Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Blizzard often does this naming thingy, calling Manticore looking creatures "Wyvern". Mixing Wyvern, Dragons, Drake.
    Gnome / Goblin and the various names for them are used too.
    The Trolls in WoW resemble more a "Grendle" or his Southern world counterpart, bloodthirsty, long armed monsters often with blue and green skin, they eat man and are known as wild beasts.

I don't bother with it, because of one simple reason. It does not make sense to bother, all of them, it doesnt matter how they are called by games, folklore or other are completely made up by human imagination.

If the Manticore's in Azeroth are called Wyvern, some smart ass Tauren or other Race tought about a damn name and came up with "Let's call this dude's Wyvern".
    Besides... Wyvern are able to talk like humanoids, so they dont seem to bother with their name too.

Those manticores have 6 limbs, though. 4 legs and two wings.

WoW wyvern only have 4. Like, er, pretty much all wyvern.

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    Those manticores have 6 limbs, though. 4 legs and two wings.

WoW wyvern only have 4. Like, er, pretty much all wyvern.
    thts just because blizzard decided to give them weird legs
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

I thought you would point out how WoW wyvern looks like our manticore. But, lets just say that at the time wyvern came into play, proto-dragons were not there. And there is a difference between proto drakes and Wyvern as well. Wyvern has llonger, dragon-like neck.
    And at the end of the day, it is their wolrd, so they can call it whatever they chose.

Quote Originally Posted by Flutterguy View Post

OP...This is a white dragon.

So I say to you...what's in a name?

This is a green dragon, a monstrous and sadistic creature from the very depths of hell.
    Strength Determination Merciless Forever

Armory

Troll

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    What would you call them? They need some name. I don't think the orcs were looking at some RPG book to name them back in the day.
    Manticore is probably the closest mythological creature that windriders resemble.
    @dA
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleuh
    Since the invention of the internet, the Earth`s rotation has been solely propelled by english teachers turning in their graves.

Quote Originally Posted by Firecrest View Post
    God forbid we let someone use their imagination when describing a FANTASY creature. It's comforting to know the Fantasy Police are on the case, making sure everyone's imagination comforms to their accepted norm.

Blizzard can call their shit whatever they want to call it and make it look however they want. If I made up my own freaking world where Elves were short bearded creatures and Dwarves were tall and had pointy ears, that would be fucking fine because it's my goddamn world.
    You mad bro? People typically have a set image in their mind of what something looks like, mostly thanks to 2 things: Lord of the Rings/Tolkien and Dungeons and Dragons/Gary Gygax. If something deviates from the expected, people get annoyed. And sometimes, people get angry and think the person who deviated is a moron. Not to mention, THERE ARE REAL WORLD DWARVES so your tall pointy eared dwarves would make people think you are a moron because you deviated from the expected and look like a hipster douche.

And when people think of dragons, they think of 1 of 2 things: this or this. If I created a world with a creature called a dragon, and I described it looking like this: http://www.awf.org/files/3904_file_hedgehog1.jpg, then people would think I was dumb and trying to be different.

Despite what people may think about fantasy, there are expectations of what things look like. When someone says dragon, the image that pops into your mind is one of the 2 images I linked. When someone says elf, you either think of Legolas (majority) or you think of the Keebler Elves types. Gnomes? Most people will think of the lawn gnomes.

Quote Originally Posted by Pachycrocuta View Post
    You mad bro? People typically have a set image in their mind of what something looks like, mostly thanks to 2 things: Lord of the Rings/Tolkien and Dungeons and Dragons/Gary Gygax. If something deviates from the expected, people get annoyed. And sometimes, people get angry and think the person who deviated is a moron. Not to mention, THERE ARE REAL WORLD DWARVES so your tall pointy eared dwarves would make people think you are a moron because you deviated from the expected and look like a hipster douche.

And when people think of dragons, they think of 1 of 2 things: this or this. If I created a world with a creature called a dragon, and I described it looking like this: http://www.awf.org/files/3904_file_hedgehog1.jpg, then people would think I was dumb and trying to be different.

Despite what people may think about fantasy, there are expectations of what things look like. When someone says dragon, the image that pops into your mind is one of the 2 images I linked. When someone says elf, you either think of Legolas (majority) or you think of the Keebler Elves types. Gnomes? Most people will think of the lawn gnomes.
    Funny that you should mention Tolkein so much, considering the man pretty much redefined the popular conception of such fantasy creatures as dragons, dwarves and elves. I guess that means he was dumb for trying to be different.

It bears mentioning as well that there are actual animals called dragons, and they look nothing like either of your example pictures either.
    Last edited by Drilnos; 2012-11-20 at 07:33 PM.

I'm not mad. I'm fucking bitter. It's my default emotion after years and years of arguing over the fucking stupidest topics on the internet. A pastime which, for convoluted reasons I cannot fully explain, I actually really really enjoy.

If "people get annoyed" because my make believe world has dragons that look like hedgehogs, that's their own goddamn problem. The type of person who looks at my depiction of a pretend animal and goes "Hey, that's not how that really looks" is not the type of person whose opinion should be given any credence whatsoever.

I don't think it was you, but someone in this thread actually used the word "really" to describe the supposed correct depiction of a FAKE animal and that's just like... Well, you can't see it, but I'm shaking my fist at the screen right now.
    Last edited by Firecrest; 2012-11-20 at 08:45 PM.
    <WHAR LEWTS PLZ HALp>
    I'm bitter by default. Don't take it personally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    Either give an argument, or be automatically wrong. Your choice.

10+ Year Old Account

Asks someone else if they are mad, rants on for 3 paragraphs about why they are mad themselves...
    "Terror, darkness, power? The Forsaken crave not these things; the Forsaken ARE these things."

Keep in mind Wyverns aren't just dragons that only have two legs. As dragons can have 4 or two legs and still be dragons, there are certain thhings that makes something a wyvern.

Wyverns have two legs only. Are usually much smaller and not very intelligent compared to dragons as well as they usually have a scorpion barb on their tail and spit poison/acid (yet some do spit fire).

Wow Wyverns are really just a normal wyvern and replace the head with that of a lion and add fur.

I can agree with this a bit, no one would take calling a hedgehog a dragon as anything serious. The problem? You are arguing hedgehogs (a real life animal) and dragons (an iconic image)

As nerds, we know a lot about this random stuff, but if you showed a picture of a wyvern, most will say "dragon", and if you showed a picture of a manticore, most people would say "wtf" or "wyvern" (the last only because of WoWs long standing popularity among the mainstream).

This isn't an argument of a iconic thing being called something else, this is a argument about rather obscure creatures being called a name of something that is also obscure. The only people that are going to be annoyed by it are people that take obscure stuff like that way to seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Grocalis View Post
    I can agree with this a bit, no one would take calling a hedgehog a dragon as anything serious. The problem? You are arguing hedgehogs (a real life animal) and dragons (an iconic image)

As nerds, we know a lot about this random stuff, but if you showed a picture of a wyvern, most will say "dragon", and if you showed a picture of a manticore, most people would say "wtf" or "wyvern" (the last only because of WoWs long standing popularity among the mainstream).

This isn't an argument of a iconic thing being called something else, this is a argument about rather obscure creatures being called a name of something that is also obscure. The only people that are going to be annoyed by it are people that take obscure stuff like that way to seriously.
    Manticores are not that obscure, they appear in many fantasy games or other works.

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    A basilisk is a RL lizard too though

So Harry Potter is wrong, so is the majority of major myth concerning Basilisks, yknow, turning crap to stone and looking like Godzilla, instead of a tiny lizard that runs on water.

Also, many cultures consider one thing another, a wyvren may not be what another one calls a wyvren, etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    Manticores are not that obscure, they appear in many fantasy games or other works.
    Go up to someone on the street, ask them what a manticore is. I can bet you 9 out of 10 will at best do a "I heard that term before, what is it?" and the rest will just go "What?" All 10 would know what a dragon is.

Hell, I had not even heard the term Manticore in years, the streak only being broken most recently due to a statue mentioned during one quest in Torchlight 2.
    Last edited by Grocalis; 2012-11-20 at 09:17 PM.

Deleted
    Most wouldn't know what many mythical creatures are period, they're not common knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by leaks View Post
    Asks someone else if they are mad, rants on for 3 paragraphs about why they are mad themselves...
    Tries to post something witty, fails at reading comprehension.

10+ Year Old Account
    Tries to post something witty, fails at reading comprehension.
    Yes, you certainly did.
    "Terror, darkness, power? The Forsaken crave not these things; the Forsaken ARE these things."

Is this really a thread talking about the use of certain names for mythical creatures using other works of fiction as reference?

I mean with as many variations of dragons, trolls, elves, gnomes, dwarves, etc present in every fantasy setting.... I think it's a bit off to nitpick over wyvern not being wyverny enough.