Page 28 of 31 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    Before the flooded basement, you never actually encounter any monster that can harm you. The game gets much better after the basement.
    Once you start to encounter them, you will notice flaws, like why the hell cant they see you behind that crate.

Whole "you will go insane if you look at them" thing was just put in as an attempt to hide those mistakes.

And later, you will learn the pattern. Grab plot coupon, monster spawns, hide, wait until tense music stops, proceed. SH: Shattered Memories did this much better, you really feel that you cant hide anywhere (and you really cant, permanently anyway).
    Last edited by Verdugo; 2012-11-26 at 08:30 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    1) Smash Bros. Brawl.
    It's been years since playing it so I can't recall all the reasons it was a letdown. Lack of some old characters while new ones seemed half done, worthless single player campaign, tripping, forced items, weak maps, horrible online play, fundamental changes to characters. Overall it just didn't have the longevity of Melee and the original. Didn't help that I bought a Wii almost solely for it.

2)Kingdom Hearts 2.
    The first one was the first game I had ever beaten and what turned me on to RPGs. I waited in anticipation for 2 and the final product was just boring. Breezed through the entire game only dying once or twice, a weak storyline (I can't remember if it made no sense or made perfect sense but was just very dull.) Again this was a long time ago so my memory is fuzzy, but I think the only thing I liked about it was the introduction of fusing with another character. Also while I loved the herculean arena in the first one, the changes in the second killed the fun.

I can't think of a specific #3. Something like Prince of Persia 2, Jade Empire, FFXII, SW:KOTOR 2, Pariah, GTA: San Andreas and 4. Just games I had high hopes for that I played because of expectations rather than enjoyment, most either tried to change too radically, or tried to do too much and the gameplay suffered.
    Last edited by ProphetFlume; 2012-11-26 at 09:59 PM.

Diablo III

Age of Conan

Far Cry 2

DA2
    The Ending to ME3 (not the whole game)
    DNF

I know I'm gonna get flamed for this:

1. Final Fantasy 13
    2. Dragon Age II
    3. Magician Lord (Neo Geo - I had such high expectations for this game and they fell waaaay short)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mikepic View Post
    I know I'm gonna get flamed for this:

1. Final Fantasy 13
    2. Dragon Age II
    3. Magician Lord (Neo Geo - I had such high expectations for this game and they fell waaaay short)
    I don't see how. Those are all 3 pretty regarded as huge let downs. Also, well done on the Magician Lord. Don't hear about that one much anymore.
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

I posted my comment without reading any previous pages first, that's why I figured I was going to get crucified for FF13 and DA2. Just looking at page 14 there are numerous mentions of both to my surprise. Lots of people also say they didn't like FF12 but I'll say it grew on me a lot. I played through like 80% of it with a close buddy and look back on that as a great experience (which is probably where most of my enjoyment came from). I kinda wanna pick it up now b/c I never even finished it.

Sadly, if FF13 and DA2 didn't have their names/expectations to live up to they would be pretty middle-of-the-road titles but I came into both expecting something revolutionary but getting the bare minimum.

I got my Neo Geo when I was 14 so that kinda shows I'm pretty much a senior citizen when it comes to these forums. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by panterarules View Post
    2. Mortal Kombat 4

All franchise gutting games. Took MK another 7 (?) iterations to get back to it's former glory.
    Hah. Yeah, MK4 was ridiculously bad. I think it was something like a 20 meg 3D game which really shows how much content was in there and how bad the engine was. Though a couple of the PS2 MKs with story modes were alright for a playthrough. MK9 was pretty awesome.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mikepic View Post
    I posted my comment without reading any previous pages first, that's why I figured I was going to get crucified for FF13 and DA2. Just looking at page 14 there are numerous mentions of both to my surprise. Lots of people also say they didn't like FF12 but I'll say it grew on me a lot. I played through like 80% of it with a close buddy and look back on that as a great experience (which is probably where most of my enjoyment came from). I kinda wanna pick it up now b/c I never even finished it.

Sadly, if FF13 and DA2 didn't have their names/expectations to live up to they would be pretty middle-of-the-road titles but I came into both expecting something revolutionary but getting the bare minimum.

I got my Neo Geo when I was 14 so that kinda shows I'm pretty much a senior citizen when it comes to these forums. ;-)
    Haha we're in the same boat there. Hi-five.
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

1. SW:ToR will far and away be my number one largest let down and vote for biggest failure. I spent 3 years watching the development of that game, 3 years of pure joy and excitement at the idea of another MMO in the Star Wars universe. I enjoyed the very little bit of the beta I played, not much as I didn't want to spoil the experience. The day the game launched I was sooooooo excited. This excitement lasted maybe a week, I kept expecting more. Max level was the final nail in the coffin. The game was far to similar to other MMO's and had many many more problems. Too be 100% honest, I had FAR more fun playing Star Wars Galaxies, even after that dismal CU.

To those of you that enjoy this game, more power to you. I really wish I could have fallen in love with it. However do not kid yourself, this game WILL go down as one of the biggest flops in gaming history. If I remember correctly it is the most expensive video game produced to date. EA/Bioware will have a very hard time at this point maintaining this game let alone have it turn a profit worth their time.

2. Mass Effect 3 was another let down, it seems Bioware is having a rough couple of years. The gameplay was great and overall it was a fun game; however, the ending to ME3 was absolute shit. They took a story that started out so epic and in a matter of about 10 minutes, made it all feel pointless.

3. I dunno I can't really think of anything that I was so passionately disappointed with. I'm sure there is something I could put here on a personal level but I'd have to really think about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can only name 2 right now, I'd have to think long and hard for the 3rd spot, but the 2 that immediately comes to mind are:

1. Mass Effect 3. I doubt I even need to explain. An epic journey (I absolutely love Sci-fi) ruined by the last 15 minutes of storytelling.

2. Guild Wars 2. I'm still playing it now and then and I wouldn't call it a flop, but somehow I was expecting more. I greatly enjoyed it while leveling, but I'm not really a completionist and when I got to the max level I rather quickly found myself out of stuff to do, I loathe farming with a passion and to be frank, most of the "endgame" activities involved countless hours of farming of some kind.

I'm not meaning to offend anyone, I'm genuinely curious. I see many examples of this in the thread, and one just a couple posts up. (MathPraetor's #1 pick) How is it people follow the whole/some development of a game, read about it and get excited then play it and are surprised at what the game is? A LOT of people did it with Diablo 3 too, the information was there before launch...it's the internet after all. It just confuses me how people manage to hype themselves up while reading/seeing things they don't like, then only realize they don't like them after paying for and playing a game.

On topic:

1. FFXIV - Holy crap, what a mess. I somewhat hinted at it in the first paragraph that high expectations can lead to disappointment, but this game I didn't have very high expectations and it STILL blew me away at how bad it was. The fact that more than one person can spend years and any amount of money, let alone thousands and thousands and this was the best that came out of the process is mind boggling. No semblance of class balance/uniqueness, no content, half-assed story at best, game breaking bugs some requiring you to delete your character and more that I don't care to list. I played FFXI for a little while, played every FF game except chocobo dungeons and all I can says is wow.

2. Crysis 2 - I built my first gaming PC for the launch of Crysis and loved the game entirely. I loved the multiplayer power struggle mode involving giant maps, multiple bases with tanks/boats/planes/helicopters and actually being able to fly out into the hills and snipe people from half a mile out. Crysis 2 shat on the story in single player, not to say the story in Crysis 2 was bad in itself but it had basically zero connections to Crysis, might as well have made it a whole new game series. Multiplayer was degraded to Call of Duty in a nano-suit, and I am no fan of Call of Duty.

3. Any Call of Duty title and most "Modern Military Shooters" in general. I used to like first person shooters, both the arcade high-action style and the more realistic or strategic ones. I played tons of the Delta Force series on the PC, all of the medal of honors, most of the Socom games as well but it's been awhile since a shooter worth a damn has launched. Stop twisting the genre into more crappy CoD clones damnit.

To my surprise I'm quite liking Halo 4 *when it works* but the P2P hosting, lag switching, lag in general and multiplayer bugs are starting to make the game sit on the shelf despite being pretty well designed.

Deleted
    what most ppl dont remember was how bad D2 was at the start in comparison d3 was much better (lol i know) tbh i re downloaded d3 again other day and im actually enjoying it hated it and uninstalled after 2 weeks i also got mine with anuall pass

Quote Originally Posted by Museigen View Post
    I'm not meaning to offend anyone, I'm genuinely curious. I see many examples of this in the thread, and one just a couple posts up. (MathPraetor's #1 pick) How is it people follow the whole/some development of a game, read about it and get excited then play it and are surprised at what the game is? A LOT of people did it with Diablo 3 too, the information was there before launch...it's the internet after all. It just confuses me how people manage to hype themselves up while reading/seeing things they don't like, then only realize they don't like them after paying for and playing a game.

On topic:

1. FFXIV - Holy crap, what a mess. I somewhat hinted at it in the first paragraph that high expectations can lead to disappointment, but this game I didn't have very high expectations and it STILL blew me away at how bad it was. The fact that more than one person can spend years and any amount of money, let alone thousands and thousands and this was the best that came out of the process is mind boggling. No semblance of class balance/uniqueness, no content, half-assed story at best, game breaking bugs some requiring you to delete your character and more that I don't care to list. I played FFXI for a little while, played every FF game except chocobo dungeons and all I can says is wow.

2. Crysis 2 - I built my first gaming PC for the launch of Crysis and loved the game entirely. I loved the multiplayer power struggle mode involving giant maps, multiple bases with tanks/boats/planes/helicopters and actually being able to fly out into the hills and snipe people from half a mile out. Crysis 2 shat on the story in single player, not to say the story in Crysis 2 was bad in itself but it had basically zero connections to Crysis, might as well have made it a whole new game series. Multiplayer was degraded to Call of Duty in a nano-suit, and I am no fan of Call of Duty.

3. Any Call of Duty title and most "Modern Military Shooters" in general. I used to like first person shooters, both the arcade high-action style and the more realistic or strategic ones. I played tons of the Delta Force series on the PC, all of the medal of honors, most of the Socom games as well but it's been awhile since a shooter worth a damn has launched. Stop twisting the genre into more crappy CoD clones damnit.

To my surprise I'm quite liking Halo 4 *when it works* but the P2P hosting, lag switching, lag in general and multiplayer bugs are starting to make the game sit on the shelf despite being pretty well designed.
    Reading about something and actually seeing it in action are two very different things. Also if you take into consideration that SWTOR was VERY secretive with prelaunch game info, its not that unbelievable. I wasn't surprised at what it turned out to be, I was disappointed. On paper the game seemed much cooler than it actually was. Do you really believe that I would have been so very excited had they come out before the game launched and posted publicly every single issue the game had? Major game breaking issues were not made public until after the game launched, and for good reason on their part.

Also I happen to be really enjoying the newest CoD clone. Pretty fun game.

Deleted
    Heroes of Might and Magic 4 - Never have I seen a company make a game series that fell from masterpiece to utter shit in one sequel.

SWTOR - Never have I seen a more greedy, money grabbing, cash in blow up in someone's face. My thoughts go out to the people who purchased the CE for that ridiculous price.

Final Fantasy 13 - Square-Enix can go eat a dick until they realise having Justin Bieber in your party and hammering the x button for 40 hours is not what Final Fantasy should be.

Quote Originally Posted by probert View Post
    Battlecruiser 3000 AD.
    Masters of Orion 3.
    Daikatana.
    Oh I hate you for reminding me of MOO3. I remember getting into endless arguments with Alan over his damn ideas and how the game was so not fun. The Quarter to Three review was so spot on it was hilarious, it got very comical when the Atari/Quicksilver people banned the QT3 people from their forums or anyone who agreed with the review.

I also remember the whole Derek Smart BC3000 fiasco, a friend of mine worked on that mess and with him afterward. Some of his stories astounded me at the time concerning how game development worked.

If we are going back in time for disappointments, then I will reach back to Outpost. A space simulator whose strategy book showed off how to use features that did not ship!!!!
    iMac
    2012-03-05 : The day SWTOR jumped the shark
    Mages are basically "warlocks for girls" - Kerrath

1. Daikatana.
    2. Duke Nukem Forever. It should have stayed in the grave.. It's been delayed soo long that it was impossible to meet the expectations.
    3. SWTOR.. I knew what I'm getting when I turned it on.. But It was even more generic wow clone that I thought it could be. Animations are clunky, jumping looks funny, quests except for class quests are boring, combat looks stiff and boring.. I can live with many of those things in old game, but for a new MMO that was supposed to shake the world? No, it's just a disappointing thing :? I didn't expect much, I got even less..
    I'm still waiting for SW MMO with combat more like Jedi Academy, fast paced, skill based etc, not yet another shortcut based game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Archaeon View Post
    In tbc everyone wished they were playing vanilla. In cataclysm everyone will wish they were playing wotlk.
    ^------True story!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dabrix32 View Post
    This.

The old MMOs were awesome like Ultima Online, Dark Age of Camelot, EverQuest, Final Fantasy XI. What the hell happened after WoW came out? Did game developers just give up?
    Many of them decide to play "safe" and took WoW's formula and failed miserably to try brand out. Or whatever they were trying didn't differentiate enough, because it played very similar to WoW and yet WoW was already there all polished so people would go back after about a month of playing new MMO.

Most of those titles you mentioned are aimed at specific audience (hardcore players) which does not look well on the paper from business perspective. WoW provides a theme park MMO with minimal risk/punishment/consequence for bad player decisions/bad plays which old school MMOs were brutal.

I think some devs are starting to notice that many people want games with harsh consequence back.
    Last edited by Elenion; 2012-11-27 at 07:34 PM.

swtor
    tsw
    gw2
    Disappointing year.

Guess I'll chime in with mine.

First would be WoW, mainly because Dragon Soul seemed so anti-climactic. The fights were fine, just the whole package felt lacking to me. I was sorta burnt out by that point.

Other game would be The Secret World. I wasn't really disappointed in the game itself, but more of how poorly it was marketed and how poorly it ended up performing. There's a great community in the game, it's just really small.

I was disappointed with Diablo 3, too, but that's a personal hang-up. I loved D2 and I didn't have realistic expectations for D3.