Page 29 of 31 FirstFirst ...
19
27
28
29
30
31
LastLast
  1. #561
    I posted my comment without reading any previous pages first, that's why I figured I was going to get crucified for FF13 and DA2. Just looking at page 14 there are numerous mentions of both to my surprise. Lots of people also say they didn't like FF12 but I'll say it grew on me a lot. I played through like 80% of it with a close buddy and look back on that as a great experience (which is probably where most of my enjoyment came from). I kinda wanna pick it up now b/c I never even finished it.

    Sadly, if FF13 and DA2 didn't have their names/expectations to live up to they would be pretty middle-of-the-road titles but I came into both expecting something revolutionary but getting the bare minimum.

    I got my Neo Geo when I was 14 so that kinda shows I'm pretty much a senior citizen when it comes to these forums. ;-)

  2. #562
    Quote Originally Posted by panterarules View Post
    2. Mortal Kombat 4

    All franchise gutting games. Took MK another 7 (?) iterations to get back to it's former glory.
    Hah. Yeah, MK4 was ridiculously bad. I think it was something like a 20 meg 3D game which really shows how much content was in there and how bad the engine was. Though a couple of the PS2 MKs with story modes were alright for a playthrough. MK9 was pretty awesome.

  3. #563
    Legendary! Luko's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Danger Zone
    Posts
    6,162
    Quote Originally Posted by mikepic View Post
    I posted my comment without reading any previous pages first, that's why I figured I was going to get crucified for FF13 and DA2. Just looking at page 14 there are numerous mentions of both to my surprise. Lots of people also say they didn't like FF12 but I'll say it grew on me a lot. I played through like 80% of it with a close buddy and look back on that as a great experience (which is probably where most of my enjoyment came from). I kinda wanna pick it up now b/c I never even finished it.

    Sadly, if FF13 and DA2 didn't have their names/expectations to live up to they would be pretty middle-of-the-road titles but I came into both expecting something revolutionary but getting the bare minimum.

    I got my Neo Geo when I was 14 so that kinda shows I'm pretty much a senior citizen when it comes to these forums. ;-)
    Haha we're in the same boat there. Hi-five.
    Listen kiddos, trust Handsome Jack. You want every part of this insanity.
    So many people are gonna die.

    Formerly Ryngo Blackratchet

  4. #564
    1. SW:ToR will far and away be my number one largest let down and vote for biggest failure. I spent 3 years watching the development of that game, 3 years of pure joy and excitement at the idea of another MMO in the Star Wars universe. I enjoyed the very little bit of the beta I played, not much as I didn't want to spoil the experience. The day the game launched I was sooooooo excited. This excitement lasted maybe a week, I kept expecting more. Max level was the final nail in the coffin. The game was far to similar to other MMO's and had many many more problems. Too be 100% honest, I had FAR more fun playing Star Wars Galaxies, even after that dismal CU.

    To those of you that enjoy this game, more power to you. I really wish I could have fallen in love with it. However do not kid yourself, this game WILL go down as one of the biggest flops in gaming history. If I remember correctly it is the most expensive video game produced to date. EA/Bioware will have a very hard time at this point maintaining this game let alone have it turn a profit worth their time.

    2. Mass Effect 3 was another let down, it seems Bioware is having a rough couple of years. The gameplay was great and overall it was a fun game; however, the ending to ME3 was absolute shit. They took a story that started out so epic and in a matter of about 10 minutes, made it all feel pointless.

    3. I dunno I can't really think of anything that I was so passionately disappointed with. I'm sure there is something I could put here on a personal level but I'd have to really think about it.

  5. #565
    Brewmaster
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    1,276
    I can only name 2 right now, I'd have to think long and hard for the 3rd spot, but the 2 that immediately comes to mind are:

    1. Mass Effect 3. I doubt I even need to explain. An epic journey (I absolutely love Sci-fi) ruined by the last 15 minutes of storytelling.

    2. Guild Wars 2. I'm still playing it now and then and I wouldn't call it a flop, but somehow I was expecting more. I greatly enjoyed it while leveling, but I'm not really a completionist and when I got to the max level I rather quickly found myself out of stuff to do, I loathe farming with a passion and to be frank, most of the "endgame" activities involved countless hours of farming of some kind.

  6. #566
    I'm not meaning to offend anyone, I'm genuinely curious. I see many examples of this in the thread, and one just a couple posts up. (MathPraetor's #1 pick) How is it people follow the whole/some development of a game, read about it and get excited then play it and are surprised at what the game is? A LOT of people did it with Diablo 3 too, the information was there before launch...it's the internet after all. It just confuses me how people manage to hype themselves up while reading/seeing things they don't like, then only realize they don't like them after paying for and playing a game.

    On topic:

    1. FFXIV - Holy crap, what a mess. I somewhat hinted at it in the first paragraph that high expectations can lead to disappointment, but this game I didn't have very high expectations and it STILL blew me away at how bad it was. The fact that more than one person can spend years and any amount of money, let alone thousands and thousands and this was the best that came out of the process is mind boggling. No semblance of class balance/uniqueness, no content, half-assed story at best, game breaking bugs some requiring you to delete your character and more that I don't care to list. I played FFXI for a little while, played every FF game except chocobo dungeons and all I can says is wow.

    2. Crysis 2 - I built my first gaming PC for the launch of Crysis and loved the game entirely. I loved the multiplayer power struggle mode involving giant maps, multiple bases with tanks/boats/planes/helicopters and actually being able to fly out into the hills and snipe people from half a mile out. Crysis 2 shat on the story in single player, not to say the story in Crysis 2 was bad in itself but it had basically zero connections to Crysis, might as well have made it a whole new game series. Multiplayer was degraded to Call of Duty in a nano-suit, and I am no fan of Call of Duty.

    3. Any Call of Duty title and most "Modern Military Shooters" in general. I used to like first person shooters, both the arcade high-action style and the more realistic or strategic ones. I played tons of the Delta Force series on the PC, all of the medal of honors, most of the Socom games as well but it's been awhile since a shooter worth a damn has launched. Stop twisting the genre into more crappy CoD clones damnit.

    To my surprise I'm quite liking Halo 4 *when it works* but the P2P hosting, lag switching, lag in general and multiplayer bugs are starting to make the game sit on the shelf despite being pretty well designed.

  7. #567
    Blademaster
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    in a house
    Posts
    45
    what most ppl dont remember was how bad D2 was at the start in comparison d3 was much better (lol i know) tbh i re downloaded d3 again other day and im actually enjoying it hated it and uninstalled after 2 weeks i also got mine with anuall pass

  8. #568
    Quote Originally Posted by Museigen View Post
    I'm not meaning to offend anyone, I'm genuinely curious. I see many examples of this in the thread, and one just a couple posts up. (MathPraetor's #1 pick) How is it people follow the whole/some development of a game, read about it and get excited then play it and are surprised at what the game is? A LOT of people did it with Diablo 3 too, the information was there before launch...it's the internet after all. It just confuses me how people manage to hype themselves up while reading/seeing things they don't like, then only realize they don't like them after paying for and playing a game.

    On topic:

    1. FFXIV - Holy crap, what a mess. I somewhat hinted at it in the first paragraph that high expectations can lead to disappointment, but this game I didn't have very high expectations and it STILL blew me away at how bad it was. The fact that more than one person can spend years and any amount of money, let alone thousands and thousands and this was the best that came out of the process is mind boggling. No semblance of class balance/uniqueness, no content, half-assed story at best, game breaking bugs some requiring you to delete your character and more that I don't care to list. I played FFXI for a little while, played every FF game except chocobo dungeons and all I can says is wow.

    2. Crysis 2 - I built my first gaming PC for the launch of Crysis and loved the game entirely. I loved the multiplayer power struggle mode involving giant maps, multiple bases with tanks/boats/planes/helicopters and actually being able to fly out into the hills and snipe people from half a mile out. Crysis 2 shat on the story in single player, not to say the story in Crysis 2 was bad in itself but it had basically zero connections to Crysis, might as well have made it a whole new game series. Multiplayer was degraded to Call of Duty in a nano-suit, and I am no fan of Call of Duty.

    3. Any Call of Duty title and most "Modern Military Shooters" in general. I used to like first person shooters, both the arcade high-action style and the more realistic or strategic ones. I played tons of the Delta Force series on the PC, all of the medal of honors, most of the Socom games as well but it's been awhile since a shooter worth a damn has launched. Stop twisting the genre into more crappy CoD clones damnit.

    To my surprise I'm quite liking Halo 4 *when it works* but the P2P hosting, lag switching, lag in general and multiplayer bugs are starting to make the game sit on the shelf despite being pretty well designed.
    Reading about something and actually seeing it in action are two very different things. Also if you take into consideration that SWTOR was VERY secretive with prelaunch game info, its not that unbelievable. I wasn't surprised at what it turned out to be, I was disappointed. On paper the game seemed much cooler than it actually was. Do you really believe that I would have been so very excited had they come out before the game launched and posted publicly every single issue the game had? Major game breaking issues were not made public until after the game launched, and for good reason on their part.

    Also I happen to be really enjoying the newest CoD clone. Pretty fun game.

  9. #569
    Heroes of Might and Magic 4 - Never have I seen a company make a game series that fell from masterpiece to utter shit in one sequel.

    SWTOR - Never have I seen a more greedy, money grabbing, cash in blow up in someone's face. My thoughts go out to the people who purchased the CE for that ridiculous price.

    Final Fantasy 13 - Square-Enix can go eat a dick until they realise having Justin Bieber in your party and hammering the x button for 40 hours is not what Final Fantasy should be.

  10. #570
    Pandaren Monk ZeroWashu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    1,978
    Quote Originally Posted by probert View Post
    Battlecruiser 3000 AD.
    Masters of Orion 3.
    Daikatana.
    .
    Oh I hate you for reminding me of MOO3. I remember getting into endless arguments with Alan over his damn ideas and how the game was so not fun. The Quarter to Three review was so spot on it was hilarious, it got very comical when the Atari/Quicksilver people banned the QT3 people from their forums or anyone who agreed with the review.

    I also remember the whole Derek Smart BC3000 fiasco, a friend of mine worked on that mess and with him afterward. Some of his stories astounded me at the time concerning how game development worked.

    If we are going back in time for disappointments, then I will reach back to Outpost. A space simulator whose strategy book showed off how to use features that did not ship!!!!
    iMac
    2012-03-05 : The day SWTOR jumped the shark
    Mages are basically "warlocks for girls" - Kerrath

  11. #571
    1. Daikatana.
    2. Duke Nukem Forever. It should have stayed in the grave.. It's been delayed soo long that it was impossible to meet the expectations.
    3. SWTOR.. I knew what I'm getting when I turned it on.. But It was even more generic wow clone that I thought it could be. Animations are clunky, jumping looks funny, quests except for class quests are boring, combat looks stiff and boring.. I can live with many of those things in old game, but for a new MMO that was supposed to shake the world? No, it's just a disappointing thing :? I didn't expect much, I got even less..
    I'm still waiting for SW MMO with combat more like Jedi Academy, fast paced, skill based etc, not yet another shortcut based game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Archaeon View Post
    In tbc everyone wished they were playing vanilla. In cataclysm everyone will wish they were playing wotlk.
    ^------True story!!

  12. #572
    Quote Originally Posted by Dabrix32 View Post
    This.

    The old MMOs were awesome like Ultima Online, Dark Age of Camelot, EverQuest, Final Fantasy XI. What the hell happened after WoW came out? Did game developers just give up?
    Many of them decide to play "safe" and took WoW's formula and failed miserably to try brand out. Or whatever they were trying didn't differentiate enough, because it played very similar to WoW and yet WoW was already there all polished so people would go back after about a month of playing new MMO.

    Most of those titles you mentioned are aimed at specific audience (hardcore players) which does not look well on the paper from business perspective. WoW provides a theme park MMO with minimal risk/punishment/consequence for bad player decisions/bad plays which old school MMOs were brutal.

    I think some devs are starting to notice that many people want games with harsh consequence back.
    Last edited by Elenion; 2012-11-27 at 07:34 PM.

  13. #573
    swtor
    tsw
    gw2
    Disappointing year.

  14. #574
    Moderator Sj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    5,750
    Guess I'll chime in with mine.

    First would be WoW, mainly because Dragon Soul seemed so anti-climactic. The fights were fine, just the whole package felt lacking to me. I was sorta burnt out by that point.

    Other game would be The Secret World. I wasn't really disappointed in the game itself, but more of how poorly it was marketed and how poorly it ended up performing. There's a great community in the game, it's just really small.

    I was disappointed with Diablo 3, too, but that's a personal hang-up. I loved D2 and I didn't have realistic expectations for D3.

  15. #575
    Mechagnome Xykotic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    567
    Diablo 3, Dragon age 2 and Mass Effect 3's ending.

    And Guild Wars 2, i was expecting so much after all the positive reviews, got to 25 before i was so bored i couldn't bring myself to log back in again.

    Honestly i was really happy with Swtor and Age of conan which alot of people seem to post here.

  16. #576
    1.RIFT - wow killer LOL
    2.SWTOR - more nockbacks please
    3.AION - ...

  17. #577
    Moderator Sj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    5,750
    Quote Originally Posted by Critical92 View Post
    Honestly i was really happy with Swtor and Age of conan which alot of people seem to post here.
    I really enjoyed Age of Conan too. I still play it from time to time.

  18. #578
    Legendary! Digglett's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    FC World
    Posts
    6,385
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarahjane View Post
    I really enjoyed Age of Conan too. I still play it from time to time.
    I liked it.. until level 20, then the quality just dropped so drastically, it was honestly disappointing.


  19. #579
    Moderator Sj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    5,750
    Quote Originally Posted by Digglett View Post
    I liked it.. until level 20, then the quality just dropped so drastically, it was honestly disappointing.
    The PVP was pretty awesome though. The quest quality did drop though, and having to grind out the last 10ish levels or so was a drag. The combat was great though. I pretty much killed everything I came across just because I enjoyed the combat so much.

  20. #580
    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Bob View Post
    Yes and no. People expect so much from video games nowadays that the industry simply can't keep up. Gamers have been spoiled rotten and learned to have very high demands regardless that games that actually come close to meeting most of these demands are extremely rare.
    Yes, it is extremely rare to get a hold of a good game like BG2, Torment, NWN2, Pharaoh, AoE2, kotor etc, because most of the games nowadays are more about shiny pixels and $$$ from innitial sales and microtransactions than about being a good game. Its sad when I want to play a good game, I have to put 10-15 years old CD in.

    on topic: biggest letdown was SWToR for me. Played it for 2 months or so, leveled 5 classes to 50, but there was very little to do afterwards, so I guess okay singleplayer game, horrible MMO. I gave the F2P a try, but when I saw I had to buy extra action bars just so i could fit all my skills on them...

    D3 was another. I had it to from AP thank god, because it was boring as hell. Maybe its better now, after 8 months (still without pvp?) but I dont care anymore. It should have been polished at launch, not the clusterfuck it was.

    DNF... nuff said.

    oh yea, and Oblivion. For some reason, after great Morrowind, I couldnt bring myself to play Oblivion, I had few like 30 minute sessions but always quit of being bored.
    Last edited by Sarevokcz; 2012-11-29 at 02:23 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •