1. #1
    Bloodsail Admiral Taurous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Vancouver Island
    Posts
    1,106

    Need help with making sure a build works together.

    Budget: Nothing specific, I'm trying to find a good balance between cheap and moderate power.
    Resolution: 1920x1080
    Desired Game Settings: I'm not bothered by WoW on low to medium graphics, I just like the extra power. Anything I do will be better than my current system.

    Country: Canada

    Parts that can be reused:
    NVIDIA Geforce 9500 GT
    2 TB Sata HDD
    D-Link Wireless Card

    Do you need an OS? NOPE!
    Do you need peripherals (e.g. monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc)? NOPE!

    Wanting to build a computer to replace my prebuilt Dell because old.

    So far I've picked out:

    Case: COOLER MASTER Storm Scout SGC-2000-KKN1-GP Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower
    M/B: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UP4 TH LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with Dual Thunderbolt
    CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K
    (CPU and M/B are bundled)
    DVD-Drive: LITE-ON Black 18X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA DVD-ROM Drive Model iHDS118-04 - OEM
    PSU: PC Power and Cooling Silencer MK III 400W Modular 80PLUS Bronze Power Supply compatible with Intel Sandy Bridge Core i3 i5 i7 and AMD Phenom
    RAM: G.SKILL Value Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-8GBNT

    Sitting at ~$600.

    I don't feel that I need a new graphics card because my current one performs well enough for me, and if I feel like tossing out another couple hundred down the road, I can. Just kind of unsure of the parts I picked, mostly just picked out the lowest price with the best reviews.

    So any problem items or incompatibilities you can find?

    EDIT: Also, am I able to install a 64bit OS on this?
    Last edited by Taurous; 2012-11-19 at 05:07 AM.
    Blizzard introduces Transmogrification: YAY! Farm ALL the weapons!
    Hunters no longer use melee weapons: );

  2. #2
    I like how you say cheap and then go pick out an expensive motherboard, PSU and case.

    Unless you need Thunderbolt, there are cheaper Mobo options. If you want to stay Gigabyte, the UD3H @ $144 after $10 MIR. Otherwise, I'd recommend the ASUS P8Z77-V LK @ $115 after $15 MIR because they're on sale.

    $75 is a lot for a 400W 80+ Bronze. Why not Seasonic 520W for $78 with Shipping?

    Your RAM is 1333 Mhz for $33. You can get most heatsink RAM at 1600 Mhz for less than $40. The best option however is to pick Samsung Ram @ $38 because they are easily overclocked to 1866 Mhz C9 or more.

    Case preference is always up to the buyer, but maybe consider $50-60 cases.
    Last edited by yurano; 2012-11-19 at 05:12 AM.

  3. #3
    Bloodsail Admiral Taurous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Vancouver Island
    Posts
    1,106
    Just realized that if I remove the HDD and Graphics card from this months Dolphin build, I get a cheaper build that what I have here. Think I should just go with that?

    Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    I like how you say cheap and then go pick out an expensive motherboard, PSU and case.

    Unless you need Thunderbolt, there are cheaper Mobo options. If you want to stay Gigabyte, the UD3H @ $144 after $10 MIR. Otherwise, I'd recommend the ASUS P8Z77-V LK @ $115 after $15 MIR because they're on sale.

    $75 is a lot for a 400W 80+ Bronze. Why not Seasonic 520W for $78 with Shipping?

    Your RAM is 1333 Mhz for $33. You can get most heatsink RAM at 1600 Mhz for less than $40. The best option however is to pick Samsung Ram @ $38 because they are easily overclocked to 1866 Mhz C9 or more.

    Case preference is always up to the buyer, but maybe consider $50-60 cases.
    Yeah, kinda got overwhelmed by all the different specs etc, and I got caught by the "BUY THESE TWO TOGETHER AND SAVE TEN DOLLARS!!!1!". Thanks for the suggestions.

    I'll look into a different case, I didn't look all that hard. What would you recommend for a CPU? I have an i5 in my laptop and it handles games(with integrated Intel HD 4000 graphics) very well so I don't need anything past that, maybe even an i3.

    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...16819116773CVF perhaps?

    Also, if an AMD CPU + board would be cheaper I'd be happy with that.

    Case: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16811147153. The reviews for this case seem to be pretty good and it looks good.

    Down to ~$460 with your suggested items and that case and CPU above.

    For reference, I'm currently running an Intel Core 2 CPU 2.4GHz, 2gigs RAM, 32-bit Windows 8, with the graphics card I mentioned above. And I guess I do have a game setting that I'd like to reach. I get around 20 FPS in GW2 with low settings at the moment, I wouldn't mind being able to go to 30-40 FPS on medium settings. Would my graphics card hold me back, seeing as how it is a year or two old?
    Last edited by Taurous; 2012-11-19 at 05:53 AM.
    Blizzard introduces Transmogrification: YAY! Farm ALL the weapons!
    Hunters no longer use melee weapons: );

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurous View Post
    For reference, I'm currently running an Intel Core 2 CPU 2.4GHz, 2gigs RAM, 32-bit Windows 8, with the graphics card I mentioned above. And I guess I do have a game setting that I'd like to reach. I get around 20 FPS in GW2 with low settings at the moment, I wouldn't mind being able to go to 30-40 FPS on medium settings. Would my graphics card hold me back, seeing as how it is a year or two old?
    Your video card is nearly 5 years old, not to mention it was the absolute bottom end of the line when it released. The integrated HD 4000 video on the 3570k even outperforms the 9500 AFAIK.

    Regardless, you'll see very little to no gain whatsoever unless you replace that card.

    In regards to you being happy with your current (and integrated laptop) performance, I suppose that's up to you. Most of us here only settle for higher settings at or above 60 FPS for an optimal playing experience. Low settings and 20 FPS would be a harsh change from that.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - JBL S300A - FiiO E10 - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

    build pics

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurous View Post
    I'll look into a different case, I didn't look all that hard. What would you recommend for a CPU? I have an i5 in my laptop and it handles games(with integrated Intel HD 4000 graphics) very well so I don't need anything past that, maybe even an i3.

    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...16819116773CVF perhaps?
    The CPU you picked is an Intel HD 2500 which would have less than half the performance of an Intel HD 4000.

    I recommend a 3570K, its Intel HD 4000 is able to play WoW on low settings at 1080p.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819116504

    Its a little bit more but you don't get choked by the HD 2500 and allows for a future GPU upgrade.

  6. #6
    TOTALLY NOT
    Banned
    tetrisGOAT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    12,478
    Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    The CPU you picked is an Intel HD 2500 which would have less than half the performance of an Intel HD 4000.
    He's looking to cannibalise the 9500 GT from his current rig though.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    He's looking to cannibalise the 9500 GT from his current rig though.
    According to Passmark, the 9500 is about 60% the performance of an Intel HD 4000. The i5 will also have better upgrade potential for a $200 dedicated graphics card in the future.

    If he's going to pick a Z77 motherboard, might as well go K-unlocked. Otherwise, he can get a $70 H77 motherboard.

    By the way, the i3-3220 is clocked 100mhz lower but is $130 on Newegg. Moreover, the i3-3225 is the i3-3220 with Intel HD 4000 graphics for $145. These are all valid options if you're looking to go i3 + H77.

    While the Intel HD 4000 can run WoW decently, it struggles major in modern games like Sleeping Dogs (avg 25 fps at 1280x720).
    Last edited by yurano; 2012-11-19 at 07:16 PM.

  8. #8
    TOTALLY NOT
    Banned
    tetrisGOAT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    12,478
    Comparisons I've found is 9500 GT being stronger; I'd love to see yours. Mine were just forum people talking, so I have no real point of reference.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •