Page 19 of 31 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Drihan View Post
    3. SWtoR:

I love this game, the only problems it has ever had is due to horrible management. It's like the bosses are completely clueless as to what to push for next and what is the most important. EA was branded the World's Worst Company 2 years in a row for a reason.
    While the worst company 2 years in a row may be true, believe it or not they did not have alot to do with SWTOR (outside of being the 'owner' I suppose). That was Bioware's baby; they even outsourced customer service specifically for that game. I called EA raising hell about account problems, and I was politely told "Bioware has full control over that. We are not thrilled about the reports of the poor customer service, trust me, we're ticked off too."
    Quote Originally Posted by Standsinfire View Post
    Me: whyumad* fixed. Seriously though, it's only because they rapin' eveerbody in here and I don't want you to be snatched out yo' windows.
    Quote Originally Posted by noepeen View Post
    If that were my dog, I'd Hulk Smash the fuck out of that raccoon.
    Or I'd shit my pants.

Deleted
    1) Star Wars: The Old Republic

Practically given a blank check and what do they do with it? Turn it into a WoW clone with lightsabers. A poor, buggy, WoW clone with a lack of endgame content. The stories were good (by no means amazing, this isn't Obsidian we're talking about). With typical BioWare logic they buried their heads in the sand, made a load of false promises and tried to pin blame on the playerbase. When this didn't happen? F2P damage control and lost most of its two million subscribers. Oh, and they probably scared off any big budget MMOs being made for the foreseeable future.

2) Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning.

See above, typical EA meddling. Dark Age of Camelot and the Warhammer license? What could go wrong?! A lot, apparently. Managed to destroy Myth's reputation in one fell swoop. There's a reason this is regarded as the first big "WoW killer failure". Rushed out to beat WotLK's release date meant that four out of six Capital Cities were removed (this is basically the same as removing four raids from your endgame) as well as four whole classes just to meet that deadline. Like SWTOR it was the biggest MMO launch for its time and the subs fell just as quickly. Good game, terrible execution.

3) Mass Effect 3.

"We want Call of Duties audience" just about sums it up. Buggy, plot holes out of its arse and ears, plus That Ending. No Mass Effect game was without its faults but 3 took the cake, reducing three dialogue options to just two, having Shepard auto-dialogue for half of the game, Day 1 DLC, bugs, bugs and more bugs, just generally shoddy and lazy design work over all (check YouTube), this along with SWTOR and Dragon Age 2 utterly destroyed BioWare's reputation.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazlehoff View Post
    Wow WOLK: B*tch queen dumbed wow down so hard. it made me quite sad.
    Wow Cata: Cakeclisym was borring as hell. had great points but overall was dumb.
    SWTOR/Rift/GW2/AoC/"wowkiller": Lol thinking they could kill wow. funny stuff. dont compete with wow. no matter how much they screw it up, they have the established fanbase to float them through.
    I will say on your final point, admittedly none of them said they would compete against WoW (Except maybe RIFT) and most of those still are running as F2P/established games that make a profit, and none of them particularly suck enough to be considered a failure to me. I do get your point though.

Anyway, my list.

Duke Nukem Forever.
    Kingdom of Amalur: Reckoning
    Revelations 2012
    I consider those three the biggest failures, (KoA was more personal to me though.)

Quote Originally Posted by Kazlehoff View Post
    SWTOR/Rift/GW2/AoC/"wowkiller": Lol thinking they could kill wow. funny stuff. dont compete with wow. no matter how much they screw it up, they have the established fanbase to float them through.
    You know it was mostly the fanbase claiming they were WoW killers, right? (By fanbase, I mean mostly WoW fanbase tired of the game.) Besides Rift.

Quote Originally Posted by Digglett View Post
    You know it was mostly the fanbase claiming they were WoW killers, right? (By fanbase, I mean mostly WoW fanbase tired of the game.) Besides Rift.
    And the one that was poking at WoW (Rift) is the only one that seems to be doing just fine. Not sure about GW2 as I haven't followed that. But it seems every single game out there that the playerbase has deemed a "wow killer" has gone free to play/freemium, except for Rift.

I have found that most of the wow "killer" claims have come from disgruntled wow players.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    SWTOR is really the only one I can come up with. It failed financially and it failed against even the most reasonable expectations of the consumers. I think Global Agenda can sit on that perch as well.

I have a hard time thinking of anything else at the moment...there are games I don't/didn't like that were big commercial successes (most MMS's) and there are games I really like that weren't all that profitable.

10+ Year Old Account
    1: Diablo 3

2: Spore

3: Far Cry 2

MMO-wise:

1: Final Fantasy 14

2: SW: ToR

3: Warhammer

Deleted
    Didn't read all 20 pages but Hellgate London deserves a mention. Especially the life-time buyers got flagshipped nicely.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    Combined these games (WOW + expansions + Diablo 3) must have sold around 40 million copies on ONE platform.

Total revenue in 8 years WOW alone is around 8 billion dollars revenue (last 5 years around 1.2 billion dollars per year according to Blizzard stock holders balance sheets...)...

That's 4 times more than Avatar... 2 times more than the complete COD franchise (thank you subscriptions)...

Yeah, big failure....

Not financially..

But still a failure if you look old wow/new wow.

Fast-food gaming in my opinion. Never a good thing
    Last edited by Malkazam; 2012-11-22 at 06:27 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    SWG, NGE. 'Nuff said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

GW2
    SW:ToR
    FF14/Torchlight 2 (TL2 was a little to simplistic for me)

There are bigger game failures but i stayed with "In recent history" with my choices.

1: Dragon Age 2 ( The game was such a let down for me, far too many things where changed from the original )
    2: Gothic 4
    3: Age of Conan

One persons worst 3 games might be another gamers favorites.
    My games that I remember being bad are:

Syndicate EA Games remake. The Original Syndicate on Amiga was one of my favorite games of all time, and EA games comes and makes this piece of crap
    Tera Online (for some reason i really hate that game on so many level :P )
    WOW Cataclysm. (made me quit the game after having played it since early Classic )

The one that comes to mind is Spore.

There was so much hype for this game, so much innovation, the game that was gonna change everything, Will Wrights initial demo at the GDC conference was amazing, then you slowly started seeing the EA coming through, starting to make it more kid friendly, suddenly you had all these bright colours and singing and dancing with creatures. It changed so much which led to Will Wrights eventual departure from Maxis in 2009.

The game had so much potential, and turned out to be pretty shitty. (The creature/vehicle/building creators were pretty fun though)
    {◕ ◡ ◕}

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Profyrion View Post
    Hah, I knew SWTOR would be on this list. So many people butthurt over that game.

Still subscribed, still playing, still loving the hell out of it. AKA: Not a failure.
    for you and the other 103 still playing it before it went f2p maybe, I am a big Star Wars Fan, but that game was and is defintely not good ><

So, for the Gameplay itself the newest I remember:

Swtor
    GW2
    D3 at beginning, now it`s good

sells...dunno...

Age of Conan
    warhammer online
    ...more?

TERA, most definitely TERA.
    "Loss of blood... My only weakness!"
    ~ Warlord Khan, Magicka

Anyway, if you don't already see where I'm going with this, allow me to spell it out: the only meaningful MMORPG "endgame" -- i.e., something novel to do after the progression process is over -- is that of the sandbox.

10+ Year Old Account
    The OP's post implies personal letdowns as opposed to financial failures, so that's what I'm going with.

1. Assassin's Creed (the original game, not the series as a whole). I liked the combat, and the story was okay, but it was so freaking repetitive. After the 3rd kill, you realize you are just doing the same thing over and over, in a slightly different landscape. I got AC at release, and once I was finished, I was done with the series until about a year ago when I saw my friend playing Brotherhood and decided to give 2, Brotherhood and Revelations a try. Huge improvement.

2. Family Guy: The Video Game. Such bad depth perception.

3. The Sims 3. I just couldn't get into it. I'm not sure why. Maybe I was just burned out from Sims and Sims 2 (and their expansions) and Sims 3 didn't add enough to keep it fresh.

I'm tempted to add D3, but I honestly didn't have any real expectations for it anyway, so it wasn't really a letdown. I only got it because it came free with the Annual Pass, and only bothered playing it because of all the D2 love that goes around. Once normal mode was done, so was I.

cant help it but i want to butchslap the OP...

Anyway back on topic for me it is:
    1. Duke nukem forever
    2. Dungeon Siege 3
    3. insert ANY EA Game here, they all share this rank...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    Again, just because something is financial success does not mean it wouldn't fail on other areas. The OP didn't demand financial failures.
    Then the question should really be "What games do you think are bad?"

The only objective way to determine success in a business is financially.