Deleted

paypal, any caveats?

I'm trying to read the legalese that Paypal has for user conditions, but i'm not making any heads or tails of it.

What are the biggest things to watch out for? Any hidden costs or fees? Any concerns about safety and/or security?

Quote Originally Posted by nzall View Post
    I'm trying to read the legalese that Paypal has for user conditions, but i'm not making any heads or tails of it.

What are the biggest things to watch out for? Any hidden costs or fees? Any concerns about safety and/or security?
    Define "hidden".

They take a percentage off of any money coming into your account.

afaik paypal is one of the biggest payment site(or W/e it is) Been using it for years. quite happy about it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    Define "hidden".

They take a percentage off of any money coming into your account.
    Really? I don't recall getting money Taken when i send it in.
    If i want to take it off it costs 1 euro

10+ Year Old Account
    Edited for misinformation.
    Last edited by Letmesleep; 2012-11-19 at 10:25 AM.

I'm pretty sure they only take money away when you withdraw cash, 15% of it. I could be wrong.

Honestly though the only thing that annoys me about PayPal is the fact that the whole world doesn't use it yet.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sending money definitely cost me extra recently. I have no idea if you are charged for withdrawing, but definitely for sending. Correction on my part, my fee was only $5, I just logged in to check it. God knows where I saw the first figure.
    Last edited by Letmesleep; 2012-11-19 at 10:26 AM.

Deleted
    what do you mean with "withdraw cash"? do you mean transfering funds for a payment from one paypal to another? or something else? If i put, say, 500 EUR on there, would that cost me anything to maintain on there? what about paying a 50 EUR game with it on steam? what about the posting itself?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Letmesleep View Post
    Sending money definitely cost me extra recently. I have no idea if you are charged for withdrawing, but definitely for sending. Correction on my part, my fee was only $5, I just logged in to check it. God knows where I saw the first figure.
    Maybe its for when you do it diffrently as in the method? when i send in 100 euro i get 100 euro.
    EDIT:
    I guess i was right. with my method they don't charge me at all ( just took an SS) Though on my fiance's account they do.

I'm from Holland if that makes any diffrence, And don't have a Creditcard
    Last edited by mmoce3c3da46cf; 2012-11-19 at 04:14 PM.

Be VERY careful when using Paypal as a seller of any kind. I have sold an item on ebay, got positive feedback from the customer and then two months later had them chargeback to Paypal and the funds were removed from my account. I've heard tons of stories like this. Also, if you are ever making a payment to someone for something via Paypal and they ask you to send it as a gift to avoid seller fees NEVER DO IT. Basically that is you saying you did not expect anything in return and you can get screwed.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayita View Post
    Be VERY careful when using Paypal as a seller of any kind. I have sold an item on ebay, got positive feedback from the customer and then two months later had them chargeback to Paypal and the funds were removed from my account. I've heard tons of stories like this. Also, if you are ever making a payment to someone for something via Paypal and they ask you to send it as a gift to avoid seller fees NEVER DO IT. Basically that is you saying you did not expect anything in return and you can get screwed.
    You should always be carefull when you sell and buy stuff online. But sometimes you just get screwed! Wether you use PayPal or something else.
    There will Always be those people

Quote Originally Posted by Ayita View Post
    Be VERY careful when using Paypal as a seller of any kind.
    Paypal has virtually no safety for sellers, but full protection for buyers. They have a catch-all clause in their usage agreement that says they can freeze all the funds in your account, for no reason at all, at any time they want, with no prior warning. There have been a ridiculous amount of people that have had their funds frozen for long periods of time with no explanation. Meanwhile, Paypal earns millions of dollars on interest from frozen funds. They freeze any and every account that might relate to illegal, alegal, or tabboo activities that might implicate more responsibility on PayPal. PayPal is a bank, but they are not classified as so by the US Govt and therefore are not subject to all the same oversight, laws, etc. as every other bank in America. PayPal does NOT want this status to change, and thus they error on the side of "caution" and just freeze any account that is flagged for any reason.

PayPal is great if you are buying stuff, but please, do yourself a solid and stay away from selling through PayPal. I would personally recommend using Amazon Payments.

Deleted
    Paypal is a complete waste of time. Use internet banking to transfer funds to friends and use your creditcard to buy stuff online. You never know if the person you're doing business with is using a stolen paypal account (or hiding behind a proxy and then claiming it was stolen), any transaction you do can be chargebacked for the next 120 days, and paypal doesn't offer any real assistance in recovering the funds if you get scammed.
    Last edited by mmocff76f9a79b; 2012-11-19 at 11:09 PM.

As Longview stated, there should be no problems whatsoever as long as you use it for paying stuff (e.g. eBay and such), and the service acts just as a "proxy" for your money, and nothing is deposited there. Anything else, and you might get the short end.

by using paypal you're supporting google

Deleted
    If there would be an alternative, I'd use it. Paypal has locked my account for no reason other than withdrawing money for at least 5 times now (in fact, they lock it nearly every time I try to withdraw money) and it has cost me over 30 euros total to make the calls to get it open again.

They ask for random stuff like credit card out takes, documents with a picture, even household bills with address on it as well as other stuff for no apparent reason and the sad part is that even after sending them to Paypal, the automated system still locks your account and asks for the same things again, only you cant do that as its no longer an option (for example proving that youre the owner of the credit card).

So yea, if there was an alternative, I wouldnt touch Paypal again.. ever.

I have used PayPal for many years with no issues.

I've only ever been billed a transaction fee for withdrawing from my PayPal account to my chequing account. Been that way for years.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't ever fucking use it to buy anything intangible.

Otherwise you will never get a refund when the guy rips you off and tells you go fuck yourself 5 seconds later. Literally 5 seconds and hearing him say it.

http://i.imgur.com/gaXDf.png

No amount of screenshots or disclaimers would convince them to do anything.

The guy was otherwise legit too, he had lots of positive feedback.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Waifu View Post
    Maybe its for when you do it diffrently as in the method? when i send in 100 euro i get 100 euro.
    EDIT:
    I guess i was right. with my method they don't charge me at all ( just took an SS) Though on my fiance's account they do.

I'm from Holland if that makes any diffrence, And don't have a Creditcard
    Yeah, only europe currently uses iDeal (im from holland aswell), which is stupid if you ask me since iDeal is a very nice way of paying cash with. It's always free and instant. Really like it.