Demonology Pet Observation.

Many guides suggest that for Demonology the Felguard/Wrathguard is the superior choice for DPS. So I sat down at a training dummy today and let each pet beat upon said dummy for 10 minutes.

Fel Imp: 18,179 DPS.
    Wrathguard: 11.407 DPS.
    Observer: 9,439 DPS.
    Void Lord: 9.240 DPS.
    Shivarra: 9,187 DPS.

I then sent the Wrathguard over to the triple dummies with Mortal Cleave auto-cast, and used Wrathstorm at every opportunity: 12,312 DPS.

Suspecting that the Wrathguard probably generates additional wrath, I took a stopwatch to count how long each pet took me to go from baseline to maximum.

Fel Imp: 425 seconds. (no need to move at all)
    Wrathguard: 428 seconds.
    Observer: 427 seconds.
    Void Lord 428 seconds.
    Shivarra: 426 seconds.

So I sent the Wrathguard back to the triple dummies, because it probably generates more wrath from hitting multiple targets: 427 seconds.

The minor variables are probably human error. Thoughts?

I believe there was some sort of bug relating to the imp and recount mentioned previously in another post, I'll have to check it out when I'm not on my phone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigmax View Post
    I believe there was some sort of bug relating to the imp and recount mentioned previously in another post, I'll have to check it out when I'm not on my phone.
    Yep, this is what's skewing your results. You should take a fixed time and see how much total damage a pet does (single dummy) and then repeat for all pets. You'll see that they are more into line with eachother then.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Iry View Post
    Many guides suggest that for Demonology the Felguard/Wrathguard is the superior choice for DPS. So I sat down at a training dummy today and let each pet beat upon said dummy for 10 minutes.

Fel Imp: 18,179 DPS.
    Wrathguard: 11.407 DPS.
    Observer: 9,439 DPS.
    Void Lord: 9.240 DPS.
    Shivarra: 9,187 DPS.

I then sent the Wrathguard over to the triple dummies with Mortal Cleave auto-cast, and used Wrathstorm at every opportunity: 12,312 DPS.

Suspecting that the Wrathguard probably generates additional wrath, I took a stopwatch to count how long each pet took me to go from baseline to maximum.

Fel Imp: 425 seconds. (no need to move at all)
    Wrathguard: 428 seconds.
    Observer: 427 seconds.
    Void Lord 428 seconds.
    Shivarra: 426 seconds.

So I sent the Wrathguard back to the triple dummies, because it probably generates more wrath from hitting multiple targets: 427 seconds.

The minor variables are probably human error. Thoughts?
    Wrathguard will do a bit more damage on AoE, but not too much. It's cleave generates fury per cast, not per hit, and it deals damage split amongst all targets (Thus, without Wrathstorm, itll do same amount of damage, no matter single target or AoE) Fel Storm helps a bit on burst AoE, but isn't noticable on sustained too much (1k difference as you see)

Wrathguard has the single weakness of lowering single target dps in any add situation (Itll do same damage, but less damage to the single add)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.

Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    Yep, this is what's skewing your results. You should take a fixed time and see how much total damage a pet does (single dummy) and then repeat for all pets. You'll see that they are more into line with eachother then.
    Apparently so! Total damage dealt over 10 minutes by the Fel Imp was 5,640,681 which equals 9,401 DPS. Comparable to the Non-Wrathguard pets!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigmax View Post
    Not a bug. If you test the Imp glyphed, recount just resets or ignores the pauses between bursts the same way it ignores Mage's Evocation because no damage is being dealt for so long.

Also, when testing on dummies you're unlikely to be fully raid buffed with a fully debuffed target, meaning while your Imp is getting Dark Intent and Curse of Elements bonuses, your Felguard will lack Attack Power and Physical Vulnerability.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    Not a bug. If you test the Imp glyphed, recount just resets or ignores the pauses between bursts the same way it ignores Mage's Evocation because no damage is being dealt for so long.
    After being told about the bug, I am pretty sure you are right.. Recount seems to forget the time between imp nukes because the delay is so long.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    Also, when testing on dummies you're unlikely to be fully raid buffed with a fully debuffed target, meaning while your Imp is getting Dark Intent and Curse of Elements bonuses, your Felguard will lack Attack Power and Physical Vulnerability.
    While everyone will have different numbers due to different stats, the numbers above do not reflect any buffs or debuffs at all.