Page 29 of 62 FirstFirst ...
19
27
28
29
30
31
39
... LastLast
  1. #561
    Quote Originally Posted by Insincere View Post
    If you truly read my post you'd know thats not what I was saying, I actually acknowledged this.



    I agree the drop off is big, but this is where my LFR point took place, rather than trying. A lot of people are just running LFR now. it was the same for DS, the only difference with DS and this tier so far, is DS was out for 9 more months, and had 35% nerf by the time it ended. This hasn't started yet so until this tier ends t14 is irrelevant to your graph. AT THIS TIME. <-- just to clarify.



    Tier 9 had 4 lockouts for a time, thats a lot of loot gain and loot itself is an artificial nerf to content the longer it goes on. ICC was also easy, like, a shit ton easier than cata content, and also under went 30% buff/nerf and was around for 12 months.

    The thing I agreed with about your graph, is the fact it does show, from T10 - T12 that yes the lockout change had a dramatic effect.
    However, the lockout change only really stopped pugging, and the ilvl change, the need to pug. This caused an artificial lack of content in cata, and was a part of the subscriber loss.
    I wouldn't mind it is the lockout changed again. Pugging would thrive again. However it would have to be implemented with realm firsts in mind, like I mentioned in my post around page 7 of this thread.
    This wouldn't give a particular 'incentive' for 25 mans, but it also wouldn't demean either raid size, being able to pug however, would create an incentive to run 25 man. because you can do both raid sizes, one serious, one fun...
    The only issue with this is 3 raid sizes if u remove lockout, players will burn out really quick. Not to mention the potential pool of players for a pug is limited quite a lot by server population.
    I honestly think this still wouldn't save 25 man, cause a lot of ppl still couldn't be arsed.
    Which is the inherent problem to begin with... Lazy, unreliable players.
    I've got a fair bit of info about ideas on the US forums but they're down at the moment.

    imo cross realm raiding with split lockouts is the way to fix all issues, you'd need appropriate limitations though, realm first dealios being 100% server groups only obviously, minor limitations like not being able to use a bonus roll, maybe other things, whilst in a cross realm group or if you're not from the same server as the leader, things like that, this would fix a lot of the issues of realms with low populations or people on realms who play at odd times when most of their realm is offline etc.

    Oh and the data my stats are from is the first boss, so 4 lockouts a week didn't really change that much in ToC. As it was only the very first boss on normal mode. ie. no matter how bad a player was, if they downed the first boss, it showed up.

    And the inherent problems with 25man, stem from no one wanting to waste a week's lockout, a full 7 days, trying to do a 25man when they can just go do a 10man with little to no effort, even if they want to do 25man, they can't get a group for it, because no pugs do 25mans anymore. Why would they, trying to pug 25man when there's certainly no benefit to pugging 25man anymore.

    25mans were fun to pug in Wrath because the community was that much stronger, I've mentioned this a bit, but I play on Blackrock US, a very large server, it used to be the world's largest server. And in Wrath, I could safely say that I knew the majority of the server, and the majority knew me, I was a very prominent raid leader back then, as were other players, we led 10s/25s of all the content, HMs and normals and it was a very community based experience, everyone recommended people that they knew, people were friendlier back then. There was a bit of elitism when GearScore came out, but everywhere had that. People just enjoyed playing with friendly people. Your reputation on the server mattered.
    Now you just join a guild and forget about the other 4000 people on the server because you'll never see them in a raid, at best, you'll see them at Sha once a week, where you roll your face to win, Sha takes less co-ordination than bosses in VoA did, and bosses in VoA were renowned for being derpmode easy.

    Quote Originally Posted by Martoshi View Post
    It makes perfect sense, and it's what most realm populations went through in Cata. My realm started Cata with something like ten proper 25 man guilds and finished Cata with zero. 25 man guilds just died one after another even though the realm as a whole had easily enough players that wanted to do 25 man raiding for at least a couple of good 25 man guilds.

    The thing you're missing here is that these players are people, not some numbers you can just add up and combine into guilds whatever way you wish. When a 25 man guild dies, some people will quit the game because they know joining a new guild will not give them the same experience they got raiding with a guild they've played with for years. Some people will move to 10 man raiding, not because they prefer playing with 10 rather than 25 people, but because it's the best risk/reward. Some people will transfer to high population servers to join a 25 man guild because they realize the same forces that killed their old guild will inevitably kill the other guilds on the realm as well. Some people will not find a suitable 25 man guild because they don't raid the right amount, they don't have the right skill level, they don't have good enough leadership etc. etc. Some people will join one of the remaining 25 man guilds on the realm, which gets a temporary boost, but which will in a few weeks die from the same problems.

    The tragedy of Cata is that it put into the game a system that killed off the foundation of old, well managed guilds. That's damage that Blizzard won't be able to fix. The guilds are dead, the foundation of the game is dead. The only thing Blizzard can do is to go further and further into turning WoW into a FarmVille style casual garbage and hope enough people remain to milk some profits out of.
    What this guy said is true on so many levels about what happens when a 25man guild dies, people just stop playing. It only takes 2-3 people to kill a 25man these days because they're so fragile.

    And so many guilds have died, long standing guilds. Guilds that have been around since Day One died with Cata because of Blizzard's flawed idea that catering to the new players was better than catering to the players that had been playing their game for 5 years, those new players came in, played for a few months, left again, and Blizzard lost their old players as well, trying to please everyone, but really they pleased no one.
    You can please some of the people, some of the time, but you can't please all of the people, all of the time.
    Blizzard tried to do the latter. And failed. Miserably.
    Now we're left with this pathetic raiding model that causes players to hate each other and other guilds.

    ---------- Post added 2012-11-20 at 10:52 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Martoshi View Post
    I have no idea what you're trying to say. Blizzard did irreparable damage to the raiding scene in WoW with the new model. Doesn't really matter what they do with 10/25 from now on, might as well get rid of 25 mans and go to 5 man raiding or whatever.
    Back in Wrath and earlier, as well as up til the first tier of Cata even, when some guilds were still sticking around, World first and/or realm first competitions weren't between 4 guilds for World First.
    Or 1 guild for Realm First.
    There was COUNTLESS guilds that were going for World Firsts, and they were all fighting for it.
    All these guilds that people looked up to, watched the videos of and said, some day I want to be as good as that person, I want to be able to kill those heroic bosses, I wish I was that good.
    Those guilds died because of Blizzards error.

    And anyone who says they never looked up to people who wore all the amazing gear, had Invincible/Mim's head and rode around on it, Ashes in BC even, you looked up to those people with a level of awe, those were the reasons you got hooked on this game, you wanted to be like that person.
    The problem is, when Blizzard let everyone be THAT guy.
    No one wanted to be THAT guy anymore, because everyone else was just as artificially "good" as you.
    Everyone else got the same mount as you.

    Look at FL mount and Madness mount. No one even cares about them, because EVERYONE got them. They were thrown out like candy, on top of the bug that occurred that gave normal mode Rag 100% drop rate.
    Heroic Rag was nerfed to shit in the 5.0 patch and still dropped the mount.
    And he was nerfed to shit in 4.3 when they removed the CORE mechanic of final phase.

    It's nerfs, lack of split lockouts, and lack of guilds to admire that kill off raiding.

    Look at any major sport. People look up to their famous soccer players.
    Their famous cricketers. Pitchers. Batters. Quarterbacks. Golfers.
    People look up to the pros.
    They admire them.
    They want to be like them.
    They want to watch them.
    They play those sports and wish they could be that good.
    They act like they're as good as them, but they aren't.
    It's the human mentality to want to be the best, but when you're given the best and so is everyone else, just handed to you. It loses its' lustre.

    Look at the movie Bruce Almighty.
    Everyone prays to win the grand prize Lotto.
    So he answers yes to all the prayers.
    They all win, and only get like $7.
    Now no one wants it and they go rioting because everyone got it.
    There was nothing to aim for anymore.

    ---------- Post added 2012-11-20 at 10:53 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by schwank05 View Post
    Give 25's either separate lockouts or better loot or IMO go back to wrath and have it be both. Some of the most fun I have ever had was doing GDKP runs in ICC in wrath, so much fun and a great way to make gold. But there will be the people that will whine about this again for some stupid reason.
    ^ This.
    All of this.

    Oh and just tacking on.
    Anyone who goes on that raiding isn't the core of this game yada yada, there's other content etc.

    Raiding is the foundation of WoW. It was the major component of the game. In fact, besides World PvP, it was the only end game content on release, dungeons/raiding. BGs weren't released til like 1.1/1.2/1.3 (I can't remember).

    Oh and if someone could find the blue post for me about 10s/25s.
    Wasn't there a blue post, or a Ghostcrawler post somewhere that straight up admitted that they believe 25mans to be the harder difficulty? I remember reading it on MMO-C one day.
    Last edited by Oxyra; 2012-11-20 at 02:56 PM.
    Hakushi - Main Shaman - 587 Enh/573 Ele 8/8 HM DS (5% Nerf Spine/Madness), 7/7 HM FL, 6/6 HM MSV, 6/6 HM HoF, 4/4 HM ToES, 13/13 HM ToT, 14/14 HM SoO
    Oxyra - Semi-Main DK - 570 Blood 6/6 HM MSV, 6/6 HM HoF, 4/4 HM ToES, 13/13 HM ToT, 4/14 HM SoO
    Raiding with Fused - Illidan

  2. #562
    I am Murloc! Fenixdown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    5,850
    Quote Originally Posted by Talen View Post
    No, its not. Not so long as those 270k+ actually want to do 10s. There is no magical law that states there should be some fixed ratio.



    So, for you to have fun, we need to drag 10 players from a format they enjoy?

    EJL
    Who says they necessarily enjoy 10-man raiding? Most people just enjoy raiding, period. The reason there has ended up being so many 10-man guilds and so few 25-man guilds is because it's far easier to guarantee a smoother progression path through 10-man than it is through 25-man. However, that said, if 25's had higher incentive to include the people who are doing 10-man for that single purpose, it would make 25-man raiding just as easy of a smooth progression path because people would be equally inclined to participate in it for higher rewards.

    Most people that I know that raid don't care about raid size nearly as much as they care about one of three things. A. having fun, b. progression, or c. reward. In most cases, a. and b. are intertwined together. Right now, c. no longer exists because reward is pretty much equal (though the statistical probability of getting a particular item is higher in 25's, that's still not incentive enough to make it equally or more viable of a format option). As of right now, from personal experience of doing both formats in this tier of content, I can tell you that 25-man has stricter number crunches while 10-man requires stricter execution of mechanics. Mechanics are always easier to execute than numbers, therefore by default, 10-mans in some cases are easier. People will take the path of least resistance if reward is equal.

    However, if reward is greater, they will take the path of greater reward as long as a. and b. are still connected to c. In other words, if 25-man gives more reward incentive, and people can have fun and progress as easily as they can in 10-man, then people will be more inclined to choose 25-man. Provided the loot is identically styled (in other words, not like the failure of ToC and ICC loot styles that really DID require you to do 25's if you wanted to min/max), then people won't be "forced" to do 25-man because you won't need that gear to progress through 10-man formats. People that want to do 10-man will do 10-man and have gear that isn't at an extreme disadvantage over people who would choose 25-man. Six or so item level is not going to make a difference in any fight in 10-man provided the stats are still identically styled.

    As of right now, format is not being selected on what people enjoy. It's being selected on what has a greater effort to reward ratio. Right now, 10-man has a greater effort to reward ratio because the reward is identical and the effort for numbers is a bit lower. To compensate, 25-man should have a higher reward ratio to help balance the scales. That way, people are picking the format they want to play and not the format that has less resistance. I'm not even factoring in the application process that most people just can't be bothered to mess with to join a 25-man guild (which has no relation to the in-game problems of the two formats, but does affect the format differential just as much).

    My guild is on the verge of total collapse. I'm sorry, but if Blizzard gave us a helping hand, I would not be incredibly sad to see the online place that I call home crumbling around me. And, for those of you curious, yes. I AM an officer in my guild. I do raid lead in 25's (and I even raid lead in our 10's...we still separate our roles accordingly there, and nobody in the guild knows healing better than I do). I speak from firsthand experience on the issue. If the system gave someone from a 10-man guild just looking to raid a reason to come with us instead of sticking to 10-man, then everything would be solved. Both formats could flourish equally. I think some people seem to suspect that most 25-man raiders want 10-man to be inferior. While some posters here may reflect that type of attitude, those of us with intelligence don't want that. We just want both to be equal options. Right now, 25-man is an inferior option. It needs a boost.

  3. #563
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxyra View Post
    Did you even look at the graph since they removed the double lockout?
    Does it matter? His solutions are still old news, his solutions have been suggested before, his solutions do not address the issues with the LK model.

    Your graph is interesting. Misleading in certain aspects, but interesting.

    EJL

  4. #564
    Herald of the Titans Injin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,967
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenixdown View Post
    . Right now, 25-man is an inferior option. It needs a boost.
    Not so, right now it's technically the superior option for the average raider, it just isn't superior enough for the people that matter - those who raid lead.
    http://secretgl.wordpress.com/

    Guild Blog for <Debonair> EU, Zenedar.

  5. #565
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenixdown View Post
    Who says they necessarily enjoy 10-man raiding? Most people just enjoy raiding, period. The reason there has ended up being so many 10-man guilds and so few 25-man guilds is because it's far easier to guarantee a smoother progression path through 10-man than it is through 25-man. However, that said, if 25's had higher incentive to include the people who are doing 10-man for that single purpose, it would make 25-man raiding just as easy of a smooth progression path because people would be equally inclined to participate in it for higher rewards.

    Most people that I know that raid don't care about raid size nearly as much as they care about one of three things. A. having fun, b. progression, or c. reward. In most cases, a. and b. are intertwined together. Right now, c. no longer exists because reward is pretty much equal (though the statistical probability of getting a particular item is higher in 25's, that's still not incentive enough to make it equally or more viable of a format option). As of right now, from personal experience of doing both formats in this tier of content, I can tell you that 25-man has stricter number crunches while 10-man requires stricter execution of mechanics. Mechanics are always easier to execute than numbers, therefore by default, 10-mans in some cases are easier. People will take the path of least resistance if reward is equal.

    However, if reward is greater, they will take the path of greater reward as long as a. and b. are still connected to c. In other words, if 25-man gives more reward incentive, and people can have fun and progress as easily as they can in 10-man, then people will be more inclined to choose 25-man. Provided the loot is identically styled (in other words, not like the failure of ToC and ICC loot styles that really DID require you to do 25's if you wanted to min/max), then people won't be "forced" to do 25-man because you won't need that gear to progress through 10-man formats. People that want to do 10-man will do 10-man and have gear that isn't at an extreme disadvantage over people who would choose 25-man. Six or so item level is not going to make a difference in any fight in 10-man provided the stats are still identically styled.

    As of right now, format is not being selected on what people enjoy. It's being selected on what has a greater effort to reward ratio. Right now, 10-man has a greater effort to reward ratio because the reward is identical and the effort for numbers is a bit lower. To compensate, 25-man should have a higher reward ratio to help balance the scales. That way, people are picking the format they want to play and not the format that has less resistance. I'm not even factoring in the application process that most people just can't be bothered to mess with to join a 25-man guild (which has no relation to the in-game problems of the two formats, but does affect the format differential just as much).

    My guild is on the verge of total collapse. I'm sorry, but if Blizzard gave us a helping hand, I would not be incredibly sad to see the online place that I call home crumbling around me. And, for those of you curious, yes. I AM an officer in my guild. I do raid lead in 25's (and I even raid lead in our 10's...we still separate our roles accordingly there, and nobody in the guild knows healing better than I do). I speak from firsthand experience on the issue. If the system gave someone from a 10-man guild just looking to raid a reason to come with us instead of sticking to 10-man, then everything would be solved. Both formats could flourish equally. I think some people seem to suspect that most 25-man raiders want 10-man to be inferior. While some posters here may reflect that type of attitude, those of us with intelligence don't want that. We just want both to be equal options. Right now, 25-man is an inferior option. It needs a boost.
    I personally don't care if they're equal or not, I and a lot of other people want to be able to raid BOTH again.

    Oh and this man raised a point that I'd completely forgotten about, it's not that big a deal in the absence of reforging, but there was 10man loot that was your BiS piece in some tiers, but it was mostly 25man loot that was your BiS, not because of the higher iLvl, that had slight bearing, but without reforging, the stats on a piece of gear mattered A LOT.
    A lot of the 25man gear was just straight up itemised better.
    Last edited by Oxyra; 2012-11-20 at 03:21 PM.
    Hakushi - Main Shaman - 587 Enh/573 Ele 8/8 HM DS (5% Nerf Spine/Madness), 7/7 HM FL, 6/6 HM MSV, 6/6 HM HoF, 4/4 HM ToES, 13/13 HM ToT, 14/14 HM SoO
    Oxyra - Semi-Main DK - 570 Blood 6/6 HM MSV, 6/6 HM HoF, 4/4 HM ToES, 13/13 HM ToT, 4/14 HM SoO
    Raiding with Fused - Illidan

  6. #566
    Returning to the model where 10/25 have separate lockouts seems like a pretty solid choice. I was a 10 man raider at the end of WotLK when it was announced how Cata was "supposed" to work. I remember how many PUGs were lurking around ALL THE TIME. 25s pugged for 10s, 10s pugged for 25s - MY guild pugged to do 25s, it wasn't hard. The community in general was way more active with each other. It's a very positive thing for the "PUG" community to be that active again.

    The only argument people have against it is, "but I'm forced to do both now!" (not true, people QQ about LFR also) and "It's easier for 25 mans to do both! >" - Good, that's the point now.

    Keep gear the same, who cares.

  7. #567
    Banned Espe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Muscle, bone and sinew tangled.
    Posts
    797
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxyra View Post
    Oh and if someone could find the blue post for me about 10s/25s.
    In 25s you can afford to have a few deaths and you can even pull if you're backfilling a few players. Both really make you stop in your tracks on 10s. In 25, it's easier to fade back into the group if you're still not 100% confident in what you're doing. In 10s, it's harder to be a wallflower.
    Yeah, pretty much the opposite of what you said.

    There is a reason they created LFR as 25 only. Less responsibility per player = easier completion.

  8. #568
    Brewmaster Marston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,465
    Quote Originally Posted by Espe View Post
    Yeah, pretty much the opposite of what you said.

    There is a reason they created LFR as 25 only. Less responsibility per player = easier completion.
    That's not the reason. It's to have shorter queue times, because both, 10 man and 25 man, need 2 tanks. But 10 man has 3 healers and 5 DPS, where as 25 man has 6 healers and 17 DPS.

    And now I must admit, even though I opened the thread, it's to fast getting new replies. I lost it somewhere on page 14.

    As for the shart that was posted, you have to remember that those number are from kills over the whole tier/expansion. Tis tier/expansion is only out for 2 months. I am pretty sure we will see more kills and so get an overall larger pool of players wo participiated in raiding if we wait another few months - at least until this tier ends.

  9. #569
    I am Murloc! Volitar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Victory Road.
    Posts
    5,134
    As a 25 raider I don't want or need another reward. Raiding 25 is not a chore for me it is the game for me.

  10. #570
    Pit Lord velde046's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    2,415
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxyra View Post
    All these guilds that people looked up to, watched the videos of and said, some day I want to be as good as that person, I want to be able to kill those heroic bosses, I wish I was that good.
    Not even once have I even wished 'I was that good'. Honestly. I am just in the game to enjoy it, not to be competitive really.

    And anyone who says they never looked up to people who wore all the amazing gear, had Invincible/Mim's head and rode around on it, Ashes in BC even, you looked up to those people with a level of awe, those were the reasons you got hooked on this game, you wanted to be like that person.
    And yes, I looked at those people, but not in awe and they aren't the reason I got hooked. If I looked it would only be to find out what it was that the person was wearing or riding. The fact that they have it and I probaly never will does not change a thing, nor do I have any desire to be like that person.
    Frankly this says more about you than any other person playing.

    Whenever I am witness to a realm first or world first I may congratulate the person, but a minute after that it's out of my system really and I'm continuing my game.
    Like I said I have no desire to be the best in the game or compete with others, I mainly play to enjoy myself.
    And with me there are tons of people that feel the same way...

  11. #571
    Quote Originally Posted by Espe View Post
    Yeah, pretty much the opposite of what you said.

    There is a reason they created LFR as 25 only. Less responsibility per player = easier completion.
    That was a blue post SPECIFICALLY about LFR.
    There was a blue post about 25man and 10man NORMAL/HEROIC MODES that stated in not many uncertain terms, that 25man was considered to be the harder form of raiding.

    Quote Originally Posted by Marston View Post
    That's not the reason. It's to have shorter queue times, because both, 10 man and 25 man, need 2 tanks. But 10 man has 3 healers and 5 DPS, where as 25 man has 6 healers and 17 DPS.

    And now I must admit, even though I opened the thread, it's to fast getting new replies. I lost it somewhere on page 14.

    As for the shart that was posted, you have to remember that those number are from kills over the whole tier/expansion. Tis tier/expansion is only out for 2 months. I am pretty sure we will see more kills and so get an overall larger pool of players wo participiated in raiding if we wait another few months - at least until this tier ends.
    But Cata lasted an entire expansion with a 30% nerf, and still had under half the active players that Wrath did (with subsidies to prevent overlapping during Wrath).
    Maybe this expansion's data is slightly biased, but the Cata data isn't.

    ---------- Post added 2012-11-20 at 11:31 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by velde046 View Post
    Not even once have I even wished 'I was that good'. Honestly. I am just in the game to enjoy it, not to be competitive really.


    And yes, I looked at those people, but not in awe and they aren't the reason I got hooked. If I looked it would only be to find out what it was that the person was wearing or riding. The fact that they have it and I probaly never will does not change a thing, nor do I have any desire to be like that person.
    Frankly this says more about you than any other person playing.

    Whenever I am witness to a realm first or world first I may congratulate the person, but a minute after that it's out of my system really and I'm continuing my game.
    Like I said I have no desire to be the best in the game or compete with others, I mainly play to enjoy myself.
    And with me there are tons of people that feel the same way...
    You're one of a small number.
    If everyone thought like you, major sports players wouldn't get paid the amount they do.

    Also, signatures like yours piss me off SO MUCH when you can't click each little character square to see their armories.
    Hakushi - Main Shaman - 587 Enh/573 Ele 8/8 HM DS (5% Nerf Spine/Madness), 7/7 HM FL, 6/6 HM MSV, 6/6 HM HoF, 4/4 HM ToES, 13/13 HM ToT, 14/14 HM SoO
    Oxyra - Semi-Main DK - 570 Blood 6/6 HM MSV, 6/6 HM HoF, 4/4 HM ToES, 13/13 HM ToT, 4/14 HM SoO
    Raiding with Fused - Illidan

  12. #572
    I am Murloc! Fenixdown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    5,850
    Quote Originally Posted by Injin View Post
    Not so, right now it's technically the superior option for the average raider, it just isn't superior enough for the people that matter - those who raid lead.
    That's a very false assumption, and some 25-man guilds just don't have an effective leadership core in place. One of the greatest strengths of my particular 25-man raid team is the leadership structure. A good 25-man leadership team needs to involve about five or so raid leaders.

    - 1 person to lead the overall raid. Calling incoming mechanics for everyone to pay attention to. This job is actually the easiest.
    - 2 raid leaders to lead the DPS. They give the DPS assignments for any fights that involve adds, target switching, alternate locations (such as Spiritbinder), and any other factors that would be DPS-centered.
    - 1-2 raid leaders to lead the healers. They give the healers their healing assignments (who's healing the tanks and who's focusing on the raid healing), give positioning assignments (for any fight that requires the raid to split up, such as Elegon), set up cooldown rotations (for fights such as Will of the Emperor or Feng), and if needed can select which healers are used to swap roles (if fewer healers are required for a particular fight to meet a DPS requirement, which happened quite a bit in Dragon Soul heroic).
    - 1-2 raid leaders should be tanks. It is more ideal to have both of your tanks be effective raid leaders. Therefore, they basically lead themselves and it is one less aspect for the rest of the raid to be worried about.

    The average 25-man guild doesn't set up a leadership structure in this manner. If led properly, 25-man is actually EASIER to lead because the division of responsibility is a lower ratio than in 10-man. The average 10-man is led by 1-2 people. An effective 25-man is led by 5-6 people. For a well-structured 25-man guild, leadership is actually the lowest of problems. All of my previously covered points are far higher on the list of issues.

  13. #573
    Quote Originally Posted by Espe View Post
    There is a reason they created LFR as 25 only. Less responsibility per player = easier completion.
    No, LFR is 25 because it's easier to fill them automatically that way. It's also not true that in 25s you can "fade back into group if you're still not 100% confident", not in any fight that actually matters at least. 25 mans leave much less room for mistakes than 10s simply because in any fight that matters, wasting a battle res to a stupid mistake means you won't kill the boss, and because if everyone in a 25 man raid fails in more than once in 25 tries the boss will never die (in 10 mans that's 1 in 10, much less strict).

  14. #574
    Banned Espe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Muscle, bone and sinew tangled.
    Posts
    797
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxyra View Post
    There was a blue post about 25man and 10man NORMAL/HEROIC MODES
    You mean this one?

    25 allows for a more forgiving experience should errors be made by individual players
    I have a hard time remembering, considering how many times they've flat out stated that 25s take less skill to execute than 10s.

    Keep dreaming about your fantasy quote where 25 is somehow harder than 10.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenixdown View Post
    If led properly, 25-man is actually EASIER to lead because the division of responsibility is a lower ratio than in 10-man.
    Also this.
    Last edited by Espe; 2012-11-20 at 03:37 PM.

  15. #575
    Quote Originally Posted by Espe View Post
    25 allows for a more forgiving experience should errors be made by individual players
    That is flat out false in many, many ways (when talking about progression raiding and bosses that actually mean something).

  16. #576
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxyra View Post
    You're one of a small number.
    If everyone thought like you, major sports players wouldn't get paid the amount they do.

    Also, signatures like yours piss me off SO MUCH when you can't click each little character square to see their armories.
    I know quite a few people myself included, who think pretty much exactly like him... at least in terms of gaming. I have very little interest in what other guilds / professional players are doing... I don't know that many people who do, especially if they don't pvp much which is where a lot of the interest in watching other people play really kicks in.

    In response to the OPs question: We don't.

  17. #577
    Quote Originally Posted by Espe View Post
    There is a reason they created LFR as 25 only. Less responsibility per player = easier completion.
    This is absolutely true but only applies to content where the burden is minimal on all raid members to execute well and coordinate etc. The more coordination required and the higher the necessary level of play the more difficult 25 man becomes simply because there are more people in the raid, more chances to make a mistake etc. It's harder to get 25 people to understand a fight or watch their debuffs, harder to heal a random target out of 25 potential targets on short notice, harder to move in a coordinated way and so on.

    25 man is easier at the LFR difficulty because you can have half the raid die and still stand a reasonable chance of beating an encounter as long as there's some healers and tanks left, give or take the enrage timer. That's less likely to be true in 10 man. The same logic really doesn't apply to heroic raiding, and neither does the quote there.

    The things that made fights like Heroic Rag or Spine harder on 25 man were mostly related to the number of people in the raid on an encounter with 0 margin for error. Losing someone on those fights was a wipe on both 10 and 25, but it's just more problematic to keep everyone alive and performing at their best with way more people in the raid. I doubt we're ever going to see an extremely hard boss (LK/Yogg/M'uru/Rag difficulty) that is comparable across the two formats. We do regularly see easier bosses where difficulty is comparable or even harder on 10 though because the personal responsibility element becomes more significant when tuning is less tight on 25.

  18. #578
    Banned Espe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Muscle, bone and sinew tangled.
    Posts
    797
    Quote Originally Posted by Martoshi View Post
    That is flat out false in many, many ways (when talking about progression raiding and bosses that actually mean something).
    I guess you'll just have to agree to disagree with the WoW devs.

  19. #579
    Herald of the Titans Injin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,967
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenixdown View Post
    That's a very false assumption, and some 25-man guilds just don't have an effective leadership core in place. One of the greatest strengths of my particular 25-man raid team is the leadership structure. A good 25-man leadership team needs to involve about five or so raid leaders.

    - 1 person to lead the overall raid. Calling incoming mechanics for everyone to pay attention to. This job is actually the easiest.
    - 2 raid leaders to lead the DPS. They give the DPS assignments for any fights that involve adds, target switching, alternate locations (such as Spiritbinder), and any other factors that would be DPS-centered.
    - 1-2 raid leaders to lead the healers. They give the healers their healing assignments (who's healing the tanks and who's focusing on the raid healing), give positioning assignments (for any fight that requires the raid to split up, such as Elegon), set up cooldown rotations (for fights such as Will of the Emperor or Feng), and if needed can select which healers are used to swap roles (if fewer healers are required for a particular fight to meet a DPS requirement, which happened quite a bit in Dragon Soul heroic).
    - 1-2 raid leaders should be tanks. It is more ideal to have both of your tanks be effective raid leaders. Therefore, they basically lead themselves and it is one less aspect for the rest of the raid to be worried about.

    The average 25-man guild doesn't set up a leadership structure in this manner. If led properly, 25-man is actually EASIER to lead because the division of responsibility is a lower ratio than in 10-man. The average 10-man is led by 1-2 people. An effective 25-man is led by 5-6 people. For a well-structured 25-man guild, leadership is actually the lowest of problems. All of my previously covered points are far higher on the list of issues.
    I never mentioned anything about all this stuff.

    I said that 25 man is "the superior option for the average raider, it just isn't superior enough for the people that matter - those who raid lead."

    i.e. why on earth would 5 or 6 people go to all that trouble to do 25 mans when they can just go 10 man and not have to bother with all the extra, with only 1 of them doing it? Most players I genuinely believe don't care much - they just want to improve their toons with the mnimum of fuss. For the average raider 10 man, 25 man, doesn't matter. For those who lead raids, 10 man means probably not leading any more - yay!
    http://secretgl.wordpress.com/

    Guild Blog for <Debonair> EU, Zenedar.

  20. #580
    Quote Originally Posted by Espe View Post
    I guess you'll just have to agree to disagree with the WoW devs.
    WoW devs are wrong all the time, especially the ones currently in charge. Their opinion doesn't change facts.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •