Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkenaw View Post
    You should get him a Wii-U anyways, much more kid friendly imo and when more games come out he'll probably be so glad you didn't get a PS3.
    To support this suggestion.

You have 1 or 2 more years till the next gen Xbox and PS are going to be released. Nintendo will not be releasing a new system for prolly about 3-5 years. PS3 and Xbox 360 are nearing the end of their life cycle. May as well get him the Nintendo for now, and wait the 1-2 years to get the newest PS or Xbox. He'll also be a little older and you will be a little elss restricted on the game choices.

Deleted
    Any of the Ratchet&Clank Games
    Jak and Daxter Collection
    Sly the Racoon collection
    Little big planet 1-2 or Karting
    Any of the Lego games

I've also heard that the Skylander games are quite nice (since the characters are cross plattform)

Uncharted is a good series aswell

I know you said he wants a PS3 but I honestly think both you and him would be happier with a Wii of either kind. The games on that console are perfect for any age and probably the most fun you can have at your home with friends or family. PS3 and 360 are made more for "pwning newbs online".
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account
    I was at Dave and Busters with my friend and her son was I think 4 we were playing one of those violent games where you hold the gun murder everything and even though I got a higher score he lived longer. I can't last longer in a fps than a 4yr old?! I was sooooo emasculated! =( I keep telling myself he had the evolutionary edge because he is Asian =\ Nothing is really unsuitable for children now days.

batman arkham, street fighter, little big planet, marvel ultimate allience, darksiders, i dunno played MK when i was a kid so dunno what parents allow there kids now.

Deleted
    PS3 has no gaems

Ratchet & Clank ? =d

10+ Year Old Account
    The Ratchet & Clank series is pretty awesome for any age.
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

Update (OP)

I bought this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

The games that come with the PS3 are LittleBigPlanet 2, inFAMOUS 2, Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One as part of the Instant Game Collection included with your 1 Year PS Plus Membership.

Good deal? I'll probs buy Fifa and that All Star game to go with it.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Deleted
    What about tekken or streetfighter? These are games I grew up playing. They are great for building up co-ordination and reaction speed. Racing games are also great, I cut my teeth on the wipeout series.
    I'd be careful about giving a child only childish games. Think for a moment about the stories you grew up with, where a wolf ate grandma and the woodcutter came along and chopped it up, or when the 2 children kick the witch into a stove in her house made of sweets. Don't shelter a kid from all forms of violence/danger. Don't fall for the trick of just giving them colourful games (bright colours are highly addictive for kids, re: pixar movies, where they don't have a clue what's happening but are just attracted to the bright flashing lights)

Give them games that really challenge them (GoW collection is a great idea) Final Fantasy and Zelda and other RPG's are also great, as they (mostly) require you to use your mind. Memorising all the moves in Tekken and Soul Edge/Calibur is a great exercise for all the junk you are forced to remember in school.

three words.
    grand theft auto
    <start epic wow theme>
    A world of limitless adventure. We cast the lords of shadow and flame back into the abyss.
    <more epic wow theme>
    We held the line against the rising tide of death itself.
    <epic music peaks>
    We have endured the breaking of the world.Now we face the Destroyer and we will end him.
    <cue Bennny Hill music>Pandas! Pokemon!

10+ Year Old Account
    Little Big Planet is the only reason I'd buy a PS3, it's so awesome.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lamp. Near the town of chair, in the country Coffee Table.
    Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    Is there any game for the PS3 that's like NFS: Most Wanted? I remember loving that game on the PS2 when I was a kid. Not just racing, but having an open world where cops chase you and the point is just to evade for as long as you can.
    I'd suggest NFS: Most Wanted

Last edited by Trigg; 2012-12-06 at 06:45 PM.

Update (OP)

I bought this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

The games that come with the PS3 are LittleBigPlanet 2, inFAMOUS 2, Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One as part of the Instant Game Collection included with your 1 Year PS Plus Membership.

Good deal? I'll probs buy Fifa and that All Star game to go with it.
    LBP2 and Ratched & Clank are both great games and they're more than appropriate for a 9 year old (inFAMOUS 2 might be on the "violent" end depending on your PoV, but it's good fun).

That's a pretty solid deal, especially with the PS Plus membership, they occasionally give out free games to members so you stand to get a few more as part of that deal : P

Call me old fashioned but shouldn't a 9 year old play outside rather than sitting infront of a console?

Quote Originally Posted by Harthmut View Post
    Call me old fashioned but shouldn't a 9 year old play outside rather than sitting infront of a console?
    Can't he do both?

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post

That's a pretty solid deal, especially with the PS Plus membership, they occasionally give out free games to members so you stand to get a few more as part of that deal : P
    Ooh that's good to know, I literally had no idea what that membership meant. So they offer free games every now and then and you just DL them?
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Call of Duty: Black ops 2 should fit in perfectly with his age group + it is a pretty decent game/dlc! Just be sure to get the deluxe edition for nuketown, which is pretty fun.

Ooh that's good to know, I literally had no idea what that membership meant. So they offer free games every now and then and you just DL them?
    The membership is similar to XBL, and gives you additional features and services on PSN (which is has a decent free baseline service). Sony does offer up free games from time to time, I think Bioshock (or Bioshock 2) was the most recent giveaway they did for PS Plus members. It's not like, a standard thing, but it is somewhat common.

And you do download them, but I don't know if they're permanently attached to your account or not. I would imagine they are, but I've never been a PS Plus subscriber so couldn't say for certain.

10+ Year Old Account
    Biggest thing is discounts and free game giveaways really.
    The free games go inactive so you can't access em until you resubscribe. So it's not like you lose it forever.

http://us.playstation.com/psn/playstation-plus/

Bioshock 2
    http://www.joystiq.com/2012/12/03/fr...ting-tomorrow/
    Last edited by Remilia; 2012-12-06 at 11:57 PM.