Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    "That's the way it is and we can't go against nature."
    Marriage isn't part of nature.

Quote Originally Posted by Alakir the Windlord View Post
    What are those people thinking? Just because gay marriege is legalized doesn't mean that men and woman will stop marying each other.
    Haven't you heard? Homosexuality is contagious.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeavline View Post
    You are declaring your love for another person with God, Jesus and the holy ghost as your witness, to love and cherish each other in this life and the next. It doesn't become more religious than that imo.
    Sorry pumpkin bro, but you seem to be forgetting 2 things here:
    - marriage is a big fat tax break. Like, massive.
    - equality of people is kind of a big deal when it comes to dragging our sorry-ass civilization in the upward direction. People want to be able to do the same things as other people. Super simple stuff.

The Church will not allow two dudes (or gals) to marry, but that's not what's at stake here. The bill being passed is for the government to recognize gay marriage, not to have Bobby and Freddy be blessed by the priest.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mionelol View Post
    Vocal minority doesn't even describe it fully. It's even smaller than a vocal minority.
    This is just overhyped shit because this is the kind of news that sell.
    Gay people are a vocal minority.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eats Compost View Post
    Have you not been paying attention? Even the OP has an example; gay couples currently can't adopt a child in France.
    Still makes no sense to me fighting over such a pointless thing as marriage. Why not fight for equal rights for humans, no matter of social standing, color or sexual orientation. Bet more shit could be done that way. Anyways, I'm awfully negative to these sort of conducts, better I don't argue about them :>

Quote Originally Posted by Nodata View Post
    snip
    Should be fighting to ban marriage altogether then, people obviously doesn't marry for the right reason.

As I said, fuck this shit. I'm just getting annoyed.

Wow, just please close this thread. It's against forum rules.

What benefits? There are absolutely 0 benefits with marriage unless you live in the states where it could be a potential fortune shrine.
    Several countries gives benefit to you being legally married. As of in france, apperently adopting a kid.
    I don't know frances laws, but in other countries it also matter economically if your married partner dies. If you're just somebody that lives together with the person you can be pretty much fucked over economically, on top of losing the one you loved :P

100.000 is a rather big gathering, but as some mentioned, it's only a little part of the entire population.

I think it was Sweden that looked into the welfare of kids of same-gender couples, and overall came to the conclusion that the kids were more confident than their "normal" counterparts. No downsides from what i recall.
    Probably not from the parents being gay, but being raised by people that have the confidence to go against the norm and be in an openly gay relationship might have some impact.

Edit : Fixed wrong quoting.
    Last edited by Terridon; 2012-11-18 at 12:29 PM.
    Everyone has so much to say
    They talk talk talk their lives away

Quote Originally Posted by Terridon View Post
    Several countries gives benefit to you being legally married. As of in france, apperently adopting a kid.
    I don't know frances laws, but in other countries it also matter economically if your married partner dies. If you're just somebody that lives together with the person you can be pretty much fucked over economically, on top of losing the one you loved :P
    Oh yes, I'm very aware of that. I was just pointing out that they were ignorant to what rights were being referred to, despite an example being right in front of them.

Props to the guy for actually keeping an election promise. How many people even do that these days?
    I'll bite: Obamacare.

Quote Originally Posted by andordrakon View Post
    Gay people are a vocal minority.
    +1

Good to see that there are still some people in Western Europe which are not brainwashed by leftist & gay propaganda.

Still makes no sense to me fighting over such a pointless thing as marriage. Why not fight for equal rights for humans, no matter of social standing, color or sexual orientation. Bet more shit could be done that way. Anyways, I'm awfully negative to these sort of conducts, better I don't argue about them :>
    Equal rights for everyone would imply that everyone has equal right to marry. You're not making much sense here.

Should be fighting to ban marriage altogether then, people obviously doesn't marry for the right reason.

As I said, fuck this shit. I'm just getting annoyed.
    And now you're missing the point entirely.

Deleted
    Equal rights for everyone would imply that everyone has equal right to marry. You're not making much sense here.

And now you're missing the point entirely.
    I don't wanna argue about it. But it became very clear that it has nothing to do with the right to marriage and everything to do with the benefits of marriage. Remove those benefits or give them to couples regardless of marriage then, wouldn't that be a much better deal to fight for?

Quote Originally Posted by Saft View Post
    I hope the police gets really violent with these people. This is ridiculous, why is gay marriage such a big deal?
    Whether you agree or not with their opinion, they are entitled to have it and voice it. Encouraging violence kinda puts you a few steps below what they are doing. Think before you strike with the pen next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Valort View Post
    I'll bite: Obamacare.
    What I said was more of a general silly remark about politicians and dishonesty than it was a serious claim.

Deleted
    A 100.000 people demonstration is not much according to Paris standards.
    Loads of demonstrations are taking place here.
    On other issues (education, pensions, ...) you can easily have 1 or 1.5 millions people demonstrating

basically, this is just the vocal left-wing catholic minority

I don't wanna argue about it. But it became very clear that it has nothing to do with the right to marriage and everything to do with the benefits of marriage. Remove those benefits or give them to couples regardless of marriage then, wouldn't that be a much better deal to fight for?
    And the protesters in question are also protesting against giving such rights to same-sex couples, such as the ability to adopt.

The most significant anti-gay marriage lobbies are also anti-gay rights lobbies. The two are one in the same, which is why you can't just dismiss them as separate issues the way you have.

Indeed. The problem is that when you say "government should get the hell out of marriage", everyone who is married and reaping the benefits get really antsy about it. Including previously excluded minorities is a lot more palatable than redoing the whole system from the ground up.

The fundamental problem is that you can't sign a document that gives you the same legal rights as married people without actually being married.

(Or that married people gain rights based on their social standing in the first place, whichever you prefer.)

Quote Originally Posted by Raqubor View Post
    Wow, just please close this thread. It's against forum rules.
    How so? I've just read the rules and nothing forbids this kind of thread. And no marriage as a concept isn't a religious thing, definitely not christian since marriage existed way before Christianity was born.

On-topic: I see where the protesters are coming from they believe children raised by same-sex couples would have disadvantages both socially and emotionally. As for the marriage part they find it insulting as they view it from a religious point of view.

I disagree with both, but that doesn't give me the right to insult their opinions. Homosexuality has always been a rather controversial subject throughout history. In ancient Greece for example it was not uncommon for a man to lay with another man and aside from a few laughs nobody really cared, but even "gay men" still got married for society's sake and of course the babies. Now we live in a time where society has become (a tiny bit) more accepting of gay couples and we have several alternatives to traditional childbirth through adoption, IVF and other heretic concepts. The question is just if the acceptance has evolved enough over 2000 years just so gay people can enjoy the concept of family the same way straight people can without being discriminated against financially and socially.

Deleted
    And the protesters in question are also protesting against giving such rights to same-sex couples, such as the ability to adopt.

The most significant anti-gay marriage lobbies are also anti-gay rights lobbies. The two are one in the same, which is why you can't just dismiss them as separate issues the way you have.
    Yes, idiots with other words. I'm not homosexual and I will certainly never marry, the former has a bigger likelihood to occur than the latter.
    So I think my thoughts on the subject are misplaced and I should just leave this to people who care. Ciao :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyoXx View Post
    A 100.000 people demonstration is not much according to Paris standards.
    Loads of demonstrations are taking place here.
    On other issues (education, pensions, ...) you can easily have 1 or 1.5 millions people demonstrating

basically, this is just the vocal left-wing catholic minority
    Pretty much this, 100k ppl is nothing, we have the same amount of people doing the annual marathon...