Poll: Glad its finally over?

Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Is anyone else happy cataclysm is over and done with?

After playing wow for so many years now, I have to say, cataclysm felt to me the worst period of time in the games history.

The alterations to the world. The attitude of appealing only to hardcore players instead of the wider community. The changes made to the lore. The divided max level zones only access via portals. And so many other problems.

I' hated playing though cata, and around the time found myself slipping off onto other mmos and games to take a break from it. The only saving grace felt like the final installment, and even then the raiding was worse then anything before.

Overall, hated cata with every fider of my being. Where as Mists, well still feeling the pinch of what cata had caused, mists feels like what expansions like wrath and tbc once had to them, giving more access to players to do stuff, even with the boring grinds (which lets face it tbc had that same feel), it just feels so much better.
    #boycottchina

10+ Year Old Account
    Agreed, i think it had to be done, because the 1-60 vanilla experience was just a freaking mess, but unfortunaly, a lot of people just overlooked. And it did cause problems in regards to max level. Mists feels like what a xpac should be, a new land to explore, happy and utterly surprised/pleased with the NEW lore wanting it to advance even more forward in the coming patches, something that cata lacked, it just felt like there was no progressive story or anything, just Deathwing did it... Also Mists PVE just feels so right.

Also i'd like to point out that not everything in cata was terrible like so many people like to presented, it introduced VERY good encounters, like Ragnaros, Sinestra and Al'kir all which i very much enjoyed. It also introduced Reforging, TRANSMOG HOW I LOVE YOU, Looking for raid and such. But the feel of the expec just felt off and also the time in between patches. Reason why i very much like their new intent with patches like 5.1.
    Last edited by Shampro; 2012-11-19 at 05:20 PM.

Deleted
    honestly i liked cata, provided i took long pauses during 4.2 and 4.3 so probably those who absolutely wanted to stay subbed all the time were extremely bored at the end.

I'm not sure what it was, but Cata just didn't feel right from the get go. I remember grinding to 85 with my Guildmates in the first few days and...that was it. I just didn't come back. Most of my guildmates had the same story, though it took them a little longer to quit out.

It could also have been that, as a whole, everyone was burnt out from grinding LK and Cata just came at the wrong time?

Deleted
    i didnt hate cata and i had lots of fun in it, however wrath was still overall better. and the things i seen so far in MoP are the best i so far have seen, though since mop has just started the overall experience can always be worse.

It was definitely my least favorite version of WoW when compared to TBC/Wrath or even Vanilla, but I wouldn't say I completely hated it. I think my problem with Cata was just that it got old WAY too fast. Also, I hated Vash'jir. I did about 10 quests there on my warrior before moving on. Every character after that, I skipped the zone entirely and just went straight from Hyjal to Deepholm. LFR was a great idea, but the douchebags who rolled need on everything so they could distribute loot as they saw fit made it a pain in the ass.

The whole "YOU CAN'T DO THIS WITHOUT CC" attitude for doing heroics at the start sucked for me too because I played a DPS warrior. Which means I had dick squat for CC. No CC = "um sorry bro we gotta kick you, we need like a rogue or someone who can CC to run this" after waiting 45 minutes in an instance queue. I was basically told to be a tank or GTFO a few times.

The long content gap at the end where we had nothing but DS didn't take long to get old either. I actually quit playing because of that. At the time, we still had 3-4 months left until MoP, and I was completely burned out on DS with nothing else to do.
    Last edited by Ciddy; 2012-11-19 at 05:22 PM.

Over & done with - you have a way of skipping levels 80-85?

Hated Cata too. I enjoyed questing through Vash'jir and Uldum looked cool but I didn't really enjoy anything else very much in that entire expansion... I've always found elementals to be a boring "element" of the wow story and unfortunately Catacylsm had a heavy focus on them. Raids were generally a bit uninspiring to me with just a few good bosses here and there and raids are the most important part of the game to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    I liked Cata, I mean yes some set back too places with the patches (aka 4.1 and 4.3) and got boring for a while but Firelands amazing (at least for me) I liked it a lot seeing Ragnaros in all his epicness just like the first time I saw him 7 years ago was awesome. DS got boring at some point but still enjoyed doing non usual achievements and still had fun here and there once in a while, and going back with guildies do some Raid achieve and stuff we haven't done. A lot of people complained about Wrath being the worst expension than that mid cata everything was aweosme now they got DS stuck in mind, Cataclysm wasn't all about DS. And now it's Cata the worst xpac ever. I mean all xpac got their pros and cons in my opinion but gah.

As for me I miss it, because I really had a great time! Mists is awesome so far and looking foward for Patch 5.1 and beyond!

10+ Year Old Account
    Yep.

As an expansion I just never liked. The raiding was "okay" in terms of the boss mechanics but the raids and bosses were so few and far between that I didn't enjoy it in the end. Then there's story which I loathed which as many are aware cause a lot of butting heads on the forums and general dislike amongst players and fans of the lore.

However. During Cata I had some of the most fun I had, in no part due to the content though. I made a lot of friends (Who then left because of Cata's lack of content...) and had a lot of fun with the guild in general, and tbh as a raiding guild we weren't the best.
    From the POV of the time spent playing rather than the content, I will miss it. The social part really kept me playing and I enjoyed my time with my guild more than any I'd been a part of of prior. In fact the reason I'm currently dubious playing sometimes is I wonder if I will be able to top the social experience I had.

10+ Year Old Account
    I hated Cata. It was the expansion I had most problems leveling as the content was not to my taste at all, and my general hate towards elementals didn't help :P

But that aside - Comparing that expansion to all the others(I've been playing since early vanilla) I would say cata was by far the worst. Amen :P (Btw, I think Wotlk was the best)

I didn't really hate Cata, but I did get bored and took a couple breaks from playing so I didn't get horribly burnt out. Same thing pretty much happened to me every expansion though. The 1-60 revamp was the best part of the expansion, while the 80-85 leveling felt a bit disjointed but still good quality. I especially enjoyed heroics early on with an organized group, and t11 had some good bosses.
    Q: Where the fuck is Xia Xia, SIU?!?!
    A1: She needs to start making eggs for Easter...
    A2: Drunk and sleeping somewhere.

10+ Year Old Account
    I will say, firelands was a nice raid, and well dragonsoul was boring overall, the deathwing encounter was fun, probably the only fun part of that raid. Anything else was just... meh.

An expansion has to have more then decent boss fights, it needs to have an overall appeal to the community, not just the raiders or hardcore community. This is what cata lacked.
    #boycottchina

Very glad that's over with.

Cata had a lot of good things added in, but the bad GROSSLY outweighed the good.

The Good: The revamp of the old world content.

No seriously. Previous to cataclysm I had exclusively 2 toons, my druid and my Dk, that's it. I didn't dared to make another toon because the mere thought of leveling on the 1-60 content made me feel sick. Cata removed all of that, and placed truly FUN quests to do, removing so much of the HORRIBLE quest design that permeated vanilla.

Stuff like the "Fedex Quests" (AKA: An NPC in booty bay gives you a quest that goes like this: "Hey travel to tanaris, kill this mob till it drops a fang, which you then have to take to hinterlands to bless on an altar, and then travel to winterspring and use that fang to kill these mobs till they drop a relic, which empowers the fang allowing you to travel to Eastern Plaguelands so you can kill these mobs, and once you're done, meet me in Sihilitus"). Post-cata, if a quest starts in stranglethorn, IT ENDS in stranglethorn, you don't have to go doing 8 laps across the world just to complete a quest.

Another good addition from cata was the specializations, Pre-cata, if you were a shaman, and wanted to level up as enhancement, get ready to suffer for the first 30 levels or so, because most of the stuff that makes the spec FEEL like enhancement were so deep you would only get access to them at the later levels. Now, post-cata, you can feel like enhancement at lvl 10, a much shorter wait.

And the last good thing about cata was how they added guild levels, actually giving a reason to belong to a guild. (Of course, this brought the negative that any guild below lvl 25 has a HORRIBLE time leveling up, or recruiting new members.)

But the rest of cata was just so horrible. The high level zones......... I dunno who made them, but it seriously feels as if a different team altogether worked in them. They have plot-holes galore, complete disconectivity to the plot, annoying quests, and a complete lack of immersion. Uldum is the worst offender, with 80% of the zone being a bad copy of Indiana Jones.

In the pvp area, no new BGs, just reskins of old ones, no new arenas.

In the PVE area, they did the unthinkable, made 5mans ATTROCIOUSLY HARD TO COMPLETE. I've always felt that if there's any dificulty to be had in PVE, it has to be exclusively in raids. 5mans are just a timesink, a necesary timesink so that you don't get automatic gear upon reaching the level cap. IF they only serve as timesinks they MUST NOT be hard. Leveling is a timesink too, to prevent you from being at the level cap on cahracter creation, does that means leveling has to be as hard as heroic raiding? HELL NO.

The list just goes on and on, Cataclysm very nearly made me quit wow, after playing for so many years, this was the expansion that made me consider moving somewhere else. Not just me either, my guild died with cataclysm, most of them quitting, few of them returning. It really was a horror of cataclysmic proportions that nearly brought the end of the world of warcraft for me.

I must admit that blizz did redeemed themselves to me with MoP, its so good, I'm not even thinking of quitting any time soon.

Por que odiar si amar es mas dulce? (*^_^*)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    Cataclysm felt to me the worst period of time in the games history.

Absolutely this.

Only time, for more than a week or 2, that I haven't played WoW was during Cata (6-8months away)

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever the Regent-Lord needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Gniral View Post
    honestly i liked cata, provided i took long pauses during 4.2 and 4.3 so probably those who absolutely wanted to stay subbed all the time were extremely bored at the end.
    I feel the same and the only reason my sub-ended was because my computer broke and it cussed me to miss all the patches.

After playing wow for so many years now, I have to say, cataclysm felt to me the worst period of time in the games history.

The alterations to the world. The attitude of appealing only to hardcore players instead of the wider community. The changes made to the lore. The divided max level zones only access via portals. And so many other problems.

I' hated playing though cata, and around the time found myself slipping off onto other mmos and games to take a break from it. The only saving grace felt like the final installment, and even then the raiding was worse then anything before.

Overall, hated cata with every fider of my being. Where as Mists, well still feeling the pinch of what cata had caused, mists feels like what expansions like wrath and tbc once had to them, giving more access to players to do stuff, even with the boring grinds (which lets face it tbc had that same feel), it just feels so much better.
    but, its never truly 'over and done with'... as long as a single person remembers it, then its never 'over'... in fact, your post proves its not over.. just sayin'

I feel differently, started in bc, and really like cata....the zones were the most appealing to me, but then again, i like jule vernes book, i had not much of an issue that they were not connected, but they were very diverse, and thats what i care all about. I liked the 5mans when they first hit and raids too. They were finally challenging. I even liked the ridiculous imbalance in PvP in 4.0 and 4.1. But i did not like how they did implement RBGs.

I liked all of 4.2, too.

But 4.3 was the cataclysm of the cataclysm, tuned down war of the ancients 5 mans, that were easier to do than the first 5 man hcs even in 4.3 and better gear. A very boring DS raid. And way too long waiting time to the next expansion without providing any content. lets be fair cata wasn't all that bad until 4.3 did hit.

If the devs instead did in 4.3 their underwater raid as planned(you can still see the forgotten raid entrance in the abyssal maw, next to the Throne of the Tides Portal, and continue with 4.4 and the DS raid with more interesting boss mechanics and a better deathwing showdown, i think many people would speak differently about cata.

My favorite expansion is of course BC. I like the theme, i like the pve, the pvp there and the different zones. 1 contintent but with such diverse zones. I wonder why no other addon could be as great as the first one!
    Last edited by Tyrannica; 2012-11-19 at 05:40 PM.

I personally enjoyed the beginning of Cataclysm quite a bit. It was also responsible for the introduction of some long overdue quality of life improvements such as transmogrification. However, apart from that and especially towards the end it became a very numbing experience which is why I'm happy that it's over.

Mixed feelings a bit here.

I really enjoyed T11, found the heroics sufficiently difficult (hated the Wrath AoE everything), really liked the whole 1-60 revamp apart from 1 quest!

The original quest for Rakh'Likh the demon was brilliant, still have the quest reward on my shaman from it lol!

Unfortunately, after T11, everything kinda went downhill, ZA/ZG rehashes were just lame (not the instances themselves, but the fact that in order to cap VP you had to run those 2 only). I went casual within my guild around Firelands and although i did finish the raid on normal mode, I did feel it could have been longer. Ds in my honest opinion was poorly designed, it almost felt like they were too busy working on other things to make it decent.

I know a lot of people also said that WoTLK was better, but I'd put it only slightly above Cata. Rehashes, ToC, ICC being there for too long and dungeons made so easy, there was no thinking involved.

All in all, I am glad Cata is over, as I'm really enjoying MoP so far, even though Cata did bring us some wonderful additions to the game
    Warriors in PvP are like small hyperactive children in a candy shop made of bouncy castle.