Page 24 of 31 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    How about Revelations: 2012?

Quote Originally Posted by Gorlak View Post
    I wouldn't count that as a flop, they didn't want to do it first, and they said themselves that they sucked at doing PC games. They only did it because tens of thousands of people signed a petition for it.
    No, they did it because their publisher smelt the sweet scent of money. There was no goodwill to it, just finances.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Deleted
    1 Warhammer online
    2 latest Duke nukem
    3 can't come up with a third one.

10+ Year Old Account
    I will list 3 games I thought would be epic, based on reviews and fan praise, but thought did not live up to my expectations.

1. Elder Scrolls: Oblivion
    2. GTA: 4
    3. Bioshock
    Last edited by Agoonga; 2012-11-24 at 06:37 PM.

I cant believe some people are posting rift that makes me sad the game is amazing and is doing well but i guess this is the 3 games i didnt like thread : /

Quote Originally Posted by Boxtroll55 View Post
    I cant believe some people are posting rift that makes me sad the game is amazing and is doing well but i guess this is the 3 games i didnt like thread : /
    That's basciallty what it is- I don't like/pay attention this game(s).

I mean I could stand Oblivion for example. Bu there is no possible way that game was a "failure". It was a smashing success as was GTA4, Diablo 3, Bioshock and League of Legends.

Stop and think about that for a moment: Someone claimed one of the most popular games in the world backed by one of the most $ powerful media conglomerates is a "failure".

Most of these replies are nonsense.

True game failures are as someone mentioned above are like; E.T., Vanguard, Daikatana, etc. Games which lost millions, were actually unplayable, fill landfills in the United States, destroyed careers, bankrupted companies and so on.

Yes, jaded forum pundits-- Diablo 3 is def. a bigger failure than E.T. ...

facepalm.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's a difference between games you don't like and games that failed. If you don't like a game, that doesn't mean it failed.

To me a failed game is a game that, overall, is disliked by the majority and/or didn't sell well after its initial release. Games like Dragon Age 2 that didn't live up to player expectations and recieved a lot of hate, would be good examples of failed games. Saying "Oh I didn't like DE:HR" does not mean DE:HR failed; on the contrary, DE:HR is a success because it was overall well recieved by its audience.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    This thread is more about games people don't like.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Migey View Post
    Fengore, we know the number of subscribers needed for SWTOR to break even, but they never stated how long they needed those subs for; honestly, it seems pretty likely they havn't made back their money! Considering the costs which were not exactly 300 million, but OVER 300 million (by how much I couldn't guess), and the fact that they still have to pour money into the game, and develop new content for it.
    Believe it was around the 200mil was the estimate by financial analyst. No cost was disclosed by EA / Bioware.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would say:

1. SWTOR-awesome story, fun to play through the story, but game just seemed to lack everywhere else.

2. GW2-This game was simply overhyped. Change the world permanently, this didn't seem to happen anywhere. The game is zerg, zerg, zerg. A few months in and most servers are barren with complaints of "I am bored!". Huge failure, especially considering this was suppose to the the future of mmos (next gen/revolutionary as fans would have called it).

3. Final Fantasy 14- I wasn't looking forward to this game like the other two games, which is why it it number 3 on my list. The game is terrible, the art style is one of the only good things about the game. I am looking forward to the remake and will hold off on judgement on that one until I get some hands on play.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fernling306 View Post
    The game is zerg, zerg, zerg.
    GW2 actually became less zergy by now as there is not so many people jammed in a single zone, there is not 60 people doing a single event kind of thing anymore. Its a lot better at that point right now then at release.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    For Swtor, they're gauging it based on its own self-hyped goals for success and the fact that it's an MMO, not a normal videogame title. Had you simply bought an offline RPG and played it for 500 hours, it'd be a huge personal success, but when speaking for an MMO, especially one that charges monthly, 500 hours is a drop in the bucket. Hell I've spent 5x that trying to get certain drops in other MMOs over the years.

The difference between a game like GW2 and Swtor is that the community hyped GW. Hyped the shit out of it. Everyone did, but the company itself was pretty humble as far as big title releases go. Swtor was boosted by its company before anything else. The game was constantly in your face, expectations were made, promises were had, claims were presented and so very, very few of those things had any sort of longevity to back them up.

Personally, i dont get invested into games enough to get butthurt over them, but in the case of Swtor, I'd say it's deserving of the resentment.

From that point of view, your are totaly right, swtor was a failure as pure mmo. To less to do for thousands of hours.
    I just say, it isn't a personal failure for me because I just tought, hey I paid this amount of money and played for X hours. And I had fun in that time, so it was ok. But yes...500 hours vs a few thousand wow hours that I have...yep to less for an mmo that should bind you for years if it works perfectly.

My personal top 3 would be:
    1. Warhammer Online
    2. Far Cry 2
    3. Homefront

Don't tell me the sky is the limit when there are footprints on the moon.

10+ Year Old Account
    1.) et
    2.) et
    3.) et

I think people need to go look up "failure". SWTOR can be considered because saleswise is did fairly poorly. GWII has done well for itself though, it's objectively not a failure currently.

And, even though SWTOR didn't do as well as expected, look at something like Final Fantasy XIV which was epic in its level of fail. SWATOOOOOR can't compare.

Quote Originally Posted by Gniral View Post
    all the supposed wow-killers, so

gw2

and we could add aion, aoc, warhammer online and many others
    GW2 was never meant to be a WoW killer. Of course you always have over zealous fans who build it up to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fengore View Post
    It paid itself off and made a profit. There are varying degrees of success, and it might not have been as successful as they hoped, but that doesn't make it a failure.
    Star Wars MMO made by Bioware made for millions of dollars, I'm sorry, for what it is today, it's a failure. Maybe bringing in Bioware and Starwars into this is being bias, but those are two giant things, and this might sound unfair to others, but for the money it was made with, being a GIANT series, and being backed by a reasonably well off company, it should by all rights be making more and then some than WoW is today, and it's just not. That, in some people's eyes is enough to be a failure.

It might be fine as a single player game, not as an MMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    The difference between a game like GW2 and Swtor is that the community hyped GW. Hyped the shit out of it. Everyone did, but the company itself was pretty humble as far as big title releases go. Swtor was boosted by its company before anything else. The game was constantly in your face, expectations were made, promises were had, claims were presented and so very, very few of those things had any sort of longevity to back them up.

Personally, i dont get invested into games enough to get butthurt over them, but in the case of Swtor, I'd say it's deserving of the resentment.
    Also, this pretty much sums it up as well.
    Last edited by Digglett; 2012-11-25 at 12:15 AM.

D3
    FFXIV
    ME3 Ending
    GW2

10+ Year Old Account
    History

1. ET
    2. Daikatana
    3. Games for Windows Live

Current Times.

1. DLC. The excuse to sell parts of a game you already paid for.

2. One-time use codes/serial keys on physical copies of a game. Hurts consumers, creates waste.

3. Hardware anti-piracy. Sony lost so much much with Vita, especially with limiting soft homebrew (creating your own apps/games, not pirating) and forcing their own "memory card". It's a glorified WiiU Remote for the PS3 right now.

Give people incentive not to pirate, and you'll have less. You'll never not have pirates, ever. (China basically pirates everything.)
    There are no bathrooms, only Zuul.

Quote Originally Posted by ImpTaimer View Post
    3. Hardware anti-piracy. Sony lost so much much with Vita, especially with limiting soft homebrew (creating your own apps/games, not pirating) and forcing their own "memory card". It's a glorified WiiU Remote for the PS3 right now.
    I can't believe I didn't think of this. A thousand times PS Vita is a huge failure, if they had dropped the price, it might be more successful like Nintendo did with 3DS.

Every Need for Speed game after Need for Speed Most Wanted. Carbon had some potential and could have been just as good, if not better then Most Wanted, but failed and it went downhill.

Def Jam Rapstar. They made a fucking fun fighting game into a singing game, like srsly wtf.

Although the game is not released yet, i'm highly dissapointed in the point of direction C&C Generals is heading, hope they rethink it because Generals and Zero Hour were amazing.

Edit: Just realised that new Generals will be free to play, does that mean it can't fail?
    Last edited by Exroyal; 2012-11-25 at 12:42 AM.

Deleted
    So much hate for SWTOR, and here i am, playing it as i write and enjoying it.
    SWTOR wasnt a failure, Galaxies was a failure.
    Last edited by mmoce8c391acaa; 2012-11-25 at 12:45 AM.