Page 13 of 31 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Malkazam View Post
    1: WoW Cataclysm
    2: WoW Mist of dailys.. sorry.. Pandaria
    3: Diablo 3
    Haha lol I was thinking the same thing WoW still is huge though pitty most of us can't stop going back to that damn game

I don't claim to be a huge game but SWTOR has to be the big one. Again, game wasn't to my liking I know some like it and no knock to them but I played it for first month and really didn't find no excitement to the game at all. Considering all the hype surrounding it, me included, and now its F2P I'm sure Bioware expected more.

Quote Originally Posted by Oncereborn View Post
    Haha lol I was thinking the same thing WoW still is huge though pitty most of us can't stop going back to that damn game
    Combined these games (WOW + expansions + Diablo 3) must have sold around 40 million copies on ONE platform.

Total revenue in 8 years WOW alone is around 8 billion dollars revenue (last 5 years around 1.2 billion dollars per year according to Blizzard stock holders balance sheets...)...

That's 4 times more than Avatar... 2 times more than the complete COD franchise (thank you subscriptions)...

Yeah, big failure....
    Last edited by BenBos; 2012-11-20 at 12:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shon237 View Post
    I don't claim to be a huge game but SWTOR has to be the big one. Again, game wasn't to my liking I know some like it and no knock to them but I played it for first month and really didn't find no excitement to the game at all. Considering all the hype surrounding it, me included, and now its F2P I'm sure Bioware expected more.
    Bioware is a horrible game company

SWTOR was a decent game that was ruined by a company that has no idea how to operate an MMO, I don't think it deserves a mention in the top 3. Maybe top 10...for me a failure has to have less than 50% redeeming qualities about it in gameplay or design and SWTOR does not fit that category.

Cataclysm does deserve a #3 spot. The other two slots...I'd have to think about. Probably Aion for either #1 or #2.

3: Daikatana

"John Romero will make you his bitch". If your marketting campaign is all about belittling your potential customers, at least make sure to back up that attitude with something good. And basically, Daikatana was not. Sporting a bad storyline, outdated graphics, confusing game design and not the least - bugs aplenty - the game will forever go down in gaming history as the way to not make a game. The reviewers were not impressed, and took great joy in slaughtering what was left. As did the rest of the internet. And some of it for good reasons.

For a very in-depth review at everything wrong with this game, and why it was such a disappointment, take a look at
    http://www.firingsquad.com/games/daikatana/default.asp

Not quite making it to the list, but failing for similar reasons: Doom 3

2: Final Fantasy 14

Square Enix' second attempt at making a wow killer... a game so counterintuitive, annoying and un-fun that the head of the company publicly apologized and offered everyone free playtime until the game could be fixed. Which never happened, by the way, despite several attempts. The game was shut down permanently earlier this month.

I think gamespot covered it succinctly.
    http://www.gamespot.com/final-fantas...eview-6280901/

Not quite making it to the list, but failing for similar reasons: Final Fantasy 13.

1: E.T the Extra Terrestial (Atari, 1982)

It is easy to see why this game is considered the worst financial game disaster in history. It's made back in the good old atari days, when games were simple. But even by the standards of the day, this game was just not cutting it, and when you look at it's 5 week development cycle you may understand why. Considering that the game was being marketed - and sold - as the big Christmas event of the year and licensed off the best movie of the year, it had all the possibilities of being a success. Atari dastardly ordered 5 million cartridges made, which was probably way optimistic. But hey, they did manage to sell a million-and-a-half as the christmas gift of choice for the geeky atari owner. Which I guess isn't that bad.

Except most of them were promptly returned by annoyed customers when they discovered just how bad the game was. Atari lost more money than they really had, and were sitting on a stock of unsellable cartridges. The solution? They buried it deep in the desert somewhere, and the incident is probably the main cause for the following crash in the video game market, which more or less killed Atari as a company.

There are several other games from this era that could make the list, like the famous Atari Pac-Man port, or the notorious Custer's Revenge. Both being incredibly crappy games on so many levels, but neither really being disappointments
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_video_game_burial
    Last edited by Danner; 2012-11-20 at 12:41 AM.
    Non-discipline since 2006. Also: fails. "Chakra, when the walls fell"

So is this thread actually about game failures or is it just "pick 3 games I didn't like?" Because that's what most people seem to be doing here.

Quote Originally Posted by Danner View Post

"John Romero will make you his bitch". If your marketting campaign is all about belittling your potential customers, at least make sure to back up that attitude with something good. And basically, Daikatana was not. Sporting a bad storyline, outdated graphics, confusing game design and not the least - bugs aplenty - the game will forever go down in gaming history as the way to not make a game. The reviewers were not impressed, and took great joy in slaughtering what was left. As did the rest of the internet. And some of it for good reasons.

For a very in-depth review at everything wrong with this game, and why it was such a disappointment, take a look at
    http://www.firingsquad.com/games/daikatana/default.asp

Not quite making it to the list, but failing for similar reasons: Doom 3

Square Enix' second attempt at making a wow killer... a game so counterintuitive, annoying and un-fun that the head of the company publicly apologized and offered everyone free playtime until the game could be fixed. Which never happened, by the way, despite several attempts. The game was shut down permanently earlier this month.

Not quite making it to the list, but failing for similar reasons: Final Fantasy 13.

1: E.T the Extra Terrestial (Atari, 1982)

It is easy to see why this game is considered the worst financial game disaster in history. It's made back in the good old atari days, when games were simple. But even by the standards of the day, this game was just not cutting it, and when you look at it's 5 week development cycle you may understand why. Considering that the game was being marketed - and sold - as the big Christmas event of the year and licensed off the best movie of the year, it had all the possibilities of being a success. Atari dastardly ordered 5 million cartridges made, which was probably way optimistic. But hey, they did manage to sell a million-and-a-half as the christmas gift of choice for the geeky atari owner. Which I guess isn't that bad.

Except most of them were promptly returned by annoyed customers ater they discovered just how bad the game was. Atari lost more money than they really had, and were sitting on a stock of unsellable cartridges. The solution? They buried it deep in the desert somewhere, and the incident is probably the main cause for the following crash in the video game market, which more or less killed Atari as a company.

There are several other games from this era that could make the list, like the famous Atari Pac-Man port, or the notorious Custer's Revenge. Both being incredibly crappy games on so many levels, but neither really being disappointments
    I agree with point 1.

I still remember the story. The storage problem of non sellable cratridges ... was this huge that they needed to dig for weeks to burry the cartridges. The problem was that by the time the game was made ... (1982) the new home computers with far better graphics were taking over the markets. (Atari 400/800 and Commodore 64); so the demand for the Atari console games crashed in just a couple of months.

And the game was terrible of course...

Atari made the BEST game for the Atari home computers though: STAR RAIDERS. Just look it up on wikipedia. It was elected in the top 10 of best video games ever. Full 3D and combat in space ... in 1980... on a 4K Ram cartridge... Awesome. 8 K Ram at the time costed around ... 200 dollars (that's 8 KiloBytes !). I bought a TRS 80 with 8 K Ram back in 1979 and the man who sold it to me said I would NEVER need more than 4K RAm tops. (showing me a print listing of 6 pages making up the 4K Ram memory...)

Oh the good times ... Moon lander was my very first home video game: some digits showing your speed of the LEM module and you needed to push the space bar to handle the rockets to reduce speed. The monitor could only handle characters of course ...
    Last edited by BenBos; 2012-11-20 at 12:52 AM.

Tropico 4. i liked tropico 3, so i bought number 4, and it was basically the same, only difference was like 3 new buildings, rest of the game was exactly the same.
    Too cool for a signature

These are as per my personal opinion - games I have been most disappointed in recently. I can't call "game failures" on things that were widely popular, but I thought "failed"

1. For me, Aion - way to grindy to get to max level.
    2. Then, xCom - awesome game that is waaaay to short. I finished the temple quest and was then like... wtf? finished?
    3. Age of Empires on-line - Awesome idea destroyed by greed. I still log on from time to time, but they have made it far too cash shop orientated to win major quests.
    ★ twitter @WockyCC ★ blog wockycc.tumblr.comyou-tube: Wocky GAMING
    Recent Video ★ Why playing an MMORPG is like dating
    Partner/Member of the CURSE "Union for Gamers" YouTube Gaming Network | ★ Wocky's Computer Specs: HERE
    Wocky "unplugged" YouTube (Real Life)Steam Games List"

Quote Originally Posted by Kuthe View Post
    APB, unfortunally. I personally adored the game, but it just flopped so hard.

FF14, COPY PASTA'd! Keen for 14.5 though.

SWTOR, in a way. Sure it failed on the subscription stuff, but it still has brilliant stories.

i totally forgot about ABP, game had so much potential, but it was buggy as hell when i played it.
    Too cool for a signature

I'm kind of curious, what was their first attempt?

APB could have been so good, my group of friends and I had such a blast playing that game despite most of the drawbacks to certain missions. But RTW's inability to keep up with the hackers really sunk it. GamersFirst tried, but it just didn't feel like the same game anymore. That said I still pumped over 100 hours into it, to me that's not really a failure considering it only ever cost me the retail price in that time. Was definitely a game you loved to hate, but it's one game I would actually consider to be worthy of this list even though it's not a personal "failure." It did manage to kill an entire company in the process.
    Last edited by Tradewind; 2012-11-20 at 01:04 AM.

was FF14 the one that had ridiculously complicated menus in the game to do anything?
    Too cool for a signature

Quote Originally Posted by obnoxiouslol View Post
    I'm kind of curious, what was their first attempt?
    Final Fantasy 11 of course.

Though I guess that is not quite factious. Final Fantasy 11 was (is) an MMORPG, and quite a popular one at it, but was never labelled as a "wow killer", except by sensationalist forum posters like myself. Nor was Final Fantasy 14. But as they say, never let a fact get in the way of a good story! :P

Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    was FF14 the one that had ridiculously complicated menus in the game to do anything?
    Yes. All which were server-side controlled, and suffering from a monumental input lag due to every server being placed in uzbekistan or something. Wanted to equip a sword? Click escape, wait 4 seconds for the menu to open up, and take it from there. Several sub-menus later, each with that 4 second input lag, and you got to the right spot.

As you can see, wow ain't half bad :P
    Last edited by Danner; 2012-11-20 at 01:03 AM.

1 Sw tor
    2 Age of Conan
    3 dragon age 2

I'll reserve my opinion of Diablo3 till after the xpan , d2 wasn't all that till the xpan aswell ^^

Final Fantasy 11 of course.

Though I guess that is not quite factious. Final Fantasy 11 was an MMORPG, and quite a popular one at it, but was never labelled as a "wow killer", except by sensationalist forum posters like myself. Nor was Final Fantasy 14. But as they say, never let a fact get in the way of a good story! :P
    Except Final Fantasy 11 came out way before WoW and was very successful? Please do not bring FF11 into the conversation of "wow killers".

1: SW:TOR

It was not a bad game per say, just felt very unfinished and rushed. My biggest grudge with SW:TOR(And most other MMO's) was mobility and combat. It literally felt like going back 40 years into the past and actually play The Episode 4-6 movies, slow combat and stale mobility, you felt trapped inside your hero. The entire game feels like this video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYgDHXVKsTc .
    The one thing that makes WoW what it is today is that Blizzard realized that good movement=Immersion, other game houses fail to recognize this. Movement gives your players immersion with the game world, it entices them to explore and to finish the content you've created for more than just material reasons.

2: WoW: Cataclysm

While the base game is the best that has ever been created, Cata was not. False promises and bad execution made this one of the bigger flops in gaming history. From Vanilla through TBC and WOTLK you were emerged with the game world and with your hero(es), each expansion felt like an extension to your adventure and you never felt forced to do things as they were intended, it was truly an open world with amazing possibilities. When Cata hit the shelves all that was taken away! It felt like a fresh restart, an entirely new game that your hero was no longer a part of. Everything you had worked for meant nothing, you weren't anything special anymore, just one common little fish in a sea of million.
    I'am of course talking about The special little snowflake syndrome. Having your mount that took 5 months to farm, that title only 20 people on the realm has or maybe even be the one who bugged his way into old IF, that was what made the game great, the fame it brought and the inspiration it gave other players. That genuinity was removed with Cataclysm and IMO it was the beginning of the end of the greatest game in history.

3: Borderlands 2
    I don't have much to say about this title as I didn't finish the game. It was supposed to be an open world adventure game like Skyrim.
    Instead it felt like everything was predetermined and you didn't have any say to where you want to explore or quest, felt like any other SP game out there. I expected too much and I got butthurt, this was my fault and not the game in itself, still it was a huge disappointment for me.
    Last edited by Jevlin; 2012-11-20 at 01:04 AM.
    Something, Something, Something, Dark Side.

For me, some of the failures of my gaming purchases are:

Age of Empires: Mythologies: Something about this iteration of Age of Empires just didn't sit well with me. AoE2 was awesome, and then this thing was made, and it made me /sadface

State of Emergency: Twas fun for the first few hours. Then it just got so retarded. http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2002/02/22 <-- That sums up the way I felt. I should have been more cautious when Gamestop had more used copies than new, and it was a new game.

And that's all that I can think of. But as an overall, any Bioware/EA game, and Bethesda game has been complete shit to me.

Quote Originally Posted by obnoxiouslol View Post
    Except Final Fantasy 11 came out way before WoW and was very successful? Please do not bring FF11 into the conversation of "wow killers".
    Yeh, my bad. As I said. Sensationalist.