Page 1 of 31
... LastLast

Top 3 Biggest game disappointments

Can be either MMO(entire game or an expansion), console, just anything that was supposed to be good that you bought and it totally sucked.

1. Diablo 3
    I never played D2 becuase I had already started playing MMOs pretty hardcore back then but I heard it was a great game. So when Blizzard said I could get D3 for free with the annual pass I figured what the hell Im not quitting WoW anytime soon and did. Thank God I didnt actually pay for this steaming pile of poo. Made the mistake of picking a monk for my first class at launch and then witch doctor. Wish someone would have told me the only correct class to play at launch was Demon Huter. When I got into Inferno a week after launch it was just impossible. I remember even in a full group we couldnt even beat the 3 hammer trolls at the chapel where the final sword fragment was. The first time I tried The Butcher, again in a full group we quit after 27 wipes. Also the grouping system was terrible as you were forced to only group with other melees as all the Wiz/DHs were loling there way through Acts 3/4 and had no reason to join public games and carry melees.

The game was also impossible to play as a melee becuase of the giant Catch 22 Blizzard thought it would be cute to add. You couldnt beat act 1 unless you had gear from Acts 3/4 which you couldnt afford because you were stuck in Act 1 because you couldnt kill anything to progress without better gear. Also farming for 2months with a MF of 350 and only getting a single item worth 20 mil gold? Yeah brilliant job with the loot tables Blizzard. Thats like going to work and not getting paid. Also when I started there was like 40,000 public games and now theres only 400ish. They sold what like 15 million copies? I doubt theres even 100k people per region still playing. Blizzard definitely laughed all the way to the bank on this game.

2. SW:ToR
    Was a huge Star Wars fan so picking this game up was a no brainer. Well obviously I proved I had no brain for buying it. The AH didnt work right for like the first month. 99% of everyone who got the game and had any sort of PvP skill rolled Empire so as a Republic we pretty much got steamrolled in every single PvP match. I thought Alliance was bad but Republic takes the cake. There were days where I would play 20-30 matches and lose every single one of them. Also once you got to 50 the game was impossible to play becauyse BioWare refused to add a cross server LFG system. I guess they decided the best way to make a MMO was to look at other popular and successful MMOs and then refuse to add any elements of those games that made people like them. I loved logging in every day, sitting in fleet for 4 hours doing nothing but spam "Gunslinger LFG" and then log out after getting nothing. Also becuase there was no cross server PvP as well it was again impossible to play after I got off work because you never got into a match from 3-6am. Funny how at the same time range I could log into WoW and be either in a group or PvPing even that early in the morning.

3. Aion
    Graphics looked awesome is the only reason I bought it. Never made it past level 30. The grind in Everquest paled in comparrison to this game. Sad too cause I actually liked a lot of the classes. Flying combat sounded like a cool idea on paper but was horrible in game. It gave ranged class such an advantage it was retarded. Obviously all they had to do was sit back and pew pew while meless had to figure out where the hell they were and then if you did manage to find them you were half dead anyways so it didnt matter.
    Last edited by Dabrix32; 2012-11-19 at 04:23 PM.

Age of Conan comes to mind.

Otherwise E.T for the Atari 2600 is commonly held as (one of) the biggest flop in video-game history.

Though I bought neither.
    Last edited by Cowt; 2012-11-19 at 04:25 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    1st Asura's Wrath: the worst gameplay I've ever seen in this generation.
    2nd God of War 3: the end is so bad, so stupid, so silly... Kratos went from hero (GoW 1) to a reckless bad ass alpha male without any depth. They just ruined a great series.
    3rd Street Fighter X Tekken: seriously, how could anyone pick two of the best fighting games ever made, put them together, and fail...

I won't call D3 a failure though, at least Blizzard patched away most of the godawful gameplay problems pretty swiftly with 1.04.

The closest thing IMO would be Oblivion, everything was so lazy and sloppily done.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Notreally View Post
    Daikatana.
    Jumped straight into my mind as well, such hype, such failure!

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hraklea View Post
    2nd God of War 3: the end is so bad, so stupid, so silly... Kratos went from hero (GoW 1) to a reckless bad ass alpha male without any depth. They just ruined a great series.
    3rd Street Fighter X Tekken: seriously, how could anyone pick two of the best fighting games ever made, put them together, and fail...
    You do know Kratos stayed a hero by giving all of mankind hope with the deaths of the gods, including himself,right?

Warhammer: age of Reckoning
    Clayfighter 63 1/3 - that game killed my christmas
    Fallout 3 - the game itself is good, but i got a cut version (german child protection bullshit laws, game rated 18+, still cut)

duke nukem forever lol

SW:ToR, then Diablo 3, then Halo: Reach.
    I am not Voting Trump because I support him, its about keeping a Career Criminal out of office that mishandles classified information.
    Beta males can cry on how I will not vote for their brood mother.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    Have you even considered the perspective of the 'violent' muslims?

Quote Originally Posted by Hraklea View Post
    all of these games were pretty good. Only bad thing about sfxt is the capcom dlc dilemma (same with asuras wrath xD)

Quote Originally Posted by freeforumuser View Post
    I won't call D3 a failure though, at least Blizzard patched away most of the godawful gameplay problems pretty swiftly with 1.04.
    Yea but they took the same route SW:ToR did with fixing things. They waited untill almost everytone quit before doing so. Granted the game is easier now and you get better drops but just in the case of SW:ToR its too little too late. Once everyone leaves a game cause it sucks most never return no matter how better they make it.

Deleted
    1. Star Wars
    2. GW2
    3. WoW: Cataclysm

Far cry 2.
    Mindless driving around some jungle with checkpoints all around, you clear a checkpoint of enemies, 5 mins later it's full of enemies again.
    missions are 90% driving to the place 10% killing some weak dumb badguys that either don't see you if you're next to them or can spot you from 3 miles away.
    Badguys also don't care if you shoot their buddies right next to them, they will just continue to patrol.
    and finally the story is just stupid, there's 2 groups of rebels fighting apparently but they never actually fight, they only care about you not driving around the jungle.
    they even share the main village, their respective bosses are 50 feet apart.
    It was just terrible!

other than that I actually liked Diablo 3, doesn't have the high replay value they promised imo but it was nice.

Duke Nukem Forever, Mass Effect 3, and SW:TOR (sadly, so much potential).

10+ Year Old Account
    Biggest game failures purely from a financial point of view:

1: SWTOR did and probably will never be able to live up to the expectations. And will never be able to turn the huge profit EA was expecting.
    2: APB was a huge letdown and managed to murder the company that created it.
    3: Too Human, is getting this place from me.. it went hugely over budget at the end the release to be one of the most buggy pieces of *peep* i have ever played.

-: While not a finacial disaster.. duke nukem.. has probably have to be the biggest letdown of the last 10 years. Which destroyed everything people hoped it would be. And was one of the most pathetic games released in a long time.

Deleted
    Space Marine
    Final Fantasy XIII
    No split screen multiplayer on Burnout Paradise, Red Faction Armageddon and SSX (online only multiplayer that sucks)

- SWTOR: What a waste of money. I'm happy and all that they spent so much time in their actors and storytelling but that thing was falling apart when they released it.

- SFxT: I agree on this one. Character DLC the very moment it was released? Hell no! At least TxSF is going the opposite direction.

- APB: I think the only other game that matches this failure is FFXIV. Both needed to be rebuilt from the ground up.
    I'm still thinking about it...

Quote Originally Posted by freeforumuser View Post

The closest thing IMO would be Oblivion, everything was so lazy and sloppily done.
    Oblivion and Morrowind are maybe the best ever RPGs of their time. They made me love and support RPG community, and for their time, the games were the best there were.