Help using a SSD

Hey guys im fixing to buy this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820148530

My question is once i get it hooked up is there a simple way to can trasfer stuff from my HD i have now onto the SSD.

Can i go into the Computer C drive and copy and paste whatever i need into the SSD location drive?

Like for Windows 7 would I just copy and paste the whole folder that says windows and then delete what i take from my old hard drive to the SSD?
    i7 3770k @ 4.3 GHz | Cool Master Evo Push/Pull | Asrock z77 Extreme 4 | GTX 680 4GB SLI | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | WD Blue 1TB | CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB| Seasonic X850W | Thermaltake Element V Black Edition| CrossOver 27Q 2560x1440 S-IPS 27" Monitor | Razer DeathStalker |Naga MMO Champion |Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    When moving a OS you need to clone the drive via software I believe

Example here > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Wu95L0LHW4&feature=plcp

For most games you can do that, however for windows that is not possible, you will have to re-install windows on the SSD.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seiz View Post
    Hey guys im fixing to buy this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820148530

My question is once i get it hooked up is there a simple way to can trasfer stuff from my HD i have now onto the SSD.

Can i go into the Computer C drive and copy and paste whatever i need into the SSD location drive?

Like for Windows 7 would I just copy and paste the whole folder that says windows and then delete what i take from my old hard drive to the SSD?
    Oh my...

You will need to reinstall windows onto your new SSD and then copy over what you need from the other then wipe it. However, you sounds like you have no idea what you're doing, I'd strongly recommend you get a professional to do it and make backups first!

---------- Post added 2012-11-19 at 01:58 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by jmmathe1988 View Post
    When moving a OS you need to clone the drive via software I believe
    Cloning windows is rarely a good idea. Although the hardware will mostly be the same (except the HDD of course), the SSD will most likely be significantly smaller than the previous drive. Good software could probably do it but I wouldn't recommend it.

The exception to that rule of course is when you're going from a smaller disk to a bigger one which I highly doubt is the case when moving to SSD.
    Last edited by stuck4cash; 2012-11-19 at 02:59 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'd start from scratch and re-install windows. Always good to start fresh with something like this
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Most disk cloning software does a good job and you are extremely unlikely to have issues when the obvious criteria is met.

I would highly recommend a fresh install of Windows on the SSD.
    Playing since 2007.