Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Question MMORPG games that ruined a part of your life?

Have you ever experienced to be hooked on a mmorpg game so much that almost took a part of your life? The time when you didn't have social life, night outs, going out of the room just to pay and get the food you ordered, stopped going to school or uni and you didn't even know if it is day or night outside?
    Yes, it happened to me (Story of my life pic)

2 years for *snip*
    1 year for Lineage 2 (private server)
    8 months for Requiem
    Another 2 years for WoW *snip*
    And now, I've been playing*snip* for 4 months…

I know some of you have also experienced or experiencing the same situation so what are those damn games?

<Infracted>
    Don't advertise private servers please.
    Last edited by Anakso; 2012-11-23 at 04:51 PM.

Time spent having fun is not ruined time. You probably won't live past 70 anyway and if you do that will give you ample time to make up for the time you "wasted" having fun.

And quite a few illnesses.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xavas View Post
    Time spent having fun is not ruined time. You probably won't live past 70 anyway and if you do that will give you ample time to make up for the time you "wasted" having fun.

And quite a few illnesses.
    You're right, i honestly couldn't find the exact words to describe it.. But hell yeah i had so much fun and still enjoying these moments

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kalilyrr View Post
    Have you ever experienced to be hooked on a mmorpg game so much that almost took a part of your life? The time when you didn't have social life, night outs, going out of the room just to pay and get the food you ordered, stopped going to school or uni and you didn't even know if it is day or night outside?
    Yes, it happened to me (Story of my life pic)

2 years for Ragnarok
    1 year for Lineage 2 (private server)
    8 months for Requiem
    Another 2 years for WoW (neverendless & molten)
    And now, I've been playing Maestia for 4 months…

I know some of you have also experienced or experiencing the same situation so what are those damn games?
    Yes, Conquer Online. /ashamed
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

No game ruins anyones life, people do that themselves.

I know you "just" opened a thread since you needed some talking and shit. And yeah a thread title is no scientific stuff, nevertheless i almost freak out when i see such. People see it and, in the evening the thought "damn games destroy people" settles in their mind.

I wouldn't say that it was a ruined part of my life because I loved every second of it, but from the end of vanilla WoW until midway through WoTLK I played every second I wasn't at work or sleeping. Some nights I wouldn't sleep and some days I would call out of work. I missed a few family events due to being "sick" so I could play, but if I had the opportunity to do it all again I would.

I... I'm afraid I failed to understand why not having "nights out" is a bad thing.

However, I've played WoW for... uh... Some time. And T4C for 2 years.

No, I learned a lot from raid leading in WoW, working with people, resource management, keeping everyone happy yet focused, etc. Things school can't teach. I don't regret my time playing it, but I wouldn't do it again.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

i wouldnt say ruined my life, you have a lot of free time when u live in a town of 50 people and the closet place with people in it was 1 1/2hrs away so i could play 5-16hrs at a time without it affecting my life at all

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    So months or years worth of time spent on a certain type of hobby is a "waste" of time... but others it is not?

How is gaming any different from sports, or racing cars, or taking pictures of nature, or ANY HOBBY IN EXISTENCE?
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Well I don't think any game can ruin your life. As much as you might want to think so, you ultimately made the choice to play the game.

For the point of the thread, for myself it was World of Warcraft for around 5 years.

The biggest part was that I never got to experience the bar scene (not that it sounded too appealing in the first place) or have a more local social life. I have a pretty decent online social life where I chat with friends every day, do things with them every day and even see them in my hometown every once in a great while.

That said, I don't regret playing WoW for 6+ years, D2 for 6+ years, D1 for 3+ years, SC1 for 2+ years, not that the latter 3 are MMORPGs but try telling a hardcore D2 power leveler / PvPer it wasn't life and soul sucking. Also, I still play MMORPGs with my family.

And I still hang out with local friends every few days. So ya, not much has been ruined except the maybe puking in bathrooms and getting laid a lot?

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Nope, actually made some rl friends from wow and my social life is normal

10+ Year Old Account
    Not rly...it was actuly usefull. Whole class skiping a last hour of very boring school science just too go to home faster and get ready for a raid. (and we did this every wendsday)
    Don't sweat the details!!!

A game can't ruin someones life, the person playing the game over all else can ruin their own life with their actions.

I am one of the very few that can't get addicted to MMO's. I have played many but I always get bored. I have played WoW the longest, on and off since release day but I always play for a while and then get bored and quit and then go back and play a year later.

Saw WoW ruin a friend's life when he chose to raid Molten Core instead of pick up his girlfriend at the bus station after work. That was probably the most addicted he ever was... and the nadir of his playing tenure. I think at that point you have to take a step back and reassess what's going on if you're neglecting the well-being of others besides just yourself.

Wow kinda ruined a portion of my early adulthood (18 - 21). I rarely got out with my friends since I had to raid at night, was thoroughly overweight and kinda hated myself. Now, 4 years later, I am back on track (lost a ton of weight - 20 kgs and am kinda ripped) have got a decent social life and I play other games in my free time. Though in reflection, I regret nothing. People who went through similar stuff often go on like "I could have done this, and change that, etc." Not me. I believe in living in the moment, not regretting anything. Did I have a bad time raiding and playing WoW? Heck no! I did something I enjoyed profoundly and now, when its over, I do feel like that part of my life should stay in the past and I tend to remember it in a good light. I am kinda optimistic so, yeah

Quote Originally Posted by bionics View Post
    Saw WoW ruin a friend's life when he chose to raid Molten Core instead of pick up his girlfriend at the bus station after work.
    Your statement kind of contradicts itself. Your friend chose to ruin his life, WoW didn't make him do anything.

It's my belief that video games don't "ruin" anything. It's the gamer that chooses to ruin his or her life.

Never ruined any part of my life, just play in moderation, a lot of things should take priority over gaming imo, so as long as you got that sorted it's no problem playing games a couple of hours every now and then.

Only really played WoW regularly btw, never felt like that was a waste, always good fun. Been in the same guild since mid TBC, havn't really played much PvE at all since killing Arthas though. Mostly just casually enjoying Arena(forever dualist kind of ratings since TBC), Bgs and a 5-man every now and then, and supplying the gbank with stuff... ok I admit I do a bit of ganking as well if someone messes around with guild mates, most of the guild are pvers, with little to no pvp skills but me and a few others are decent so we usually exact revenge if we are online :P.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    So months or years worth of time spent on a certain type of hobby is a "waste" of time... but others it is not?

How is gaming any different from sports, or racing cars, or taking pictures of nature, or ANY HOBBY IN EXISTENCE?
    This, and this again. Long I have felt bad about my gaming habits, but why is it different from spending hours of model trains, sports, or whatever else? I'm not a very sociable person, I don't enjoy going to the club every friday night or to be around a lot of people constantly.

Any hobby can become a problem the moment it interferes with your duties, though, like homework and work. I think it's safe to say every hobby at some point will do that, because it's something you love to do so much. Keeping yourself in check can be hard, but that's not "because of the game", or whatever other hobby you enjoy, but because of you. I have been weak in that, for sure. Funnily enough everyone was completely OK with that when it was my writing hobby - hours upon hours every single day writing, and my parents would be proud and possibly understanding that my grades dropped. When it was gaming however my entire environment completely collapsed on me and "intervened".

Anyway, it still angers me that everyone will be understanding if you can't come to the club tonight cause you have a match coming up tomorrow, but that everyone will raise eyebrows and possibly drop all contact with you because you can't come as you have a raid tonight.
    Last edited by Cirque; 2012-11-19 at 04:12 PM.