Deleted

Salvaging - way to improve professions

Now, we all know that Professions have been one of the weakest aspects of WoW compare to how other games have handeled the crafting systems. I mean okay, in later versions of WoW developers put in that items that need alot of materials to craft raise the profession skill by a certain amount, but even that happens in very later stage of profession you're leveling and doesn't change that you need to grind alot of items which you're going to sell for a small amount of money anyway, because you have no need for it.

I may have an idea however how it could be made more easy to bare: salvaging.

In Star Wars: the Old Republic, the crafting system is pretty much like WoW, however, they have one thing which makes it easier to handle.
    All professions have an option to "disenchant" the crafted item and in return, you get back a certain amount of materials for an item you crafted, but also, you have a small chance to get a recepie/patten for the same item, except with slightly different name and improved stats, all the way to the point where it became "EPIC" quality.

Now lets face it, currently quests, especially at the start, give alot better items to a player, than if one had crafted one at the begining.
    Salvaging, would stimulate the eagerness to craft an item, because you wouldn't have to worry about replacing outdated and weaker items for next few levels.

I liked that part of swtor, especially when you could craft epic re-usable items after breaking down a bunch of greens to learn the blue and a bunch of blues to learn the purple.

Deleted
    You know what the silly part is tho?

I didn't even realize it until I almost had maxed out professions. God was that embaressing. XP

Anyway, once I started lvling alts and their professions, it felt awesome I was able to make stuff that would last longer and wouldn't have to worry to replace every lvl. =)
    Last edited by mmoc6e272995a4; 2012-11-20 at 12:39 AM.

Personally loved that aspect of SW:ToR, until it came to getting "good" stats on the epic crafts. I remember sharding well over 200 blues just to get 3 epic plans that were sub-par. If it was changed a little so that it was a "smarter" pool of stats (Say if you have a Str item that has Dodge on it, you won't randomly get Spr and so on) so that it feels like like a bad Diablo/SW:ToR splice effort and more of a useful side-objective to crafting.

yes and soon the materials will sell for top dollar seeing top raiders need to make 1K greens to make another 200 blues for that 1 epic pattern.

sadly this won't work... what would make it better is if the made the same changes as the did with cooking.

and ofcourse make it allitle more expensive say 1K gold to get to 525

now if the only did that for fishing....... one can pray right?
    http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/4...4841599821.jpg the boy that will forever be named the HHD wiper. R.I.P

Interesting. I view the SW:ToR crafting to be abominable. Being forced to salvage the same item over and over until you luck out on the recipe you need was frustrating and unrewarding.

I did find the GW2 system to be a bit interesting, but ultimately it was annoying because many recipes had too arcane of materials so you were forced to scan huge lists of all these arbitrary recipes to see if you had something you could craft.

I would say of the MMOs I have played, WoW has by far the most painless and rewarding crafting.

While I would agree it would make sense logically, I don't think that it's needed currently. Disenchanting can only do this because it's the only means of getting enchanting mats. Allowing gear to be 'disenchanted' by other professions would intrude into enchanting's territory and profits, and require a ui overhaul for drops, to add a 'salvage' option. There are already plenty of means to get cloth, leather herbs and ore, I don't think adding another purpose for old gear to compete with disenchanting is needed in the current setup.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Florena View Post
    While I would agree it would make sense logically, I don't think that it's needed currently. Disenchanting can only do this because it's the only means of getting enchanting mats. Allowing gear to be 'disenchanted' by other professions would intrude into enchanting's territory and profits, and require a ui overhaul for drops, to add a 'salvage' option. There are already plenty of means to get cloth, leather herbs and ore, I don't think adding another purpose for old gear to compete with disenchanting is needed in the current setup.
    If you'd salvage the crafted items, you'd get back the materials you used to create the item.

If you for example salvages a weapon or blacksmiting armor, you're get back bars.
    If you salvage leather armor, you get back leather.

It's not really intruding into disenchanting territory, it's used to reduce the amout of material you'd need in order to get skill up. It wouldn't really change anything else.
    It's not like adding one button would make a ground shaking overhaul.

Beside, you can get easy cloth/ore/leather with Tillers and even that's at lvl 90.
    Last edited by mmoc6e272995a4; 2012-11-20 at 10:37 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I haven't tried SWTOR crafting, but it sounds a lot like a reversed version of how Aion did it. Well eh, not entirely, but in my opinion just another attempt of making it more interesting without actually succeeding.

I guess though, making it more interesting wasn't what you were getting at here, but even if it were to make it more forgiving to level(or usefull), I have learned that I personally do not like having an RNG aspect to crafting. I'd rather see them make it more usefull to level while you level your character, and more items to choose between. Obviously, less mats required during the levelingprocess would be good too. Add the occational "special item"(say an item that works similar to the BoA gear, just have it scaling with you for a lot fewer levels, but still enough to make it worth the extra effort making/selling, as generally people level to fast to make much use of crafted gear) in between which could be of interest to sell(or use for yourself), and that would be a step in a better direction from what it is right now atleast.

Well, I'll agree that crafting certainly need somewhat of an overhaul. It's a hard nut to crack though... Getting it right I mean.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Duridi View Post
    I haven't tried SWTOR crafting, but it sounds a lot like a reversed version of how Aion did it. Well eh, not entirely, but in my opinion just another attempt of making it more interesting without actually succeeding.

I guess though, making it more interesting wasn't what you were getting at here, but even if it were to make it more forgiving to level(or usefull), I have learned that I personally do not like having an RNG aspect to crafting. I'd rather see them make it more usefull to level while you level your character, and more items to choose between. Obviously, less mats required during the levelingprocess would be good too. Add the occational "special item"(say an item that works similar to the BoA gear, just have it scaling with you for a lot fewer levels, but still enough to make it worth the extra effort making/selling, as generally people level to fast to make much use of crafted gear) in between which could be of interest to sell(or use for yourself), and that would be a step in a better direction from what it is right now atleast.

Well, I'll agree that crafting certainly need somewhat of an overhaul. It's a hard nut to crack though... Getting it right I mean.
    Well in my opinion salvaging is a step in the right direction if one has to start somewhere with the overhaul.