Page 12 of 31 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Star Trek Online - So much potential squandered by handing it to the wrong company.

Star Wars The Old Republic - Great as a single player game, bad as an MMO.

and lastly, Mass Effect 3's ending. I do not need to explain this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Bob View Post
    How can you be disappointed by LOL ?! The gameplay is so easy and straightforward that you may as well be disappointed by Tetris.
    I picked L.oL cause of how boring it is..... Snore fest only one worse than it is Smite.

Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    Another one who didn't play since patches 1.04 and 1.05.
    Does it matter if they did, or didn't. If their earlier experiences have turned them off playing the game, a few post patch improvements aren't going to change their opinion. The same could be said for other games on this list, including The Secret World and Swtor. They are also a much better game after a few patches, but it's still too late to salvage their players, or their reputations.

As for my list.

1. Swtor. I played it, and enjoyed it more than Mists of Pandaria (I've already cancelled my account for Mop), but there were too many individual elements that caused players to simply stop caring and stop playing.
    2. Warhammer Online. So much potential. Just not handled very well.
    3. Mists of Pandaria. Shortest amount of time I have ever played an MMO / expansion. I had zero desire to log back in after only a few weeks.
    Have you heard of the critically acclaimed MMORPG Final Fantasy XIV? With an expanded free trial which you can play through the entirety of A Realm Reborn and the award winning Heavensward expansion up to level 60 for free with no restrictions on playtime?

I feel this thread is filled with very new and very young gamers. Most of the games mentioned cannot even hold a light to some of the games produced back in the day.

There is the famous E.T. Atari game that changed the game industry for how bad it was.

In the last decade there has been Age of Conan, while the first 20 levels were cool with the voiced over text for quests and what not, the rest of the game felt unfinished.

Aquaman: Battle for Atlantis had some of the worst controls I have ever experienced in a game. The graphics looked like someone had fun in MS Paint.

There was Superman on the N64 which just... I think if the game loaded it was a good day. So many bugs.

There was the TurboGrafx-16. While I loved Bonk the rest of the games for that system were terrible. Not that much fun. Granted this was a console system failure rather than game failure.

Other Honorable Mentions of Fail: Southpark for PC, Duke Nukem Forever, Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing, The last Leisure Suit Game, Elf Bowling for the GBA, Most TV/Movie to Video Games such as Survivor and Charlie's Angels.
    I have been chosen by the big metal hand in the sky!

I don't buy many games so the only ones on my list are the ones I bought, played for a short time and then uninstalled since I knew I'd never play again.

Conan online and SWTOR. I didn't have high hopes for conan so I wasn't really surprised when I got bored of that one but SWTOR launching the way it did sort of blew me away. Hell, I'd rather go back and play Sony's version before I'd play SWTOR again (though sony's version is offline now).

I can't say that D3 was a failure for me. I played a barbarian, killed Diablo with a buddy over a few hours on the 1st saturday after lunch and haven't touched it again. It's not that I didn't like it, I'd just rather spend the limited time I have to play video games on WoW. D3 was everything I thought it would be but those types of games don't hold any interest for me now.

I was going to pick up GW2 but glad I didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Dabrix32 View Post
    guess you didnt play a monk at release? I never beat Act 2 until the RMAH was released because I couldnt afford the gear to do so using in game gold. I farmed for 7-8 hours a day and got nothing so dont say I wasnt putting in the effort. Nothing ever sold and I could never afford gear to to even not get 1 shot by the wasps in Act 2. Im starting to think that the game actually launched with hidden Monster Power and it was set to 10.
    I'll give you 100 dollars IF you would play Diablo 3 NOW and you would come back within 1 week and say it stinks.

But don't forget to enable MP play of course ... and first read about the new end game mechanics... since I hope you still have your Monk or DH...

But of course you won't accept the bet, since you would need to change the content of your thread ))

Deleted
    Diablo has changed a lot and is now what it should've been. But sadly it seems the damage has been done (though the pvp is still missing, but I can understand that when players deal 3m+ dps it'll be a nightmare to sort out).
    Recently went back to test things out, finished inferno and now I'm trying to gear my monk to tackle higher monster power levels.
    Still waiting for my first new legendary drop as they've greatly buffed them.
    Last edited by mmoc5b3bf16116; 2012-11-20 at 12:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mongo4200 View Post
    1. L.o.L
    2. Gw2
    3. Swtor
    Are you joking? LoL is like the biggest online game right now....

10+ Year Old Account
    1: WoW Cataclysm
    2: WoW Mist of dailys.. sorry.. Pandaria
    3: Diablo 3

Quote Originally Posted by Oncereborn View Post
    Are you joking? LoL is like the biggest online game right now....
    I find it very boring

Quote Originally Posted by Malkazam View Post
    1: WoW Cataclysm
    2: WoW Mist of dailys.. sorry.. Pandaria
    3: Diablo 3
    Haha lol I was thinking the same thing WoW still is huge though pitty most of us can't stop going back to that damn game

I don't claim to be a huge game but SWTOR has to be the big one. Again, game wasn't to my liking I know some like it and no knock to them but I played it for first month and really didn't find no excitement to the game at all. Considering all the hype surrounding it, me included, and now its F2P I'm sure Bioware expected more.

Quote Originally Posted by Oncereborn View Post
    Haha lol I was thinking the same thing WoW still is huge though pitty most of us can't stop going back to that damn game
    Combined these games (WOW + expansions + Diablo 3) must have sold around 40 million copies on ONE platform.

Total revenue in 8 years WOW alone is around 8 billion dollars revenue (last 5 years around 1.2 billion dollars per year according to Blizzard stock holders balance sheets...)...

That's 4 times more than Avatar... 2 times more than the complete COD franchise (thank you subscriptions)...

Yeah, big failure....
    Last edited by BenBos; 2012-11-20 at 12:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shon237 View Post
    I don't claim to be a huge game but SWTOR has to be the big one. Again, game wasn't to my liking I know some like it and no knock to them but I played it for first month and really didn't find no excitement to the game at all. Considering all the hype surrounding it, me included, and now its F2P I'm sure Bioware expected more.
    Bioware is a horrible game company

SWTOR was a decent game that was ruined by a company that has no idea how to operate an MMO, I don't think it deserves a mention in the top 3. Maybe top 10...for me a failure has to have less than 50% redeeming qualities about it in gameplay or design and SWTOR does not fit that category.

Cataclysm does deserve a #3 spot. The other two slots...I'd have to think about. Probably Aion for either #1 or #2.

3: Daikatana

"John Romero will make you his bitch". If your marketting campaign is all about belittling your potential customers, at least make sure to back up that attitude with something good. And basically, Daikatana was not. Sporting a bad storyline, outdated graphics, confusing game design and not the least - bugs aplenty - the game will forever go down in gaming history as the way to not make a game. The reviewers were not impressed, and took great joy in slaughtering what was left. As did the rest of the internet. And some of it for good reasons.

For a very in-depth review at everything wrong with this game, and why it was such a disappointment, take a look at
    http://www.firingsquad.com/games/daikatana/default.asp

Not quite making it to the list, but failing for similar reasons: Doom 3

2: Final Fantasy 14

Square Enix' second attempt at making a wow killer... a game so counterintuitive, annoying and un-fun that the head of the company publicly apologized and offered everyone free playtime until the game could be fixed. Which never happened, by the way, despite several attempts. The game was shut down permanently earlier this month.

I think gamespot covered it succinctly.
    http://www.gamespot.com/final-fantas...eview-6280901/

Not quite making it to the list, but failing for similar reasons: Final Fantasy 13.

1: E.T the Extra Terrestial (Atari, 1982)

It is easy to see why this game is considered the worst financial game disaster in history. It's made back in the good old atari days, when games were simple. But even by the standards of the day, this game was just not cutting it, and when you look at it's 5 week development cycle you may understand why. Considering that the game was being marketed - and sold - as the big Christmas event of the year and licensed off the best movie of the year, it had all the possibilities of being a success. Atari dastardly ordered 5 million cartridges made, which was probably way optimistic. But hey, they did manage to sell a million-and-a-half as the christmas gift of choice for the geeky atari owner. Which I guess isn't that bad.

Except most of them were promptly returned by annoyed customers when they discovered just how bad the game was. Atari lost more money than they really had, and were sitting on a stock of unsellable cartridges. The solution? They buried it deep in the desert somewhere, and the incident is probably the main cause for the following crash in the video game market, which more or less killed Atari as a company.

There are several other games from this era that could make the list, like the famous Atari Pac-Man port, or the notorious Custer's Revenge. Both being incredibly crappy games on so many levels, but neither really being disappointments
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_video_game_burial
    Last edited by Danner; 2012-11-20 at 12:41 AM.
    Non-discipline 2006-2019, not supporting the company any longer. Also: fails.
    MMO Champion Mafia Games - The outlet for Chronic Backstabbing Disorder. [ Join the Fun | Countdown | Rolecard Builder MkII ]

So is this thread actually about game failures or is it just "pick 3 games I didn't like?" Because that's what most people seem to be doing here.

Quote Originally Posted by Danner View Post
    3: Daikatana

"John Romero will make you his bitch". If your marketting campaign is all about belittling your potential customers, at least make sure to back up that attitude with something good. And basically, Daikatana was not. Sporting a bad storyline, outdated graphics, confusing game design and not the least - bugs aplenty - the game will forever go down in gaming history as the way to not make a game. The reviewers were not impressed, and took great joy in slaughtering what was left. As did the rest of the internet. And some of it for good reasons.

For a very in-depth review at everything wrong with this game, and why it was such a disappointment, take a look at
    http://www.firingsquad.com/games/daikatana/default.asp

Not quite making it to the list, but failing for similar reasons: Doom 3

2: Final Fantasy 14

Square Enix' second attempt at making a wow killer... a game so counterintuitive, annoying and un-fun that the head of the company publicly apologized and offered everyone free playtime until the game could be fixed. Which never happened, by the way, despite several attempts. The game was shut down permanently earlier this month.

I think gamespot covered it succinctly.
    http://www.gamespot.com/final-fantas...eview-6280901/

Not quite making it to the list, but failing for similar reasons: Final Fantasy 13.

1: E.T the Extra Terrestial (Atari, 1982)

It is easy to see why this game is considered the worst financial game disaster in history. It's made back in the good old atari days, when games were simple. But even by the standards of the day, this game was just not cutting it, and when you look at it's 5 week development cycle you may understand why. Considering that the game was being marketed - and sold - as the big Christmas event of the year and licensed off the best movie of the year, it had all the possibilities of being a success. Atari dastardly ordered 5 million cartridges made, which was probably way optimistic. But hey, they did manage to sell a million-and-a-half as the christmas gift of choice for the geeky atari owner. Which I guess isn't that bad.

Except most of them were promptly returned by annoyed customers ater they discovered just how bad the game was. Atari lost more money than they really had, and were sitting on a stock of unsellable cartridges. The solution? They buried it deep in the desert somewhere, and the incident is probably the main cause for the following crash in the video game market, which more or less killed Atari as a company.

There are several other games from this era that could make the list, like the famous Atari Pac-Man port, or the notorious Custer's Revenge. Both being incredibly crappy games on so many levels, but neither really being disappointments
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_video_game_burial
    I agree with point 1.

I still remember the story. The storage problem of non sellable cratridges ... was this huge that they needed to dig for weeks to burry the cartridges. The problem was that by the time the game was made ... (1982) the new home computers with far better graphics were taking over the markets. (Atari 400/800 and Commodore 64); so the demand for the Atari console games crashed in just a couple of months.

And the game was terrible of course...

Atari made the BEST game for the Atari home computers though: STAR RAIDERS. Just look it up on wikipedia. It was elected in the top 10 of best video games ever. Full 3D and combat in space ... in 1980... on a 4K Ram cartridge... Awesome. 8 K Ram at the time costed around ... 200 dollars (that's 8 KiloBytes !). I bought a TRS 80 with 8 K Ram back in 1979 and the man who sold it to me said I would NEVER need more than 4K RAm tops. (showing me a print listing of 6 pages making up the 4K Ram memory...)

Oh the good times ... Moon lander was my very first home video game: some digits showing your speed of the LEM module and you needed to push the space bar to handle the rockets to reduce speed. The monitor could only handle characters of course ...
    Last edited by BenBos; 2012-11-20 at 12:52 AM.

Deleted
    Tropico 4. i liked tropico 3, so i bought number 4, and it was basically the same, only difference was like 3 new buildings, rest of the game was exactly the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    These are as per my personal opinion - games I have been most disappointed in recently. I can't call "game failures" on things that were widely popular, but I thought "failed"

1. For me, Aion - way to grindy to get to max level.
    2. Then, xCom - awesome game that is waaaay to short. I finished the temple quest and was then like... wtf? finished?
    3. Age of Empires on-line - Awesome idea destroyed by greed. I still log on from time to time, but they have made it far too cash shop orientated to win major quests.