Page 17 of 31 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Shifthappens View Post
    Whoever called Mass Effect 3 a failure i will punch you in the face!

for me it has to be Deus EX: Human Revolution, absolute garbage of a game, worst $60 ever spent, no joke.
    how can anyone call Deus Ex: Human Revolution an, and i quote "absolute garbage of a game, worst $60 ever spent"

I understand that you may not like 3rd personne action RPG shooting/stealth game but, in its genre, it is magnificiently done, a masterpiece.
    I did love it, and most of professional and public critic of video games too.

I think you were expecting something else from the game, a Call of Duty gameplay maybe, or panda perhaps i don't know, in any case, you did not understand the game.

I suppose you are not a fan of blade runner universe either.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    99% of the games named in this thread turned a sizable profit.

Clearly you guys don't understand what failure is.
    99% of the opinions here are from a gamer perspective.

Clearly you don't understand what enjoyment means...

XIII - the game was pretty intense at points but the ending and the fact they never made a sequel is beyond me did anyone play the remake if perfect dark... yeah my thoughts exactly. and omg half the crap on them computers you can buy from the market which cost 10 dollars for a console and have 10000 games. they seem to flop BIG!

Quote Originally Posted by Danner View Post
    Final Fantasy 11 of course.

Though I guess that is not quite factious. Final Fantasy 11 was (is) an MMORPG, and quite a popular one at it, but was never labelled as a "wow killer", except by sensationalist forum posters like myself.
    I don't see how a game which came out almost 2 years before the release of WoW could be labelled as a "WoW killer" lol
    MMOs were much different back in FFXI times.
    While it's true the game utterly failed in growing up enough to live up to the change of times (mainly because of japanese approach and because they didn't want to drop down the PS2 support), it's definitely not a failure.
    It's also the most profitable game, to time, that SE ever released.

You may have not liked it, it definitely wasn't a game for everyone, and it was full of issues and especially in 2012 it shows all of its problems (and they are many), but while not as successful as WoW it's been a really nice game. Many of the people who experienced FFXI back when it was "new" say that they have never have been able to experience those "feelings" in any other game.
    Let's just say it was one of those games which were incredibly slow and frustrating, and it took an insane amount of work and dedication to get even the minimal sense of "reward", but when you managed to, that feeling of reward stayed with you for a long, long time. It was really big, really satisfying and really long-lasting.
    It's just that it took incredible amolunt of patience to achieve them.

Yes. All which were server-side controlled, and suffering from a monumental input lag due to every server being placed in uzbekistan or something. Wanted to equip a sword? Click escape, wait 4 seconds for the menu to open up, and take it from there. Several sub-menus later, each with that 4 second input lag, and you got to the right spot.
    Yes, one of the several issues of the original vanilla FFXIV was that, in the foolish and naive attempt to limit the influence of botting and hacking, they put like 90% of the stuff server-side instead of client side.
    Result? like 5 seconds lag to do ANYTHING. Equip an item, open a menu, browse a shop. Not to count the ugly netcode full of useless checks that was slowing it down and creating server and client crashes whenever more than X people were close to each other.
    What's even more ironic is that they failed at containing the use of Bots or Hacks lol, so yeah...
    It was one of the many issues of the game and server clients of FFXIV, greatly reducing the enjoyability of the game.
    Of course there were countless other problems, but also quite a few interesting and fresh ideas.

From this point of view it's kinda sad that the original FFXIV died to become "FFXIV: A Realm Reborn" which will undoubtely be a much better game, but also something much less original and unique as the wanted FFXIV wanted to be.
    We are already so full of bad and good WoW clones that honestly I would have liked an "original" game that tries to be different and aimes at a solid niche of users, rather than the Nth game that aims at a large mass of players and tries to steal users from WoW...
    But we'll see what happens in 2013 when "A Realm Reborn" launches, I guess.

---------- Post added 2012-11-20 at 01:37 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    ah, i never played the game, i just remember hearing about its terrible menu system you needed to use while playing. how did they ever think that was a good idea?
    It's simple: they programmed a game for PC thinking they were doing a Console game.
    Thinking they could do what they did with FFXI again in 2012, that is having the same user interface for both console and PC users, while it's pretty clear that those different platforms need different UIs.
    (and tbh, that interface would have sucked even for console, altough the situation would have been much more bearable without the Client/Server stuff I talked about in my earlier post)

Quote Originally Posted by Vankrys View Post
    how can anyone call Deus Ex: Human Revolution an, and i quote "absolute garbage of a game, worst $60 ever spent"

I understand that you may not like 3rd personne action RPG shooting/stealth game but, in its genre, it is magnificiently done, a masterpiece.
    I did love it, and most of professional and public critic of video games too.

I think you were expecting something else from the game, a Call of Duty gameplay maybe, or panda perhaps i don't know, in any case, you did not understand the game.

I suppose you are not a fan of blade runner universe either.
    While I wouldn't call it a failure of Invisible War proportions, it's still not nearly as good as the first. It's good as far as recent AAA titles go but far from a masterpiece.

OP title says failure.
    OP post heavily implies personal disappointment.

I'm gonna go ahead and say I trust the post more than the title.

In the 'MMO' area I'll go with SW:TOR, Warhammer Online, Aion.
    For 'single player' games I'm thinking Heroes 4, COD/Black Ops/all of em' <<modern shooters>>, ANY LotR game, Duke Nukem Forever ... and I can go on...

Again, just because something is financial success does not mean it wouldn't fail on other areas. The OP didn't demand financial failures.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

One I personally experienced was Gothic 3. I guess its not that well known, since its from Germany but the Gothic Series was pretty big here and it always stood for rock solid RPGs. Then came Gothic 3. It was a bugfest and such a financial desaster that the publisher jowood went broke.

Wow. A lotta people hating on Sw:ToR! D= For the most part, I thought the levelling experience of ToR (specifically the 'class quests') is one of the best things to happen to MMOs in a long time. I heard the end-game was crap, but if you just cap a character then play an alt for the story, seems pretty good.

I think Silent Hill: Book Of Memories looks to be a terrible, terrible direction to take the game in. A multi-player dungeon crawler...? What are they thinking?! Silent Hill is a franchise that should never have a multi-player feature regardless of medium. The player's sense isolation is a huge factor in creating the iconic atmosphere of the games (the first few anyway). Then, there's the actual choice of making it a dungeon-crawler, featuring that ever prevalent cash cow, good ol' Mr. Pyramid Head, who has become a cheap mascot for the series after being an iconic inner demon for a torn protagonist. Bad, Konami! BAD!

Not sure what else really, I don't think there's many games that have invoked rage through disappointment in me. The state of FPS's like COD maybe. I thought the first Modern Warfare was good! A breath of fresh air after several gaming generations of WW2 scenarios. Then, they made the second instalment, which felt a little rushed with not much in the way of innovative changes. And then, there was the third MW. Absolute garbage. No graphics improvement, terrible maps deliberately catered to those bloody annoying long-sprint duration knife-happy players that spend more time stabbing than shooting, and a total abandonment of campaign investment. *Patoo-eey!*

ODST was pretty shit too, I guess. Ooh! And Mass Effect 3's ending (pre-much needed damage control patch). Still, a sloppy and not-so-great ending to an otherwise amazing franchise, including 90% of ME3.

Wow. A lotta people hating on Sw:ToR! D= For the most part, I thought the levelling experience of ToR (specifically the 'class quests') is one of the best things to happen to MMOs in a long time. I heard the end-game was crap, but if you just cap a character then play an alt for the story, seems pretty good.
    And most players agree, 1-50 was amazing. Absolutely mind blowingly fun. The end game was just so horrid and so horrible with crew skills being unbalanced and worthless, a horrible GTN UI, and the list goes on.

I hope they can revive the game on the next expansion. Or make SWTOR2 and not suck. One or the other...

Mechagnome
    Swtor
    Age of Conan
    some other mmo

gw2 wasnt a failure imo but it surely was a major dissapointment, atleast for me, so that's why im not putting that on my list

WoW Cataclysm
    WoW MoP
    GW2

I wont play wow until a interesting expansion comes out

Quote Originally Posted by Shifthappens View Post
    Whoever called Mass Effect 3 a failure i will punch you in the face!

for me it has to be Deus EX: Human Revolution, absolute garbage of a game, worst $60 ever spent, no joke.
    I like how you say that and then trash Deus Ex. :P
    Mass Effect 3 was a massive failure in my book because it deviated so far away from the original game, which was closer to an RPG than just a bland action shooter. Stats became so simplified and the game left out important details from the previous games.

Quote Originally Posted by UcanDoSht View Post
    1. Star Wars
    2. GW2
    3. WoW: Cataclysm
    I have to agree. I do think D3 needs to slip in there above SWTOR, but you could not be more right about GW2 and WoW: Cata

Brink - I wanted this game to be good. Like TF2 with tricks. I was so sad...

Dragon Age 2 - Recycled assets, lack luster story, short, uninspired, I was unimpressed.

SWTOR - I actually didn't expect much from this game. I hated how people were hyping it. I expected an average MMO that I would play to level cap. The game was a buggy unoptimized mess with fun draining features all over the place. I could have been a great B2P game or game for new MMORPG players but somewhere someone messed that all up. It doesn't help how Bioware guarded their polished turd as if it were gold or how the hardest part of the raids were the bugs. Or how it took me 9000 load screens just to go to the next planet. Its liked they planned an amazing game but threw it all together the night before. It had a great story, I liked the art direction and they had a few good ideas. But not nearly enough.

---------- Post added 2012-11-20 at 08:09 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Vvhooya View Post
    WoW Cataclysm
    WoW MoP
    GW2

I wont play wow until a interesting expansion comes out
    I don't like WoW but maybe you should quit MMOs? The only fault in GW2 IMO is if you're expecting a long term game like WoW.

Are you currently playing any MMORPGs? I could understand your PoV it it were just those 3 that you don't like

Quote Originally Posted by wynnyelle View Post
    I like how you say that and then trash Deus Ex. :P
    Indeed, Deus Ex HR was one of the best games I've played.

Mass Effect 3 was a massive failure in my book because it deviated so far away from the original game, which was closer to an RPG than just a bland action shooter. Stats became so simplified and the game left out important details from the previous games.
    Maybe its just my opinion, but I thought 3's combat was the perfect mix of the faults of 1 and 2. 1 was over complicated (YAY +1% to encryption!) and 2 was oversimplified. I loved the ability evolution myself.

Personally I've always found stat-intensive RPGs to be tedious.

If a video game developer removed tumors from players, they'd whine about nerfing their loss in weight and access to radiation powers. -Cracked.com

Ultima X.. i think the maker even issued an apology.

Field Marshal
    Well Im not going to read through 17 pages but Advent Rising for the Xbox was one of the worst games of all time, unimaginative story ala Star Wars: A New Hope, bad button macros, glitches in every level, impossible bosses, left wide open for a sequel .. never happened for good reason

1. Duke Nukem Forever (Pls no)
    2. Starcraft Ghost (Because it was never made)
    3. Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning (Poor Kurt Schilling)
    When she was just a girl, she expected the world, but it flew away from her reach so she ran away in her sleep and dreamed of para-para-paradise, para-para-paradise, para-para-paradise every time she closed her eyes..

Anything by Ubisoft with the exception of HAWX 2 (and i'm being VERY lenient there).
    SW:ToR - It had potential, but it just seemed to take WoW's balance and then "add sparklies" even after they said they wouldn't.
    SupCom 2 - The original really stood out at the time, and it is still amongst my top games. The sequel though, well, that was terrible. Just terrible.
    I'd also say BF3, but only on the basis of the DLC and premium bullshit they've got going on and not on the game itself because frankly, i love the game for what it is.

Compare with some of the games from my top 10 (not in order); Skyrim, Bad Company 2, Audiosurf, Atom Zombie Smasher, TF2, Enemy Territory and SC2, and you can probably see that i like a mix of games, preferably with some innovation (See Enemy Territory - landmines and the different classes made it so, or Audiosurf or Atom Zombie Smasher). Games that don't seem to innovate in a way that interest me are going to the bottom of the pile in many cases. Ubisoft are there because i don't recall a single game to date that i've truly enjoyed with the slight exception of HAWX 2, but that's more on the basis that good combat flight sims are few and far between. Even then it used that bloody "Ubisoft Launcher" which wasn't downloaded automatically with the game.
    Coder, Gamer - IOCube | #Error418MasterRace #ScottBrokeIt
    Knows: Node.js, JS + JQuery, HTML + CSS, Object Pascal, PHP, WQL/SQL

PC: 750D / 16GB / 256GB + 750GB / GTX780 / 4670K / Z87X-UD4H | Laptop: 8GB / 120GB + 480GB / GTX765M / 4700MQ