Deleted

Soaking Garalon's Swipe as Ret

Hello y'all,

Basically we've had a bunch of 3% wipes yesterday on Garalon so I'm thinking about going Ret for him tonight (Prot is my MS) and soak his Swipe like that, my question is: Have any of you tried that? How did it work out? Did damage get too high? Also, did you go in full DPS deck or did you go with some/full tanking gear?

Thanks!

We three-heal it (Monk/RDruid/RSham, this is almost become overkill for us though it helps to deal with damage spikes)
    We get myself (blood dk) and a fury warrior soaking the swipes. Healers have to keep an eye on the warriors health but it's not undoable. He went with full dps gear. It's all about the armor from plate. The lowest he was getting hit was about 20-25% health so it's a bit sketchy sometimes.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Holyally View Post
    We three-heal it (Monk/RDruid/RSham, this is almost become overkill for us though it helps to deal with damage spikes)
    We get myself (blood dk) and a fury warrior soaking the swipes. Healers have to keep an eye on the warriors health but it's not undoable. He went with full dps gear. It's all about the armor from plate. The lowest he was getting hit was about 20-25% health so it's a bit sketchy sometimes.
    I see. Also, if you could tell, who do you have doing the kiting?

In our 10 man, we use a blood dk and fury warrior to soak the swipes. Three healers (druid, priest, and myself as holy), and 4 people running pheremones (2dps and 2 heals).

I heal the tanks, so I beacon the fury warrior and only have an issue when picking up the pheremones, so one of the other healers has to spot him a heal during that transition. But once I have the pheremones I just heal myself and he's good. Throw down a LoD when he takes a big spike but usually holy shock and EF zips him up pretty good.

Our biggest problem wasn't people dying per se, it was trying to figure out the best way to dps so as to not hit the enrage timer.

What seemed to work for us was having the melee attack the legs while the ranged just stay on the body the entire time. That way the dps loss from ranged running around is MUCH lower than if they were trying to get into every leg circle, which most of the time is sub 50% by the time they get there.

We got a fury warrior and guardian druid soaking swipes. Guardian druid is never in danger, but the fury warrior drops below 50% every swipe, not counting pheromone damage. I just put my beacon on him and all is fine, but a DPS soaking swpies does take a lot of damage and will need some extra attention. It should be fine if you 3 heal it, though.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

Quote Originally Posted by Holyally View Post
    As a healer, we 2-healed it and had a Prot Pally in Prot gear and a Blood DK in DPS gear as the most easy to heal without sacrificing a ton of damage (our prot pally doesn't have much DPS gear, if any). When the DK was in his Frost gear, it was a bit too much damage. Not that it wasn't healable, but it took away lots of time and attention off the raid. Once he switched specs it was much better. Your dps has to be on their game, though.
    Humans are the only species on the planet smart enough to be this stupid.

I did it as a ret paladin i had about 420k hp in my normal gear with buffs. If you want you can SS yourself or use a glyphed DP to take less damage from the swipes. The only disadvantage you have is you have 200k less hp then a tank but healers should be healing you up that it shouldn't be an issue.

Deleted
    do it in full ret gear eccept 1 trinkey -> the proc bubble on going under 50% tank trinkey from dragon soul if u stil have it as that should mean your safe from dieing for a time after some cleaves due to the bubble since the bubble it creates is determined by the size of the hit you recieved it should still work?

Last time we don't have any plate dps to soak so i as holy paladin soak swipes and it was not difficult to survive. Every plate can do it but healer need to pay more attention to this member because he can take spike dmg sometimes.
    Glyph DP and if u taking too much damage take stamina trinket or two and spec into sacred shield or selfless healer.

You are fine as a ret as long as healers keep tops you up asap, if you are at full health you won't die to the swipes. If you have a warlock I could really recommend you to use him. We used a warlock with the "tankingglyph" and the talent that let him move while casting last time and our healers said that they didn't notice a big difference in healing him compared to our tank.

According to the logs the different in swipe-damages taken between the warlock and the "real" tank was less then 1 million damage (10 man normal).

10+ Year Old Account
    Are both your cleave soakers in Tanking gear? Because when we finally got him down, we had our warrior tank in dps gear and myself in prot, throwing heals onto the warrior when needed, and that seemed to do the trick. I've had some good attempts soaking cleaves as ret, however. That said, I was usually in my tank gear for those attempts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Asphyxes View Post
    Taco dinner, movie at my mancave then I'll surprise her with a TCG tabard and tell her I love her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    my gf left me, should i Just go gay?
    Xothic - Prot Paladin

Deleted
    I tried it in Ret Gear but damage was a little to spiky and since I was also doing pheromones the DPS gain wasn't as good as I imagined it would be (my ret gear isn't great either). So we ended up going with 2 tanks and 2 healers instead (switched one for a dps) with 4 pheromone kiters.