Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Aion, AoC, SWTOR.

Not due to subscriber base. EvE online has a lower subscriber count and I love that game. I don't often play it for long periods of time like WoW because I get a headache or lose a ship and ragequit for half a year at a time. Still a very good game though.

Anyone in this thread who mentioned duke nukem forever hates fun. Don't play DNF for story, or anything like that. Pick up a weapon, and blow up aliens. It is mindless, bad-guy zapping fun. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Howlrunner View Post
    Honestly laughing at so many people saying "Diablo 3!" "Star Wars TOR!" etc.
    Obviously the concept of failure is kind of lost to many. Sure TOR didn't succeed as well as they hoped, but the game itself barring some bugs was solid, enjoyable and many people paid/subbed for it. Same with D3, it sold more copies than most games going. TOR may not have made the money longterm, but it *did* sell a fuckload on release, and was a critical success, as was D3 (critical and commercial). So they are hardly *failures* compared to some of the software tripe out there.
    So because those games sold many copies they were a success? How many people would buy either of those games if they could go back in time knowing how they turned out? Just because a game sells 10 million copies or whatever doesnt make it a sucess if after a few weeks everyone uninstalls it and throws it away. Hell Ford sold 2 million Pintos but try and find someone who deosnt agree that car was a failure.

10+ Year Old Account
    I loved Aion. Great game.

I thought Starcraft II: Wings of Liberty was really bad. Completed the campaign (which was awesome the most of the time), but the PvP online part of the game, which is the heavy part, was so bad and boring in my opinion. Can’t be arsed to even think about it right now.

Read the whole thing, as I said, they weren't failures in the strictest sense, it's more what people are saying "Games I don't like!". Don't just cherry pick things to justify a response
    And as I said, we all have our own opinions on what we call failures.

Take D3, I don't care how many they sold, imho almost all those sales were on hype alone and nostalgia mixed with hope that it'd be some second coming of D2.
    Didn't live up to my expectation combined with the buggy launch and numerous problems = to me the game failed.

And in staying with what the OP stated :
    Quote Originally Posted by Dabrix32 View Post
    Can be either MMO(entire game or an expansion), console, just anything that was supposed to be good that you bought and it totally sucked.
    Those games I thought were supposed to be awesome but they fell flat for me. *shrug*

1) Tabula Rasa
    2) FFXIV
    3) SW:TOR

Outpost
    Ultima IX
    Mass Effect 3

Read the whole thing, as I said, they weren't failures in the strictest sense, it's more what people are saying "Games I don't like!". Don't just cherry pick things to justify a response

---------- Post added 2012-11-19 at 07:59 PM ----------

The fact they were also massive critical successes helps perchance? Garnering very positive reviews almost across the board? Read up some proper failures and then come back, as it's not a valid argument. It should be more "games I didn't like" tbh. Also, pretty sure in terms o fmonetary reasons for a disposable game, selling 10million copies *does* constitute a success. Look up games like Psychonauts and you will see what I mean. Critical success, flopped massively moneywise.
    Who the hell gave either of those games positive reviews? I played both at launch and they were bugged filled with both games having stupid OP classes while the rest were either mediocre or just horrible. Both games had terrible AHs. The GTN had hardly any search function and D3's AH was down more than it was up. Oh not to mention the due to piss poor RNG on loot some people were forced to use the RMAH because they didnt roll fotm DHs that could farm Act 3 while watching TV.

Like I said before. Would anyone actually buy either of those games if they knew how they would turn out. The fact that all SW:ToR servers were dead after 2 months and theres less than 500 active public games in D3 pretty much proves that No they wouldnt have bought them. People left both of those games faster than a group of Jews fleeing 1940s Germany.
    Last edited by Dabrix32; 2012-11-19 at 07:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Profyrion View Post
    Hah, I knew SWTOR would be on this list. So many people butthurt over that game.

Still subscribed, still playing, still loving the hell out of it. AKA: Not a failure.
    Couldn't agree more my friend...my favorite game...still subbed...still having a ton of fun every day

To me SWTOR isn't really a failure because I didn't expect anything of it. When I first saw some video of it I knew it's going to be a mediocre WoW clone. And that it was. But GW2 on the other hand...I really expected it to triumph. I was certain I would play it for a long time. And here I am dancing with pandas. Anyway, it looks like GW2 is boldly going where many MMOs have gone before.

Mass effect 3. dragon age 2, SW:tor
    Last edited by Endus; Today at 10:40 PM. Reason: Editing to change questionable phrasing to adorable puppies

Quote Originally Posted by xBreak View Post
    This post was almost as bad as you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakhar View Post
    The clueless commentary from the shortsighted peanut gallery is getting to me.
    My youtube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/Krystafal

Deleted
    D3 is not bad, blizz just thought players to hate farming. because trust me d2 was only farming.

I mean..seriously...all this thread represents is a bunch of peoples opinions...you cannot really peg a game as a failure and get concenus...I read 3 pages of posts and now I'm moving on...this thread is the true failure

I guess people really have a real loose sense of Failure. My personal 3:

1. Tabula Rasa
    2. Hellgate London
    3. Dreamcast

Quote Originally Posted by savvasp View Post
    Please explain your reasoning ? Servers are still high populated and active, lots of people play it and it's still an amazing and very enjoyable game
    Servers are still populated? I must be on the wrong server then. I logged in at primetime (7pm) for 10 minutes and literally see no-one.

Either way, it's been considered a failure by the gaming community at large.

Quote Originally Posted by ngc2440 View Post
    WoW managed to polished the traditional model to a shine. Plus with its light hearted take on things it appeals to a greater audience. It is hard to create something new enough that it isn't WoW in a different universe.
    This x10.

I bought and loved to play SWTOR
    I bought and loved D3 for a time
    I bought and still love The Secret World ( one of my favorite mmo's of all time in fact)

I am no linger playing or subscribed to any why is that you ask?

Because I have been playing WOW for 7 years and have too much time invested to just swap to another mmo with all the same features, and also all my friends play WOW so I always come back to it.

If I could get my entire guild swapped to TSW I would in a heart beat. Fuck levels.

There is no game I wanted to succeed more than SWTOR. What a pity

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenhou View Post
    Final Fantasy - The one for Game Cube. Not sure what its called, but i just didnt like it.
    Crystal Chronicles. I personally loved it, but that may be cause I was playing with my brother.

15+ Year Old Account
    Where the bad salad is kept crisp on ice.
    SWtOR, it was just disappointing as a possible "wow killer".
    Quote Originally Posted by pucGG View Post
    He's riding to work, he's not escaping from a star destroyer

Deleted
    How do you define "Failure"? Loss for the developer? Loss of "image" among communities? Small numbers of buyers/subscribers? Or something else?

Thinking about the last years I'd say Final Fantasy XIV (at least the original one, since the new one isn't out yet).
    Many users here may not know it enough because they're not much into games from japan.
    But it's been a huge financial failure, up to the point that SE has been forced to make it subscription-free for over 1 year, and to get developers from other teams to stop what they were doing only to support the FFXIV team.
    It's also been a failure in terms of quality, subscriptions and drama in communities.

The new FFXIV called "A realm reborn" will be just the average modern Theme Park MMO you'd expect, but the original one was an ambitious half themepark half sandbox (more towards sandbox I'd say) MMO.
    The game itself totally didn't work for many reasons, mainly technical in the ugly client, crappy servers and ugly netcode, no windowed mode and blah blah, thousands of limits that are totally unacceptable for a 2010+ PC game.
    It also had gameplay balance issues but I wouldn't call them too problematic for a new game, same for the lack of content, which there was a noticeable lack of, but still, it would have been acceptable for a launch if everything else worked.

Game had some veeeery nice ideas, they didn't work in their form, but the idea themselves were very cool.
    Sadly the new developer completely scrapped them in turn of some more "standard" and unoriginal (but probably much more efficient and "liked" by communities) features.
    Altough I can agree most of them wouldn't have worked in a Themebox game, whereas the original game was closer to being a japanese sandbox than a themepark.

Anyway, one of the biggest failures of the last years, from whichever point of view you may be watching it.

Diablo 3... a failure? *nothing to do here*

Still waters run deep.