems interesting,with all the races, the quests, the explorarion,etc. I did love Minecraft though, if that tells you anything.

2) I know this is early access, and I've heard that there have been character wipes and stuff like that, and I understand. But, does it happen too often?

3) I'm mostly interested in the game because it looks like there is a lot of stuff to explore, there seems to be progression, armor/weapon crafting,etc. Will it live up to my expectations? or is this not the focus of the game at all? (Although it seemed that way).

4) How are the quest and crafting systems? I didn't like the way you crafted stuff in Terraria, it was kind of confusing.

Overall, do you think it's worth 15$? (The "15$ is nothing,support the devs" doesn't do much here, 15$ here is quite some money, I live in Venezuela. I can pay it no problem, but, I'm still not quite sure,that's why I'm asking).

Thanks!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jemd13 View Post
    Hello everyone!

I'm thinking of buying this game, but wanted to ask a couple of questions first :
    1) How similar is this to Terraria? I didn't like Terraria very much (although I didn't play it too much),but I just didn't get into it. But Starbound seems interesting,with all the races, the quests, the explorarion,etc. I did love Minecraft though, if that tells you anything.

2) I know this is early access, and I've heard that there have been character wipes and stuff like that, and I understand. But, does it happen too often?

3) I'm mostly interested in the game because it looks like there is a lot of stuff to explore, there seems to be progression, armor/weapon crafting,etc. Will it live up to my expectations? or is this not the focus of the game at all? (Although it seemed that way).

4) How are the quest and crafting systems? I didn't like the way you crafted stuff in Terraria, it was kind of confusing.

Overall, do you think it's worth 15$? (The "15$ is nothing,support the devs" doesn't do much here, 15$ here is quite some money, I live in Venezuela. I can pay it no problem, but, I'm still not quite sure,that's why I'm asking).

Thanks!
    1) It has same movement controls, less fall damage and probably more focused on exploring different planets instead of digging whole world in holes. That's probably all that i found similar to Terraria.

2) On my experience it happened once. Before that they released couple of patches with note of "wipe you character plox to get access to many changes in this patch", but i never actually bothered about it, and looks like they've found a way to implement features without wiping characters, because i lost my OPed bow *sob*

3) There is a lot of things to explore. But with current patch, you have so much ore out of one planet, that you can get into 3rd tier without even leaving it. Armour/weapon crafting is "meh", all recipes i found was crappy ones (worse than "basic" craft weapons) and all "green" and "epic" melee weapons i found was crappy too (epic sword with 3 DPS, WOOOOHOO). But there is some intersting idea with "heat", to mine on moons or snow planets you have to keep your warmth to not die (there is craft leather suit for it which gives you crappy armour, so you won't want to fight in it).

4) There is craft "tables" (anvils, cooking pots, campfires and such), you E them and craft window pops up, you look what you can craft, pick something, types certain amount, click "craft". Also there is forges which can melt ore even without you needing to do anything, just drop 1k ore in it, click "melt" and do w.e. you want, it will melt by itself.

Yes, it's totally worth 15$ (but i've got mine for 175 rub, it's around 5$ due to very cheap 4 pack on steam)

Expect that this game won't probably keep you entertained for long time, it's beta after all.

Ooooh, i wounder, why when i sip tea, arrow of my voltmeter drops from 220 to 0, time to go under table, if i wont come back i'll probably be in hospital, bye!
    Last edited by Charge me Doctor; 2013-12-23 at 02:01 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    Hey, but molten core is the planet core, so, when you reach this lava, it's just lava. You could fill it with dirt and make some kind of "tunnel", but i think they fixed it
    Yea I did just that
    The camera stops going down after a certain length
    There was a ton of stuff to mine in the lava too O.o
    PM me weird stuff :3

Deleted
    Way different game than Terraria, and way inferior to it imo. But its in beta so things can change.

Whole premise of starbound makes no sense. You have a starship and you still hack down trees and mine stones. The hell? Maybe if you crash landed and had to repair your ship.

Terraria made you feel attachment to your world. In starbound i see no reason to build anything anywhere since you'll be hopping from planet to planet continuously.
    Enemies are boring and the whole game feels clumsy and somewhat ugly. Currently it feels more like a try to cash off from Terrarias (unexpected) success.

My personal opinion as someone who immensely enjoyed Terraria is that you're not guaranteed to like Starbound just because you liked Terraria.

Definitelly not my cup of tea. But i understand some people might enjoy it. Its not completely hopeless game in the end.

Like i said, its in beta. Maybe things change.

I think if they added some ship customization instead, it would solve the feeling of "no point in building anything anywhere". And to solve the other part (i.e. building on planets being pointless) could be to make unique NPC's to each planet that moves into your buildings, and they could sell you rare stuff or allow you to hire a companion or something.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

10+ Year Old Account
    im terribly disapointed in this game, heard one of guildies talking about it, so i've decided to check it out... its basically 2d version of minecraft... meh

10+ Year Old Account
    Latest Update:

Changelog for v. Angry Koala 23/12/2013

A ton of new content in this update. We've added a bunch of new features to world generation,
    which might require you to start on a new universe. To make sure you get access to all the new
    crafting items you either need to unlock sectors again or create a new character.

Also..

- Added skyrails based on Apjjms mod!
    - Added a brand new weather system, moddable weather/new environment effects
    - Hydrophobic objects are destroyed by all liquids
    - Trees can now be planted
    - Critical items stay on the ground longer
    - Some new monster behaviours
    - You must now be orbiting a planet to set it as your home
    - Free teleportation to home planet from ships teleporter
    - add acid rain, meteor showers, water collecting during storms and more
    - made species mods easier to combine with one another
    - add support for keysignature and keysignature changes for the abc system
    - Disable speedlimit for default projectiles to fix inaccurate bullets
    - New craftable turrets based on healthire's mod
    - You can now land on asteroid fields, based on hints mod
    - Tech now has descriptive instructions
    - Tons of Christmas stuff!!
    - Pos no longer 1 hit kill you
    - You can no longer breath on moons or asteroid fields without the proper equipment
    - Better fix fall damage
    - New barren planets perfect for building
    - Gravity now varies from planet to planet
    - Some planet backgrounds improved
    - Existing biomes can appear with different liquid types
    - You can now craft racial flags, to show you've been to a planet
    - NPCs will now switch to melee weapons up close
    - More random encounters
    - Pos can now be captured
    - Wiring station can now be built to access to a ton of different wiring tools
    - fixed mech legs
    - tons of server improvements
    - more

Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    I think if they added some ship customization instead, it would solve the feeling of "no point in building anything anywhere". And to solve the other part (i.e. building on planets being pointless) could be to make unique NPC's to each planet that moves into your buildings, and they could sell you rare stuff or allow you to hire a companion or something.
    KINDA less pointless now at least!!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    NPCs already exist. I already populated two villages on two different planets. But they are gone now. Stupid beta wipes. I mean, it's beta, they test things. You have three NPC types to spawn, civilian, guardian and merchant (i guess his spawner can be found in chests), if developers will be satisfied with them, they will add diversity, like "civ1 type will dig holes", "civ2 type will plant seeds" (i hope). But now they just test mechanism of NPCs (and i heard that they plan to add quest giver NPCs).

And i find it boring to not build anything on planets you go. I, for example, build mines out of wood and stone, place boxes with ore and dirt, and i have a list of paper with coordinates of planets i already visited (i hope they will add some kind of scanner and space journal to do this ingame)

I wonder if i can make village on moon, and do i need helmets for my citizens to breath.
    Last edited by Charge me Doctor; 2013-12-24 at 05:55 AM.
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

I find the plants to be rather small tbh.
    Itd be nice to upgrade and expand your ship to become way more huge.

I share the "pointless to build on planets" feel.

After the last beta wipe, i ended up on an asteroid field- crazy.

Well, now that we can teleport to homeworld from anywhere in the universe, there IS a point in building a base on your home planet.
    And with the introduction of Stargates there will be a point in building on other planets too. Especially in multiplayer. Imagine - a server with a homeworld that sports a huge space base with numerous stargates to every type of planet and different threat levels. Awesome, I say.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    Problem is that I dont want to use pixels, i want to use materials.
    Yep. That's the largest problem with the system and everything else I talked about stems from that. Terraria has currency, but it has specific and limited use. Buying specific items/mats from the vendors, reforging gear, and really that's about it. Pixels on the other hand are an arbitrary cost tacked on to every single game activity as an afterthought. It's more enjoyable to gather specific materials and learn new recipes than to simply farm pixels and pay pixels. Especially with super inflated prices.
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bbr View Post
    I find the plants to be rather small tbh.
    Itd be nice to upgrade and expand your ship to become way more huge.

I share the "pointless to build on planets" feel.

After the last beta wipe, i ended up on an asteroid field- crazy.
    http://starbounder.org/Ship_Upgrade
    already in work

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    Yep. That's the largest problem with the system and everything else I talked about stems from that. Terraria has currency, but it has specific and limited use. Buying specific items/mats from the vendors, reforging gear, and really that's about it. Pixels on the other hand are an arbitrary cost tacked on to every single game activity as an afterthought. It's more enjoyable to gather specific materials and learn new recipes than to simply farm pixels and pay pixels. Especially with super inflated prices.
    well, since the tag "printed" is added to everything you copy with 3d printer, developers will probably make recipes for more furniture

Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    http://starbounder.org/Ship_Upgrade
    already in work

- - - Updated - - -

well, since the tag "printed" is added to everything you copy with 3d printer, developers will probably make recipes for more furniture
    That is quite sexy
    But still not big enough!
    I tend to build my houses like giant loot sorting pillars: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...s/?id=29095657

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bbr View Post
    That is quite sexy
    But still not big enough!
    I tend to build my houses like giant loot sorting pillars: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...s/?id=29095657
    That's amazing. I've usually make a basement with huge amount of chests in it placed on different levels on wooden platforms =P
    Feel free to build that on your home planet, why do you need all this stuff on spaceship? In new patch you can teleport to homeworld for free

No point while there's still the threat of wipes.
    Taking it slow on this game for now.

http://playstarbound.com/info-about-the-upcoming-patch/

No more character wipes after this patch! Yay!

I'll get back to playing more seriously once this goes live.