Page 21 of 31 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabbycat View Post
    I'm excited about the upcoming TESO and honestly hoping no one calls it a WoW killer as that seems to be the kiss of death for new MMO's.
    Spoilers: they will.

Quote Originally Posted by Digglett View Post
    >.< Don't say that!

Quote Originally Posted by freeforumuser View Post
    I won't call D3 a failure though, at least Blizzard patched away most of the godawful gameplay problems pretty swiftly with 1.04.

The closest thing IMO would be Oblivion, everything was so lazy and sloppily done.
    How can you even say that Oblivion was AMAZING.

Quote Originally Posted by Digglett View Post
    They already did. Saw a thread get locked here on MMO-C just a week or so ago making that very claim.

If a video game developer removed tumors from players, they'd whine about nerfing their loss in weight and access to radiation powers. -Cracked.com

1. ToR. Hyped by EA themselves as the game that would knock WoW off its throne, we all know how that turned out.

2. Skyrim. I'm sorry, but this game was just a colossal disappointment IMO. Where do I begin? From the tiny dragons (they're like, giraffe sized) to the unstable half-ass XB360 port that PC users got shoveled. To the fact that Bethesda flat-out lied about it using an all-new game engine (its a modified version of the same one Fallout 3 uses, there are even remnants of V.A.T.S in the files), to the exclusivity bullshit with Microsoft that keeps every other system from getting DLC for over a month. I could write a blog about Skyrim, and not the good kind.

3. Probably Metroid Other M. While I don't hate the game as so many do, I do find it unfortunate that the first real look we got as Samus as a character portrayed her the way it did. People blame Team Ninja when it was actually Nintendo's fault (they came up with the story). Sadly Other M looks to have been death of the franchise as a standalone series: even Reggie Fils-Aimes said that he doesn't know if any more Metroid games will be made. As someone who can probably thank her gaming habit largely to the awesomeness of Metroid and Super Metroid, that depresses the hell out of me.

---------- Post added 2012-11-23 at 05:02 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by valedo View Post
    As strange as his opinion is, Valedo, he has a right to it. I loved Oblivion and played it religiously for well over 4 years, I even modded draenei into it as a playable race.

Quote Originally Posted by valedo View Post
    Still the worst Elder Scrolls game for me. Almost everything in it screamed to me "We aren't going to bother we know you'll just mod the hell out of this anyway."

The highlight is Jeremy Soule's soundtrack.

All i see is you crying that diablo 3 was to hard. Well d2 players wanted a new difficulty which supose to be IMPOSSIBLE. Blizz just gave them what they wanted.
    Even with the flaws D3 had on launch i would put it on the top of the games that came out in 2012. Ive spend there 200h+ there is not much SINGLE PLAYER (yep diablo aint a mmo) games that i would spend more than 30h on.

1) E.T. on the Atari 2600. Gave it to my cousin once I found how unplayable it was. He gave it to a friend a week later.

2) Final Fantasy 14. Didn't even play it a week before I regreted buying it.

3) Madden NFL 2013. They have completely destroyed every reason why I bought the new one each year. Most of the things I enjoyed have been totaly removed to make the online play (that I never use) better.
    Last edited by Kasanth; 2012-11-23 at 08:39 AM.

Aion.
    D3.
    Skyrim.
    SWtoR in its F2P incarnation.

I've noticed SW:TOR coming up a few times (gross underestimation) because of the criticism of it going F2P.

But it's not entirely is it? The F2P as I've read it is rather restrictive, even after they lightened things up. They've still got a subscription based gameplay but are extending to the casual market with microsales to a market that otherwise would go F2P. Microsale gaming is on the rise, and more companies are extending their market to take a slice of the pie.

Pretty sure I read once that they need 500k subscribers to break even. As long as they never dip below that number, the game still churns a profit.

Yes there's still very little end game to it, and the main attraction is more the story from 1-50 and less what you do in the end, but the company is afloat and making money from it. Also no, I don't play it anymore, but I don't play MMO's other than EVE anymore, I just don't have the time. So I avoid subscription based gaming (and pay for my EVE accounts through in game currency) because I don't want to make a commitment to what I'll do with my social life. That and there's so many awesome F2P multiplayer games out now, and a wealth of single player titles that the appeal and charm of the MMO is fading.

Which leads me to my biggest conclusion about TOR; it was 2-3 years too late, possibly more. Yes it's not the perfect game at launch, but you remember some of the god awful releases back then? AoC had barely any content past the starting area, WAR removed content from its launch, Tabula Rasa was a massive disappointment and Aion launched at the absolute peak of the consumer age for MMORPGs and... actually I'm still not sure what the hell happened there, answers on a quotecard. TOR would have thrived back then, it wouldn't be a WoW killer (nothing was going to knock off TBC/Wrath) but it'd establish itself comfortably as a second game with a constant playerbase. There was interest back then for MMO's that aren't WoW.

Now? It's adapting to the market, microsale gaming is the way forward. I'm just waiting for WoW to extend the F2P to 60, then 70 with various restrictions on dungeons, pet battles and battlegrounds, because you can bet there's an untapped market there.
    Last edited by Northern Goblin; 2012-11-23 at 06:03 PM.

Even though it's probably not even part of the topic, i must say it. Every company that makes a game now requires me to use one of their crappy systems in order to even launch single player, things like origin or u-play, thus making me have about 10 different accounts for 10 different companies just to play 10 different games. Really one of the biggest, if not THE biggest failure in gaming history for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    Then the question should really be "What games do you think are bad?"

The only objective way to determine success in a business is financially.
    There are many ways one can objectively view the quality of the product beyond sales figures. Easier on sequels of games because then you have direct comparisation.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

This thread has been quit fun to read. Lately Ive looked up why mentioned games maybe failed. Ended up subscribing to Angry joe show, gut some channels off youtube can steal you're time!

I will just add, while personally havent played it cause erhm...I dont play any fps games, Duke Nukem. Seing it being rated by said mentioned youtuber, makes me cry. How the HELL could they release the game inn that state...just wow.
    One reason for WoW decline I often hear is that its an old game and naturally people get bored with it. But TV is much older and people still watch that. Surely if a thing you once enjoyed keept staying fun, you would still use it?

I could name a dozen, but I'll stick to just one primarily because it stands out the most vivid in my mind: Guild Wars 2. Now, that's not to say that GW2 is a bad game. It's not, by any stretch, but it is an enormous disappointment from a PVP perspective. Here was the game that was supposed to be the be-all and end-all for MMORPG PVP. But it just wasn't. Somewhere in the development cycle, something went seriously wrong and turned what was supposed to be a very large focus for the game into something hideous and undesirable.

Two more to keep with the thread: Golden Sun: Dark Dawn and Super Smash Bros Brawl.

EDIT: I went with "Games I was most disappointed in" because that seems to be more on-topic for the thread.

I see alot of people listing games that actually sold well and are still actively played by a lot of people. How can you call that a failure? It might be a disappointment for you personally, but that does not flag it as bad or failed.

For me it was only Tera. Questing and "endgame" was just bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Edc View Post
    I see alot of people listing games that actually sold well and are still actively played by a lot of people. How can you call that a failure? It might be a disappointment for you personally, but that does not flag it as bad or failed.
    Well, I think the problem is that when "failure" is taken to mean "low sales", it's not really that interesting of a discussion. It's just numbers at that point, and there really isn't anything that anyone can argue about.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...n_video_gaming

Quote Originally Posted by Edc View Post
    the thread turned into a personal disappointment list since the first page, the title is inaccurate as far as what the topic actually is

Quote Originally Posted by Profyrion View Post
    Hah, I knew SWTOR would be on this list. So many people butthurt over that game.

Still subscribed, still playing, still loving the hell out of it. AKA: Not a failure.
    just cause you still play it and like it does not mean it's not a failure which explains why it went f2p

Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    just cause you still play it and like it does not mean it's not a failure which explains why it went f2p
    Nor is that an indication of failure. See my post on the previous page about the shift in market.