Poll: Are you playing SWToR F2P?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Repefe View Post
    It's not really free if you have to give BW money to get it. On top of that since f2p and p2p models don't synergize well, it's weird that you have to do one to get currency for the other.
    Actually, they do. But as time goes on, the subscription's stipends value decreases as subscribers get the items they want.

Basically
    Subscriber receive a CC stipend which is best spent on f2p unlocks
    Which are sold on the GTN for 350k to preferred players

Sort of a trickle down effect.

The main problem with this model is that the more you improve your f2p account the harder it is to switch to subscriber as it would nullify your efforts.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Quote Originally Posted by hk-51 View Post
    Actually, they do. But as time goes on, the subscription's stipends value decreases as subscribers get the items they want.

Basically
    Subscriber receive a CC stipend which is best spent on f2p unlocks
    Which are sold on the GTN for 350k to preferred players

Sort of a trickle down effect.

The main problem with this model is that the more you improve your f2p account the harder it is to switch to subscriber as it would nullify your efforts.
    They don't synergize well. There is some synergy, but as you mention once you switch from p2p to f2p, after some unlocks switching back feels like a waste.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    We both love both games I'm sure, but please do not ever say something like this again.
    I am a huge literature and lore person, so reading that statement makes my heart hurt. Please, never again.
    Okay, let me rephrase this!

I meant to say, the feeling of finally getting the kill was compared to when I got my first H LK. By feeling, I mean the excitement where I literally just wanted to stay logged for no reason at all and couldn't sleep because I was too pumped up.

Lorewise, Lich King was fantastic and nothing in SWTOR will beat that because all of the WoW fanboys from the Warcraft series (I'm included in 'fanboys' department for this) lived for the sole purpose of killing Arthas and NOTHING will beat that awesome moment when he fell to the ground.

Again, just the sheer amount of time and effort in dissecting mechanics is what I was referring to. You know its great content when the boss improves your guild, instead of your guild facerolling through it. We were literally dissecting every minuscule aspect of the fight in order to squeeze out 100-200 more DPS, etc. Thats what I meant!

Sorry for the misunderstanding!

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Forsedar View Post
    Again, just the sheer amount of time and effort in dissecting mechanics is what I was referring to. You know its great content when the boss improves your guild, instead of your guild facerolling through it. We were literally dissecting every minuscule aspect of the fight in order to squeeze out 100-200 more DPS, etc. Thats what I meant!

Sorry for the misunderstanding!
    Ok, all is right with the world again. While they do have some good stories, and the movies had some pretty epic moments, we have yet to have something comparable in SWTOR. If they hadn't cheesed Revan into a b.s. FP, then we could have had that moment. Hopefully there is something like that coming in the future.

In fact, they should honestly retcon Revan out of the FP and give us an entire expansion devoted to finding him and his return and have us kill him as he flipped off the deepend...aided by none other than Satele to bring a very Arthasy type story to this game. I need to write up a script for this and send it to them for a job pronto.

I've yet to give it a shot as F2P, so can't say atm, but hoping it'll still be a decent experience.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok, all is right with the world again. While they do have some good stories, and the movies had some pretty epic moments, we have yet to have something comparable in SWTOR. If they hadn't cheesed Revan into a b.s. FP, then we could have had that moment. Hopefully there is something like that coming in the future.

In fact, they should honestly retcon Revan out of the FP and give us an entire expansion devoted to finding him and his return and have us kill him as he flipped off the deepend...aided by none other than Satele to bring a very Arthasy type story to this game. I need to write up a script for this and send it to them for a job pronto.
    MMO players love drama :/ thats what we need.

I've actually been jumping back in to do some huttball. Still the most fun I have in pvp in any game. I've been thinking about subbing again though since my bro decided to try it out now that it's F2P and ended up subbing. He tried the game when it came out it couldn't even run on his system on low. Now he's playing fine on medium. So they definitely made tons of improvements with how it runs.
    The generalist looks outward; he looks for living principles, knowing full well that such principles change, that they develop. It is to the characteristics of change itself that the mentat-generalist must look. There can be no permanent catalogue of such change, no handbook or manual. You must look at it with as few preconceptions as possible, asking yourself, "Now what is this thing doing?" -Children of Dune

Keep in mind you can lift those restrictions as preferred without spending money.
    i would already be preferred status since i formerly subscribed but the restrictions on preferred are still only a bit lighter than full f2p. it still has limited experience, limited chatting, limited trading, limited mailing, limited action bars, the only two things on the whole list that preferred status has a "full triangle" on instead of partial or no triangle is story content and sprinting.
    "Just because you read it on the internet, doesn't mean the person actually said it." - Thomas Jefferson

I have recently returned, and it is awesome!

I logged in, tried to play my 50 Inquisitor and my 44 Agent, and got too frustrated by the lack of hotbars. Also, I had over 5 million credits on my Inquisitor, but it capped me at 350k. I was not happy to see that.
    Have you heard of the critically acclaimed MMORPG Final Fantasy XIV? With an expanded free trial which you can play through the entirety of A Realm Reborn and the award winning Heavensward expansion up to level 60 for free with no restrictions on playtime?

Quote Originally Posted by hellosaltygoodness View Post
    i would already be preferred status since i formerly subscribed but the restrictions on preferred are still only a bit lighter than full f2p. it still has limited experience, limited chatting, limited trading, limited mailing, limited action bars, the only two things on the whole list that preferred status has a "full triangle" on instead of partial or no triangle is story content and sprinting.
    Yep. And you can lift many of those restrictions without spending money.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Quote Originally Posted by Leadsop View Post
    So you're mad...

...that you have to pay...

...to get something for free...

...that the people playing for free...

...don't receive?

---------- Post added 2012-11-29 at 12:42 PM ----------

I agree Forsedar. My guild is on your server on Republic side, and as far as I know, is the only Republic guild on our server even attempting 16-man NiM tanks.

We got them to 15% last night... *DAMMIT*
    Man I can't believe you're really that dense. They didn't tell me resubscribe to get a bonus they told me I'll get it because I bought the game and paid a sub previously. Then last minute they say oops you gotta pay us too. Screw that. Be honest up front and stop lying to people.

Yes I am mad they did this farce to the game I love. You want people to subscribe then leave it as a subscription game, you want to have a F2P option do it right. This 1/2 @$$ thing they're doing does nothing but hurt the game. And FYI: If they didn't go F2P I'd still be a subscriber so it's not about paying the $15. I dislike Cash Shops and how EA implemented this F2P thing I wouldn't even bother playing casually. They can keep their CC because I'm not giving them jack squat else with this farce of a hybrid model.

I feel you there man. Revan should of been part of a 5 part Operation or something, tied into a quest line that spanned all the planets.

Am I the only one that's having trouble keeping up with leveling XP now? I'm a subscriber, mind you, but this is the first time I've played since the server merges, and I'm finding it nearly impossible to complete bonus quests without really going out of my way or camping an area for a while to do them. Skipping them, I'm falling behind on XP quickly, even as a subscriber, and I see that free to play players get even less. I have no interest at all in grouping with other players for FPs, heroics, or any of that, I just want to see the stories. Skipping group content worked fine when I was the only person on a planet, but it doesn't seem to be now. Is this no longer a viable way to play? If not, my return to SWTOR will be sadly short.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Itisamuh View Post
    Am I the only one that's having trouble keeping up with leveling XP now? I'm a subscriber, mind you, but this is the first time I've played since the server merges, and I'm finding it nearly impossible to complete bonus quests without really going out of my way or camping an area for a while to do them. Skipping them, I'm falling behind on XP quickly, even as a subscriber, and I see that free to play players get even less. I have no interest at all in grouping with other players for FPs, heroics, or any of that, I just want to see the stories. Skipping group content worked fine when I was the only person on a planet, but it doesn't seem to be now. Is this no longer a viable way to play? If not, my return to SWTOR will be sadly short.
    I levelled my Sorceror from 30 to 50 in the last couple of weeks and i had no problem,i've already hit 50 and i still have 2/3 of corellia to do and i didnt do any of the group quests.

did you do the Bonus Series available on the planets? some of them require you to go back to to other plants, (alderaan, hoth, Nar shadaa) others are available when you finish the zone, (Balmorra, Taris, Tatooine, Voss)

Yep. And you can lift many of those restrictions without spending money.
    That does not answer why are there such restrictions in the first place. What BW has done is they took the original $60 price tag and divided it into f2p unlocks, a lot of f2p unlocks. Now ok, you can bypass spending money if you find somebody willing to sell you unlock for the limited pool of credits you have, but that is all in the realm of negative motivation. You are not buying yourself luxury stuff, you are buying yourself what you are used to get by default. It makes sense if you buy that stuff for credits, but for $$ ppl expect luxury, not basic stuff. Basic stuff should be pooled in the initial price of the game if developer is not willing to give it f2p.

With the recent changes to preferred status you can comfortably quest your heart out in TOR without unlocking anything besides the preferred status itself. Now the question is will BW make more money offering these unlocks or would they make more money if they gave f2p players better experience and offered skins for gear, companions, ships, mounts, new ship weapons, new dlc quest lines, new mounts, new minis, new raids ... stuff like that.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Repefe View Post
    With the recent changes to preferred status you can comfortably quest your heart out in TOR without unlocking anything besides the preferred status itself. Now the question is will BW make more money offering these unlocks or would they make more money if they gave f2p players better experience and offered skins for gear, companions, ships, mounts, new ship weapons, new dlc quest lines, new mounts, new minis, new raids ... stuff like that.
    I mean unfortunately you hit it on the head. Even though the system is smoothing out a lot for me, it's still a bad mentality that they aren't looking to get out of. They should have been proactively looking to contribute to the game instead of take away from it in order to earn money.

Even though I won't personally complain about being able to buy unlocks with credits, I still have found it impossible to find what you really need on Jedi Covenant,...and this is checking every day. I've only managed to get an account section X and an account bag expansion for very good prices. Most of the things that people want to unlock are never on there. Authorizations don't exist or are priced at 1-3million...which is insane. The other minor option (that are still important) like hide helm, color match, etc are never on the GTN at all.

It's definitely not perfect. It still would be greater if gameplay directly translated to Cartel Coins, but that's not going to happen. Hopefully they add things like character customization, server transfers, and other account services to replace the restrictions at some point. It would make them more money and would be a lot better for consumers.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyUK View Post
    I levelled my Sorceror from 30 to 50 in the last couple of weeks and i had no problem,i've already hit 50 and i still have 2/3 of corellia to do and i didnt do any of the group quests.

did you do the Bonus Series available on the planets? some of them require you to go back to to other plants, (alderaan, hoth, Nar shadaa) others are available when you finish the zone, (Balmorra, Taris, Tatooine, Voss)
    Yeah I know about the bonus series and all that, I played quite a bit around launch. But this is with a new set of characters for a different server. By the time I finished Dromund Kaas I was barely level 14, as opposed to 16 or 17 like I used to be when doing bonus quests was not so inconvenient. I just worry that would continue to snowball further and further behind.

Its all about class balance or lack of for me, BW showed they can not do it and will not do it and like many others I am gone forever. This title is jinxed NGE then 1.2 :/

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Itisamuh View Post
    Yeah I know about the bonus series and all that, I played quite a bit around launch. But this is with a new set of characters for a different server. By the time I finished Dromund Kaas I was barely level 14, as opposed to 16 or 17 like I used to be when doing bonus quests was not so inconvenient. I just worry that would continue to snowball further and further behind.
    hmm that does sound ridiculously low, im often level 11 by the time i start DK and ive levlled a new PT from 0 to play with a FTP friend since the F2P options, not doing any of the group stuff on DK (but doing the ones on starter planets) and were 17 and just leaving DK.

Do you do all of the non group quests, do you do the bonus objectives? Theres so many Q's around DK, The revan people, The temple, the statue and Grathams estate, so it should give ample exp.

f2p has some of the same issues that caused me to unsub awhile back. The primary issue is none of my friends are playing TOR. The next is population, just from reading threads here, still seems low. Then the kicker, after logging into my account at SWTOR.com I read the restrictions and was turned off by them. To be honest, wasn't sure what I was expecting from f2p, but the current format wasn't it.

When I first heard about f2p I was curious about it. After reading what you got, I was meh. I liked the game when I played it, aside from no one online, but now I'll do other things with my money.