View Poll Results: Do you think SWTOR has increased its revenue going F2P?

Voters
266. You may not vote on this poll
  • Increase of revenue

    72 27.07%
  • Shot-term increase only, revenue will drop in the long term

    127 47.74%
  • About the same

    15 5.64%
  • Short-term decrease, but it will grow overtime

    15 5.64%
  • Decrease of revenue

    37 13.91%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
5
... LastLast
  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by hk-51 View Post
    Hear that everyone.
    Turbodymoman has spoken.
    And we all know how important he is.
    Hear, hear, another delusional TOR fan has come to flame someone stating the obvious truth about their precious game. No need to attack me, really, I'm not saying you should quit. I just said that this game going f2p won't attract even a thousand new subscribers (as in: players that will stay for a long period of time).

  2. #42
    Super Moderator Darsithis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    33,639
    Cut it out. Don't come into the thread to bash the game and the people who play it. Stick to the facts and keep it civil



  3. #43
    Logically, no. I'd say it's silly to spend a ton of money on that shop. But, most people aren't logical, and games with similar types of cash shops seem to do well. I don't understand it, personally, but if it works and makes the game bigger I'm all for it. There seems to be a ton of people on at all times on all planets, so people must still be flocking in in respectable numbers.

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbodymoman View Post
    Hear, hear, another delusional TOR fan has come to flame someone stating the obvious truth about their precious game. No need to attack me, really, I'm not saying you should quit. I just said that this game going f2p won't attract even a thousand new subscribers (as in: players that will stay for a long period of time).
    Another sub forum tourist who doesn't know shit about the swtor subforum.
    Lv30 (Warframe) - Zephyr - Boltor Prime - Lex Prime - Dakra Prime - Gold Seeker -
    Lv40 (Firefall) All Battleframes
    Lv60 (Neverwinter) - Rogue - Fighter - Wizard - Guardian - Cleric -

  5. #45
    Honestly, I see no single reason to put real money in the computer game.

    It is the same as cheating - in means that you are bypassing the game mechanics and spoil your game experience. But when you cheat by using trainers or using cheat engine, all you lose - is your game experience. When you cheat with your money you lose both your experience and your money. This does not make any sense to me.


    One of the biggest discoveries for me was when I installed some stupid primitive game on my phone. Temple Run, or whatever it was called.
    And after first lose it asked me if I want to buy... ingame gold. For real money. I've never seen any ways of wasting your money such useless way.
    I installed cheat engine on my phone, and created in the game the amount of gold equal to ~5k$ if I bought it on google play.

    I spoiled my ingame experience because I instantly got every possible item in the game, but at least I was not stupid enough to pay few thousand bucks to spoil my experience.

    But I heard that millions of people actually pay real money for different game currencies in phone games.

    And from now on, I think that there is no limit for people's stupidity. So yes, the revenue will increase.
    But it won't last forever. Cheating, especially by using real money makes people reconsider the values. Sooner or later they will understand that it is useless to play in the game where most of the things can be acquired by cheating. And stop playing.
    Last edited by traen; 2012-12-03 at 06:09 PM.

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by traen View Post
    Honestly, I see no single reason to put real money in the computer game.

    It is the same as cheating - in means that you are bypassing the game mechanics and spoil your game experience. But when you cheat by using trainers or using cheat engine, all you lose - is your game experience. When you cheat with your money you lose both your experience and your money. This does not make any sense to me.


    One of the biggest discoveries for me was when I installed some stupid primitive game on my phone. Temple Run, or whatever it was called.
    And after first lose it asked me if I want to buy... ingame gold. For real money. I've never seen any ways of wasting your money such useless way.
    I installed cheat engine on my phone, and created in the game the amount of gold equal to ~5k$ if I bought it on google play.

    I spoiled my ingame experience because I instantly got every possible item in the game, but at least I was not stupid enough to pay few thousand bucks to spoil my experience.

    But I heard that millions of people actually pay real money for different game currencies in phone games.

    And from now on, I think that there is no limit for people's stupidity. So yes, the revenue will increase.
    But it won't last forever. Cheating, especially by using real money makes people reconsider the values. Sooner or later they will understand that it is useless to play in the game where most of the things can be acquired by cheating. And stop playing.
    Mobile "games" aren't really games, and they are set up to drive you into the cash shop at every turn in order to make the game easier/actually allow you to play the game. Seriously, don't judge the microtransaction game based off of shitty mobile games, they're god awful.

    And it's nothing like cheating. At all. They don't sell anything that makes you more powerful than anyone else in-game. If you subscribe, you're just as powerful as someone who drops hundreds every month into the cash shop. It's not even remotely cheating. Did you even bother to look at what is being sold in the cash shop?

  7. #47
    Super Moderator Darsithis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    33,639
    Quote Originally Posted by traen View Post
    Honestly, I see no single reason to put real money in the computer game.

    It is the same as cheating - in means that you are bypassing the game mechanics and spoil your game experience. But when you cheat by using trainers or using cheat engine, all you lose - is your game experience. When you cheat with your money you lose both your experience and your money. This does not make any sense to me.


    One of the biggest discoveries for me was when I installed some stupid primitive game on my phone. Temple Run, or whatever it was called.
    And after first lose it asked me if I want to buy... ingame gold. For real money. I've never seen any ways of wasting your money such useless way.
    I installed cheat engine on my phone, and created in the game the amount of gold equal to ~5k$ if I bought it on google play.

    I spoiled my ingame experience because I instantly got every possible item in the game, but at least I was not stupid enough to pay few thousand bucks to spoil my experience.

    But I heard that millions of people actually pay real money for different game currencies in phone games.

    And from now on, I think that there is no limit for people's stupidity. So yes, the revenue will increase.
    But it won't last forever. Cheating, especially by using real money makes people reconsider the values. Sooner or later they will understand that it is useless to play in the game where most of the things can be acquired by cheating. And stop playing.
    I don't think you really looked at the game or what is available. Nothing offered in the Cartel Marketplace is anything that would give you an edge over a subscriber. They're convenience items, nothing more. Extra XP, moddable items (but you can only mod at your level anyway), social gear, novelty items (like a ball you can throw at people) and rare chances at pets/mounts. There are some outfits and gear sets, but nothing stronger than what you could afford to get in the first place.

    Comparing that to crappy phone games is way off base



  8. #48
    Pit Lord
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    2,392
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Comparing that to crappy phone games is way off base
    Stated far more politely than I would have.
    ^ The above should be taken with two grains of salt and a fistful of "chill the F* out".

  9. #49
    I suspect he won't be returning to defend himself. People tend to run in and lob these sorts of posts and then never return.
    Lv30 (Warframe) - Zephyr - Boltor Prime - Lex Prime - Dakra Prime - Gold Seeker -
    Lv40 (Firefall) All Battleframes
    Lv60 (Neverwinter) - Rogue - Fighter - Wizard - Guardian - Cleric -

  10. #50
    Pit Lord
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    2,392
    Yes, I call them "drive by" posts.
    ^ The above should be taken with two grains of salt and a fistful of "chill the F* out".

  11. #51
    Titan Kelimbror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Bear Taco, Left Hand of Death
    Posts
    13,986
    Quote Originally Posted by Profyrion View Post
    Yes, I call them "drive by" posts.
    Pretty much what his entire post history has been. I guess going outside to yell at the wind is kinda outdated. Gotta yell somewhere I guess. *shrug*

  12. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    Mobile "games" aren't really games, and they are set up to drive you into the cash shop at every turn in order to make the game easier/actually allow you to play the game. Seriously, don't judge the microtransaction game based off of shitty mobile games, they're god awful.
    There is no difference about how complicated the game is or what platform it runs on.
    It was just an example of how stupid people be to buy worthless things for real money. If they even buy a currency in "shitty mobile games", obviously they would buy something in other games.

    And it's nothing like cheating. At all. They don't sell anything that makes you more powerful than anyone else in-game. If you subscribe, you're just as powerful as someone who drops hundreds every month into the cash shop. It's not even remotely cheating. Did you even bother to look at what is being sold in the cash shop?
    Oh yes, it is still cheating.
    What would you say if I got the same advantage without paying money?

    Its like creating gold in diablo2 or skyrim by using trainer or developers console. Obviously you can earn this gold in game. And it will not make you more powerfull than anyone else in-game.
    But you did not earn it in game. You spawned it ignoring ingame mechanic. And such things are called cheating.

    And there is no real difference if you cheated by using trainer or by using your credit card.

  13. #53
    So basically you think f2p models are cheating.

    Okay.
    Lv30 (Warframe) - Zephyr - Boltor Prime - Lex Prime - Dakra Prime - Gold Seeker -
    Lv40 (Firefall) All Battleframes
    Lv60 (Neverwinter) - Rogue - Fighter - Wizard - Guardian - Cleric -

  14. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by traen View Post
    There is no difference about how complicated the game is or what platform it runs on.
    It was just an example of how stupid people be to buy worthless things for real money. If they even buy a currency in "shitty mobile games", obviously they would buy something in other games.
    Erm, yeah there is. Mobile games generally lack any amount of depth and are very shallow, mindless experiences. I'll totally give you that they're a great example of how people will pay for garbage, but they're not at all indicative of the bigger budget F2P/Freemium games. That's like saying that Farmville is indicative of all games, which is about as far from the truth as possible.

    Quote Originally Posted by traen View Post
    Oh yes, it is still cheating.
    What would you say if I got the same advantage without paying money?

    Its like creating gold in diablo2 or skyrim by using trainer or developers console. Obviously you can earn this gold in game. And it will not make you more powerfull than anyone else in-game.
    But you did not earn it in game. You spawned it ignoring ingame mechanic. And such things are called cheating.

    And there is no real difference if you cheated by using trainer or by using your credit card.
    Again, you haven't bothered to look into the cash shop one bit. There are no advantages over others sold in the cash shop in SWTOR. An experience boost has a finite use, and doesn't make your character any more powerful than anyone else, you just happen to hit level cap a bit faster, something that doesn't inherently lead to more power since you need to wait for others to hit max level to do the group content that awards good gear.

    Considering they don't sell credits, it's nothing at all like using console commands or selling gold in D2/Skyrim. Please, look into the cash shop before deciding to make wild assertions about it. It's not the greatest cash shop (I've been highly critical of it, and still am), but blatantly ignoring the contents of the cash shop while trying to claim any kind of truth behind your assertions is silly.

  15. #55
    Being able to hide helm is a game breaking advantage, yo.
    Lv30 (Warframe) - Zephyr - Boltor Prime - Lex Prime - Dakra Prime - Gold Seeker -
    Lv40 (Firefall) All Battleframes
    Lv60 (Neverwinter) - Rogue - Fighter - Wizard - Guardian - Cleric -

  16. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by hk-51 View Post
    Being able to hide helm is a game breaking advantage, yo.
    Totally.

    (But it is stupidly annoying)

  17. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    Totally.

    (But it is stupidly annoying)
    Agreed. And hopefully they will remove it once they have real things to put in the cash shop.
    You know, like a real f2p model.
    Lv30 (Warframe) - Zephyr - Boltor Prime - Lex Prime - Dakra Prime - Gold Seeker -
    Lv40 (Firefall) All Battleframes
    Lv60 (Neverwinter) - Rogue - Fighter - Wizard - Guardian - Cleric -

  18. #58
    Stood in the Fire
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    DFW
    Posts
    449
    Quote Originally Posted by traen View Post
    Honestly, I see no single reason to put real money in the computer game.

    It is the same as cheating - in means that you are bypassing the game mechanics and spoil your game experience. But when you cheat by using trainers or using cheat engine, all you lose - is your game experience. When you cheat with your money you lose both your experience and your money. This does not make any sense to me.


    One of the biggest discoveries for me was when I installed some stupid primitive game on my phone. Temple Run, or whatever it was called.
    And after first lose it asked me if I want to buy... ingame gold. For real money. I've never seen any ways of wasting your money such useless way.
    I installed cheat engine on my phone, and created in the game the amount of gold equal to ~5k$ if I bought it on google play.

    I spoiled my ingame experience because I instantly got every possible item in the game, but at least I was not stupid enough to pay few thousand bucks to spoil my experience.

    But I heard that millions of people actually pay real money for different game currencies in phone games.

    And from now on, I think that there is no limit for people's stupidity. So yes, the revenue will increase.
    But it won't last forever. Cheating, especially by using real money makes people reconsider the values. Sooner or later they will understand that it is useless to play in the game where most of the things can be acquired by cheating. And stop playing.
    I like to read these things called 'books'. But see, I don't have to defeat any villains, or level up the protagonist. I just get to enjoy the story. Is that cheating? I just want to be sure.

    Edit: 'Cause, ya know, I had to pay real money for an imaginary voyage.

  19. #59
    Pit Lord
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    all over the world
    Posts
    2,480
    i dont really care how big or small the revenue gains are. if they are generating enough money to keep the servers on, and the ability to produce decent content ill keep playing

  20. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by Parrin View Post
    I like to read these things called 'books'. But see, I don't have to defeat any villains, or level up the protagonist. I just get to enjoy the story. Is that cheating? I just want to be sure.
    Did you buy the book? If so you used an out of literary method to unlock it. You should only be able to read it if you write it. Otherwise you are skipping the mechanic of earning it.
    Lv30 (Warframe) - Zephyr - Boltor Prime - Lex Prime - Dakra Prime - Gold Seeker -
    Lv40 (Firefall) All Battleframes
    Lv60 (Neverwinter) - Rogue - Fighter - Wizard - Guardian - Cleric -

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •