Deleted

Future narwhal build questions

Hi there , in few days i will got enough money to build a narwhal so i m here and got few questions
    If it can help you i live in france ( And my english suxx btw )

Here the differents parts :
    Case Cooler Master HAF 912
    Will got the plus version or the XM ( love it )

Power Supply Corsair 650TX V2
    Why not a cheaper with ~same spec ? 5 years warantly worth the cost ?

CPU Intel i5-3570K
    Ok

Heatsink Thermaltake Frio
    Read some reviews and he seems to be very loud , but high quality/price ?

Motherboard ASUS P8Z77-V LK
    Don t know much on cm so it's ok

Memory 8GB G.Skill DDR3 1600
    Same

Graphics Card XFX 7870 (7950) OR GIGABYTE GTX 660 Ti
    Probably buy the 7950 msi twin fozr

Hard Drive Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black
    Why this one ? The WD Blue ( same brand ) with same capacity same velocity and same cache is like ~20€ cheaper but have only 2 years warantly , is this the only difference ?

SSD SAMSUNG 840 128GB
    OR OCZ 128 GB Vertex 4
    Will probably take the cheaper

DVD Asus 24X SATA DVD+/-RW
    Mine is old ( like 6 or more years ) do i need to change it ? I don't really use dvd or cd

If you have other suggestion i will apreciate , i have no really budget but i want to spend the less for the best .
    Actually i play mainly wow/diablo/Lol but with this comp i will play some gpu type games .

Finally i need a monitor but i can t find the chaud's choices in france . Want a 22" or more ( prefer more ) for less than 200€ .

I really thank you in advance

Edit : cheap things like anti vibration worth it ?
    Last edited by mmoca481d478a8; 2012-11-18 at 03:28 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    For WoW/Diablo/LoL a 7950 is pretty overkill, a 7850/7870/660/660 Ti is more than good enough. But if you plan on playing heavier games like first person shooters later then keep the 7950

CPU cooler - TT Frio is a solid cooler for the price, but also check out Silver Arrow or Noctua D14 (a bit more expensive in France perhaps, dunno). Corsair H50/H60 are also great closed-loop coolers which don't use huge tower blocks, they use space far more efficiently. Personally I love closed loop coolers, they're typically less of a hassle to install as well. Check them out.

I can imagine a Corsair TX650v2 could run pretty expensive, plus you don't need anywhere near that much wattage for your build...
    Check these out these models:
    • Antec Neo Eco 520w
    • Seasonic M12II 520w

I dunno which store you're using so sorry for not including links, but I'm sure most decent PC stores will have the stuff I have mentioned so far, just look up the models (or link us your store and we'll search them there, language is never a barrier in PC building hehe :P).

Other than that everything looks solid. Case is great, mobo is great, can't go wrong with either SSD, HDD is great, memory is fine. After all Narwhal was is one of the builds put together by one of our group :P
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2012-11-18 at 08:25 PM.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Deleted
    First thank you

7950 will last more times ( and like i said i will play some gpu games ) , i ve got a 9600gt since 4-5 years , want a beast now héhé .

Other cpu cooler are 15-20€ more so frio i come

If 650w is overkill why this psu in the build ? Warantly ? Future sli/cfi ? And why this 650w psu if not for the warantly ? Some 650 are cheaper .
    If the 650 is for sli and sli is a good way to upgrade a pc so i can spend some more € on it for future upgrade .

I use the google shopping search and choose store in wich i trust among the cheaper . The antec one is cheap

Thanks again

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xeru View Post
    If 650w is overkill why this psu in the build ? Warantly ? Future sli/cfi ? And why this 650w psu if not for the warantly ? Some 650 are cheaper .
    If the 650w for sli and sli is a good way to upgrade a pc so i can spend some more € on it for future upgrade.
    The 650w was most likely in there for SLI/Crossfire in the future and also because Corsair is just below Seasonic as one of the best PSU companies for reliabilty/warranty.

SLI is a good way to upgrade ONLY if the games you play happily work with SLI. WoW/Diablo/LoL gain almost nothing from two graphics cards, Diablo/LoL won't even use the second card. SLI/Crossfire can also give some issues when it comes to stablity in games, some games do NOT like 2 cards especially brand new games when they are released. You have to wait for new drivers to come out, or play with older drivers/settings, etc. Most MMORPG's work best with a single card.

As a rule of thumb buy the best single card you can afford, and then USE that single card for as long as possible, and when you have to upgrade grab a new single card. I think an HD7950 will last you a fairly long time. It can easily handle what you play now, and stuff like Crysis/BF3 will also run smoothly at high settings @ 1080p. You can easily use it for ~2+ years and then upgrade to a GTX770/HD8950 when the time comes
    I use the google shopping search and choose store in wich i trust among the cheaper . The antec one is cheap
    Thanks again
    The Antec one is great, the Seasonic is a bit higher quality, in the end both are excellent PSU's and more than enough for a build with a single graphics card.
    But you really plan to crossfire then yeah, you'll probably need a 600-650w...

Deleted
    You're helping me a lot

At the first read i miss the corsair H60 , it's ~5 more € only .
    H60 looks really great ! I can put it on top of the case in the empty fan zone . Those sort of cpu cooler are really good ? Better in this case than a classic cpu cooler in direction of an other fan who extract the air outside the case ? Cause it s directly out of the case with the h60 so i can imagine the cpu heat don t "disturb" other parts .

Will think a bit about the psu .

Thank you for taking the time to help me !

10+ Year Old Account
    You're helping me a lot

At the first read i miss the corsair H60 , it's ~5 more € only .
    H60 looks really great ! I can put it on top of the case in the empty fan zone . Those sort of cpu cooler are really good ? Better in this case than a classic cpu cooler in direction of an other fan who extract the air outside the case ? Cause it s directly out of the case with the h60 so i can imagine the cpu heat don t "disturb" other parts .

Will think a bit about the psu .

Thank you for taking the time to help me !
    Yup, at the moment some companies have stopped trying to innovate big metal tower coolers and they're all getting into closed-loop water coolers, like H60.

You can pretty much install the radiator anywhere you can put a 120mm fan. With a HAF912 I would install the H60 as intake on the rear, and put the 120mm rear fan that comes with the case as the top exhaust.

Basically like this:

(except that 200mm fan on top will be your 120mm, close to the cooler).

Deleted
    Money will come later then expected ( like 3 weeks ) so i have some times to think about my future build .

Here is a sale on pc15000 memory , they cost the same than pc12800
    ww w.materiel.net/barrette-memoire-pour-pc/kingston-kit-ddr3-2-x-4-go-pc15000-hyperx-predator-81545.html
    I imagine it's a gain ( even little ) in performance right ?

Is mobo thunderbolt worth something ? I read things on it but don't really have the answer ?

The Sabertooth Z77 with a thermal shield and mini fans can make the whole pc be oc on a higher level so the cost of this mobo ( instead of a cheaper one ) worth it ?

Also i think of some "originals" things like eyefinity or 3d vision .
    I can use 3 monitors in games and 2 otherwise ( movie + internet ) but the third one seems like a waste ...
    So what about 3d ? I read some reviews , nvidia>amd , amd>nvidia ... What the point ? If i buy a 120hz monitor i just have to buy glasses and let's go ? Active with nvidia and passive with amd , am i wrong ?

Thank you

10+ Year Old Account
    Here is a sale on pc15000 memory , they cost the same than pc12800
    ww w.materiel.net/barrette-memoire-pour-pc/kingston-kit-ddr3-2-x-4-go-pc15000-hyperx-predator-81545.html
    I imagine it's a gain ( even little ) in performance right ?
    No, the performance "gain" is not you will notice compared to 1600mhz RAM (PC12800). Plus that kit you linked is 1.65v, I personally don't like to go above 1.5v because 1.65v puts more strain on the memory controller, not the most helpful thing when you're overclocking your CPU.
    Stick with your G.Skill DDR3 1600mhz RAM, it will have tighter timings and most likely be 1.5v.

Is mobo thunderbolt worth something ? I read things on it but don't really have the answer ?
    Do you have Thunderbolt devices or see yourself getting any in the future? If not, there's no point. USB3 and eSata are fast enough unless you are constantly transferring HUGE files (terrabytes at a time), in which case you would need to get yourself a Thunderbolt-based external drive or something. Do you do a lot of that?

The Sabertooth Z77 with a thermal shield and mini fans can make the whole pc be oc on a higher level so the cost of this mobo ( instead of a cheaper one ) worth it ?
    Compared to your original P8Z77-V LK? Nope, they will overclock more or less the same. Sabertooth's slightly superior VRMs will only matter at extremely high 24/7 overclocks (say 4.8-5ghz+) and trust me, that is pointless for just gamers like you and me. Plus you would need crazy good cooling.
    The main point of the Sabertooth is that it looks awesome, if you have a case with a side window or something and love making your build look fancy & clean (and you have some money to throw) then that's the board. Otherwise no, too expensive!

Also i think of some "originals" things like eyefinity or 3d vision.

I can use 3 monitors in games and 2 otherwise ( movie + internet ) but the third one seems like a waste ...
    So what about 3d ? I read some reviews , nvidia>amd , amd>nvidia ... What the point ? If i buy a 120hz monitor i just have to buy glasses and let's go ? Active with nvidia and passive with amd , am i wrong ?

Thank you
    Eeeeeh 3D...not my thing personally. I couldn't tell you whether AMD or nVidia is better with 3D.
    Triple-monitors is out of the question, you would be running games at 5760x1080 and a single HD7950 is just not enough. You would need nothing short of an overclocked HD7970 Ghz edition or an SLI/Crossfire setup to get games running smoothly, and even then you'll have to cut down settings. Just stick with a single monitor, 2 at the most (1 for games, 1 for other stuff).

I use a single 120hz monitor (Asus VG236H) powered by a GTX660 Ti. My main reason for using a 120hz is not for the 3D (3D sucks), but because it can refresh at 120 frames per second which is awesome in fast-paced games.
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2012-11-22 at 04:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    Do you have Thunderbolt devices or see yourself getting any in the future? If not, there's no point. USB3 and eSata are fast enough unless you are constantly transferring HUGE files (terrabytes at a time), in which case you would need to get yourself a Thunderbolt-based external drive or something. Do you do a lot of that?
    I read that Thunderbolt was designed as a 1 port replacement for HDMI, USB and eSATA. Currently, its primarily for portable computing (eg. laptops, tablets) and Apple is the primary company that uses it.
    Last edited by yurano; 2012-11-22 at 04:39 AM.

Deleted
    You're very helpfull xuvial .
    Memory ok , mobo ok .
    I was thinking that yurano said was going to happen sooner than that , so thunderbolt not for me .
    For triple monitor and the gpu concern i don't have a budget for this build ( but the ~narwhal seems to be what i need/want ) and i was aware the 7970 ghz would be better for eyefinity but i will just use my actual 19" and buy a biggest one ( 3d or not don't know at the moment ) .

And cause i don't really have a budget i'm open to suggestions for more upgrades or just change things in the current build ( but xuvial did a good job here ) .

Have no more question for the moment thanks guys ! Just have to view more reviews on 3d .

ps : just see cm store have refurbished cases with waranty , love the haf X and the storm trooper <3